Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Where are you? Let's be 'avin ya!

Read 5135 times
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 861 posts | 21 
      Where are you? Let's be 'avin ya!
      Jul 14, 2011 11:12:16 am
      I'm starting to know how Delia felt not matter how misguided her outburst was.

Have you forgotten who we are? Have you forgotten where we've been and who the people responsible for taking us there have been? Have you forgotten last year's end to the season already?

If Kenny this, if Comolli that.

Give it a rest eh?

We're Liverpool Football Club, we've been to the very top and one of the men responsible for us getting there both on and off the pitch was Kenny Dalglish. To even mention this legends name and the sack or any variation on that theme is a ******* embarrassment. He saved us last season, he's added the pieces HE wanted this season (thanks to our new fantastic owners) and had he been here at the start of the season we'd probably be playing Champions League football this season.

Let's take stock shall we.

Henderson, Suarez, Adam, Downing and Carroll. "We've overpaid". Well yes we probably have in consideration of normal prices but when every sheikh and his dog are buying up the prem then you're always going to be overpaying in this market to get the players you want.

The question for me is simple, do I think these players added to players like Aquilani coming back and Gerrard and Agger coming back from injury are enough for us to get into the Champions League at least next season? The answer is also simple, an emphatic yes.

Henderson is a player I've admired for a while now, he seems a lot like Gerrard when he was younger to me. He has that ability to play anywhere on the park and do a good job and I'm delighted we got him and think he will be a fantastic player at this club for years to come. His attitude incidentally is top drawer.

Charlie Adam. Was he my first choice? Not by a long stretch but can I see why we bought him? Certainly. He again has the drive and attitude to succeed. Captain of his old club and the driving force behind the slim hope they had of staying up he nearly achieved the impossible. We've been crying out for someone that could take setpieces and now we're not. Good signing, value for money and a lot of potential if he continues to grow as a player and works on his fitness (Which he has been).

Andy Carroll. Very underrated player for my money regardless of his price tag. I was talking to someone the other day about just how few players there are that can do what Carroll does and completely bully any back four. He's not consistent no and due to injury we've not seen anything like the best of him but if you watched him against City then you saw exactly why we paid what we did and why Kenny was so desperate to sign him. He worked his ass off all game spending a lot of time in midfield bullying again and linking the play, he made his own goal with the first with an outrageous drive from distance and then he got across his man to head home for the second. Most impressive though was how such a physically strong back 4 and midfield that City have were almost made to look like boys up against Carroll.

Stewart Downing. I'd have preferred Mata sure but I prefer Downing to N'zgobia or many others you can name. Why? Downing is a captain, a leader and his attitude again like Adam's is top notch. He was Villa's player of the season and deservedly so for his consistency. We've been crying out for someone on the wing who can deliver quality and Downing can do exactly that. Would I have preferred Mata? Sure but there are I believe valid reasons why we haven't gone for him over Downing. Will Mata be the better player in the long run? Absolutely but let's look long term shall we.

The most important goal Liverpool Football Club has next season is to return to the Champions League. Now regardless of the quality coming in from Europe over the years, most of those players have all had one thing in common and that is they have had to be given time to adapt. Time is something we just don't have. Who are more likely to hit the ground running and have a better first season? Henderson, Downing and Adam or Banega, Mata and Javi Martinez. There's no doubt that it would be the previous trio.

We've set a goal to at least get fourth and I believe the players we've bought are more than capable of that. Transfer fees arn't really that important, it's more down to wages and if we can keep them down then they're good deals. Also what's to say we don't get CL football this year and next year we go and get the players that can take us up a level? Nothing.

We've gone from not having a penny, not having a squad really and having a manager who was not good enough to having enough to get the targets we want, having actual squad depth and having one of the best player/managers this club or the world have ever seen.

I guess some people are never happy.

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is any good side built in one transfer window.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Where are you? Let's be 'avin ya!
      Reply #1: Jul 14, 2011 11:21:06 am
      Unfortunate title, but well said.
      The rebuilding is well and truly underway. How good is it to see a manager fully backed in the transfer window.
      It's only now you realise how much the previous owners set us back. A manager going out and competing for his
      top transfers. Pushing through the deals he wants even if it means paying a few million more just to get it done.

The impatient part of me wishes this was 2007 and we didn't have to do this all from a reset position, but when
      I see the players Kenny wants coming in and know that Rodolfo will provide us with the best of youth in the long
      term than we can only be positive about how things are going to unfold on the pitch.

Only thing left now is sorting out Stan(dard Chartered) Park
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #2: Jul 14, 2011 11:29:22 am
      Some people are moaning about who we've bought.

Some people are moaning about the people who are moaning about who we've bought.

Either way - you're all a bunch of moaners.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #3: Jul 14, 2011 11:35:33 am
      A good post is that mate !
      I've never been one for judging a team on one friendly or for that matter half a season, what DOES matter is where we are at the end of the season !

A good half term report does not win any trophy, a full season is what you're judged on and nothing else, any one can have an off game or two what matter most is points in the bag how many did we get yesterday for winning away from home ? F**k all that's how many ! and thats how much the game and performances mattered not one jot !

I'm not going to have a go at a player (unlike some people!) based on 45mins in a red shirt in that kind of heat and humidity, none of our players are going to be in that scenario competitively for 12 months or more we're going to be playing the likes of QPR and Norwich midweek away in a downpour, thsts whe it will matter, NOT NOW !

As long as kenny gets enough points from 38 league games to win the one that matters then I'll be an happy chappy.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: Jul 14, 2011 11:36:23 am
      Don't get the title, but agree with what you are saying. We are looking good. and makes a nice change, thank Fek we got rid of hicks & gillett !
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Jul 14, 2011 11:38:42 am
      What about the people moaning about the people moaning about the people moaning. That's a lot of moaning :)
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #6: Jul 14, 2011 11:39:38 am
      why didn't you just pinch J.D.'s Post Racer !
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Jul 14, 2011 11:43:37 am
      I was replying to JD moaning about people moaning about people moaning :)
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #8: Jul 14, 2011 11:54:51 am
      Can someone explain the title?

It's a good post mate and I agree with it.

There is a surprising amount of moaning going on in these boards.

I'm just glad we have money to spend on the players that the manager wants.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #9: Jul 14, 2011 12:06:24 pm
      I was replying to JD moaning about people moaning about people moaning :)
      Silly me :-[
      LFCexiled
      Reply #10: Jul 14, 2011 12:07:08 pm
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #11: Jul 14, 2011 12:12:29 pm
      For all the people who say we've went over the top when buying players, think of it this way. How much of our own money (not money from sold players) have we spent in the last 3 years to get players here? Virtually none, so do any of us fans care how much we spend right now? Do we f*ck.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12: Jul 14, 2011 12:24:45 pm
      Stop moaning about moaning moaners please or i'll be forced to moan to the moaning mods  :f_whistle:

Good post fella,i agree,this is just the beginning i cant see why we wont be challenging on all fronts this term,we all agree that finishing 6th under Kenny was quite a achievement considering where we were when he took over, now imagine if you will where we would or could have finished had he been in charge from say November,you would have to say a CL spot at least.

Kenny has since then added the players he believes will take us up another notch and i dont think for a minute he has finished just yet, already the squad look stronger and better equipped with Downing being the latest piece to be added,bringing width,balance, the ability to spread play and the ammo for the front men, i've noticed that alot of posters are saying that they would settle for 4th and a CL place, but i believe we will finish higher....once again the Mancs will be up there, probably Citeh too, i dont think Chavs will be as strong as they usually are, they have a new man in charge with probably a new style of play, it will take time to get used to that so therefore i cant see them being a problem to us, as for Spuds and the Arse, usual from them they flatter to decieve, Spuds top 6 maybe, and the Arse will bottle out yet again or worse if Fab goes to Barca, we have nothing to fear ppl, we are more than capable of turning over Citeh and Scum,so for those reasons i can see us challenging not only for a top 4 spot, but for thee top spot, and why the F**k not, we can do it, i know we can, BELIEVE !!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #13: Jul 14, 2011 12:29:13 pm
      The most important goal Liverpool Football Club has next season is to return to the Champions League.

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is any good side built in one transfer window.

Actually wrong on both counts. Most important goal is having a crack at the league, it is possible under the King, and June 87, a fairly good footballing team was put together that summer.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #14: Jul 14, 2011 01:13:45 pm
      Actually wrong on both counts. Most important goal is having a crack at the league, it is possible under the King, and June 87, a fairly good footballing team was put together that summer.

Well said.

The goal is not Champions League.  Champions League is merely a reward for us pushing for the league.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Jul 14, 2011 01:38:02 pm
      What about the people moaning about the people moaning about the people moaning. That's a lot of moaning :)

Great wasn't she.

Pissed out of her face on her own cooking sherry.

C.mon.   Its the close season.  Nuttin happenin.  Its time for some bitchin'.

We havent had a good bi*ch since Hicks and Gillett.

Even Scal Qaeda is stood down.

So cmon. Only a few weeks left to kick off.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2011 08:53:00 am by eurored »
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #16: Jul 14, 2011 05:35:43 pm

You want to compare a team that finished runners up to a team that came 6th? Really? Oh and the most important goal is we finish 4th of course we are going to have a crack at the league but if we don't win it then so be it. If we don't get CL footy we're in much more trouble.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #17: Jul 14, 2011 05:47:28 pm
      I was weary of the new owners and I wanted Kenny back after Rafa. Well I guess behind the scenes people are working flat out to make our club into what it should be. Very please with the signings thus far I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #18: Jul 14, 2011 06:04:40 pm
      I"m here xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #19: Jul 14, 2011 06:15:27 pm
      I'm here and for the record, I haven't moaned. Not about footballing matters anyway!

I remain very optimistic about the coming season and beyond.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #20: Jul 14, 2011 06:19:07 pm
      I agree with the post, you bring up a lot of valid points.

I for one am happy that we are able to be moaned about, that we over paid for him and we have too many players in this position. Its been a long while since we have been able to have a positive moan.

Although some fans may be complaining that we are not singing better players, Mata & Benega etc but like TLKOS said, the manager is signing the players he wants and who will fit our system. Not players to fill the gaps because we have had to sell.

I'm happy to see a few more of the British talent coming our way, this will build a much better report with the club and, on top of the fantastically attituded foreigners, create a Liverpool/Boot room style family again... Isn't this the formula that gave us all the success back in the day?!

If you want to moan, moan all day to me about how much we are spending, I've had my fingers in my ears for the past 4 years and if the first thing I am hearing is we are spending money without selling, its like music to me.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #21: Jul 14, 2011 06:26:34 pm
      You want to compare a team that finished runners up to a team that came 6th? Really?

No I want to compare the manager who put together one of the best Liverpool teams I've ever seen play and went on to win the league with the manager that came sixth.

Oh yeah same bloke!! Kenny wasn't supposed to win the league in 86, Man U had that won on the first day and then we threw it away after getting beat in the derby. 12 game run later?

Kenny's a winner is all I'm saying.
      If we don't get CL footy we're in much more trouble.

You mean in a monetary sense?
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #22: Jul 14, 2011 09:06:55 pm
      Absolute corking post mate, want to win the league like everyone who supports the reds does, but solid PL players in who know what the PL is all about is better than oversea players who will struggle for 12 - 18 mths. stabillity is the way to go onwards and upwards. best post for a while

Quick Reply