Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Lack of summer activity due to the wage bill?

Read 9441 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Lack of summer activity due to the wage bill?
      Reply #23: Jun 29, 2011 03:58:13 pm
      Commoli promised more big names after we signed Henderson.

So I trust we will sign more.

But we are probably looking to reduce the squad before we add more.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #24: Jun 29, 2011 05:35:09 pm
      Think you are right there PGlynn that's the way it is looking,just think we all have a little bit of anxiety about not getting players in.
      I think a lot of players are on holidays and stuff,so not to worried yet,if it was middle of August i would be shitting a brick.

staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #25: Jun 29, 2011 05:42:17 pm
      I am just throwing this out there for you guys to explain the math for me, cause tbh its not one of my strong points.

It seems the wages for our 'deadwood' could be putting clubs off, is it worth letting some of them go on a freeby. For example, Cole and Jova cost us nothing but a signing on fee, we will be saving on wages, so is there any harm done letting them go for free.?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #26: Jun 29, 2011 05:44:50 pm
      I'm not convinced there's a lack of summer activity, so to speak, I think it's just all being done very quietly in the background.  From our POV it might look like we've been apprehensive about Wickham, Downing and Adam - I think it's more a case of finding the right deal for us and not being afraid to walk away if it isn't the right deal.  Just a hunch.

When I say right deal, I'm thinking along the lines of - well we're keen on Downing but we knows there's better value out there but (and this is just an example) if we can give them a Cole/Jovanovic/Poulsen/N'Gog we won't be needing, that's the type of deal we might be looking to strike and that might be the reason we're thinking "well that looks like a lack of summer activity from our part".
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #27: Jun 29, 2011 05:57:27 pm
      Why are people Getting So Restless? Because we signed Henderson in a jiffy so you expect all negotiations will be that easy? Plus, we've been interested in a million players. If we'd bought him for 13 million pounds everyone here would be on about - OVERPAYING FOR POTENT...IAL. Give me a break. If he wasn't worth 13 mil, too bad. We'll go for someone else. We have the money so have some patience, we'll go for the best players - wait till 1 July. Good things will start happening. And always judge the window at its very end. What's wrong with you guys?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28: Jun 29, 2011 06:09:14 pm
       The previous regimes have left us with too much deadwood that much is true, but I don't personally think that will put the break on Kenny being able to bring his own players in. Yes players such Jovanovic and N'Gog are a mile away from being good enough, but if the new owners are serious about improving on last seasons sixth, and the season befores even worse than that, then they have to let the king do his stuff. I think they will.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Jun 29, 2011 07:07:07 pm
      John Henry.

"Some things happen early and some late. The important thing is that things happen. Sometimes what you avoid is important."

That was a response to a questions regarding the lack of activity that I think we were all expecting in the market so far, could say that's gone a long way to calming my fears, was good to see him engaging with fans in a calm and clear and manner.
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #30: Jun 29, 2011 08:01:27 pm
      John Henry.

"Some things happen early and some late. The important thing is that things happen. Sometimes what you avoid is important."

That was a response to a questions regarding the lack of activity that I think we were all expecting in the market so far, could say that's gone a long way to calming my fears, was good to see him engaging with fans in a calm and clear and manner.

Sorry Red is that a recent interview? Sorry to ask but if it is recent could you post a link wouldnt mind giving it a read my self.

Nice one
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #31: Jun 29, 2011 08:06:09 pm
      Now I can't say I haven't noticed one or two people are questioning the funds we may have available this summer to strengthen our squad, stating that maybe a sell to buy policy is in order, whether that is due to lack of arrivals I don't know but I've been thinking about this for a few days myself now.

Now my feelings is starting to tip over to we are employing a sell to buy policy but not in the manner that we need to sell players to raise funds, but that we need to sell players to reduce the wage bill to free up wages for new arrivals.

My main concerns as it stands at the minute is I've searched the news for consistent links to all the players the majority of us would agree would be the first that should be shipped out, Brad Jones, Emiliano Insua, Sotiris Kyrigakos, Paul Konchesky, Christian Poulsen, Nabil Elzhar, Joe Cole, Milan Jovanovic, David N'Gog and there is nothing really strongly linking these players with a move away.

N'Gog as an example held talks with Sunderland last week, but it appears his wage demands have either stalled the deal or collapsed it completely, so just like the others mentioned above it appears at the moment that we are far away from getting him off our books.

Now I know we all want to see signings being made but is it economically viable for the club, taking into consideration the FFP rules are starting to be monitored and the club is already running an annual wage bill of £121m or there or there abouts ?

I'll be honest its the lack of movement of the players that we class as deadwood is starting to give me concerns as I'm starting to think that is having an impact on our arrivals, now I know there is 5-6 weeks of the window left but can we really expect an influx of signings when we appear to be struggling to shift the deadwood ?

Your thoughts ?

This is exactly the point I was making last night in my post on the con or wick ham thread
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #32: Jun 29, 2011 08:09:55 pm
      Sorry Red is that a recent interview? Sorry to ask but if it is recent could you post a link wouldnt mind giving it a read my self.

Nice one

He's been on twitter engaging with the fans and answering questions mate.

http://twitter.com/#/John_W_Henry
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #33: Jun 29, 2011 08:17:43 pm
      He's been on twitter engaging with the fans and answering questions mate.

http://twitter.com/#/John_W_Henry

thanks man
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #34: Jun 29, 2011 08:34:06 pm
      The wage bill will definitely affect summer signings unless we can shift or loan out the wasters,the higher the wage bill the more us supporters will pay on tickets and merchandise,personally i think FSG are too clever to let that happen, H@G bad decisions are still causing us problems .
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #35: Jun 30, 2011 12:27:51 am
      It possibly is the wage bill affecting possible deals but we've had 6 mths to clear out this crap plus NESV knew of these deals when they bought the club. At best these players will be loaned or moved on for major losses so lets just accept that and get on with it. Either you can afford to swallow these losses or not so the message being sent about doing business this summer is a great positive spin for the club but of little effect in reality if weve got no cash.

Meanwhile players and clubs are agreeing deals all over the shop and we seem to be missing out on deals over a few quid that I can only logically think that we just dont have quite simply.Our best excuse being well spurs,city and arsenal havent done anything yet??? They all placed ahead of us last year. Besides we should just be worrying about ourselves and what we need. Identify targets and go and get them.

The Liverpool way is wasted if you just dont have the cash to spend in the first place. SO if Wickham,young,adam etc are not our targets then who the hell are??!! Im perplexed how Sunderland have outbid us for a young talent and John Henry has the nerve to say we dont do short term deals ?!?!??

It would appear after 6 months of planning and both kenny and comolli working on deals that we just dont have the cash to compete and the only thing going to change my opinion on this is actually making some deals not just using smokescreens and privacy saying its the liverpool way. I dont think we have the scouting network,reputation or european football to offer to young talents ahead of the likes of Arsenal and its only successful for the business side of their club, on the pitch they havent won a competition for years just like us.

Our net spend is approx Henderson with new owners after 6 months.Theyve got 2 months to change that but im not convinced we have the means to get who we want.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #36: Jun 30, 2011 12:28:48 am
      It's a very good point about the wage bill and how it could be affecting potential transfers in.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned over the last week or so, not at the players we are being linked with, more by the apparent lack of activity as we get closer to the beginning of pre season.

But I'll not panic just yet as someone said on here a while ago that the Henderson deal came out of nowhere and it is possible that the media and so called ITK's haven't got a clue who we are after and all our dealings are again being kept as quiet as possible.

Concerned we are not shifting the deadwood. Not overly concerned yet about lack of signings so far.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #37: Jun 30, 2011 12:31:49 am
      It's a very good point about the wage bill and how it could be affecting potential transfers in.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned over the last week or so, not at the players we are being linked with, more by the apparent lack of activity as we get closer to the beginning of pre season.

But I'll not panic just yet as someone said on here a while ago that the Henderson deal came out of nowhere and it is possible that the media and so called ITK's haven't got a clue who we are after and all our dealings are again being kept as quiet as possible.

Concerned we are not shifting the deadwood. Not overly concerned yet about lack of signings so far.

Issue with the deadwood is that nobody in England want's them, which means the only place we can dump them is outside and that window is not open yet anyway...End of July I will start questioning..until then I am ok waiting to see what happens.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #38: Jun 30, 2011 12:48:47 am
      Issue with the deadwood is that nobody in England want's them, which means the only place we can dump them is outside and that window is not open yet anyway...End of July I will start questioning..until then I am ok waiting to see what happens.

This July business is a new smokescreen for us. All the details of the deal including medicals and contracts can be agreed now just not registered until July 1st. What are we waiting for??

Utd have all but sealed 50m of great business and we have bloody jordan henderson who i dont rate anyways. Not impressed preseason first game in 2 weeks. Even if we get Henderson,Adam and Downing sad to say dont rate them as the same category as utds trio.
      John Henry.

Yeh lets avoid sanchez,phil jones,ashley young,conor wickham and make sure we pick up charlie adam for 500k less mid august!??!

In bad form and not impressed with our transfer dealings one month into the window.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #39: Jun 30, 2011 12:55:12 am

Yeh lets avoid sanchez,phil jones,ashley young,conor wickham and make sure we pick up charlie adam for 500k less mid august!??!

In bad form and not impressed with our transfer dealings one month into the window.

Is that the Sanchez who has said Barca or nothing?

Phil Jones is a player, who if we can keep Agger fit for 20+ games next season, we're not crying out for.

Ashley Young, for many Villa fans the weakest of their 3 main wide men last season & £16m considering he only had a year left on his contract - puh-lease. 

Connor Wickham, paper speculation only, but maybe could have come good for us or maybe we have eyes elsewhere. 

The only player we've officially missed out on his Marveaux and I wasn't that fussed either way.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #40: Jun 30, 2011 12:57:08 am
      I'm not impressed with our dealings and we seem to be getting mugged with Henderson for 16 Million & Carroll for 35 Million i just hope they turn out great aswell as who else we sign but IKKWT.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #41: Jun 30, 2011 12:57:31 am
      This July business is a new smokescreen for us. All the details of the deal including medicals and contracts can be agreed now just not registered until July 1st. What are we waiting for??

Utd have all but sealed 50m of great business and we have bloody jordan henderson who I dont rate anyways. Not impressed preseason first game in 2 weeks. Even if we get Henderson,Adam and Downing sad to say dont rate them as the same category as utds trio.

Who has Chelski signed...who have Citeh signed...Barca, or for that matter Bayren...get a grip this thing is just starting save the complaints for after it's closed...For the record Henderson is no slouch...so it's not like we have done nothing. As for our "deadwood"..would you want them if you were an owner? I sure as sh*te would not at the wages they are on...blame that issue on the last set of cowboys in town not this set.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #42: Jun 30, 2011 12:59:13 am
      I'm not impressed with our dealings and we seem to be getting mugged with Henderson for 16 Million

Is this the same Henderson our very own Director of Football has said we paid a price the club felt comfortable paying. I'm not sure how this translates into us getting mugged.
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #43: Jun 30, 2011 12:59:35 am
      I still havent completely lost faith but we need to start signing decent players soon.

Reading John Henrys twitter is like reading a horoscope written by mystic Meg very vague at times but could be a peek into the future :laugh:
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #44: Jun 30, 2011 12:59:52 am
      Even though Hicks, Gillett and Purslow are gladly gone, sadly, remnants of the regime still remain, overpaid and underskilled players. It's all well and good signing free agents and paying silly wages, but when they don't work out?. Many posters have stated their concerns with regards to flushing the sh*te out over the last couple of months, it's the wages they earn that are going to be the problem, as the NGog saga has already proven. That's without Cole, Jovanovic, Konchesky and Poulsen etc.

The biggest problem we face this window is f**king players off, not getting them in.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #45: Jun 30, 2011 01:00:30 am
      Is this the same Henderson our very own Director of Football has said we paid a price the club felt comfortable paying. I'm not sure how this translates into us getting mugged.

That is because many of the recent posters have a better knowledge and understanding of football then the average Director of Football out there.

Quick Reply