Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Hull 3-0 Liverpool: Live and post match Shocker!

Read 24586 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Hull vs Liverpool: Match thread
      Reply #184: Jul 23, 2011 05:06:47 pm
      Yeah, that's the one I mentioned. Mainz beat us by 5-0 that pre-season. We also lost to Kaiserlautern (or something like that).

I hate friendlies, they mean nothing, for the good or for the bad. Voronin always played well in these games, then got back to being crap when it mattered. Winning those games means nothing either.

I remember that Mainz match as well. This time of the year five years ago wasn't it. I remember us playing a poor one against Grasshoppers as well.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #185: Jul 23, 2011 05:07:42 pm
      I agree vsaurez, people are sticking there head in the sand if they are saying don't worry about our defence it is only pre season. Kenny didn't seem happy and Evans was critical of us defensively.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #186: Jul 23, 2011 05:09:13 pm
      Has the owner tweeted yet?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #187: Jul 23, 2011 05:09:36 pm
      Disappointing first half, better second half. Not sure if our defence played but Flanaghan was the best of a bad bunch. Stand out players for me were Downing, Adam and Henderson.

Hopefully Carroll will get better support once Suarez is back, but he worked hard and caused Hull a few problems. Not too impressed with Domi from what I saw today, but hopefully we won't see much of him anyway this season, and it was his debut, so much too early to judge. :D

Aquilani? Neat on the ball as always, but dropped too deep again as in the first game, and just didn't get involved enough for me. Cole ..... still has the skill and the desire, just not got the legs anymore.

We could have had a few goals today, N'gog, Kuyt , Downing all had good chances, so its not all doom and gloom.

Maybe we are missing Lucas more than I ever dreamed  :D
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #188: Jul 23, 2011 05:11:11 pm
      In blue and white, blue and white, defensively we looked a F***ing sight!  Things will only get better.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #189: Jul 23, 2011 05:12:01 pm
      Maybe we are missing Lucas more than I ever dreamed  :D

Forgot to mention him in my post, but it does seem his presence was missed today, there was no defensive help midfield wise, the first time we have played at an upped tempo, the defense has fallen apart, maybe if Lucas was there to pick up the pieces we could of had control over the game.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #190: Jul 23, 2011 05:13:15 pm
      Its not an excuse that it is 'only' preseason. we played bad, and defensivly we were awfull, our DM (re-lucas) was  nowhere to be seen
        confident Kenny will fix this
        YNWA
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #191: Jul 23, 2011 05:13:55 pm
      Defensively was worrying watch the game again on lfctv now trying to pick more things of note, sorry to be harping on but Aqualini will get destroyed in the middle against premiership teams. We can now safely say that the games will b getting gradually harder so let's give him another chance to see if he can step up but I doubt it.

Downing is boSs but we knew that already, Carroll starting to look something and Flanno is a terrier. 
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #192: Jul 23, 2011 05:13:57 pm
      I'm not saying don't worry, for me I would not make too many judgements based on pre season.  Yes we made some mistakes, but that is partly what pre season is about.  We know a new left back is on the cards, maybe we are less sure about a CB as we seem to have so many.

I don't think the teams confidence will be hit and I don't think players will bust a gut to play like they would do in a competitive match.  Fitness is more important than over exertion and injuries.

I notice Kenny said he had them covering 8-9K running yesterday, so it was like playing two matches on consecutive days (suggesting fitness was the priority).
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #193: Jul 23, 2011 05:14:48 pm
      We have missed Lucas put imagine how much more confident we would all be going into the season if we signed a top class left back and centre half. I would actually think we could challenge

You are harping on Gazza Aquilani looked our best player in the first half and the only player that looked like he had an ounce of creativity so don't know why your bringing him up or well I do to be honest.

Offensively we have looked grand in pre season defensively we have been shocking, the people that are saying the are not worried is that because they expect us to sign defenders or are they happy to rely on players like the big greek.
      Sami92
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #194: Jul 23, 2011 05:20:24 pm
      I agree vsaurez, people are sticking there head in the sand if they are saying don't worry about our defence it is only pre season. Kenny didn't seem happy and Evans was critical of us defensively.

I've not got my head in the sand at all. What I am not doing is running around in some blind panic because we've conceded three goals against Hull. We've got time to rectify issues in the defence and also better players coming in. I've no reason to worry unless it continues into the actual season.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #195: Jul 23, 2011 05:22:09 pm
      Forgot to mention him in my post, but it does seem his presence was missed today, there was no defensive help midfield wise, the first time we have played at an upped tempo, the defense has fallen apart, maybe if Lucas was there to pick up the pieces we could of had control over the game.

One of the reasons I would like us to bring in another tackling midfielder, even at the expense of one of our more creative players.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #196: Jul 23, 2011 05:22:25 pm
      I'm not worried because I think a) the coaching staff are experienced and will sort it, b) players will be sharper in 3-4 weeks and c) the transfer window is still open if new players are required and d) our regular DM will be back soon. 

I am sure we will have a new left back and I will be disappointed if we don't sign one. 

Centre back I'm not so sure.  Would be nice, but unless Kiri goes I don't see them getting anyone else in as we have Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Kiri, Wilson, Ayala and Kelly that can play there.  I'm trusting the management on this one.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #197: Jul 23, 2011 05:24:46 pm
      One of the reasons I would like us to bring in another tackling midfielder, even at the expense of one of our more creative players.

I agree, i don't see it happening though, Kenny seems more attack minded, i doubt he will sacrifice one of the creative midfielders, i think he will try change one of there approaches to the game, making them more disciplined defensively when needed.
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #198: Jul 23, 2011 05:27:25 pm
      I've not got my head in the sand at all. What I am not doing is running around in some blind panic because we've conceded three goals against Hull. We've got time to rectify issues in the defence and also better players coming in. I've no reason to worry unless it continues into the actual season.

Rectify mitakes? The center back options arent good enough. All mediocre imo or past it. Players needed ASAP at center back imo
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #199: Jul 23, 2011 05:28:46 pm
      I agree, I don't see it happening though, Kenny seems more attack minded, I doubt he will sacrifice one of the creative midfielders, I think he will try change one of there approaches to the game, making them more disciplined defensively when needed.

Not too sure about that. We have already seen "signs" that Kenny was prepared to let Aquilani or Meireles go for the right price, I am sure he would like to bring in one more , but we would have to sell first.   
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #200: Jul 23, 2011 05:31:34 pm
      Never seen Aqualani before the games in asia, however even this novice to the game can see his passes are effortless and normally very well placed, he seem to know exactly where to put the ball even before it arrives. He does seem a bit "light" but quality is quality and I am sure after a little more match time he can rise to the occasion.

Flanno was well Flanno, does not matter if it is against the scum or a friendly he play's the exact same way no matter the opponent. I honestly don't see this kid getting "burned out young" or phased by anything, he is a natural at his position and has been consistently one of our best defenders since the 2nd half lasts season...if Kenny were to put him in the starting XI I for one would not complain.

Downing, Adam, Henderson and Carroll all looked good, would love to see a way to get those 4 along with Suarez, Gerrard, and Lucas all on the same pitch...I see only good thing's ahead.  
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #201: Jul 23, 2011 05:37:57 pm
      Quick question for people for people is it ye are not worried because ye expect us to sign a couple of defenders or ye actually think what we have is good enough.

Because if we are being honest with ourselves has anyone seen Chelsea Man City Spurs Arsenal or Utd conceed the amount of goals we have in pre season. Pre season or not we should not be beaten by a poor Hull side
      Sami92
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #202: Jul 23, 2011 05:39:58 pm
      Rectify mitakes? The center back options arent good enough. All mediocre imo or past it. Players needed ASAP at center back imo

Agger, Skrtel and Carragher are perfectly fine. Kelly can also feature at CB and the likes of Ayala and Wilson give us decent enough back-up. Another one could benefit us, but it's hardly a necessity. LB is much more of a pressing issue. We hardly need an overhaul.

Look at how many goals we've conceded over the past few seasons. We've got a solid base. There is no need to completely overhaul the defence, blocking off the progress of the young players we've got as well. Since Kenny and Steve Clarke came back, we saw a significant improvement in the defence, a massive one. One game against Hull and a game in bloody Malaysia will not change that fact at all.

We were missing Johnson, Agger and Skrtel today. Three of our main defenders. Relying on inexperience and back-up. Of course we weren't going to keep a clean sheet. How many teams do in pre-season with their regulars missing?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,559 posts | 1547 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #203: Jul 23, 2011 05:43:07 pm
      We need to cut this out before it becomes a habit
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #204: Jul 23, 2011 05:44:02 pm
      Kelly hasn't played centre half for years, he says himself he is a right back, Agger has massive injury problems, Carragher is 33 and if people are being honest has seen his best days. That leaves Skrtel for me who is massively under rated. If people think centre half is not a necessity really am surprised.

Have you seen our other top 4 conceed as many goals as us in pre season why do you think that is
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #205: Jul 23, 2011 05:44:21 pm
      Quick question for people for people is it ye are not worried because ye expect us to sign a couple of defenders or ye actually think what we have is good enough.

Because if we are being honest with ourselves has anyone seen Chelsea Man City Spurs Arsenal or Utd conceed the amount of goals we have in pre season. Pre season or not we should not be beaten by a poor Hull side

THIS ^^^
      Sami92
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #206: Jul 23, 2011 05:46:39 pm
      Kelly hasn't played centre half for years, he says himself he is a right back, Agger has massive injury problems, Carragher is 33 and if people are being honest has seen his best days. That leaves Skrtel for me who is massively under rated. If people think centre half is not a necessity really am surprised.

Have you seen our other top 4 conceed as many goals as us in pre season why do you think that is

Because they've all got their first teams out. Not to mention, Man United, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal are all better than us.

If we had beaten Hull 3-0 would this argument even be present? I highly doubt it. Agger might be injury prone and Carragher may not be what he was, but both are still top class defenders. There are more pressing concerns that need to be addressed before CB.

Quick Reply