Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. If you were offereed 4th place now, would you grab it with both hands?

Yes
      108 (37.2%)
      No.
      182 (62.8%)

Total Members Voted: 284

VOTE: Would you take 4th right now? (June 2011)

Read 35626 times
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Re: Would you take 4th right now?
      Reply #46: Jun 29, 2011 12:55:33 pm
       I am surprised at the amount of people who said "no"

We all want to win the league and that is what we should be aiming for every year but in terms of money "yes" is the only answer, if 4th was guaranteed we could not risk finishing outside the top 4

We need the money
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #47: Jun 29, 2011 12:59:11 pm

We need to be champions more.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      Reply #48: Jun 29, 2011 01:07:38 pm
      Don't think anyone is "happy" to settle for it but the question is quite specific in that would you take CL football now if it was offered.

I know what the question is and its a sad reflection on football and in particular fans of thiis great club that finishing 4th is seen as an achievment. 4th is fooking 4th. Great ye get in the champions league, still means 3 teams finished ahead of ye still means you are not champions. Does nobody give a shi* about that anymore?

4th!!   
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      Reply #49: Jun 29, 2011 01:19:20 pm
      I am a realist and it does my head in sometimes  :mad: God I want us to wipe the board and win everything, but at this moment and being surrounded by teams owned by billionaires with their monopoly money, yes It would be great for the club to get back in the CL!

So let me get this right. Because other clubs have billionaire owners and might buy x y z we, if it was an option, should say well take 4th now? Well then the game is dead. If 11 men cant go out to play 11 men every week with the will and belief they can beat the other 11 whats the point. Accepting 4th as a good thing before 1 game is played is a joke. And nothing posted here will chnage my mind.

I agree champions league football be great to have back, Id much rather it as champions could even be pleased to finish 2nd after a battle for the title but 4th no way. Id only be happy with 4th in a circumstance similar to what we just had where a clown in charge see's us looking like relegation candidates and a saviour climbed us up to 4th
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #50: Jun 29, 2011 01:49:20 pm
       We all want to win the league next year and we might win it but being realistic Man U, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal are more likely to win the league than us 
       We have to get into the top 4 due to the extra revenue playing in the CL will make us.

Every year we fail to make it into the CL we risk falling further behind the teams who do

So while I love the fact that so many Liverpool fans are not happy to take 4th place, if we had a choice to take 4th right now, it would be madness not to
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #51: Jun 29, 2011 01:54:25 pm
      No, Liverpool is about aiming for 1st.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #52: Jun 29, 2011 02:03:34 pm
      I have to continue to believe that we're aiming higher than 4th. That's why it's increasingly difficult to vote. Realistically 4th would be a good achievement considering the sh*te we've been through the past few seasons.

I want to be right up there fighting tooth and nail every game. I won't settle for anything less as far as drive, passion, and focus is concerned.

Obviously we're going to have some off games, I can accept that. Some days just won't be ours. I just want consistency throughout the course of the season. Getting maximum points against our 'top 4 rivals' will give us the best possible chance to give the League a real go.

We need take our chances in front of goal and avoid stupid draws. The belief is there, we've been immense since Kenny & Steve took over. With the form table putting us 2nd at the end of the season, you can only hope and pray for more of the same.

Fingers are tightly crossed for more signings. Although too many changes could upset the balance of the team, we definitely need some better options in depth & wide players (Downing, Mata, N'Zogbia, Lennon?)

I can't wait to get the season under way. A win will set us right on our way.

I went with 'No'. I'd love to see us finish up there, I think it's 100% possible.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #53: Jun 29, 2011 02:07:34 pm
      Just a reminder here on those who think being in the Champions League will attract the biggest stars around. In 2005 we won the European Cup, that summer we brought in - Crouch, Sissoko, Zenden and Reina. None of whom, at the time, were considered world class. And only Reina has gone on to become world class.

Champions League does not mean you can attract the biggest names, it's an added incentive fair enough but I'd rather have a player who wants to play for Liverpool Football Club and not somebody who wants to play for a Champions League club which we just happen to be.

And finally, I'm sick and tired of these people moaning about getting top stars. We have never been one to go out and buy the top, top bracket of football's finest. That is not the way of this club. This club buys players and makes them world stars i.e. Pepe Reina as earlier mentioned. We didn't go for Buffon, Casiallas, Khan or any other past goalkeeping name I can think of off the top of me head. We singled out a good keeper with a somewhat growing reputation and turned him into the world's best.

We didn't sign Pele in the 60s, we signed some lad from Motherwell called Ian St John. We didn't sign Cruyff in the 70s, we signed some no mark from Scunthrope called Kevin Keegan. We didn't buy Maradona in the 80s, we signed some kid from Chester called Ian Rush. We didn't sign Ronaldo in the 90s, we promoted some local talent called Robbie Fowler. We didn't sign Villa in the 00s, we invested our money into a lad with a growing reputation named Torres and once he sh*t on us we done the same with Suarez.

So forget us needing to buy world stars, we don't and we certainly shouldn't need Champions League football to attract them anyway. If a player wants to play for Liverpool Football Club, they will do so regardless of Champions League football. So accepting fourth, or anything other than first, before the season has started is beyond belief.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #54: Jun 29, 2011 02:24:30 pm
      Yes. I want to see top players wear the red shirt and without CL or high wages they're reluctant to sign.
      And without at least one top winger this summer we are hardly title contenders.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #55: Jun 29, 2011 02:36:43 pm
      F***ing hell Billy after all the moaning you've done regarding what's good enough for LFC, then you go and ask that.

And for everyone else saying yes, would you have left the attaturk at ht as well!!

STAND!!!

Resounding no from me.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #56: Jun 29, 2011 02:36:59 pm
      Just a reminder here on those who think being in the Champions League will attract the biggest stars around. In 2005 we won the European Cup, that summer we brought in - Crouch, Sissoko, Zenden and Reina. None of whom, at the time, were considered world class. And only Reina has gone on to become world class.

Champions League does not mean you can attract the biggest names, it's an added incentive fair enough but I'd rather have a player who wants to play for Liverpool Football Club and not somebody who wants to play for a Champions League club which we just happen to be.

And finally, I'm sick and tired of these people moaning about getting top stars. We have never been one to go out and buy the top, top bracket of football's finest. That is not the way of this club. This club buys players and makes them world stars I.e. Pepe Reina as earlier mentioned. We didn't go for Buffon, Casiallas, Khan or any other past goalkeeping name I can think of off the top of me head. We singled out a good keeper with a somewhat growing reputation and turned him into the world's best.

We didn't sign Pele in the 60s, we signed some lad from Motherwell called Ian St John. We didn't sign Cruyff in the 70s, we signed some no mark from Scunthrope called Kevin Keegan. We didn't buy Maradona in the 80s, we signed some kid from Chester called Ian Rush. We didn't sign Ronaldo in the 90s, we promoted some local talent called Robbie Fowler. We didn't sign Villa in the 00s, we invested our money into a lad with a growing reputation named Torres and once he sh*t on us we done the same with Suarez.

So forget us needing to buy world stars, we don't and we certainly shouldn't need Champions League football to attract them anyway. If a player wants to play for Liverpool Football Club, they will do so regardless of Champions League football. So accepting fourth, or anything other than first, before the season has started is beyond belief.

Well said DLS. And to expand on your point about not buying 'stars', some of hte most successful transfers of recent years involved players who were relative 'unknown quantities' in relation to the stars of the time. Thierry Henry, for example was a somewhat failing winger before he joined Arsenal, Ronaldo was an unknown quantity when he signed for Utd. I'm sure there are many more examples that goes to prove the point you don't need to buy established 'stars' to be a success.

The most important thing is building the team as a unit.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #57: Jun 29, 2011 02:40:13 pm
      F***ing hell Billy after all the moaning you've done regarding what's good enough for LFC, then you go and ask that.

And for everyone else saying yes, would you have left the attaturk at ht as well!!

STAND!!!

Resounding no from me.

I asked it, but surprisingly, it's a no from me. ;D
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #58: Jun 29, 2011 02:40:25 pm

Great post, and I agree with this, but there's not a lot of Suarez's out there, who don't give a sh*t if we offer C/L footy or not.

I'm hoping though, that we'll be able to attract more of these kind of players, who wants to come play for us, because we're Liverpool.

As to the question in the OP, it's a NO.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #59: Jun 29, 2011 02:44:21 pm
      I asked it, but surprisingly, it's a no from me. ;D

I'll admit firing off too quickly on that one, didn't see your other post!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #60: Jun 29, 2011 02:47:41 pm
      I'll admit firing off too quickly on that one, didn't see your other post!!

:lmao:

Silly person. ;)
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #61: Jun 29, 2011 02:52:50 pm
      "Aim for the sky and you'll hit the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor."

No.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #62: Jun 29, 2011 02:54:05 pm
      "It's a marathon, not a snickers."

*Sorry meant Sprint ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #63: Jun 29, 2011 02:54:16 pm
      I want to be first :)
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #64: Jun 29, 2011 03:13:11 pm
      I am surprised at the amount of people who said "no"

We all want to win the league and that is what we should be aiming for every year but in terms of money "yes" is the only answer, if 4th was guaranteed we could not risk finishing outside the top 4

We need the money

Nothing but "THE BEST" is good enough for Liverpool.

Money will come when you are "The Champion"

You'LL Never Walk Alone

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #65: Jun 29, 2011 03:31:13 pm
      Actually surprised by the amount of Yes's if Im honest.

I respect theres a realist perspective, but stranger things have happened in football. We saw what Kenny and Clarke can do with the lads in the last half of the season, we produced title challenging form with a squad that supposedly wasn't fit to lace other teams boots. With a few quality additions replacing some of the deadwood (Still 2 months left of the transfer window despite the panicking), theres absolutely no reason in my mind why we shouldn't be aiming for the very best & be back were we belong, top of the pile.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #66: Jun 29, 2011 03:37:55 pm
       Would be interesting to know what supporter of other teams think

I would expect a large percentage would say we should take 4th
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #67: Jun 29, 2011 03:45:11 pm
      If we finish 4th then would people be disappointed with Kenny, a genuine question
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #68: Jun 29, 2011 03:52:29 pm
      If we finish 4th then would people be disappointed with Kenny, a genuine question

I'd see 4th as a definite sign of improvement.  Especially if we take the squads as they are now.

Quick Reply