Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Culture of moral corruption in football?

Read 2159 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Culture of moral corruption in football?
      Aug 03, 2011 09:27:19 pm
      After the claim made by Ian Ayre that Liverpool players should be role models to young kids around the world it struck me how desperate a situation football is in when it comes to role models.

Take a look at Manchester United alone for example. An infamous Christmas party, Rio Ferdinand "forgetting" to attend a drugs tests, Wayne Rooney's frolicking with prostitutes and the Ryan Giggs epic which made Tiger Woods family life look like the Brady Bunch are just some of the scandals that have seen this club hit the front pages and not just the back pages. For me it not only displays a breathtaking and shocking form of arrogance away from the field but the main reason why footballers are held in such low estimations in this country. Clearly for people like Sir Alex Ferguson they only care about winning on the field but as major figures within the game is it also his responsiblity to stress the importance of clean living away from the field to his players?

Does the sleaze culture away from the football field bother you and how big a problem is it within the sport?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8621 
      Re: Culture of moral corruption in football?
      Reply #1: Aug 04, 2011 02:41:45 am
      And players in the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s weren't getting pissed nand shagging all sorts?

Oh yeah we just didn't have that many celebrity glossy mags and sh*t newspapers banging on about it!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: Aug 04, 2011 07:42:32 pm
      And players in the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s weren't getting pissed nand shagging all sorts?

Oh yeah we just didn't have that many celebrity glossy mags and sh*t newspapers banging on about it!!

Not contesting that although it is right.
      Bier
      Reply #3: Aug 04, 2011 09:15:38 pm
      Does the sleaze culture away from the football field bother you and how big a problem is it within the sport?
      No, it doesn't. I'm more bothered by the media reporting on it. I don't think it's a bigger problem than it is in the rest of society. Football players aren't exactly more intelligent or better than other people, so I'm not sure why they're expected to have higher morals and act more responsible.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Aug 05, 2011 12:00:13 am
      Players aren't role models.  That's a job for parents.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #5: Aug 05, 2011 10:22:47 am
      Aren't most footballers parents anyway, don't they have a responsibility for their kids. Personally, I think the increase in money is the main reason, they think they are untouchable now and can do whatever they like. They know they aren't going to be dropped even if they shoot someone (Cole) because the manager depends on his job and keeping his big fat pay check. Also they know if they have an affair their missus will stay with them in order to keep his money and keep publicity.
      Bier
      Reply #6: Aug 05, 2011 12:50:41 pm
      It's not worse now then it was 40 years ago, so the increase of money didn't do much.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Aug 05, 2011 01:03:32 pm

This.

I am sorry but growing up Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler and Steven Gerrard were players I idolised and wanted to play football just like them.

Didn't want to talk like the, act like them, dress like them though.

I honestly do not see why young footballers, who are often thick as pig sh*t, and have more money than they know what to do with, should be expected to act responsably because they are "role models".

No they are not, and parents should teach them that. If you want to look at role models then Doctors, care workers, charity workers and voluntary workers would probably be more suitable than a Paul Scholes or an Andy Carroll.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #8: Aug 05, 2011 01:22:00 pm
      Too emphasise the point there's some Bleacher report footage of Slur Alcho when confronted by several reporters telling a Daily Mail employee "you and your paper can F**k off," a good example indeed not to the young but of a foul mouthed old drunkard.
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2011 01:28:13 pm by stuey »
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #9: Aug 05, 2011 01:31:10 pm
      Too emphasise the point there's some Bleacher report footage of Slur Alcho when confronted by several reporters telling a Daily Mail employee "you and your paper can f**k off," a good example indeed not to the young but of a foul mouthed old drunkard.

Is that any different then Dalglish telling Wenger to "piss off"?

Or players swearing at camera's or hearing cursing chants at games?

We live in a society where everything a footballer says or does is lightened up in the media.

You could say Rooney is a bad "role model" which he is because he cheats on his wife, swears in public to millions of viewers - including young kids and just has a general arrogance to everyone.

Same could be said for Andy Carroll - beating up his girlfriend - a woman beater -  or perhaps it was because he "throw" glass into another team mates face.

Also I don't think managers are role models to young kids - the footballers themselves are.
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2011 01:36:29 pm by lfc_ynwa »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #10: Aug 05, 2011 03:07:40 pm
      Is that any different then Dalglish telling Wenger to "piss off"?

Or players swearing at camera's or hearing cursing chants at games?

We live in a society where everything a footballer says or does is lightened up in the media.

You could say Rooney is a bad "role model" which he is because he cheats on his wife, swears in public to millions of viewers - including young kids and just has a general arrogance to everyone.

Same could be said for Andy Carroll - beating up his girlfriend - a woman beater -  or perhaps it was because he "throw" glass into another team mates face.

Also I don't think managers are role models to young kids - the footballers themselves are.
      There is certainly a difference with the Wenger incident, that was in the context of a sporting contest when emotions become heated and people sometimes act in an uncharacteristic manner (excluding Wenger of course who acts like a pr**k all of the time).
      Ferguson was asked a polite question in full view of the media and retorted as only he knows how, act your age was never more applicable.

Quick Reply