Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Marc Pelosi (U.S. Under-17 )

Read 6161 times
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Marc Pelosi (U.S. Under-17 )
      Jul 02, 2011 04:39:15 am
      I just heard from somewhere that Liverpool have set their eye on this young American prodigy Marc Pelosi. I don't know whether it's worth putting up here...
      Liverpool Transfer Rumors: U.S. Under-17 Star Marc Pelosi
      In the midst of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup currently underway in Mexico, Liverpool FC is keeping a close eye on at least one prospect for a potential signing: speedy American midfielder Marc Pelosi.

Thus far in the tournament, Pelosi's speed, skill on the ball, and impressive ability to engineer quality plays, have played a key role in earning the American side a Round of Sixteen berth.  Pelosi will not be eligible to play in that first knockout match against Germany, however, after being shown yellow twice in the final group stage match against New Zealand.

If the Stars and Stripes can survive this tough matchup without him, all bets are on Pelosi helping his squad make a strong run towards the final.

The rumors stem from reports that Liverpool representatives, after watching Pelosi early in the tournament, contacted the U.S. Soccer Federation about the American youngster, raising questions about an upcoming offer.

Following these rumors, Pelosi has publicly stated that his ultimate decision "depends on the offers that are coming in. Going pro is my first priority. We heard there was some strong interest from Liverpool, and Germany a few places, so I’m just deciding where to go."

Also reported to be interested: Tottenham Hotspur.

“I’m hoping I can sign with a big club," Pelosi told MLSSoccer.com. “Or a club that could give me some minutes in Europe, maybe.”

For that reason, some have suggested that his better options, if the reports of their interest are accurate, would be either Tottenham or a club in Bundesliga.  It is also notable that Pelosi already carries a German passport.

Still, with Liverpool FC's new American ownership, you can bet the club would have a particular interest in bringing whatever quality talent they can find from the U.S.  Expect more on this in the coming weeks.
      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/721556-liverpool-transfer-rumours-the-latest-gossip-on-reds-summer-transfer-targets/entry/102420-liverpool-transfer-rumours-latest-gossip-on-race-for-charlie-adam-for-june-27#/articles/753948-liverpool-transfer-rumors-us-under-17-star-marc-pelosi
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: Marc Pelosi (U.S. Under-17 )
      Reply #1: Jul 02, 2011 05:44:52 am
      They got dominated by Germany too. I could see him as one for the future.
      macca8
      • Started Topic

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #2: Jul 02, 2011 06:04:20 am
      I never watched US played so I don't know his capabilities. So how do you rate him?
      One of the responses said this:
       Pelosi did NOT play vs. Germany since he got 2 yellows before... Germany wouldn't have toyed with the US if he'd played... Pelosi is at a different level. He's always been, since the age of 9.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 02, 2011 06:40:10 am
      Funny thing about americans is that they require a work permit.
      Also, if he's 17, he might not be allowed to sign abroad until he's 18.
      luckofirish8
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 454 posts | 20 
      Reply #4: Jul 02, 2011 08:01:32 am
      His team USA profile list Tottenham as his favorite club.

Personal: Loves sports and is a huge San Jose Sharks Fan … Favorite soccer player is Mesut Özil and his favorite team is Tottenham … Likes Chines food … Favorite place he’s traveled is Spain … Was born in Germany

http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/U-17-MNT/P/Marc-Pelosi.aspx
      macca8
      • Started Topic

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #5: Jul 02, 2011 08:09:15 am
      Maybe a tour of Anfield might convert him ;D!
      achilleas10
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      • Born Red, Live Red, Die Red
      Reply #6: Jul 02, 2011 08:21:31 am
      Seriously, Tottenham scouters are reading the "Summer transfer board". I can't understand how they show interest in every player in this forum...
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #7: Jul 02, 2011 04:00:45 pm
      yeah we got our ass ran by germany without him, he's a good player, has a good head on his shoulders. when you watch the u17s he has that captain's aura
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #8: Jul 02, 2011 04:33:47 pm
      Funny thing about americans is that they require a work permit.
      Also, if he's 17, he might not be allowed to sign abroad until he's 18.

in the article there it says he has a german passport, so wouldn't he be alright?
      Comatorium
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 696 posts |
      Reply #9: Jul 02, 2011 05:01:28 pm
      Weren't we already linked with an American youngster in January? Nothing transpired then and the fact that we won't feature in Europa might turn his sights elsewhere...
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Jul 02, 2011 06:12:29 pm
      Actually I don't think he would require a work permit. He holds a German passport. Correct me if I'm wrong please :)
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Ryan Giggs shagged my mum.
      Reply #11: Jul 02, 2011 07:35:57 pm
      Is he a free agent or what?
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #12: Jul 11, 2011 02:33:40 pm
      Has this kid officially signed?  I am really hopeful about this one as I would love to see a talented young American in the team!  I just read an analysis by Jen Chang about him:

Been asked for my thoughts on U.S. U-17 international Marc Pelosi who says he has contract offers from Liverpool and a number of other clubs. Pelosi is a former defender who lately has played as a holding midfielder. On the plus side: He's composed on the ball, keeps possession, is a tidy passer and positionally disciplined.  Has the ability to time his runs into the box late and score, although think his resume has been padded by goals against weaker CONCACAF opposition. On the downside, he's not very creative or imaginative in his passing (a lot of it is sideways and backwards), is one-paced and doesn't have much ability to go past a man on the dribble.  Overall think Pelosi is a decent prospect and certainly one of the top U.S. youth prospects (generally rated #1 in his age group over here in the U.S.) but would be very surprised if he was able to break into the first team squad of a top-8 Premier League team.

While I will agree with most of this, I think it is far too early to write off such a talented young player so early in his career.  I bet most critics would have written Xabi Alonso off as being too slow to play for a top club when he was 17-18 years old, but look at him now!  I'm not trying to say that this kid is the new Alonso, only that he is young, talented, and has plenty of time to grow and develop into a top player.  Hopefully this one is finalized soon! 
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Jul 11, 2011 02:38:23 pm
      Sounds like an inferior version of Conor Coady. Defender who now plays midfield, composed, tidy passer and can also get forward to score.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Jul 11, 2011 03:25:20 pm
      Sounds like an inferior version of Conor Coady. Defender who now plays midfield, composed, tidy passer and can also get forward to score.

Everybody in the world that we're linked with seems to be inferior to our young players during this transfer window.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #15: Jul 11, 2011 03:32:56 pm

Everybody in the world that we're linked with seems to be inferior to our young players during this transfer window.

I'm not sure why people are underrating this lad already.... he is only 17 years old and is a very highly regarded talent in the US youth setup.  He is certainly rated higher at his age than Stuart Holden was, and if he becomes as good a player as Holden then I'd say we've got a real gem!  

The good and bad things about young players is that they can look like world beaters at 17-18 years old, and turn out to be sh*t... look at Jermaine Pennant!  Others can look average or slightly above average and turn out to be great players..... look at Xabi Alonso.  Xabi only had a handful of appearances for the Spain U-18's and U-21's, but he is by all means one of the best CM's in the game now!  Some players develop later than others.  Don't write off a talented youngster before he is even 18 years old!  

Edit:  Also, learning from Segura and Borrell, and training with our other academy/reserve players will only help with his development. 
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Jul 11, 2011 03:45:51 pm
      The one thing holding young American talent back is playing with players as good or better than them. Not saying I rate Pelosi as I've only seen him once, but hell, everyone would improve under Liverpool's youth setup at that age. Would be much better than joining the Red Bulls' youth setup or something like that :D
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #17: Jul 11, 2011 03:53:38 pm
      The one thing holding young American talent back is playing with players as good or better than them. Not saying I rate Pelosi as I've only seen him once, but hell, everyone would improve under Liverpool's youth setup at that age. Would be much better than joining the Red Bulls' youth setup or something like that :D

Exactly!  Most of our young talents go play in college at the age of 18, and end up playing against other mediocre players such as myself  :roll:  IF more of them transferred directly to top academies at the age of 16, 17, or 18, I think we would see more of them make it a top level.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #18: Jul 11, 2011 04:12:19 pm
      One of my American mates knows this kid and absolutely raves on him.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #19: Jul 11, 2011 04:24:33 pm
      Watched this lad at the USA Residential program when he was 15, thought he looked as average as could be. He has a good engine about him, and could develop into a tidy player but he's nothing to get excited about me thinks
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Jul 11, 2011 04:29:56 pm
      Exactly!  Most of our young talents go play in college at the age of 18, and end up playing against other mediocre players such as myself  :roll:  IF more of them transferred directly to top academies at the age of 16, 17, or 18, I think we would see more of them make it a top level.

Let's get you in the academy then! I'm only 25, surely there's a senior circuit we'll be eligible for some day :D
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #21: Jul 11, 2011 04:32:38 pm
      Watched this lad at the USA Residential program when he was 15, thought he looked as average as could be. He has a good engine about him, and could develop into a tidy player but he's nothing to get excited about me thinks

I'd bet players like Stevie G and Jamie Carragher had average games when they were 15 too!  In fact, I'd even be willing to bet they had some downright stinkers at times as all young lads do.  

I believe that it is downright silly to dismiss a talented player before he is even 18 years old!  I'm not touting him to be the next big thing, but he is young, talented, and full of potential.  If he has the drive, work ethic, and mentality to become great, then I believe he has the tools to do so.  

Let's get you in the academy then! I'm only 25, surely there's a senior circuit we'll be eligible for some day :D

Thats a good shout!  Who do I send my recruiting video to?  This will be me soon!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #22: Jul 11, 2011 04:51:48 pm
      I saw him in training and that was my opinion of him. He didn't stick out among a group of average players and that's what you'd like to see at his age.

Quick Reply