Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

John O’Shea (Manchester United)

Read 19662 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Re: John O’Shea (Manchester United)
      Reply #92: Jun 24, 2011 08:31:10 pm
      As a squad player he's ahead of all of them. He can play 4 positions defensively well and that's something none of the rest of those players can do.

Carry and Kelly can play all the back four positions and are much better players than O'Shea.

Can't believe we are still discussing this to be honest and I've let myself get dragged in.

Damn this transfer window. :D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #93: Jun 24, 2011 08:42:01 pm
      Carry and Kelly can play all the back four positions and are much better players than O'Shea.

Can't believe we are still discussing this to be honest and I've let myself get dragged in.

With you all the way with your comment,I just wish we would hurry up and make our signings and put the transfer board to bed till December/Jamuary.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #94: Jun 24, 2011 09:18:01 pm

I've never seen Kelly play left back or defensive midfield so if you have then let me know.

As for the idea Carragher is a more accepting and versatile player than John O'Shea, just stop it.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #95: Jun 24, 2011 09:21:38 pm
       If we're being honest O'Shea is a decent player who would get into our squad no bother. I actualy think he is probably good enough to push very hard for a first team place with us, it's just that he's played for the Mancs. I've no bother with it either way to be honest. If we sign him I'd have nothing against him, if we don't I don't overly care either.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #96: Jun 24, 2011 09:21:44 pm
      I've never seen Kelly play left back or defensive midfield so if you have then let me know.

As for the idea Carragher is a more accepting and versatile player than John O'Shea, just stop it.
      If you haven't seen Kelly play left back, you obviously haven't watched Liverpool very much.

The second comment tells me you're a wum, so I want dignify that with a response.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #97: Jun 24, 2011 09:37:15 pm
      If you haven't seen Kelly play left back, you obviously haven't watched Liverpool very much.

The second comment tells me you're a wum, so I want dignify that with a response.

Forgot about his solid performance against the might Rabotniki. How many times have you seen him play there because from your comment you make it sound like it's his position when it clearly isn't.

I clearly haven't watched much of Liverpool, just been to 2 European Cup finals in my time both times not missing a game in those seasons.

Yeah I'm a wind up merchant because I know that O'Shea is a better utility player than Carragher who hasn't played out of position in a meaningful game for quite a while and made it known he wasn't happy when he did. Also what do we pay Carragher? What do they pay O'Shea? I know who I'd rather have as a SQUAD player given wages, age and versatility but then I'm just a WUM.

Still amazes me to this day how I heard so much vitriol aimed at Carragher early on in his career around Anfield and yet all those people seem to have miraculously dissappeared and now you can lecture someone on the net who you know the grand total of F**k all about.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #98: Jun 24, 2011 09:42:11 pm
      Yeah I'm a wind up merchant because I know that O'Shea is a better utility player than Carragher

Right you are joking now. Carragher has played RB, LB CB and in central midfield for Liverpool and if I'm not mistaken played as a Centre forward when he was younger.

Carra is not only a better utility player as you call it but he is better than O'Shea in every position they have both played in.

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #99: Jun 24, 2011 09:47:09 pm
      Forgot about his solid performance against the might Rabotniki. How many times have you seen him play there because from your comment you make it sound like it's his position when it clearly isn't.

I clearly haven't watched much of Liverpool, just been to 2 European Cup finals in my time both times not missing a game in those seasons.

Yeah I'm a wind up merchant because I know that O'Shea is a better utility player than Carragher who hasn't played out of position in a meaningful game for quite a while and made it known he wasn't happy when he did. Also what do we pay Carragher? What do they pay O'Shea? I know who I'd rather have as a SQUAD player given wages, age and versatility but then I'm just a WUM.

Still amazes me to this day how I heard so much vitriol aimed at Carragher early on in his career around Anfield and yet all those people seem to have miraculously dissappeared and now you can lecture someone on the net who you know the grand total of f**k all about.
      He played there agianst Rabotonicki and Trabsansopor(SP) and in our early europa league group stage games.

Right you are joking now. Carragher has played RB, LB CB and in central midfield for Liverpool and if I'm not mistaken played as a Centre forward when he was younger.

Carra is not only a better utility player as you call it but he is better than O'Shea in every position they have both played in.

Presicely.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #100: Jun 24, 2011 09:49:36 pm

HAS. He's 33 now, what he HAS done is irrelevant. If you put Carra in midfield or as a full back now he'd be overrun time and time again.

O'Shea has played out of position in a European Cup final and done a damn good job.

I'm not joking I can just see that a 30 year old who has sat on the bench and played wherever he is told and whenever he is told is a better utility player than a 33 year old who won't be playing for much longer.

Being a better fan or not a WUM isn't just closing your eyes to the fact and ignoring the context of a situation.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #101: Jun 24, 2011 09:51:50 pm
      F**k that would be a magical game to watch, a team of Carraghers vs a team of O'Sheas :lmao:
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #102: Jun 24, 2011 09:52:02 pm
      He played there agianst Rabotonicki and Trabsansopor(SP) and in our early europa league group stage games.
      Presicely.

Wow two games. So let's completely ignore the fact O'Shea has played out of position in countless games and been solid in league, FA Cup and European Cup games (including a final). You've clearly put me in my place talking about two Europa League games (one of which I forgot because to be perfectly honest the Europa League is a sh*t competition and I'm glad we're not in it this year!).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #103: Jun 24, 2011 09:58:31 pm
      HAS. He's 33 now, what he HAS done is irrelevant. If you put Carra in midfield or as a full back now he'd be overrun time and time again.

O'Shea has played out of position in a European Cup final and done a damn good job.

I'm not joking I can just see that a 30 year old who has sat on the bench and played wherever he is told and whenever he is told is a better utility player than a 33 year old who won't be playing for much longer.

Being a better fan or not a WUM isn't just closing your eyes to the fact and ignoring the context of a situation.

Of course Carra is older now but he was still our best defender during Kenny's time here and this coming from  someone who was highly critical of his form early in the season and last season.

But I didn't think I'd see the day that a poster on a LFC forum would think that John O'Shea was a better footballer than Carragher, but you should always expect the unexpected eh!
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #104: Jun 24, 2011 10:06:10 pm
      Of course Carra is older now but he was still our best defender during Kenny's time here and this coming from  someone who was highly critical of his form early in the season and last season.

But I didn't think I'd see the day that a poster on a LFC forum would think that John O'Shea was a better footballer than Carragher, but you should always expect the unexpected eh!

Player 1) 33 years old. Has been versatile in the past but has made it known he doesn't like to play out of position and has only really every truly excelled at the top level at what he and his last manager and current manager consider his position. On very high wages.

Player 2) 30 years old. Known as a player with a very amicable attitude and will play wherever the team needs him most and never say a derogatory word about it. Is used to being brought of the bench or asked at short notice to play in high pressure situations. Wouldn't demand a high salary (at least I imagine he doesn't).

Which player is more suited to being a squad player?

Yeah, we all know the answer until player 1's name becomes Carragher and player 2's name becomes O'Shea, then the context and facts get a bit blurred and the right answer makes you a WUM.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #105: Jun 24, 2011 10:18:06 pm
      then the context and facts get a bit blurred and the right answer makes you a WUM.

Never once called you a WUM mate. You must be confusing me with someone else.

I thought you were only having a debate but it appears by how you are writing that you would actually like us to sign O'Shea and if you think a 30 year old utility player is a good signing for us then so be it.

I'm done with this thread as I said before I can't believe I kept getting dragged into this one.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #106: Jun 24, 2011 10:23:23 pm

Four pages of discussion on O'Shea, based on a rumour from the ''click-manchester.com'' ... Interesting ...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #107: Jun 24, 2011 10:30:30 pm
      Four pages of discussion on O'Shea, based on a rumour from the ''click-manchester.com'' ... Interesting ...

Agree!

I've already let myself get dragged into this debate twice tonight after saying I'd never be in this thread again!! :D
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #108: Jun 24, 2011 10:36:04 pm
      This thread is a Fuc*in joke...end of
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,325 posts | 8602 
      Reply #109: Jun 24, 2011 10:50:46 pm

Which final? You obviously mean Moscow, as the mancs have been raped twice by barca, so it wasn't those two games. I'll be honest THE only things I remember from the Moscow final is Drogba being sent off, Terry missing a penalty and a couple of those manc shitbags singing "without killing anybody we've won it three times" and not one F***ing gobs***e journo said a F***ing dickie bird the next day.

As for who I'd rather have it would be Jamie every single F***ing day and twice on a Sunday

And what did he do in a European Cup final apart from put every single F***ing limb on the line in Istanbul to make sure we did not concede again once we got it back to 3-3.

There is not a chance O'F***ing gay is coming here, I don't care if he supported us, he's a sh*t, thin Peter Kay lookalike, camp manc c**t!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #110: Jun 24, 2011 10:51:53 pm
      There is not a chance O'f**king gay is coming here, I don't care if he supported us, he's a sh*t, thin Peter Kay lookalike, camp manc c**t!

Perfect way to end this thread ;D ;D
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #111: Jun 24, 2011 11:02:53 pm
      Never once called you a WUM mate. You must be confusing me with someone else.

I thought you were only having a debate but it appears by how you are writing that you would actually like us to sign O'Shea and if you think a 30 year old utility player is a good signing for us then so be it.

I'm done with this thread as I said before I can't believe I kept getting dragged into this one.

No I don't want us to sign him at all.

We've got Robinson, Flanno, Kelly and Wisdom who I see as at least squad players if not more.

I just think it's funny hearing people completely write off what he can give or has given to a team when he's now been playing for the Champions of England for about 8 years and then saying squad depth is important.

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,484 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #112: Jun 25, 2011 10:58:54 am
      This has no legs.... just like O'Shea.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #113: Jun 25, 2011 11:23:10 am
      John O'Shea has made a decent career out of not being quite good enough.

He offers us nothing we don't already have, either established or coming through, and he has the baggage of being one of them.

If, if, if we were to go for one of theirs - he'd have to be a lot better than O'Shea.

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #114: Jun 25, 2011 12:17:26 pm
      O Shea ! are ye joking . We"re scraping the end of the barrel by even mentioning his name ,this thread is a waste of time. >:(

Quick Reply