Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

So Far So Good (At least that what us Yanks feel) - Article

Read 939 times
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,836 posts | 477 
      So Far So Good (At least that what us Yanks feel) - Article
      Aug 27, 2007 01:58:40 pm
      Hope this post works. Sorry JD but I am the worst with computers !!

Liverpool eyeing the Holy Grail

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7159778

December 16, 2006 doesn't seem like an important date or milestone — and in football reality it isn't when you consider that the season begins in August and ends in May.

However, this date does have significance to one of the 'Big Four' as it was at this point that they managed just their second away win of the Premier League campaign. The team I'm talking about is Liverpool Football Club.
      Looking back, it's very difficult to fathom just why and how it took over five months for the squad of Rafa Benitez to register two maximums away from Anfield. In fact, it doesn't seem possible but the history books don't lie.

The up-to-date record book doesn't lie either — two away games played, two away games won, 100 percent perfect on the road and the demons of last season's domestic travels seemingly banished. When you consider that the Reds took a paltry two points out of the 21 on offer last year while finishing 21 points off the pace to Manchester United, this start is explosive.

For sure, the title isn't won in August or September but the foundation for a challenge in late April and early May is certainly built in these two months. As we've seen from the last few seasons, getting off to a flyer is a 'must' as it allows you the breathing space to drop a point or two when the fixtures start piling up. Looking ahead at Liverpool's next four opponents, Derby (h), Portsmouth (a), Birmingham (h) and Wigan (a), you can't help but see a fat and tasty 12-point feast.

So just what is the difference between Liverpool 06/07 and Liverpool 07/08? Benitez summed it up with his post-match comments after their latest victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light: "We have a stronger squad now and we know we have the confidence in the players."

What Benitez also has, I believe, is more confidence in himself.

Despite winning the Champions League and FA Cup, I'm not sure that Benitez believed himself to be a top Premier League manager — this season I have no doubt that he thinks and knows that he is the best. Even in this embryonic stage of the campaign he appears to have developed a cutthroat instinct, not only towards his team, but also towards his managerial adversaries.

The cuddly Rafa who would sit down and have a beer with you no longer exists. He has been replaced with a Rafa who will call you out in the press; a Rafa who will dive straight into the deep end. A Rafa who is prepared to go to war and play mind games with the best in the business.

That doesn't mean he won't still fiddle about though ... just maybe not quite as much as before!

This is good news for Reds supporters who have in the past been concerned about his tweaking. Seven members of his starting eleven have appeared in all three league matches — a minor miracle when you consider the tinkering that 'Rafa the Rotator' likes to perform. The Spaniard even had the luxury of giving his skipper, Steven Gerrard, the afternoon off against the Black Cats. Would Jose Mourinho dare take that luxury with Frank Lampard or Sir Alex with Cristiano Ronaldo? I think we know the answer to that question.

Yes, we're only three games in and yes, it's too early to tell the whole story but the signs scream that Liverpool is not content with being a 'Cup team'.

Goalkeeper Pepe Reina has yet to make a telling save in 270 minutes. The two goals he has conceded were a non-existent penalty (against Chelsea) and an unlucky penalty (against Aston Villa).

The back four of Steve Finnan, Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Alvaro Arbeloa reminds me of Phil Neal, Alan Hansen, Phil Thompson and Joey Jones — seriously good company.

In midfield, there is an embarrassment of riches with competition for playing time as fierce as is ever been — just ask Youssi Benayoun, Harry Kewell, Momo Sissoko and last season's darling Javier Mascherano.

Up front, Peter Crouch can't get a game as he watches Dirk Kuyt, new Anfield hero Fernando Torres and Andriy Voronin take all of the glory.

Benitez has at last built a team that can challenge for Premier League glory. It's spectacular, it's deep and it's hungry to end almost two decades of heartache.

Let's quickly go back to dates. December 16, 2006 is not one the Kop will remember fondly despite that second away win because they knew that once again the Holy Grail had slipped away. Football is a sport rich in dates though. On December 15, 2007, just about a full year later, that Holy Grail the Kop so deeply craves may just be passed to them — Manchester United visits Anfield. Tell me your hair isn't standing up on your necks!

One final thought — last year I had Liverpool winning the Premiership title and I was horribly wrong. This season, I jumped off the wagon and I believe I've made another big mistake.

Until then, get the beers in ...

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007 03:38:12 pm by redkenny »

Quick Reply