Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. How many Goals will we Concede?

18 (17.3%)
      23 (22.1%)
      29 (27.9%)
      3 :roll:
      29 (27.9%)
      4 or more..
      5 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Liverpool FC 2:0 Valencia - Pre, Match & Post game thread.

Read 30446 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Valencia - Friendly 6th Aug KO: 17:30
      Reply #345: Aug 06, 2011 07:48:59 pm
       Pretty much the same what I thought after the first half. MOTM between Downing, Carroll and Agger but the last one will be my final decision. Some impressive moments during the game especially first 10-15 minutes that give me hope for the next Saturday or the next Saturdays to say it better. Another thing I saw after tonight's game was we desperately need a CB as Carra's almost past it.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #346: Aug 06, 2011 07:49:22 pm
      Decent enough game, we will only get better, really thought aquilani was miss used and the new lads will settle in. Also nice to see Lucas back. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #347: Aug 06, 2011 07:54:09 pm
      Adam MOTM, Downing, Carroll, Kelly awesome too. Mata very very quiet. Aquilani woeful beyond belief. Very good performance, hope Johnson was only a precaution. We need a CB&LB.
      BigSmooth
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #348: Aug 06, 2011 07:54:36 pm
      Great game, love a clean sheet.  I liked Robinsons play at LB. 
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #349: Aug 06, 2011 07:55:36 pm
      Poor use of Aquilani? No, he was just bad, bar one nice pass.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #350: Aug 06, 2011 07:55:58 pm
      Carroll looked menacing and sharp ,Aquilani I thought passed well and positioned himself well ,hope to god N'gog gets sold ! starting where he left off and was crap, Lucas gets better for me every time I see him, good to see Kelly back ,can't wait for Suarez to link up with Downing ...happy days ahead !
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #351: Aug 06, 2011 07:57:12 pm
      Pretty much the same what I thought after the first half. MOTM between Downing, Carroll and Agger but the last one will be my final decision. Some impressive moments during the game especially first 10-15 minutes that give me hope for the next Saturday or the next Saturdays to say it better. Another thing I saw after tonight's game was we desperately need a CB as Carra's almost past it.

Because that was so obvious.

Yeah right!
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #352: Aug 06, 2011 07:59:43 pm
      Without setting the World alight, a really sturdy performance against a top team.

Defensively we were rock solid bar a couple of hiccups, Kelly & Agger we're mountains. Caroll is looking as fit & as sharp as hes been since we've signed him, Downing is going to be massive for us, Henderson will have a big part to play as well, Adam and Aquilani were both pretty quiet, the latter growing in to the game more as it went on. Everyone else went about their jobs quiet but effectively. Lots of positives there today.

Good performance against a really good team that.

Feels strange being optimistic after a pre-season game for a change.. Christ! I think I actually like it!
      AlfarinIcebreaker
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #353: Aug 06, 2011 08:01:21 pm
      Good performance today. Made up for Carroll, two goals in two matches and looking good. Downing also had a great game, he will be a big player for us if he can keep this form. Aquilani was invisible, though.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #354: Aug 06, 2011 08:01:32 pm
      Jaysus how can anyone give Adam man of the match and then say Aquilani was sh*te, neither player stood out due to the number of long balls we hit in the first half.

Agree with the Carragher remarks as well, he is hitting long balls way to much now and he will be caught out for pace this season, we could defo do without someone like Cahill
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #355: Aug 06, 2011 08:04:56 pm
      Poor use of Aquilani? No, he was just bad, bar one nice pass.
      Fair enough, that's just your opinion. :)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,479 posts | 2862 
      Reply #356: Aug 06, 2011 08:07:13 pm

Seriously?

I thought Kelly, Agger, Aurelio, Downing and Carroll were far better.
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #357: Aug 06, 2011 08:09:18 pm
      Jaysus how can anyone give Adam man of the match and then say Aquilani was sh*te, neither player stood out due to the number of long balls we hit in the first half.

Agree with the Carragher remarks as well, he is hitting long balls way to much now and he will be caught out for pace this season, we could defo do without someone like Cahill

carra played well in general. The only issue i had with him like yourself was the constant hoofing. It's reaching epidemic proportions. It just isn't pretty. He gives it a good whack at times just for the sake of it. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #358: Aug 06, 2011 08:10:16 pm
      JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #359: Aug 06, 2011 08:11:31 pm
      Based on this, Sunderland lineup should be

Reina; Kelly, Carra, Agger, Fabio; Spearo, Lucas, Adam, Downing, Kuyt/Suarez (Please?); Carroll

Sound about right?
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #360: Aug 06, 2011 08:11:48 pm
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #361: Aug 06, 2011 08:12:10 pm
      Seriously?

I thought Kelly, Agger, Aurelio, Downing and Carroll were far better.

I agree...... and Lucas.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #362: Aug 06, 2011 08:12:17 pm
      He did burdog but when he is closed down now, he don't have the pace to get out of a situation and takes the easy option and just hoofs it. It just gives away possession cheaply
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #363: Aug 06, 2011 08:23:05 pm
      He did burdog but when he is closed down now, he don't have the pace to get out of a situation and takes the easy option and just hoofs it. It just gives away possession cheaply

Ohh I agree 100% Corbally. A player with more technique and athleticism and calmness under pressure would play 8/10 to another teamate where as Carra will lump 5 or 6/10 into no mans land.  Does my head in too.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #364: Aug 06, 2011 08:26:04 pm
      It will kill this season if Carragher plays, no way you can expect Carroll to do something with every ball lumped up to him. I actually think if Carragher is a regular this season we will have a big problem with him in possession
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #365: Aug 06, 2011 08:28:57 pm
      It will kill this season if Carragher plays, no way you can expect Carroll to do something with every ball lumped up to him. I actually think if Carragher is a regular this season we will have a big problem with him in possession

He CAN play it on the ground, and he needs to get into the habit of doing that if we are to have a good season.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #366: Aug 06, 2011 08:31:52 pm
      I haven't seen him do it in 2 seasons, his legs are gone and when he is closed down quickly he hoofs it every F***ing time, watch him in the next match. Of course stand off him and he can keep it short
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #367: Aug 06, 2011 08:32:57 pm
      Not a bad game in all, I think the fact that we kept a clean sheet in this game was the most important outcome.  Midfield still looks a mess but Downing looks like he has just earnt his first start next Saturday, he gives us the depth that we have needed on the left that has not been properly fulfilled by Maxi IMO (not saying that Maxi doesn't pull his weight in other areas though)  It will be interesting to see if there is any kind of spine to the team next season with all the new signings coming in jostling for a regular start, and the unfortunate Gerrard set back is a bit of a bummer too I just hope he can come back soon and create more of a normal atmosphere for the rest of the team. 

Aqualani' performance is worth a mention too, he has shown that he is gonna be a fighter while he's back and not a flop that has just returned waiting for a new team, the guy gets some pretty bad press which I think is a bit harsh considering he is a lot better than many current prem centre mids and with the competition for places, I'm sure we will see plenty of oppurtunities in the middle of the field.

Roll on Sunderland next week, it's gonna be EPIC!

6 days, 18 hours, 27 minutes  :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpoolwz0: :clap: :drinking: :champ:?

Quick Reply