Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Defenders - we're stuffed

Read 5419 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Defenders - we're stuffed
      Aug 25, 2007 08:14:33 pm
      Somebody give me a bit of re-assurance here.  Hyypia suspected broken nose.  Carragher suspected broken ribs.

We've got Agger - but who is going to go alongside him.  How United must be pissing themselves laughing now with Heinze gone to Madrid.  Not good.   Are we going to buy buy in the next couple of days, or am I completely forgetting somebody who can do a job there.

Sissoko?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Defenders - we're stuffed
      Reply #1: Aug 25, 2007 08:27:31 pm

Don't be silly, Sissoko is a combative midfielder, good at tackling and winning the ball back but a defender needs a lot more than this. Our closest midfielder to being a defender is Mascherano. Infact he pretty much is a defender who just plays higher up the pitch, he's got the awareness, but he's too small.

If we don't buy a defender then our defense will look like this until Hyypia and Carra are fit again to play...

Riise---Agger---Arbeloa---Finnan
      ------------Reina
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #2: Aug 25, 2007 09:12:04 pm
      Maybe now is the time pull in some of our ever expanding reserve team.  Aurellio could play a few more games I guess and Paletta.  If needed we could even call upon some of the younger lads Hobbs, Spearing etc.  Apart from that we need cover and quickly!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #3: Aug 25, 2007 09:53:42 pm
      Maybe now is the time pull in some of our ever expanding reserve team.  Aurellio could play a few more games I guess and Paletta.  If needed we could even call upon some of the younger lads Hobbs, Spearing etc.  Apart from that we need cover and quickly!

Paletta has just gone on loan to Boca hasn't he, if I'm not mistaken?

I do think we have to buy in the next few days! We are a little bit fu**ed as we don't have sufficient cover! Exactly the reason why Rafa was adamant about Gabi Heinze! :-\ Good job the next few games aren't exactly the most demanding of fixtures.... no disrespect to our opponents like! ;)
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2007 09:54:55 pm
      If Carra has got a broken rib does anyone have any idea how long he might be out for?
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #5: Aug 26, 2007 09:32:37 am
      Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.  Hopefully with 5 days left in the transfer market Rafa may get cover.

I like Arbeloa.  But I am concerned with high balls if Agger and Arbeloa are in the middle.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #6: Aug 26, 2007 09:58:38 am
      We need to get a cheap defensive CB.....Any ideas?
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #7: Aug 26, 2007 11:40:48 am
      weve just sold paletta to boca juniors
      Cy
      Reply #8: Aug 26, 2007 11:46:55 am
      The next 4 fixtures (except Porstmouth) shouldn't be a real problem even with Carra and Hyypia out. Their injuries are not as bad and they should be back quickly. The team spirit seems strong so I'm sure Finnan, Agger, Arbeloa and Riise would do the job if required.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,818 posts | 471 
      Reply #9: Aug 26, 2007 02:41:42 pm
      I've been checking all the websites that I know, just trying to get a up date on Carra. Anybody have any updates ? With broken ribs, there is no cure but time away from any physical contact. I got bruised ribs before, and god did they hurt. But with all the latest medical technology out there, I'm sure they will do the best for Carra. Then again he is a animal and would play with two broken legs. Please post any updates on his status. Thanks
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2007 05:17:28 pm
      I've been checking all the websites that I know, just trying to get a up date on Carra. Anybody have any updates ? With broken ribs, there is no cure but time away from any physical contact. I got bruised ribs before, and god did they hurt. But with all the latest medical technology out there, I'm sure they will do the best for Carra. Then again he is a animal and would play with two broken legs. Please post any updates on his status. Thanks

Unfortunately he has broken the rib and  a pneumothorax ...whatever that is.

Off cial site just released the news http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156807070826-1643.htm

Oh and what a pneumothorax is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumothorax
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 26, 2007 06:18:25 pm
      Paletta is only a loan.Hyppia injury is a only minor,Carra on the other hand is a blow,but weve got relatively easy fixture list for the next month.So fingers crossed it shouldnt be that bigger blow.especially with an international break in the middle of the month.
      Correction-i am wrong-Palettas been sold.I am sure Rafas must have something up his sleeve-as we are looking a little thin at the back.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6951 
      Reply #12: Aug 26, 2007 06:24:41 pm
      Unfortunately he has broken the rib and  a pneumothorax ...whatever that is.

Off cial site just released the news http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156807070826-1643.htm

Oh and what a pneumothorax is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumothorax

Not good news at all - especially when it says things like 'The patient cannot be left alone at any time'

He's going to be out for a while longer than 2 weeks.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #13: Aug 26, 2007 06:38:21 pm
      http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=457078&cc=4716

Paletta was sold, man, in a time like this!

But seem like Sami Hyypia can still play, he will play in the match with Toulouse at Anfield Tuesday (August, 29), LiverpoolFC's spokeman said so. But Carrager, he seem to have to seat out in a while!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=457155&cc=4716
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Aug 26, 2007 07:04:01 pm
      Not good news at all - especially when it says things like 'The patient cannot be left alone at any time'

He's going to be out for a while longer than 2 weeks.

Absolutely gutted to hear Carra's bad condition. Doesn't a pneumothorax mean you have to have a tube inserted to release the air building up outside the lung?
      Reckon we could be missing him for a good while now. Gutted.

I think if any situation calls for some strong defensive cover, this is it! Wonder if a surprise move for someone is in the process right now?...
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #15: Aug 26, 2007 07:13:48 pm
      I'm guessing pneumothorax is probably a punctured lung or something similar.
      Euro5
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      • Come On You RED MEN
      Reply #16: Aug 26, 2007 07:18:37 pm
      i reckon a month to six weeks. it takes roughly a few weeks for bones to fuse but he also has a punctured lung "pneumothorax" so he obviously needs allot of cardio work to get his breathing right. hypia is a legend and a broken nose is not going to stop him so the back line could look......

Finnan              Hypia               Agger              Riise

subs.... arbeloa, aurello, insua
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2842 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Aug 26, 2007 07:38:40 pm
      I think Sami is ok for Tuesday if the nose was reset yesterday. weve got about 5 days to bring someone if need be as well so dont panic

Actually with the fixtures we have coming up could we throw one of our young lads in? Id love to see some of our youths progressing thru and better again if there local lads
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #18: Aug 26, 2007 07:42:48 pm
      Aurelio isn't due back until mid September so he may not be ready to play against Pompey.

Carra's rib will rule him out for at least 6 weeks. If torn cartilage is involved he may be out for up to 12 weeks. As for his collapsed lung, That depends on what type and how serious it is.

Heinze never looked comfortable at centre back when he played there for Utd but he would probably have been enough cover for the moment.

Arbeloa is used to playing full-back so himself, Agger and Hyypia can cover those positions for the next few games. If Rafa is worried about the defence being weak, he always has Mascherano to play in the Hamann role breaking things up in front of the back line.

And we all know that Stevie can do the job at centre back if we're really stuck.  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6951 
      Reply #19: Aug 26, 2007 07:43:35 pm
      http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=457078&cc=4716

Paletta was sold, man, in a time like this!

But seem like Sami Hyypia can still play, he will play in the match with Toulouse at Anfield Tuesday (August, 29), LiverpoolFC's spokeman said so. But Carrager, he seem to have to seat out in a while!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=457155&cc=4716

Are you capable of posting a message without linking to Soccernet?  You work for them or something?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6951 
      Reply #20: Aug 26, 2007 07:44:58 pm
      I'm guessing pneumothorax is probably a punctured lung or something similar.

Collapse of thoracic cavity - surrounding lung.  Common in tall athletic men in their 20s to 40s so er... most of us are probably fine.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #21: Aug 26, 2007 07:58:58 pm
      Are you capable of posting a message without linking to Soccernet?  You work for them or something?
      Well, Seem like You don't like that kind of post. 
      I think It's just an adjust of information, and then It's not like I can't write post without linking, You can see It, It's not like every one of my 30 posts is linked there.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #22: Aug 26, 2007 08:11:08 pm
      Think it's a little alarming that Paletta was the only real reserve contender to fill in...he didn't look up to the job.

We've got so many Central Midfielders, surely a bit more back-up for CB should have been done.

All those youngsters we signed...aint no good to us now are they!
      ONTHEWING
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #23: Aug 26, 2007 08:28:39 pm
      Broken rib & pneumothorax - now you can understand why Carra was so anxious to get subbed; I hate to think what would have happened if they'd made him play on!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. No Carra and no Gerrard; does that mean Sami will get the Captains armband back?  ;)
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #24: Aug 26, 2007 09:04:33 pm
      Broken rib & pneumothorax - now you can understand why Carra was so anxious to get subbed; I hate to think what would have happened if they'd made him play on!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. No Carra and no Gerrard; does that mean Sami will get the Captains armband back?  ;)

Hope Carra get's better soon. But at least Sami will be fit for the Toulouse game. I would imagine that Sami would get the captain's armband...I think that's normally the running order (Gerrard, Carra, Hyppia...)

Get well soon Carra
      Vatnhamar
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts | -10 
      Reply #25: Aug 27, 2007 10:59:56 am
      Micah Richards is the answear to our problems....plash the cash Rafa!
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Carra's Injury
      Reply #26: Aug 27, 2007 12:35:46 pm
      Its been confirmed Carra's broken a rib, any news how long this could keep him out for?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #27: Aug 27, 2007 03:22:21 pm
      Its been confirmed Carra's broken a rib, any news how long this could keep him out for?

Hopefully a fortnight. Seems it might not be as bad as first thought:

Link

Rib injury to keep Jamie Carragher out for fortnight

Aug 27 2007 by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL will be without Jamie Carragher for at least their next two games as the defender recovers from a broken rib and breathing difficulties.

But the centre-half is determined to recover in time to face Portsmouth on September 15, despite spending last night recovering in Fazakerley Hospital.

Scans revealed Carragher did crack a rib during an accidental collision with Pepe Reina at the Stadium of Light, and the 29-year-old was checked in for treatment on Merseyside yesterday after suffering breathing problems.

Further tests revealed a partial pneumothorax. Although that’s often referred to as a collapsed lung, Carragher’s condition isn’t as bad as that sounds.

He’s hoping to be released today after undergoing further tests, but was in positive mood as he spoke about his ordeal.

“Because of the international break, I’m hoping to only miss the next two matches,” said the vice-captain.

However, manager Rafa Benitez will face an anxious wait to discover if this optimism is justified.

Benitez is already without Steven Gerrard with a broken toe, and the last thing he needs is injuries to his star players undermining an impressive start to the season.

The Liverpool boss was already planning another move into the transfer market for a defender following the collapse of the Gabriel Heinze deal, but the sense of urgency has intensified now.

Benitez only has a week left to find an alternative target.

The Reds have also offloaded Gabriel Paletta to Boca Junior in a deal which sees youngster Emiliano Insua join Liverpool on a permanent deal.

Insua was originally signed on an initial 18 month loan.

On the plus side, Sami Hyypia’s broken nose won’t keep him out of action.

The Finn will be available to partner Daniel Agger in the absence of Carragher against Toulouse tomorrow and against Derby County this weekend.

bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #28: Aug 27, 2007 06:24:56 pm
      It was always gonna happen wasn't it, not getting Heinze and then ending up with a defensive crisis, should be able to beat the next 2 teams with Arebeloa and Agger in central defense but sounds like Hyypia could be fit after all, would be surprised if another defender isn't purchased though
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #29: Aug 27, 2007 07:00:40 pm
      Just seen this on the official website. Looks like although Jamie and Stevie and out for Tuesday they are both improving well. Hyppia is fit also, and along with Agger centre back should be fine untl Carra is fit enough to return...

Rafael Benitez has today confirmed the Reds will be without both Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard for the second leg of their Champions League qualifier with Toulouse on Tuesday night. 
      Carragher is still recovering from the rib injury sustained against Sunderland at the weekend while Gerrard is nursing a broken toe.

"Both players will not be available for this game," said Benitez, whose side lead 1-0 from the first leg in France. "It's a shame because they are both important players for us, but we have enough players and enough competition within the squad to cope.

"Carra is improving which is good news. I need to talk to the doctor to find out more and to see how long he will be out for.

"It's clear that with Steven we need to take care of him. He could be available for the game at the weekend but we'll have to see. Again I will need to talk to the doctor first because I don't want to run the risk of losing him for a long time.

"This week we will keep him training and keep him fit and then see about the Derby game on Saturday."

Sami Hyypia is fit to play, however, after breaking his nose at the Stadium of Light.

"I think he will be okay," added Benitez. "The break was in the right place and so I don't think it will be a problem for him.

"We have Sami and Daniel Agger available and we can also use Arbeloa as a centre back so we have enough players in that position."

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,127 posts | 453 
      Reply #30: Aug 27, 2007 09:31:15 pm
      This is a good time to bring some of our young defenders (Hobbs/Roque/spearing) into the squad and use them off the bench.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #31: Aug 28, 2007 02:35:58 pm
      Hobbs will be in the squad for tonights clash I think.

Perfect opportunity to splash the cash on Micah Richards....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6951 
      Reply #32: Aug 28, 2007 11:10:48 pm
      Hyypia was outstanding tonight.  Really pleased for the guy.  Can't be easy for him to go from being Captain to eventually being ditched in favour of the new boy Agger. 

He has acted like the perfect professional and is a real credit to the club.

To play so well, and score (a header), when he broke his nose only days ago proves what a fine player we have. 

I still think he has a big part to play in this season, especially the next few weeks, and he looks in much better physical shape than he did even last season.

Bigg up the Finn!
      FermanaghRed
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #33: Aug 28, 2007 11:18:07 pm
      Agreed - I was delighted with Hyypia tonight

Perhaps its the beer talking but I was pleaed with most of the team this evening

Loved the all round effort from Kuyt, regardless of his actual goals

fergus kelly
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #34: Aug 31, 2007 06:10:23 pm
      It's the only area we don't have real quality on the bench for and an injury or two could realy screw up what is a real title challenge this season. 
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #35: Aug 31, 2007 06:48:45 pm
      If Rafa's sold Paletta & he's telling the truth about not signing anyone else, does this mean with Roque & Antwi out on loan he's paving the way for Hobbs to make the step up?
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #36: Aug 31, 2007 06:53:02 pm
      aloadofw**k seem to think that Riise will be playing at centre back. But that's Tribal. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #37: Aug 31, 2007 07:00:33 pm
      id say hobbs will get his chance. rafa's played in pre season and not getting heinse( who rafa had his heart set on without backup i feel) willl be forced to play him earlier than expected and now with carra's injury has made it worse . carra is back for the porto game at the latest if we survive till january w/out major injuries and buy rafa marqeus or micah richards we'll be fine
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #38: Aug 31, 2007 07:00:41 pm
      If Rafa's sold Paletta & he's telling the truth about not signing anyone else, does this mean with Roque & Antwi out on loan he's paving the way for Hobbs to make the step up?

That would be good to see our youth setup as they are doing excellent at the moment and if just 1 or 2 players get  a game this season that would be a great testament to there achievements last season.

Quick Reply