Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

What is our strongest team???

Read 2525 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      What is our strongest team???
      Aug 24, 2007 08:19:56 pm
      Do you know what Liverpool's strongest team is?
      Does Rafa know what Liverpool's strongest team is?

Ok we had the discussion about the 'spine' of the Liverpool team, only Richobaz disagreed with us but I think its true to say that the spine of the Liverpool team is Reina, Carragher, Gerrard and Torres. But what is the strongest XI of Liverpool?

Finnan makes the right back position his, no way is Arbeloa better than him in that position.
      For left back who plays best there? Now Arbeloa is a contender but I've noticed that his reactions are rather slow, Riise's defensive awareness is rather poor so I'd like to go with Aurelio who I think has done brilliant for us when fully fit.
      Without a doubt Agger is now the man to partner Carragher in defense. Fair to say Hyypia is on his last legs.
      Now for RM you could play Benayoun, Babel or Pennant. But who would play best in that position? On recent performances I'm going for Pennant but only time will tell.
      At LM you have Leto but he's unproven so obviously he's not a contender, Kewell, Babel and Riise can all play at LM. Riise can play well there at times but his crossing is poor, Kewell would be our best bet but he's not very well so I'm going for Ryan Babel.
      At DM its between Sissoko, Alonso and Mascherano. Now Sissoko has trouble at keeping possesion but great at breaking up play.. however Mascherano can do this but in style, Alonso has been poor for over a season so my vote goes to Mascherano.
      Now what striker deserves to partner Torres? Crouch has done very well at times but even then he's not been used as much, he's rather slow and can affect the tempo of the game, Voronin looks to have a great technique but he's not been played as much as Kuyt who's hard working and has high energy levels. This is a tough one but for now it's Dirk Kuyt.

So this is how my Liverpool team would look..

........................ ........Reina
      ..Finnan.......Carragher .........Agger.......Aur elio
      ..Pennant.......Gerrard. .....Mascherano.....Babe l
      ........................ ..Kuyt...Torres
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Re: What is our strongest team???
      Reply #1: Aug 24, 2007 09:48:46 pm
                                         Reina

Finnan          Carragher        Agger        Arbeloa

Pennant       Gerrard           Alonso        Riise

Torres            Kuyt

Aurelio
      Mascherano
      Babel
      Kewell
      Crouch

Thats my favourite line up at the moment, would like to see Sissoko, Hyypia and Voronin involved aswell

multilockscan
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #2: Aug 24, 2007 09:57:28 pm
      is there any way you  could stick alonso in between stevie.g and masch and say nothing  ;)
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Aug 24, 2007 10:00:52 pm
      I don't think team selection can be simplified to that point. The formation you choose & the players you pick varies depending on the opposition. I agreed with you about the spine of the team in the other thread, mine being Reina, Carragher & Gerrard, with Torres added to that list if he continues proving himself, but beyond that I think the rest of the team is subject to rotation, no-one else will or should be guaranteed their place. Finnan & Agger are the next closest to having their places nailed on, but not quite. Hyypia is still the best man we have to deal with an aerial threat up front, and Arbeloa would get the nod over Finnan occasionally for me, there are times his higher energy levels will be better suited to the game. The left back position is still well & truly up for grabs with no-one having made the position their own. The fact Rafa was going for Heinze suggests that we may still see another LB and the position will be subject to further rotation.

In midfield, apart from Gerrard no-one is guaranteed a start, and even then he'll miss the odd game. We have three excellent central midfielders battling it out to partner him, each with different qualities to their game. Sissoko is brilliant at winning the ball in dangerous positions and giving good passing opposition no time to play their game. He's ideal playing against teams like Arsenal or Barcelona, but is ineffective when playing aginst teams that put 10 men behind the ball as passing & creativity aren't his strong points. Alonso is more suited against this sort of opposition, I know he's suffered a dip in form lately but when he regains it his passing & vision can create openings. He also offers more protection for the defence playing in a deeper role than Sissoko or Gerrard. The only weakness Alonso has when he's on form is that he needs a little bit of time & space to pull off his range of passing, with a Sissoko style player on the other team he can be rendered pretty redundant. Mascherano is more of a pure holding midfielder, in the mould of Makalele or Hamman. he sits in front of the defence cleaning things up & playing the simple ball. He's most effective when the opposition have a player who plays behind a front two or lone striker, prime example being the way he dealt with Kaka in the Champions League final. Against weaker opposition a holding midfielder of his nature isn't really a neccessity though, and one of the other two could be the better option. On the wings, who plays there will again depend on the opposition. We have a good range of options on both flanks, all offering different things. Kewell, if he ever stays fit, and Pennant are both players who will get a lot of crosses in, whereas Babel or Benayoun are more likely to cut inside. Riise or Gerrard, who I still believe will get the occasional game on the right, offer much more defensive protection and both are capable of chipping in with a few goals. Depending on the weaknesses of the opposing fullback, and also the strength of their wingers, different options would be better suited.

Up front as I said before Torres can nail down one of the places if he continues playing the way he has, but the other spot is definitely open to rotation. The other three strikers are very different, most notably Crouch. Kuyt in a way can do a job similar to Sissoko's in midfield, harrying the defence and upsetting teams that like to have a patient build up. I'd say he's the best option against lesser teams playing for a draw, as he won't let them take the pace out of the game as they'd like to. Voronin seems so far to have very good movement and will create himself a bit of space to recieve the ball, he will be good playing against defenders with poor positional sense and should score quite a few. Crouch for obvious reasons is a good option against defences with a lack of aerial ability and is also brilliant at holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

The formation of the team is subject to change too, against weaker teams I'm a big fan of the 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 that served us well against lesser opposition last season, and much as we all like to see positive tactics we have to admit that sometimes the opposition is that much of a threat that we need to play 4-5-1. Because the opposition will always play differently I don't think you can name a set strongest team for every game. Rafa's policy is to pick the strongest team for each opponent and it's a policy I believe in, so I can't pick a strongest team unless I know who it's against.
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2007 12:27:59 am
                                       Reina

Finnan          Carragher        Agger        Riise

Pennant       Gerrard           Masch       Babel

Torres            Kuyt
      Itandje
      Hyypia
      Alonso
      Kewell
      Crouch

I think this is our strongest team at the moment taking in form and injuries to this.

Keeper: Pepe is No.1 and that will not change.

Right Back: Finnan has his spot with his consistency but Arabeloa is good back up

Centre Back:Carra and Agger defiantly  i don't care what anyone says Hyypia is a liability with his lack of pace and even of the bench i worry but we have no one else good enough for the bench.

Left Back: Riise for me because all round he is better then Arbeloa to me,Arbeloa is a good defender but lacks speed on the turn sometimes,Riise may not be the best defender but can do the job and we need his attacking ability in the team but i don't know if Rafa really like him playing there.

Right Mid: Pennant on his current form and his quality of crosses into the box,and at the moment his form keeps his place from Benayoun its a simple as that.

Centre Mid: Stevie G.I don't need to say any more.

Centre Mid: Masch for me over Alonso and Sissoko.For me this can give Stevie his freedom on the pitch. Masch will break opposition play up a distribute the ball with his simple passing game.Also at the moment Alonso is not on his top form and needs to be shown that his place is under threat.Sissoko doesn't seem to be at his best either need to work on his passing to put any pressure on the starters but he defiantly has the potential he just needs to show some of it.

Left Mid: Babel for me with his speed and his over all attacking play could form a great partership with Riise,Kewell has the ability also but need to stay injury free as he cannot expect to walk into the team with the quality we have got.

Forwardrs:Torres and Kuyt for me at the moment as they seem to work well together,but i don't like to waste crouch on the bench i don't know if him and Torres can work together in the same team but only time will tell,but it seems that Rafa will play either Kuyt and Torres or Crouch and Voronin.

YNWA :aaliverpoolwz0: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Aug 25, 2007 08:42:21 am
      I don't care what anyone says Hyypia is a liability with his lack of pace and even of the bench I worry but we have no one else good enough for the bench.

I'd have to disagree with this point. Ok Hyypia's lost a yard of pace over the years, but pace was never a major part of his game anyway. This lack of pace does count him out of some matches & Rafa doesn't use him in those matches, but when he has been selected when exactly has he been a liability? We don#'t have a CB with better aerial ability in the squad & he is still a very useful member, to say he's a liability is way OTT IMO.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Aug 25, 2007 12:00:39 pm
      easy question

carragher

Carragher                          Carragher             Carragher                    Carragher

Carragher                          Carragher             Carragher                    Carragher

Carragher                        Carragher

Coach: Jamie Carragher

;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2007 11:05:31 pm
      Just seen this now - yer jinx  ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Aug 26, 2007 02:20:48 pm

Any updates over there about him? Last i heard was "suspected" broken rib? 
      achilles
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      • VICTORY
      Reply #9: Aug 27, 2007 09:37:13 am
      keeping united is our strongest team
      AndyTOR
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #10: Aug 27, 2007 11:31:39 am
      I think we have the luxury of being able to play a different formation against many of the sides that come to Anfield and who deploy a lone striker, however, I know its never likely to be tried as Rafa seems to think 4-4-2 is the best way to play. Against any teams that deploys a lone striker either home or away then my first team choice would be

Reina

Finnan                    Carragher                  Agger

Alonso 

Pennant                  Gerrard                              Sissoko                    Riise

Torres                               Kuyt

This, assuming Alonso is on form, would in my eyes be extremely attacking and has a defensive quality that would allow us to revert back to a 4-4-2 quite easily with the replacement of Babel for Sissoko, if all wasnt going well.

Like Martin Luther King I also have a vision and it is going back to the days of playing the football of crisp passing, hence Alonso & Gerrard, wingers who arn't afriad to run at a man and beat them whilst delivering pin point crosses into the box and strikers who can turn on a sixpence and bury the ball in the back of the net.

Simple as it sounds this is how football should be and used to be for us. Defenders who could run out with the ball and push the play on, wingers who could run with the ball and never need look at their feet, strikers who could make a hatrick out of great deliveries or out of half arsed ones too and midfielders who could muscle the middle of the park and shoot accurately.

We have the fortune to have many of these qualities in our team today, especially now Momo has found his shooting feet and I feel that on those occasions that warrant it a 3-5-2 formation is a great way to not only play against teams but also for us to begin humbling teams with much greater scorelines than 1-0.

Thanks for taking the time to read this look forward to the responses.

Andy.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Aug 27, 2007 02:58:23 pm
      -------- Reina -----------
      - Finnan - Agger - Carra - Riise
      -Pennant - Stevei G - Masch - Babel
      ------Torres - Voronin -------------

subs;

Hyypia
      Arbeloa
      Xabi
      Momo
      Kewell
      Crouch
      Kuyt
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #12: Aug 27, 2007 04:12:16 pm
      Like others have already said, we are capable of adapting our team to counter the opposition. However, that does not mean that we don't have a strongest 11. For example, if Rafa had to choose a starting 11 without knowing who the opponents were, he could. That would be our strongest team.  So to rephrase the question, what is our strongest 11 against any team.
      LFC 4 LYF
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts | -1 
      Reply #13: Aug 27, 2007 04:36:49 pm
      Reina
      Finnan Carra Agger Arbeloa
      Pennant Gerrard Masch Babel
      Torres Voronin

Itandje
      Hypia
      Riise