Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Corruption in FIFA

Read 6529 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Corruption in FIFA
      Reply #23: May 30, 2011 11:02:21 pm
      No. I felt it was a con from day 1. Far more suitable countries in the 2022 pool, and far more Footballing nations in 2022 pool that err, play football too. Also these countries would leave a Footballing legacy, and not ship these stadia to other countries after the games were over.

I seriously hope their is a boycott of what will be a truly sh*t tournament in a sh*t undeserving "football" environment. You have to earn the right to host the world cup - not buy it.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #24: May 30, 2011 11:47:47 pm
      A quote from my manc brother:
      "I dunno, I think he may be starting to be seen for what he is, a F***ing dinosaur with neolithic thoughts about a progressive game that he has no idea about........am I close?"

Sounds about right to me.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #25: Jun 01, 2011 09:43:55 am
      FIFA are a joke, Blatter is a corrupt clown. I mean...what other reason can there be to take the WC to Qatar for fucks sake!

All this nonsense about FIFA family etc ....f**k off you tw*t, the whole structure needs to be stripped down and re-built by people who really understand the game and the fans.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #26: Jun 01, 2011 10:09:53 am
      Dear Mr Blatter,

If there is 1 thing you did well in 13 years, is generating obscene amount of money for FIFA..Top mark on that, but for the rest, you stinks...

What makes me scream of rage the most, is that attitude that FIFA (and especially you) has regarding football...... that football belong to FIFA...

FOOTBALL BELONG TO THE WORLD! Not FIFA! and justifying that Fifa is not in crisis by saying things like"..Look at the champions league Final..." is no short of disgraceful...

Football belong to the WORLD!

With or without FIFA... kids will keep playing football everywhere, whenever it's on the beach of Rio or in my local park at home in Bristol...With or without FIFA.... Leagues will be created and fans will go to watch their team..with or without FIFA, tournaments will be organised... by volunteers if we have to.. and why is that Mr Blatter??? Because WE love the game, because Football was there before FIFA and will exist long after...

So enjoy the ride, because soon or later, you'll fall.

stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #27: Jun 01, 2011 10:14:14 am
      Money talks, Blatter got the vote to continue in charge for the next 4 years.Think that lad is a arse he hasen got a clue about football,every thing his dose is backwards.  :mad:
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #28: Jun 01, 2011 05:10:31 pm
      Blatter re-elected then, glad to see such a helpful FIFA representative assisting the the voters by declaring "You must choose from the one name on the ballot paper".

Genius  :lmao:

What a joke!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #29: Jul 10, 2011 08:58:54 pm
      SHOCK HORROR!

Qatar 2022 'whistleblower' in corruption U-turn
      The "whistleblower" behind a series of corruption allegations involving Fifa executive committee members and Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid has told the BBC she fabricated the claims.

Phaedra Al Majid, a former international media officer for Qatar 2022, said she wanted to exact revenge after losing her job on the campaign.

She decided to go public after she said her "lies had gone too far".

Al Majid has now signed a legal affadavit retracting the allegations.
      Originally made anonymously to journalists, the claims became the subject of an inquiry by the parliamentary select committee for culture, media and sport.

She says she is deeply sorry for the trouble she has caused World Cup officials in Qatar and the three Fifa executive committee members she accused of accepting bribes.

"I was very upset after I left the bid and wanted to basically hurt the bid back," she said. "My intentions were to make a few headlines, I never expected that my lies would be carried on and discussed in parliament.

"It just went too far. I never expected it to come to this point. There was never anything suspicious or any wrongdoing on Qatar's part.

"I cannot tell you how sorry I am. I have hurt reputations of three members of the Fifa exco, I have hurt their reputation, and more importantly I have hurt my colleagues on the Qatar bid."

Al Majid originally said African Football Confederation president Issa Hayatou, Ivory Coast Fifa member Jacques Anomua and Nigeria's suspended exco official Amos Adamu were paid $1.5million to vote for Qatar.

The allegations were denied by all three men but were made public under parliamentary privilege when the Sunday Times submitted evidence from their investigation into Fifa to the select committee in May.

She was then invited to back up her claims in a meeting with Fifa president Sepp Blatter. But no meeting ever took place.

Al Majid also says she "tampered" with a Qatar 2022 bid strategy document which she then leaked to journalists.

She insists she was placed under no pressure or paid any money by Qatar 2022 to change her story. Officials on a new supreme committee for the World Cup, now overseeing preparations for the tournament, have told the BBC Al Majid first made contact with them on 5 June and that they didn't place her under any pressure or pay her to retract her story.

However, it must be stated that the BBC only interviewed Al Majid after being put in touch with her by Qatar bid officials, during research for a special report on the Qatar 2022 World Cup due to be broadcast on BBC 2's Newsnight on Monday.

Her decision to retract her story could be embarrassing for the select committee who last week published a report on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids in which the MPs accused Fifa of treating corruption allegations with an "approach bordering on contempt".http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14098944.stm

Well there is a surprise.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #30: Jul 11, 2011 10:50:40 am
      Well, it just confirms what we all knew all along, FIFA it totally corruption free and above board. Amen !
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #31: Jul 11, 2011 11:42:30 am
      There something amiss when that F***ing Muppet Blatter is still at the helm after decades of allegations against people he appoints and his unbelievable decisions.
      It's weird that when anyone objects or takes issue with his "judgements" the other Muppets in FIFA all get behind Blatter.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #32: Jul 11, 2011 12:10:11 pm
      Iy
      There something amiss when that F***ing Muppet Blatter is still at the helm after decades of allegations against people he appoints and his unbelievable decisions.
      It's weird that when anyone objects or takes issue with his "judgements" the other Muppets in FIFA all get behind Blatter.
      It's a monopoly based in a state that is not affiliated to any other. He is the key holder to all power and decisions. The world has a chance to de-thown him. They did not take it as they are all on the same boat. Money talks and they have a sh*t load of it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #33: Jul 11, 2011 12:54:34 pm
      They are obviously all on the make and lining each others pockets as you suggest, every time there is a suggestion of match fixing, bribery or corruption in any form some sacrificial posts are re-identified and nothing changes.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #34: Jul 18, 2011 10:29:41 pm
      I would say we had no chance here, but we did not go for the 2022 Cup, but the Aussies had no hope in hell.

Qatar 'spent big' to win 2022 World Cup
      .............But al Thawadi does admit that his country's bid budget was way more than the $43m (£27m at current exchange rates) previously reported. My guess is that it is closer to $100m (£63m). He spent $27m (£17m) alone on a mini prototype stadium with the air-cooling technology Qatar plans to roll out during the World Cup, while about the same again was spent on the bid's marketing and press budget.........
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2011/07/qatar_spent_big_to_win_2022_wo.html

Not all the article posted but follow the link if you wish. But look at the money spent!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #35: Jul 22, 2011 08:25:40 pm
      The BBC has obtained a document detailing claims that Jack Warner handed a senior Caribbean football official a locked case containing envelopes of cash to be distributed to members of the Caribbean Football Union at a special meeting promoting Mohamed Bin Hammam's Fifa presidential bid.

The allegation is contained in a report by the CFU general secretary Angenie Kanhai. The two page document, on CFU headed paper and dated 15 July 2011, was prepared for Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke but was to be sent via the CFU's executive committee.

It is understood this document has now been submitted to the ethics committee investigating claims that Bin Hammam tried to bribe members of the CFU with gifts of £40,000 each. Kanhai has travelled to Zurich, where the hearing is taking place, and, crucially, was expected to give evidence on Friday.

Warner, Bin Hammam and two CFU officials, Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester, refused to co-operate with Fifa's ethics committee investigation, carried out by former FBI director Louis Freeh.

So the apparent co-operation of such a senior figure at the top of the CFU - Warner was effectively Kanhai's boss - is a significant development.

In a series of bullet points, signed by Kanhai, a detailed account is given of what happened during the meeting of the CFU at the Hyatt Hotel, Trinidad on May 10-11. The document states:

"I was directed to coordinate the special meeting of the CFU by Mr Jack Warner, who was at that time, president of the CFU. Mr Warner initially requested the meeting be held by April 18, 2011, but the May date was ultimately agreed.

"The purpose of the special meeting was to provide Mr Bin Hammam with the opportunity to address the delegates from the CFU.

"On May 10, 2011, Mr Warner advised me that he had gifts, which were to be distributed to the delegates. Mr Warner did not tell me what the gifts were, but advised that they were to be distributed from the Hotel (sic) that afternoon. After consulting with my staff, Jason Sylvester and Debbie Minguell, I suggested to Mr Warner that the gifts be distributed between 3PM and 5PM that day.

"During the morning session on May 10, Mr Warner made an announcement to the attendees about picking up the abovementioned (sic) gift. I was told that I should come to his office to collect the gifts that were to be distributed.

"I arrived at Mr Warner's office at approximately 2.30PM on May 10 and collected a locked bag with the key in the front pocket.

"The bag contained 26 envelopes, these envelopes were unmarked and were folded and sealed. I did not see any envelopes opened and left Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester to distribute the envelopes.

"The next day I met Debbie and Jason for breakfast at the hotel and they advised me that the envelopes had contained cash."

The report goes on to say:

"In speaking with the representative from the Bahamas I was advised that he had returned the envelope. The representative from the Turks and Caicos returned the envelope to Ms Minguell on the morning of May 11 2011.

"After the meeting I was contacted by Mr Warner who asked that the bag and any remaining gifts be returned to him."

Although Bin Hammam, Minguell and Sylvester all face being banned from football following the ethics committee hearing, all the charges against Warner were dropped last month after he resigned from Fifa and his powerful positions in Caribbean football.

Witnesses from some of the 25 CFU associations offered money have stated that the idea of giving cash gifts originated with Warner. But despite giving up his football posts he has repeatedly denied direct involvement in the bribery plot.

In a statement dated 20 June, Warner said: "I am convinced that since my actions did not extend beyond facilitating the meeting that gave Mr Bin Hammam an opportunity to pursue his aborted bid for the Fifa presidency, I would be fully exonerated by any objective arbiter."

Kanhai's account of events in Trinidad suggests then that Warner was more implicated in the bribery scandal than he has previously admitted.

But while the report shows a clear chain of command between Warner and the officials who allegedly distributed the money, it does not prove a direct link between the cash and Bin Hammam.

Leaked details of Freeh's report into the affair concluded that although there is no smoking gun there is "convincing circumstantial evidence" that he was behind it.

When contacted by phone by the BBC this week, Kanhai refused to comment on the claims she had been handed the controversial case of money by Warner.

Kanhai did not return a number of calls immediately prior to the publication of this story while repeated requests for comment from Warner received no response.

The new evidence emerged as Fifa's ethics committee began hearing the case against Bin Hammam. Earlier in the day the 62-year-old Qatari, suspended from all football activity on May 29, released a statement appearing to concede defeat in his bid to clear his name.

"Despite the weakness of the case against me, I am not confident that the hearing will be conducted in the manner any of us would like," he said. "It seems likely that FIFA has made its decision weeks ago. So, none of us should be completely surprised if a guilty verdict is returned."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14256797.stm
      :tosser:
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #36: Jul 22, 2011 08:33:01 pm
      Oops. :roll:

Warner got out quick enough didn't he, saw what was coming.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #37: Jul 22, 2011 08:34:35 pm
      "In speaking with the representative from the Bahamas I was advised that he had returned the envelope. The representative from the Turks and Caicos returned the envelope to Ms Minguell on the morning of May 11 2011. "

Good on them for returning the envelope but having gone that far, they should have kicked up a stink and made it widely known that warner was handing out bribes.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #38: Jul 22, 2011 09:22:00 pm
      I can exclusively tell you that those envelopes were full of these...

*LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #39: Jul 23, 2011 07:46:53 pm
      Fifa bans Mohamed Bin Hammam for life over attempted bribery claims

Page last updated at 18:36 GMT, Saturday, 23 July 2011 19:36 UK
      E-mail this to a friendPrintable version Bin Hammam was suspended by Fifa on 29 May
      Former Fifa presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam has been banned from football for life after being found guilty of attempted bribery.

The governing body's ethics committee made the decision on Saturday after a two-day hearing.

Bin Hammam was accused of attempting to buy votes ahead of last month's Fifa presidential election.

The 62-year-old Qatari withdrew from the election, leaving Sepp Blatter to be re-elected unopposed.

The decision makes Bin Hammam the most senior figure to be banned by Fifa in its 107-year history.

The former head of the Asian Football Confederation is now unable to be involved "in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level for life", Fifa ethics committee deputy chairman Petrus Damaseb said on Saturday.

A spokesman for Bin Hammam's legal counsel said they rejected the committee's findings.

"He maintains his innocence," the spokesman said. "He will continue to fight his case through the legal routes that are open to him."

Continue reading the main story
      It seems likely that Fifa has already made its decision weeks ago
      Mohamed Bin Hammam
      Bin Hammam, along with former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner, was suspended after a leaked report revealed four Caribbean Football Union (CFU) associations were either offered money, or saw the offence occur, during a meeting in May.

It was alleged that cash-stuffed envelopes containing up to $40,000 (£25,000) were handed to the delegates during the meeting in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.

The report said there was "comprehensive, convincing and overwhelming" proof that bribes had been paid to officials to support Bin Hammam's campaign for the Fifa presidency, and that Warner had facilitated this.

Warner's resignation from Fifa last month meant he did not have to face the ethics committee.

Two further officials from the CFU, Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester, were each banned from football-related activity for a year for their involvement in the bribery attempt.

In a blog post on Friday, Bin Hammam raised fears that he would not recieve a fair trial at the hearing.

"It seems likely that Fifa has already made its decision weeks ago," he wrote.

"So none of us should be completely surprised if a guilty verdict is returned."

Before the hearing, Bin Hammam suggested he would be compelled to appeal if the committee found him guilty of the charges.

"Rest assured that justice will eventually prevail whether through the Fifa ethics committee, the Court of Arbitration for Sport or if necessary, through other courts or legal proceedings in courts where we will be equal and no special privileges will be granted to either party," he wrote.

The ethics committee has now asked Fifa's legal department to prepare cases against Caribbean football leaders who are suspected to have knowingly covered up the instances of Bin Hammam's bribery attempts.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #40: Jul 29, 2011 07:48:32 pm
      World Cup - FIFA may still review Qatar 2022 decision

Fri, 29 Jul 14:23:00 2011

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has refused to rule out the possibility of reviewing the decision to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup.

Blatter also said that a winter tournament in the small Middle East country was "a possibility."

Blatter was responding to question raised by Theo Zwanziger, the head of Germany's football federation, who called on FIFA to re-examine the award of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar following a corruption scandal.

Zwanziger told German television last month that: "there is a considerable degree of suspicion that one cannot simply sweep aside, and I must expect that awarding this World Cup under these conditions needs to be examined anew."

He also said there was a "cancerous tumour of bribery" at the governing body and warned that sponsors could start pulling out.

"We are not touching now the Qatar World Cup. But we are going step by step into the matters," said Blatter in response to Zwanziger's comments.

"If somewhere through this committee of solutions, they should say we have to look at that, then we will do that.

"It’s too easy to say we should re-open things. Zwanziger knows he has to first come to FIFA with the evidence. Sponsors have no influence. What they want is to be associated with FIFA."

In regards to the 2022 World Cup being held in January to avoid hot weather Blatter said: "A change is a possibility, but it’s not my decision. It has to come from the Qataris to ask to change something.

"For the time being, they haven’t done that."

EuroSport

They think they can buy anything and anyone and this 'cancerous tumor of bribery' should be cleared once for all.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #41: Aug 10, 2011 06:12:22 pm
      Austin banned by FIFA

Wed, 10 Aug 17:42:48 2011

Another senior football figure has been banned by FIFA in the fall-out of the bribery scandal.

Lisle Austin, from Barbados, has been banned for one year after he went to court in the Bahamas to try to force through his claim to succeed Jack Warner as president of the CONCACAF federation.

Austin was initially made acting president when Warner was suspended on bribery charges but was himself suspended by CONCACAF when he tried to sack Chuck Blazer, the organisation's general secretary and the man who blew the whistle on the cash gifts.

FIFA's statutes say officials should not go civil courts to settle disputes.

FIFA's disciplinary committee also ruled that Austin will remain banned until he withdraws the court case in the Bahamas, plus an independent one-year ban.

EuroSport

Quick Reply