Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Galatasaray 3:0 Liverpool FC Pre:Match & OMG Post Comment

Read 55491 times
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Re: Galatasaray vs Liverpool FC 28th July, KO: 19:00 BST
      Reply #552: Jul 29, 2011 11:01:21 am
      Hmm, just read the last few pages.

Didn't watch the game myself as it kicked off quite late over here.

Not sure who mentioned it but the person who said people took this game more seriously than the Europa League was bang on. Think some people need to take a step back and think for a minute.

Yes we were disappointing and yes it hurts to see us lose any game but this WAS a second string Liverpool and it was a team that probably have never played together.

In the coming season I don't see us making 11 changes for any match because we have no Europe anymore. So the situation we saw yesterday (all this is assuming we were poor) won't really arise during the season. Yeah we'll get injuries/suspensions but not 11 at the same time!

I hope that because we rested a lot of first teamers we'll see a more regular Liverpool in our last couple of friendlies, I'll only get concerned if we lose both our next games with a more settled team.

How did we play in general by the way? Any decent performances? Heard Aquilani impressed?

^^^ Good points.  Some of the reaction has again, been 'interesting'.

My theory is many posters have different view on both the importance of and who should be playing in friendly matches.  This differs from the LFC management team, so even before we'd got on the pitch, some people were upset.

I'm waiting for someone to dig out all the pre-season results from say 1970 onwards (Mr Tomkins are you reading?) to demonstrate the fact they are called friendly games for a reason.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #553: Jul 29, 2011 11:05:35 am
      Friendlies and all, players need matches for match fitness, you can't just throw the first team players in for the Sunderland game and expect them to perform. Kenny should be concentrating what formation he is going to play now and try it last night. Last night was a waste fu**ed all was gained or learned
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #554: Jul 29, 2011 11:11:20 am
      Friendlies and all, players need matches for match fitness, you can't just throw the first team players in for the Sunderland game and expect them to perform. Kenny should be concentrating what formation he is going to play now and try it last night. Last night was a waste fu**ed all was gained or learned

Are you really suggesting, or telling KD what he should be doing?  Seriously?
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #555: Jul 29, 2011 12:38:52 pm
      The match last night was pretty miserable, but we have to look upwards and onwards.

I just hope that starting from the very next preseason game we play as many players as we can that will be starting for us in the first game of the season. We need the players that will be putting their all for the club in the following season to play together now and gel together now. I feel the game last night was a wasted opportunity where we could have seen the players that will more than likely play for us regularly battle against a good team.

YNWA.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #556: Jul 29, 2011 12:47:14 pm
      The match last night was pretty miserable, but we have to look upwards and onwards.

I just hope that starting from the very next preseason game we play as many players as we can that will be starting for us in the first game of the season. We need the players that will be putting their all for the club in the following season to play together now and gel together now. I feel the game last night was a wasted opportunity where we could have seen the players that will more than likely play for us regularly battle against a good team.

YNWA.

Why a wasted opportunity?  Read what Kenny said.

Again who are we to question the clubs preparation just because it doesn't fit with the views of some.
      vaughan
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #557: Jul 29, 2011 12:54:52 pm
      Par for the course for them.

Had some time to calm down, we were missing a lot of first teamers. But we have been left with some sh*t by Rafa and Roy that is soaking up wages and will take a miracle to clear.
      Interesting that so many people think they know better than the management team as to how best prepare a team for a football season.
      Was 'that' prepparation? That aint even the  team that's gona play on the 13th, or @ least i hope so. I'll go by the shop window thing and the only lad to have impressed enough to get noticed is Aqua. How unfortunate for us
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #558: Jul 29, 2011 01:24:35 pm
      Terrible result, but I can't say I was expecting more.

When you mix youth with sheer mediocrity you won't get far at all. Then again, we only really had Kuyt who would be considered a first team regular available to us.

I'm disappointed, but not as disappointed if we'd had Gerrard, Suarez, Carragher, Lucas and friends in the lineup.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 358 posts |
      Reply #559: Jul 29, 2011 04:40:59 pm
      'LFC will always be in my heart'

29th Jul 2011 - Latest News

Milan Baros admitted he was delighted to net a brace for Galatasaray during Liverpool's 3-0 defeat in Istanbul on Thursday night - but insisted the Reds will always retain a special place in his heart.

The Czech forward struck twice in the first half at the Turk Telekom Arena as Kenny Dalglish's side slipped to defeat.

However, having made 108 appearances for Liverpool between 2001 and 2005 and featured in the Champions League final victory in Istanbul, Baros remains an enthusiastic follower of our fortunes.

"It is always nice to play against a team who you have played for. I was happy I scored and I think we played well," the striker told Liverpoolfc.tv. "I wish Liverpool all the best for the season.

"This is my fourth season here at Galatasaray and I am really happy. We didn't play well last season, but now we've signed some good players and I hope it's going to be better than last year.

"Of course I still look out for Liverpool's results. I always follow them because I am a big supporter of Liverpool. I spent three and a half years there and won the Champions League.

"I think it (the Champions League final) is the greatest game I have ever played in. Especially when we were 3-0 down at half-time and still managed to win. It was a special night and I think it was my best night in my football career.

"Liverpool will always stay in my heart. I hope they are going to play better than last year and they'll be closer to the top four and play for the title."

Baros has been impressed with Liverpool's resurgence under Dalglish - and he is confident the club's summer transfer dealings will see them challenging for the game's top honours in 2011-12.

He added: "The new signings add more quality to the team. The English league is very tough, but if everyone is going to be fit like Stevie G, Carra and all of the new players, I think they have a chance to be back up there."

One man in particular who has caught Baros's eye has been Luis Suarez.

The Uruguay striker made a seamless transition into English football following his January transfer to Anfield from Ajax - but Baros reckons there is more to come.

"You saw him at Ajax and for the national team and it was clear he had quality," he said. "He is a great player and is still young, so he can still improve. I think he will be a great player in Liverpool's future."

Only a handful of Liverpool fans made the journey to Istanbul for the friendly with Galatasaray on Thursday, though Baros is dreaming of a return to Anfield and a chance to come face-to-face with the Kop once more.

He said: "Liverpool fans have always been nice to me. I hope I can come back to Anfield one time and I can clap the fans. I hope they will be happy with the players, the team and the results and they will enjoy trophies again."

Liverpoolfc.tv

Once called 'The Balkan's Maradona' scored a brace and looked sharp and, as KD said, their sharpness on final touch was the difference. Though we all know their quality of players and football was superior to us. But that's it for a typical friendly match. They're there to be forgotten in terms of results but not performance of the players individually as our coaching stuff would consider every details of the game.
      Sami92
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #560: Jul 29, 2011 05:01:27 pm

What an awful post. Can I ask you what your managerial qualifications and what you have achieved in football management?

Kenny knows what he is doing. We've got two games in a short space of time. Those that are near enough full-fitness will play Monday, those that aren't played yesterday and will probably play a small role on Monday as well. Don't forget, it's hard to set out your team how you intend to play next season when; a) Most of them aren't here/fit b) you won't actually have a set formation (as Kenny changed the system quite often last season depending on the opponents), c) you've got players that seem to be fitter than others.

Everyone needs to be fit for the season, and I have a feeling that Kenny, his highly qualified and skilled coaching  staff as well as his medical and fitness team know what they are doing.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #561: Jul 29, 2011 05:05:27 pm
      What an awful post. Can I ask you what your managerial qualifications and what you have achieved in football management?

Since when did a brick layer need to be an architect?
      Sami92
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #562: Jul 29, 2011 05:07:24 pm
      Since when did a brick layer need to be an architect?

So you think that Kenny, the coaching staff, the fitness and medical team have all wasted their time with the game yesterday?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #563: Jul 29, 2011 05:11:19 pm
      So you think that Kenny, the coaching staff, the fitness and medical team have all wasted their time with the game yesterday?

Never said that did I?
      Sami92
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #564: Jul 29, 2011 05:13:56 pm

Well, that's what he said. I'd take the opinion of those in charge, who actually know what they are doing with regards to player conditioning and fitness than a fan. Wouldn't you?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #565: Jul 29, 2011 05:14:50 pm
      Well, that's what he said. I'd take the opinion of those in charge, who actually know what they are doing with regards to player conditioning and fitness than a fan. Wouldn't you?

I was just stating he was allowed an opinion.
      Sami92
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #566: Jul 29, 2011 05:15:51 pm
      I was just stating he was allowed an opinion.

I didn't ban him from having an opinion. I just said he was wrong.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #567: Jul 29, 2011 05:30:24 pm
      I didn't ban him from having an opinion. I just said, in my opinion,he was wrong.

Fixed that for you.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #568: Jul 29, 2011 05:46:26 pm
      Think this was more of putting a few players in the shop window kind of game to be honest. As for Doni, anyone else worried about the amount of goals he has already conceded, i know it's only pre season but still!!
      Sami92
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Re: Galatasaray 3:0 Liverpool FC Pre:Match & OMG Post Comment
      Reply #569: Jul 29, 2011 06:53:57 pm

Fixed what exactly? Pointing out my opinion was my opinion? Because that's not fixing anything, if anything, that's just repeating what I said with a little more, needless, clarity.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #570: Jul 29, 2011 07:15:17 pm
      Think this was more of putting a few players in the shop window kind of game to be honest. As for Doni, anyone else worried about the amount of goals he has already conceded, I know it's only pre season but still!!
      No, not when they are not his fault, thought he did well yesterday actually, few good saves.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #571: Jul 29, 2011 07:28:21 pm
      Think this was more of putting a few players in the shop window kind of game to be honest. As for Doni, anyone else worried about the amount of goals he has already conceded, I know it's only pre season but still!!

With the majority of the goals he's conceded the blame has to lie with the defence in front of him. The first Gala goal was a prime example, we were just opened up and Doni had no chance. You could argue that the defence is worse off with Doni than with Reina because Pepe knows his defenders better, but that's about it I think.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,851 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #572: Jul 29, 2011 07:53:47 pm
      Didn't catch the game , was the Turkish team their first team? or was it squad players like our s and youth like ours? but all things aside why do we still have players like Cole and Poulsen playing for us.....i'd rather have that F***ing meerkat on the tv
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #573: Jul 29, 2011 07:58:28 pm
      Didn't catch the game , was the Turkish team their first team? or was it squad players like our s and youth like ours? but all things aside why do we still have players like Cole and Poulsen playing for us.....I'd rather have that f**king meerkat on the tv

We were interested in him but he chose Arsenal.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #574: Jul 29, 2011 08:42:18 pm
       IĀ“m not massibothered by the result or the performance (although I didnĀ“t see it, in Teneriefe with the Mrs and kids and couldnĀ“t arrange a pass). One thing it does confirm once again (for me anyway) is that we have far too many players in the squad who are substandard. We have a number who are only close to being good enough when they are surrounded by the top players, and unfortunately too many who simply arenĀ“t good enough. Equally, we have quite a few who people hold out big hopes for but who are a mile off in my view.

Clearly Cole, Poulsen and Kyriakos are in the not good enough section. Spearing and players of his ilk are in the "need to be surrounded by top players" section, while others such as Insua and IMHO Shelvey as well, are nowhere near as good as many of our supporters believe they are. I donĀ“t think either player will ever make it at a top club, they arenĀ“t good enough.

Fortunately, only Carroll in all probability out of our regular first team played in this match, and we can expect better on Monday. We need better. Meaningless friendly or not, getting tanked 3-0 is not a habit we want to be getting into.

Quick Reply