Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Flanno or Kelly?

Read 8761 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Re: Flanno or Kelly?
      Reply #23: Aug 02, 2011 10:28:10 pm
      Probably Kelly for me but Flanaghan would definitely be my number 2 there ahead of Johnson now.

Johnno is just not good enough in the defensive sense there and I can't see that changing.  Yes he is a threat going forward but for me, when playing in a back four, defensive skills are key and anything else comes after that.

You're kidding? Flanno showed his defensive qualities last season when we had our best run of the season. He's strong in the tackle (he will get even stronger I suspect), he's committed, tenacious, has good reactions and from a positional sense I've been quite impressed with the lad.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #24: Aug 02, 2011 10:33:17 pm
      You're kidding? Flanno showed his defensive qualities last season when we had our best run of the season. He's strong in the tackle (he will get even stronger I suspect), he's committed, tenacious, has good reactions and from a positional sense I've been quite impressed with the lad.

What!!??

Re-read my post mate.
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #25: Aug 02, 2011 10:35:22 pm
      Ooooooops! My bad  :o :roll: :f_doh:
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #26: Aug 02, 2011 10:39:33 pm
      Neither.

Given PROPER cover, Johnson is better than both at both defending and attacking.

For now.

But I think Kelly will overtake him in the next year or so, and then move over to CB.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #27: Aug 02, 2011 10:42:20 pm
      Kelly looks like hes beefed up to me over Summer.

Wasn't his finest showing against Galatasary, but hes our future CB in my mind.

Still Johnson as first choice at RB for me for as it stands, despite his horror show on Monday, with Flanno as 2nd choice.

Just hope Kelly gets moulded in to the CB role slowly instead of being thrust in at the deep end, which I have full faith Kenny won't do.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #28: Aug 02, 2011 10:44:04 pm

Just hope Kelly gets moulded in to the CB role slowly instead of being thrust in at the deep end, which I have full faith Kenny won't do.

Same as Carra - although I think Kelly is more of a natural CB than Carra.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #29: Aug 02, 2011 10:54:59 pm
      Neither.

Given PROPER cover, Johnson is better than both at both defending and attacking.

For now.

But I think Kelly will overtake him in the next year or so, and then move over to CB.

You could show scottbot a bit of respect and actually read his post that starts the thread and maybe not just the title.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #30: Aug 02, 2011 11:03:56 pm
      Kelly right back.

Flanagan left back.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31: Aug 02, 2011 11:06:30 pm
      Judging from last years performances I'd of been strongly in favour of Kelly over Flanno, but taking pre-season into account I've swung around and now probably prefer Flanno. Simply because defensively he's extremely solid and is developing going forward quite nicely.

Kelly looked truly outstanding last year but a few errors have crept into his game it seems and his forward play is looking a little one dimensional, I know that may seem harsh and I have no doubt given some time he's gonna be an excellent player but if we develop Flanno he could potentially be better. Without doubt though it's a hard call and they are both excellent and this level of competition will for sure make one of them England's future right back I believe.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #32: Aug 02, 2011 11:23:09 pm
      You could show scottbot a bit of respect and actually read his post that starts the thread and maybe not just the title.

And you could maybe mind your own business - I have read the OP, and a good one it is. He asked the question, I answered it.

I posted an opinion is all, so try getting off you high horse.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #33: Aug 03, 2011 12:29:02 am
      Kelly right back.

Flanagan left back.

What Flanagan lack's in experience he makes up for in tenacity...the kid is full tilt all the time, would probably throw a tackle in on his mam if he thought it would get him an extra biscuit from the tin. I don't see anything phasing him and I am not afraid to let him get burned a few times while learning. IMO he is a natural across the board and needs no coddling or holding back...let him loose.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #34: Aug 03, 2011 12:36:35 am
      What Flanagan lack's in experience he makes up for in tenacity...the kid is full tilt all the time, would probably throw a tackle in on his mam if he thought it would get him an extra biscuit from the tin. I don't see anything phasing him and I am not afraid to let him get burned a few times while learning. IMO he is a natural across the board and needs no coddling or holding back...let him loose.

Have to agree - the lad is proper fiesty, and deserves a run in the side as long as we have a holding midfielder able to cover when he gets forwards.

Oh wait, we do - crack on lad.
      the general
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #35: Aug 03, 2011 02:58:03 am
      I love Flanno, he reminds me a lot of Finnan, strong, efficient and consistent from what I've seen, so he gets the nod for me
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #36: Aug 03, 2011 03:13:09 am
      Have to agree - the lad is proper fiesty, and deserves a run in the side as long as we have a holding midfielder able to cover when he gets forwards.

Oh wait, we do - crack on lad.

They scary thing in my post was using the words Mam, Biscuit & Tin.....yikes this board seems to have changed me in 8 months time.  One thing I have found we yanks have in common with Scousers is how we pronounce Adidas ..when I first heard how the English pronounced it on FSC last year i nearly spat out my coffee as I had never heard it spoken that way....later while watching LFCTV and having Pepe/Dirk do the scouser test I heard Adidas the proper way.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #37: Aug 03, 2011 03:18:45 am
      Kelly CB and Flanno RB? :laugh:
      jackrhodeslfc18
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #38: Aug 09, 2011 01:55:55 pm
      i would say kelly,hes strong when defending...and stong going forward ! :)
      foreverred-1973
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #39: Aug 09, 2011 01:56:58 pm
      Kelly for me!
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #40: Aug 09, 2011 02:14:04 pm
      What says it all for me for both of these youngsters - reading the paper - Glen is out for two weeks, no missed heartbeat, no sickening feeling, no remorse - just oh well - we're more than equipped to take that in our stride.
      Kelly for me all day long, he will be the best full back in the prem by the end of this season.
      redfan
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #41: Aug 09, 2011 09:27:29 pm
      Kelly...Flanagan don't have experience , and he make much mistakes , i'd prefer Kelly
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #42: Aug 10, 2011 08:05:37 am
      No doubt, Martin Kelly has got many experiences (even international at youth level) under his belt and physically and technically is a better option. However Flanno has a very bright future with us if he works hard on his game in training sessions.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #43: Aug 10, 2011 09:28:23 am
      Flanagan may not have much experience yet but for an 18 year old, he's looked really mature and comfortable on the football pitch. Looks really settled there, IMO.

Also like Kelly there. Maybe they both can take turns coming in as we don't want either being overused and then become like Insua.

Still think Kelly should be given some games at CB!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #44: Aug 10, 2011 11:22:19 am
      Love the lad Kelly, his enthusiasm and get up and at 'em' attitude he is undoubtedly a future captain and every bit as forthright as Carra, but i think his best position is as cb and i would be blooding him there alongside Carra or Agger at every opportunity,Flannagan has been immense for me in the few matches where has appeared, he seems to have that swagger of having an old head on young shoulders, i would even put him in front of GJ i am that confident of him, he is fearless and has no inhibitions, ye he may make mistakes (who doesn't) but he will learn very quickly and become a better player for it, with GJ's nose being put out of joint he knows he will have to step up to have a chance of playing, hell, i would even consider pushing GJ forward as a wide man and give back up down the right to Kuyt or Downing whoever holds that berth at the time, the positive thing is tho, we have cover for almost every position now, and quality to, Kelly has done well at RB but to me Flanno is the better option, only my opinion of course, incidently, whats happening with Dani Pacheco, can anyone throw some light on how he is doing ?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #45: Aug 10, 2011 12:38:03 pm
      Kelly right back.

Flanagan left back.

Spot on.

Quick Reply