Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Local Football rivalry - Does it help teams?

Read 887 times
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 926 posts |
      Local Football rivalry - Does it help teams?
      Jul 18, 2011 12:48:13 am
      Earlier I was having a chat with my dad about Norwich and how it was nice to see them in the Premier League considering how few teams from our area represent and the very top of the game. It got me thinking is the reason that Norwich (and for that matter teams like Ipswich and Peterborough) don't do very well is because there aren't many rivals.

Here me out, if a player has a trial at Norwich and doesn't get into the club, the highest placed team in Norfolk other than Norwich would either be King's Lynn or Dereham, both teams being way below Conference level. That being said, if they don't get into Norwich, they aren't going to have decent development at any other club in Norfolk. So what, they have two choices, move to find more clubs, or give up.

If King's Lynn were a bigger club, a player that didn't make it at Norwich, got into King's Lynn would get a better development, and in the long run the whole area of Norfolk would be coached better, producing better players.

To put this another way, If Everton never existed (I don't need a history lesson about how we wouldn't if they didn't) would we be as successful, if the gap between the two best teams was Liverpool to Tranmere, would there have been as many decent scouse players produced?

If you look at the London area, there are many teams, quite a few in the Premier League, despite being rivals, I think the healthy competition and higher quality coaches help produce the better footballers.

What are people general thoughts on this, or is it similar where you live?
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Local Football rivalry - Does it help teams?
      Reply #1: Jul 18, 2011 01:22:52 am
      Rivalry breeds greatness Junior, it"s a proven fact.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #2: Jul 18, 2011 08:32:01 am
      From a motivational point alone, rivalry is a good thing in sports. It's only when nutters take it too far that it becomes a problem.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Jul 18, 2011 09:30:31 am
       Ipswich were one of the top teams at one time,in fact we bought John Wark from Ipswich and sold him back to them.A certain Bobby Robson was there manager and if my memory is not playing tricks I seem to recall Alf Ramsay being manager there. When Everton were in the old second division and we were in the first both clubs used to attract big support and vice versa when we were in the second division our support for the Reds never wavered and we still got big crowds.

Quick Reply