Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

A-Level Choices

Read 2194 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      A-Level Choices
      Jul 20, 2011 10:53:02 pm
      So recently i was made to choose my 4 a-level choices and did so with difficult, i was wondering if posters would share there choices with other members, so that if certain posters have issue's or seek advice they could talk to one another regarding the specific subject chosen, personally i have chosen, Psychology, Politics, Law & History, if anyone else would like to share their choices please do so, and if you have any personal opinions on the choices i have made, also please share.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,336 posts | 4962 
      Re: A-Level Choices
      Reply #1: Jul 21, 2011 12:02:33 am
      It's a fair while ago mate but I studied Government and Politics for A Level.

I honestly don't know if your choice would be similar today but the main focus was on the US government, UK government and Northern Ireland, although I think that was due to it being the NI examining board.

Interesting A Level and your choices seem to indicate it would interest you.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      Reply #2: Jul 21, 2011 12:04:31 am
      It's a fair while ago mate but I studied Government and Politics for A Level.

I honestly don't know if your choice would be similar today but the main focus was on the US government, UK government and Northern Ireland, although I think that was due to it being the NI examining board.

Interesting A Level and your choices seem to indicate it would interest you.

We are learning about the UK government in as, then in as2 we go onto learn about the American government, but yes i hope so, in regards to difficulty did you find it hard or bearable etc.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,336 posts | 4962 
      Reply #3: Jul 21, 2011 12:08:27 am
      We are learning about the UK government in as, then in as2 we go onto learn about the American government, but yes I hope so, in regards to difficulty did you find it hard or bearable etc.

I got a C grade but to be honest didn't focus properly during A Level. It isn't too difficult especially if you have an interest in the subject but I would imagine if you have no interest in Government history and systems it could be very boring and hard to get through.

Are all A Level's these days in two stages with the as and as2?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      Reply #4: Jul 21, 2011 12:10:51 am
      I got a C grade but to be honest didn't focus properly during A Level. It isn't too difficult especially if you have an interest in the subject but I would imagine if you have no interest in Government history and systems it could be very boring and hard to get through.

Are all A Level's these days in two stages with the as and as2?

Well in my school they are with the option to drop one in year 13, so mainly you get one as and 3 as2's. A C grade is good especially if its a new subject, i hope i can get a C grade, although my school is one of the best in London, it seems the 6th formers cannot get anything above a B in the subjects ive taken  :D.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5: Jul 21, 2011 12:12:03 am
      My A level choice was the pub, which eventually led to me being kicked out, so I don't advise that.  I took maths, physics, english lit & psychology, plus we were forced to take general studies, which was dull as ditchwater.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      Reply #6: Jul 21, 2011 12:13:15 am
      My A level choice was the pub, which eventually led to me being kicked out, so I don't advise that.  I took maths, physics, english lit & psychology, plus we were forced to take general studies, which was dull as ditchwater.

Opinions on psychology? It was either that or english lit, which did you prefer?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Jul 21, 2011 12:19:53 am
      Opinions on psychology? It was either that or english lit, which did you prefer?

I preferred English lit, but I'm a bookworm.  Psychology was not my cup of tea, which is probably why I ended up in the pub.  Plus I used to be able to write a C grade English paper in a few hours, whilst at the pub.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      Reply #8: Jul 21, 2011 12:21:30 am
      I preferred English lit, but I'm a bookworm.  Psychology was not my cup of tea, which is probably why I ended up in the pub.  Plus I used to be able to write a C grade English paper in a few hours, whilst at the pub.

I see, the pub was a important part of your education, I am sure, guessing you like my friend, had a beer belly before the end year 11.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #9: Jul 21, 2011 12:53:19 am
      Having had two unsuccessful attempts at finishing my education at college, I can't really say I'm the best placed to advise you mate.

I did do Psychology both times (in fact it was the only subject I kept after I dropped out and came back) and I have to say it was the only subject, excluding Philosophy, which held my attention much at all. I found it pretty interesting all the way through, though unfortunately I left before we started studying the best stuff.

I did both English's but hated them, partly because my English lang teacher was one  of the most shockingly poor I've ever had. I did history as well, but found the courses on offer very boring and the one I did end up choosing (American colonisation and civil war, plus the British occupation of India) weren't the most intriguing to me. I profess I've always found school and college extremely dull, and, similar to Rodd here, my attendance was always piss poor, hence the reason I left (twice). :)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      Reply #10: Jul 21, 2011 12:55:36 am
      Having had two unsuccessful attempts at finishing my education at college, I can't really say I'm the best placed to advise you mate.

I did do Psychology both times (in fact it was the only subject I kept after I dropped out and came back) and I have to say it was the only subject, excluding Philosophy, which held my attention much at all. I found it pretty interesting all the way through, though unfortunately I left before we started studying the best stuff.

Thanks for the reply, if i find law hard, i think i may drop that instead, but if not, i may take psychology for one year only.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Jul 21, 2011 12:57:33 am
      The only advise I can solidly give you is stick with it because you're a bit in the sh*t if you drop out! The subjects you are doing are very well respected (psychology to a lesser extent, still) so do well and you'll be set.

Good luck with Politics, even by my standards it was a snoozefest, dropped it after two weeks. :D
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #12: Jul 21, 2011 09:57:12 am
      Can't believe it was 3 years ago that i was making my choices, time has gone so fast!

I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Dropped Biology the second year. Forced to take General Studies.

I loved college though, best 2 years of my life. I don't think i would have been able to cope with those subjects if i went to any other college.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #13: Jul 22, 2011 12:23:03 am
      Same B, it's mad. I have just finished my first year in Uni so wasn't so long ago that I finished my A-levels.

I chose to to Government and Politics, P.E. and History. I loved Politics. I had a great teacher and I have to be honest, I was surprised how much I loved it. It was hard though. You will have to do a lot for it. I worked my ass of for P.E. That was very difficult. I haven't got a very scientific brain so I did struggle initially. But, I worked very hard and got through it, better than I could have ever asked for. In terms of History, I got a bit lucky. My Mum was a History teacher and so was able to help me with that.

Overall, I got 3 B's. If I had done more work at the start, I could have done even better. I defo recommend Government and Politics to anyone. Surprised me how much I loved it.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #14: Jul 22, 2011 06:58:25 pm
      I did History, Government and Politics, French, German and Chemistry at AS, then dropped Chemistry and did the others in my second year.

Languages is hard work for sure, definitely needs a lot of effort. Chemistry was quite difficult too, I just didn't enjoy like I thought I would so was hard to put the effort in for that. Politics were very good, quite a lot of essays for it but I enjoyed what I was learning and liked having debates about everything. And History was good too, not as a good as studying it at uni now, but thats just because I prefer the topics I'm doing now.

You definitely get out what you put in, if that makes sense! Definitely do subjects you'll enjoy otherwise you just won't be motivated to do the work, I think a lot of my friends would say that too.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #15: Jul 22, 2011 07:06:16 pm
      I preferred English lit, but I'm a bookworm.  Psychology was not my cup of tea, which is probably why I ended up in the pub.  Plus I used to be able to write a C grade English paper in a few hours, whilst at the pub.
      Similar story for me (not that I'm proud of it). Spent my 6th Form days in the local pub playing pool or on a Playstation at the house I shared with 4 mates. In 3 subjects, I probably attended a total of 8-10 lessons per year. If the school had been more strict then I would have been booted out but they didn't seem to care. I turned up for the exams and passed 2 of them.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #16: Jul 30, 2011 06:34:20 pm
      Psychology is a good choice (I teach it now, after so many years of studying it!) but do be aware (and you probably do know this) I get the feeling it is much more taught as a science for A'level these days.  So in that respect, it will differ slightly from your other choices.

So, expect, and this is what puts some people off, a degree of focus on different research methodologies, collecting your own data from people and analysing it using statistical tests.  Not as bad as it sounds as there are stats programs to your analysis for you.  When I were a lad...... we had to do it all via calculator and look our values up in tables.  You don't have to be a genius at stats, just how to interpret your results and how to write them up (and discuss them in relation to previous work).
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #17: Aug 01, 2011 07:39:47 am
      I did Maths, Accounting, Chemistry and Physics.

I think it's a pretty flexible choice and I love those subjects making it easier to score in A Levels to get into a decent university.

Everywhere needs accountants!

Quick Reply