Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The Biggest Mistake we ever made....

Read 8255 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      The Biggest Mistake we ever made....
      Jul 06, 2011 01:20:12 am
      So, if you were to trawl back through your personal Liverpool history, what would in your opinion be the biggest mistake the club has ever made?
      I for one hate the fact that we sold Ian Rush to Juventus back in the day.
      He came back as equally a great player as he always was but if Heysel had been dealt with differently then we would have gone on to win a lot more trophies.
      The tragedy of heysel is a a terrible thing but i believe that we would have (like Everton lets not forget who were a great team at the time) gone onto to dominate Europe for a lot longer and possibly still to this day.
      But selling Rush at his peak was a huge statement of our financial and footballing situation.

What would you say was our biggest mistake?

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: The Biggest Mistake we ever made....
      Reply #1: Jul 06, 2011 01:22:15 am
      Selling to H&G.

That far outweighs any managerial decision, even Gerard's decision not to sign Anelka and bring in Diao and Spit.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #2: Jul 06, 2011 01:23:00 am
      Allowing two cowboys almost ruin our wonderful club!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Jul 06, 2011 01:33:31 am
      Definitely selling to those pair of cocks. The lack of care and knowledge when selling to those idiots really angers me as much as anything the two morons did. It could have so easily been avoided. But hey let's not dwell on it. Like all of us I look forward to the future once more with this club.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4: Jul 06, 2011 01:35:19 am
      Selling to Tom and Dick ultimately resulting in Rafa's departure.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #5: Jul 06, 2011 02:00:23 am
      agree about h&g but was trying to finally steer issues away from the last idiot owners and on to footy issues
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #6: Jul 06, 2011 02:00:23 am
      Appointing Greame Souness as a Manager would something that I  would like to erase from LFC history.  Great player but as a manager not nearly good enough especially for the then best team in the world.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2011 02:20:56 am
      What about David Moores becoming chairman? That wasn't great for the club.
      Jesus Hearts LFC
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 06, 2011 03:07:54 am
      Recent history = the Gareth Barry saga that led to us losing Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid.

Earlier history = El Hadji Diouf breaking up the chemistry in the side.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Jul 06, 2011 03:16:10 am

.We have made a few mistakes over the years starting from the early 1950s.
        1/ At that time we never replaced players who were good but got too old,too many at once probably due to the 2nd world war.
        2/ We appointed Don Welsh as manager and we finished up in the old second division,
        3/After Kenny Dalglish resigned we should of promoted from within-ie- Ronnie Moran or Roy Evans thus ensuring continuity.
        4/By far the biggest mistake had to be Moores selling the club to H+G without doing due dilligence on the thieving basta*ds.
        5/Appointing Hodgson,he nearly put the last nail in the coffin and finished us off.
        6/ Not building the new ground 3 or 4 years ago,it would of saved millions compared to what it will cost today
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #10: Jul 06, 2011 03:55:28 am
      Appointing Greame Souness as a Manager would something that I  would like to erase from LFC history.  Great player but as a manager not nearly good enough especially for the then best team in the world.
      What about David Moores becoming chairman? That wasn't great for the club.
      ^^^^^all of the above.Utter disaster's. What was Peter Robinson thinking about?
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #11: Jul 06, 2011 06:08:29 am
      Appointing Woy Hodgson, Rafa leaving, losing Xabi, no new stadium. All point in one direction "H&G".
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #12: Jul 06, 2011 08:03:35 am
      What about not bringing Kenny back in the early 90's ?  Fergie wouldnt be close to no.18 even by now....
      IBleedLFCRed
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #13: Jul 06, 2011 08:04:12 am
      If the then board had allowed KK (or indeed encouraged him to take) a few weeks' leave in 1990, he would have come back as LFC manager, rather than go to Blackburn, where he achieved great success. Then the story of the last 20 years would have been completely different. For me, there's no worse football decision than the way that situation was handled, in the history of the club.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Jul 06, 2011 08:06:04 am
      H & G simples.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #15: Jul 06, 2011 08:30:58 am
      by far H&G!
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #16: Jul 06, 2011 08:33:36 am
      there have been plenty of "small" issues, ie selling or buying the wrong players that we all know but the biggest mistake was letting Tom Hicks near this football club, he nearly ran us into the ground the pr**k (GG too but he was nothing compared to Hicks for me.. he was just a weird clown who wanted to be adored.. Hicks is the devil)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Jul 06, 2011 08:41:08 am
      I always thought Moores was our biggest mistak until h and g arrived and put us back years while heavy investers at City have made the job of recovery harder. I do think we now have the right staff to rectify that. Football wise - Anelka and Alonso our biggest mistakes. I would have added letting Rafa go but it's brought us down the road to Kenny
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #18: Jul 06, 2011 09:07:42 am
      Selling to Dumb and Dumber, probably.

And as stated, letting Alonso and Anelka go.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #19: Jul 06, 2011 09:36:20 am
      Appointing Woy Hodgson, Rafa leaving, losing Xabi, no new stadium. All point in one direction "H&G".

Very true mate.

Heysel - LFC cant be held to account for the actions of some clowns in the crowd and a poorly selected venue.  Just like England cant be held responsible for the muppets who start fights.  So I cant agree with that one

I just cant see big players leaving the club as big mistakes, misjudged errors yes.  Anelka at that time was a bit of a wonderer and Alonso got his dream move.

Mistakes that genuinely effect the clubs ethos, what it stands for, the football its famous for - everything points to H&G.  Those two clowns almost destroyed the club...
      « Last Edit: Jul 06, 2011 10:34:55 am by nnilswerdna »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20: Jul 06, 2011 10:09:57 am
      Obviously H&G were the biggest mistake of all time, but Souness set us back years.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Jul 06, 2011 10:55:58 am
      Parry & Moores.

Everything with H&G leads back to their incompetence.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #22: Jul 06, 2011 11:00:11 am
      Only saw this bit mate and was about to post "and the other half of the wrecking crew H&G" then I saw the remainder.

Quick Reply