Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Galatasaray 3:0 Liverpool FC Pre:Match & OMG Post Comment

Read 55697 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Galatasaray vs Liverpool FC 28th July, KO: 19:00 BST
      Reply #529: Jul 28, 2011 11:00:29 pm
      Missed the game as I had to go out , but after reading all the comments I'm glad I did. Don't think I'll bother watching the replay !!
      I know it's a pre season game but it doesn't breed confidence for the upcoming season!

The second half's coming up on LFC.TV which was an improvement on the first.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #530: Jul 28, 2011 11:01:42 pm
      No doubt about it. There's some bums in our squad who are only here for a wage and they were severely exposed once again tonight.

Spot on that.  A lot of players who we want to get rid of, they know we want to get rid of, and we just sent off to Turkey for a day.

Hopefully over time, these klingons will be removed from the club but it will take another 18 months I think.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #531: Jul 28, 2011 11:05:06 pm
      I didn't get to see the game as I've been working all day but sounds like a poor performance.

It is a worry, no matter who the opposition is, that we seem to be conceding goals but as has been pointed out before there were over ten players who we would all consider first team players not playing tonight so a bit of perspective is needed when looking at results like this.

If the players we are looking to move on are still here after the transfer window I wouldn't expect them to get much playing time so their performance tonight will have little impact on the coming season a I would expect Kenny would use some of the younger players before them.

As I said it is a bit of a worry to keep conceding goals but would be more of a problem if were still doing it next week and when the season begins with our first choice defenders playing.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #532: Jul 28, 2011 11:06:05 pm
      Should have called it Liverpool Reserve or Liverpool XI game.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #533: Jul 28, 2011 11:07:12 pm
      This sums it up for me, someone posted on twitter.

"@briankettle: If you were Dalglish and FSG snapped the chequebook before you'd finished buying, what line-up would you field to make a point?"
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #534: Jul 28, 2011 11:10:43 pm
      This sums it up for me, someone posted on twitter.

"@briankettle: If you were Dalglish and FSG snapped the chequebook before you'd finished buying, what line-up would you field to make a point?"

Hadn't thought of it like that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #535: Jul 28, 2011 11:11:18 pm
      Agreed.  He really got himself in a mess when it came to talking tactics.

As far as I can see, Aquilani looks best in a position like where Gerrard plays.  I bet he wouldn't say Gerrard couldn't play with Suarez.

I'd be obliged to keep Alberto as back up if Gerrard gets injured.  Think he would do a better job there than Meireles or Kuyt moving across.

I think the problem of playing Aquilani in that role is he doesn't offer enough of a goal threat. You would expect someone playing "in the hole" or as a creative second striker to score around 10 to 15 goals a season in addition to a similar number of assists.   
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #536: Jul 28, 2011 11:15:27 pm
      I think we've all overlooked the big story from tonight.

Philipp Degen went off when the manager decided, and not when the stretcher came on.

Amazing.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #537: Jul 28, 2011 11:23:43 pm

I think we've all overlooked the big story from tonight.

Philipp Degen went off when the manager decided, and not when the stretcher came on.

Amazing.

:lmao:  All the medical staff and stretcher bearers were disappointed though, they had told all their family and friends they would be on the tv tonight.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #538: Jul 28, 2011 11:26:18 pm
      Hopefully over time, these klingons will be removed from the club but it will take another 18 months I think.

I reckon Worf would dominate in the air as a centerhalf.

Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #539: Jul 29, 2011 12:20:35 am
      As much as I realise the lack of importance these games hold, this, and the Hull game have slightly dented my confidence heading into the new season.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #540: Jul 29, 2011 12:44:40 am
      Fair point.

But if Poulsen HAD scored a hat-trick, we might now be singing a different tune as we packed him on his way.

Sorry to drag this back to the start of the page, but this post stuck in my mind.

That's EXACTLY how I feel about Raul - he scored a few goals, and all of a sudden, he's played a blinder - I don't see what he offers us.

I realise that it sounds contradictory, but really, apart from his little scoring spell, what did he give us?

He didn't tackle, his passing wasn't great, he used space fairly well and his teamplay wasn't great, he scored a few goals but didn't really contribute anything else...

Am I missing something?
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #541: Jul 29, 2011 12:47:29 am

Chromosome?  :confused-smiley-013:

Kidding!
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #542: Jul 29, 2011 12:50:06 am
       :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You might be right - nice one  :lmao:
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #543: Jul 28, 2011 11:57:27 pm

Regarding Poulsen: He's the first player I've ever seen retire whilst still playing! remarkable. Usually when footballers retire they hang up their boots, play some golf, do a bit of tv work, catch up with the wife but he's deifying all logic, he somehow remains on the pitch!!!

Both these players  (Poulsen and Cole) and others are hindering the progress of the younger pros, therefore hurting the club on many different levels. We have younger players who are better than them, they just need to be played  Its embarrassing to field someone clearly so unfit as he has been blowing hard on the 10-15min for virtually every game he's played for us and probably during his last season at Chelsea. Problem is the more he plays the more apparent it becomes which means the chances of moving him on without shelling out millions on the remainder of his contract become minimal. Our only hope is QPR on a free, he can still sell shirts in West London and they could easily afford his wages if they wanted to. Nice marketing ploy for them and we save face, everyone's happy.

Cole  hasn't played a decent competative game in about 2yrs, he looked like he was on his last legs at Chelsea and now we'll probably have to sit with him until his contract expeires, by which time it will have cost this club about £14m!!! No chance of any mutual agreement about terminating his contract, why would he walk away from such a big pension!
      Same goes for Poulsen, who's pretty much come out and said he's going nowhere, looks like we're stuck with him too.
      Then you have Degen & Insua who it feels like, have been at the club an eternity.
      We have more dead wood that a South Amaerican Rain Forest, but at least Jovanovic looks like he wats to find a club and play some football.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #544: Jul 29, 2011 04:09:10 am
      Sorry to drag this back to the start of the page, but this post stuck in my mind.

That's EXACTLY how I feel about Raul - he scored a few goals, and all of a sudden, he's played a blinder - I don't see what he offers us.

I realise that it sounds contradictory, but really, apart from his little scoring spell, what did he give us?

He didn't tackle, his passing wasn't great, he used space fairly well and his teamplay wasn't great, he scored a few goals but didn't really contribute anything else...

Am I missing something?

At the moment it's clear that if we need to sell to buy, I'll sell Raul to buy a DM. We lack a good cover for Lucas. Maybe Spearing... Aquilani is the spark we have been lacking for 2 seasons now.

Soto, Poulsen, Mereiles, Cole, Maxi should leave. And we should sign 4 knew young players with hunger.
      A LB-Pereira
      A CB-Coates
      A winger - N'zogbia
      A DM- Sissoko, M,Villa, (any) Diarra...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,498 posts | 2869 
      Reply #545: Jul 29, 2011 07:00:06 am
      Hmm, just read the last few pages.

Didn't watch the game myself as it kicked off quite late over here.

Not sure who mentioned it but the person who said people took this game more seriously than the Europa League was bang on. Think some people need to take a step back and think for a minute.

Yes we were disappointing and yes it hurts to see us lose any game but this WAS a second string Liverpool and it was a team that probably have never played together.

In the coming season I don't see us making 11 changes for any match because we have no Europe anymore. So the situation we saw yesterday (all this is assuming we were poor) won't really arise during the season. Yeah we'll get injuries/suspensions but not 11 at the same time!

I hope that because we rested a lot of first teamers we'll see a more regular Liverpool in our last couple of friendlies, I'll only get concerned if we lose both our next games with a more settled team.

How did we play in general by the way? Any decent performances? Heard Aquilani impressed?
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #546: Jul 29, 2011 08:44:10 am
      It's a typical friendly game (more likely a practical game) with a bit expected result as we sent out our inexperienced players mostly. The message was clear for us and that's to give another chance for those underachievers and young players to impress us before the season starts but, you know, losing a game for Liverpool is always has a bitter taste and it affects our judgment as a Red 'couse we like to think positive and have reasons to do it to be honest.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #547: Jul 29, 2011 09:00:23 am
      Kenny's Istanbul verdict

28th Jul 2011 - Latest News

Kenny Dalglish acknowledged his disappointment at seeing Liverpool go down to a 3-0 friendly defeat to Galatasaray on Thursday, but believes the game can stand his squad in good stead for the season ahead.

Two first-half goals from former Anfield forward Milan Baros and a stunning volley from Johan Elmander condemned the Reds to defeat in Istanbul.

But while unhappy with the result, Dalglish feels the workout his players were given at the Turk Telekom Arena will assist in ensuring their primed for the start of the Barclays Premier League season next month.

He told a post-match press conference: "I think they looked a bit sharper than us at the start of the game. It was the same as at the weekend in that we played a lot better in the second half than we did in the first half.

"But the players worked hard and they'll benefit from the effort they put in. It won't do us any harm for the season ahead, but we've got to get ourselves a bit sharper, a bit more clued up and lively when we're not in possession of the ball."

He added: "I think the benefit is it's another game. They looked a bit sharper than us and are maybe a wee bit ahead of us. Their season was due to start but I think it's been put back for a number of days."

"We've just got to get ourselves street-wise on the pitch and get up to speed with our thoughts when we're not in possession of the ball. August 13 is a big day for us when the season starts, and we'd like to think this will stand us in good stead getting towards that date."

Liverpool named a youthful squad for the trip to Turkey, with the likes of Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson, Jamie Carragher and Daniel Agger remaining at Melwood to prepare for Monday's trip to Valerenga.

Asked about his team selection, Dalglish told reporters: "It's pre-season. We've another game on Monday and we've got to pick another team.

"We'll have people back who weren't eligible for this game. For the young boys who played it will have been a great experience for them, and for the players who played it will be good for fitness.

"We don't want to lose a game, but we've got two games in four days and a long trip home tonight, so we had to take that into consideration when we were picking the team - and we'll also take it into consideration when we pick the team on Monday."

Meanwhile, local journalists asked Dalglish for his thoughts on the performance of Galatasaray star Arda Turan as well as the atmosphere inside the Turk Telekom Arena.

He replied: "It was a good atmosphere, Galatasaray played well, they were sharp at the beginning and quicker than us, but I wouldn't have picked out any of their players because we were only watching our own players."

Author: James Carroll at the Turk Telekom Arena

Source

Well said KD. It's just a friendly match to test the youngsters and give a run out to some players who may have little chance to play at the next game(s).
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #548: Jul 29, 2011 09:04:52 am
      Pre season games are for getting players match fit for the season with that in mind will someone explain to me why poulsen has been on the pitch more than any other player in pre season
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #549: Jul 29, 2011 09:34:17 am
      Pre season games are for getting players match fit for the season with that in mind will someone explain to me why poulsen has been on the pitch more than any other player in pre season

Well, we should ask KD to be honest, but with Lucas out do we have other defending midfielder (beside Jay of course) who NEED to impress, with his mere chances he had in the last season?!
      No. I think KD want to look at those, we called 'The Deadwood', and give them another chance before they're sold.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #550: Jul 29, 2011 09:44:09 am
      It was dire - but its only pre-season!
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #551: Jul 29, 2011 09:59:15 am
      For those who missed the game or to analyze and get something from the highlight of the game, I put the full text commentary from EuroSport here. I hope you find it some useful anyway.

LIVERPOOL: Doni - Insua, Kyrgiakos, Kelly, Flanagan - Poulsen, Shelvey, Cole, Degen, Robinson - Carroll

GALATASARAY: Ercetin - Gulselam, Ujfalusi, Gokan Zan, Birinci - Kazim-Richards, Melo, Inan, Turan - Baros, Balta

2' Big chance for Baros! It opened up for the former Liverpool man in no time and he very nearly stuck the first goal away - in fact, he probably should have!

7' Pacy move through the Galatasaray midfield almost releases Elmander, but Doni rushes out to claim.

5' Aimless kick forward from Ercetin hands Liverpool a throw, but the Reds (in black today) have yet to settle.

3' Not the best start from the Reds, but perhaps a reflection of a newish-looking side.

8' GOAL FOR GALATASARAY! BAROS! He scores against his old club after a simple cross from Turan on the left, and a comfortable finish from 10 yards!

9' Plenty of noise and passion at a full ground in Turkey so far - but Liverpool tend to prefer the second half when playing in Istanbul...

11' Galatasaray have made some good signings of late - Elmander has arrived from Bolton and Juventus midfielder Felipe Melo has added some steel. Both men on show today.

13' Poulsen crashes in on Baros. Very poor tackle, and if it weren't a friendly, you can be sure it would have earned a yellow card.

14' Yellow for Shelvey who pulls Hakan Yilmanz away by the neck - frustration bubbling over, and Kyrgiakos has a word in the youngster's ear.

15' Turan picked out in the box but Flanagan closes down well - there's nowhere for him to go.

16' Good run from Kazim-Richards, who somehow managed to keep the ball in play on the byline - but he was too far ahead of the play to find a telling pass.

18' Rare foray forward for Liverpool - an attempt to thread Carroll through is unsuccessful. Hands on hips as the Reds struggle.

20' Poulsen trudges back into a defensive position as Liverpool try to organise themselves. No sign of their fluidity from last season so far.

22' Yellow card for Hakan Balta after a wild lunge on Flanagan.

24' Carroll almost through, but his control lets him down as he tries to take the ball into his stride.

26' Nosebleed for Gokhan and there's a break in play.

27' An impromptou 'drinks break' here - Dalglish has a chance to talk to his playes and get a bit more from them.

28' Mind you, it's worth mentioning that it's 27C in Turkey tonight - hot and balmy weather.

29' A waste from Inan - after a move just as slick as the one which led to the opeing goal, Inan hangs on to the ball and tries a needless chip. Must do better...

31' Half a chance for Carroll again. Fashioned from almost nothing, and he cannot control the header.

32' Cole caught offside trying to break down the right - but signs that the Galatasaray defence could be vulnerable to the through ball.

33' Another yellow - this one for Degen - he was extremely late on that challenge. Needle in this match

34' GREAT SAVE DONI! Once again Liverpool are cut apart, but this time the new goalkeeper makes a sharp save from the header, and Melo's follow-up is off the mark.

35' Meo tries to stir the Galatasaray crowd! They absolutely don't need it, they're having a great time.

36' CHANCE FOR LIVERPOOL! KELLY! Carroll tipped the ball into his path in point-blank range and really the defender should have tucked it away. Perhaps he was surprised to see no offside flag...

38' Late tackle from Shelvey on Melo - the youngster really has to be careful.

39' GOAL! BAROS AGAIN! After a half-chance produces a corner Liverpool are caught napping and Baros pops up at the far post to nod a header in from a couple of yards out. Trouble for the visitors...

41' Joe Cole tries a first-time pass, but Degen is offside and wouldn't have been able to get on the ball anyhow. Connections just not there. Surely we'll see some changes at the interval?

43' Replays show Poulsen caught short trying to hold off Baros for the second goal. Where on earth will he fit into Liverpool's midfield this year?

44' Another set-piece chance for Galatasaray, but this time Liverpool do a good job of clearing the corner.

45+1' Cole flashes a volley over the top from the edge of the area. Might have done better to pass after Shelvey played him in?

45+2' Jonjo Shelvey has a decent effort from distance, only just wide of the post - and Melo, who fell in the build-up off the ball, has suffered an injury.

45+2' HALF-TIME: A strange first half comes to an end. Liverpool outclassed and two down - plenty to do in the second period.

46' The second half begins - and there's a huge number of substitutions from both sides. Bear with me...

47' Kuyt, Aquilani, Brad Jones all on - Robinson, Doni and Degen off. Galatasaray change their keeper.

48' Cole through and forces a save! No - it was offside, the flag does go up, but late.

50' Liverpool certainly brighter so far- looks like the have settled into a 4-4-2 and it's working better.

52' Carroll urging his side on - but it's been a lonely evening for him. He's had to make his own chances.

54' Corner for Liverpool now, which Cole takes. Carroll wins the header, but it bounces safely into the goalkeeper's gloves.

56' All Liverpool in this second period - Shelvey and Cole combining well. Both men know they have a lot to do to find a spot in the Liverpool midfield this season.

57' Set piece from Shelvey goes out for a corner, and Galatasaray are lining up a change as we approach the hour mark.

58' Better again from Liverpool - Baros tries to trick his way into the box and once again Shelvey is there to help the back four and prevent access.

60' The substitution yet to come and for now Liverpool continue on the offensive. Yet to see a clear-cut chance materialise though.

62' Dalglish watching on from the touchline looks quite concerned. He has plenty of fresh faces he'll be able to bring into the team, but it's not been the best of evenings so far.

64' GOOD MOVE FROM LIVERPOOL! Aquilani close! A slick move with Kuyt the provider, and the ball ricochets away off the keeper from close range!

66' Berinci on at left-back, Elmander on for Kazim-Richards.

67' Another drinks break in Turkey - it's been a balmy evening.

68' Moments like this make you realise what a huge task it would be to hold the World Cup in Qatar in high summer...

69' The players are ready to go again - twenty minutes for Liverpool to rescue something from this game.

71' Melo off, Ayhan replaces him.

73' Sarioglu lets fly from all fo 25 yards - a cracking effort, but started a bit too high and didn't dip in time.

75' Baros' evening ends - Stancu on for him. It's been a cracking evening for the former Liverpool striker.

76' Spearing is on, and immediately involved in a scrappy challenge. Galatasaray free-kick.

77' A threatening set-piece from Galatasaray is well defended by Andy Carroll, but he has to concede a corner - Ayala has come on from the Reds in place of Flanagan.

78' Cole makes a valiant run but the through ball doesn't reach him. The hosts are back on the move, their flowing football seems to be returning.

79' Turan's tries to play in Stancu and almost gets the ball spot on - Liverpool survive.

80' Liverpool counter! Brave move from the Reds and Carroll pops up at the back post to try and nod home - Ceylan has it covered.

80' Liverpool counter! Brave move from the Reds and Carroll pops up at the back post to try and nod home - Ceylan has it covered.

83' Coady and Wisdom on for Carroll and Poulsen - Gulselam will get a few minutes for Galatasaray too.

84' WHAT A GOAL! ELMANDER MAKES IT THREE! Liverpool were too casual on the ball in defence, the ball was poached, flicked across to the substitute and lashed in past Brad Jones. A cracker - low and crisp from 25 yards, in off the post.

85' Liverpool have conceded three goals in every friendly so far this season - and it looks like history is set to repeat itself.

86' Well, it could be worse! Gokhan Zan gets in a great header and Brad Jones has to make a top drawer save to deny the Turks a fourth!

88' Liverpool have been better in the second half than they were in the first, but it's been a pretty grim evening.

89' But they can console themselves - no Reina, Gerrard, Suarez, Henderson, Downing, Carragher amongst others - there's more to come.

90' Semih on for Ujfalusi in a final change for the Turkish side.

90+1' Half a chance! Insua plays in a good cross, Wisdom nods back towards Kuyt and he's felled just as he looks like he might pull the trigger! He wants a penalty, but the referee is not interested...

90+2' Kyrgiakos just over the bar from a corner! Liverpool with a couple of late chances, but they're slipping to defeat tonight.

90+3' FULL TIME: That'll do - a dour night comes to an end for Liverpool. The Turks were impressive - a Liverpool makeshift team far less so. What did Kenny Dalglish learn from that disappointing defeat?

Source
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2011 04:32:20 pm by Devil Hunter »

Quick Reply