Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM

Pepe Reina
      (0%)
      Stewart Downing
      (19.7%)
      Charlie Adam
      (19.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      (25%)
      Andy Carroll
      (1.3%)
      Jose Enrique
      (26.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (5.3%)
      Someone else
      (2.6%)

Liverpool 1-1 Sunderland: In-Game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 58695 times
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Sunderland: In-Game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #920: Aug 14, 2011 03:53:09 pm
      Arsenal and Chelsea both dropped points as well so it's not all bad  :)
      Yes these results do put things into perspective. The only teams that have started strongly this weekend are Bolton and Wolves. Theres no panic from me anyway. Performances will improve.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #921: Aug 14, 2011 03:57:18 pm
      Nobody is panicing, I think a lot of teams will struggle against Sunderland, but after the promise of the first half we should of won the game there's no doubt about that and people arguing that stats prove nothing is pathetic. The league table at the end of the day is a statistic, gonna argue that finishing outside the top 4 proves nothing? It's also not picking on the young members of the squad, I believe Henderson will develop into an excellent central midfielder, it's highlighting the problem with playing people out of position in his case and as for Flanagan it's on the back of massive praise I've given him in the past, if he can't take the rough with the smooth he has a problem and if you asked the lad himself he'd admit he had a shocker because it's the truth. Playing decent for one half doesn't constitute a reason to leave someone alone, if we did that with the entire team we'd of taken 3 points and been very happy with the performance so that is a completely flawed view in my eyes.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #922: Aug 14, 2011 04:15:12 pm
      Watching the goal we conceded again and wondering why there were three of our players with the two sunderland players near the corner flag.  Four other players were ahead of Flanno - leaving him isolated at the back stick.  I don't think the blame lies totally at Flanno's door.  We had 5 v 3 in the box.  I'd put it down to poor communication and poor marking - something that will now be worked on in training.

Speaking of knee-jerks, I had a text from someone saying John Henry should expect more from his investment in the team.  As I said before, I worry this forum will explode when we do lose a game and KD will be under pressure from some people if we don't win against Arsenal next week.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #923: Aug 14, 2011 04:57:51 pm
      I've read pretty much all of the last seven or eight pages and must say i'm disgusted at some of the posts i've read. Especially the character assassination  of Flanagan. I'm not going to react to anything until i've watched the game later on.

It must have been a really terrible performance from the lad considering he was awesome at the back end of last season. Is he not allowed a bad game?, he's a kid for F**k's sake and a very good player at that.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #924: Aug 14, 2011 04:59:54 pm
      I've read pretty much all of the last seven or eight pages and must say i'm disgusted at some of the posts i've read. Especially the character assassination  of Flanagan. I'm not going to react to anything until i've watched the game later on.

It must have been a really terrible performance from the lad considering he was awesome at the back end of last season. Is he not allowed a bad game?, he's a kid for F**k's sake and a very good player at that.

I've not read them all yet and he wasn't our worst performer, think that was Henderson, but I too am waiting to re-watch the game, before any more judgements.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #925: Aug 14, 2011 07:01:19 pm
      4th in the table after the first week of games..  ;D  ;)

Anyone would of thought we had been hammered reading some of this sh*te!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #926: Aug 14, 2011 07:06:35 pm
      Re-watching the second half at present.  Looks like some of our players would have struggled to pass water during that 45 minute spell. 
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #927: Aug 14, 2011 07:13:09 pm
      4th in the table after the first week of games..  ;D  ;)

Anyone would of thought we had been hammered reading some of this sh*te!

It is not sh*t, it is valid opinions, we don't need to be drawing home games to Sunderland, it angers me that we drew, we needed the best start possible to carry on the high spirits of the team and fans, yes there are 37 or so more games to go, does not mean it was disappointing and poor for us to draw, our second half display was dismal.

It is all good being positive, but the truth is we were poor in that second half, the lack of fitness was worrying, the first half was great, but one half will not win you games.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #928: Aug 14, 2011 07:30:42 pm
      Depressing watching this 2nd half, but a positive I will take away from it is, and this may just be me misinterpreting things, both Lucas & Adam made themselves free or created space for others with some good movement  with the added bonus that I swear I saw both of them admonish the back line for lumping the ball over them.

As I said, I may be misinterpreting, but that's what it looked like.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #929: Aug 14, 2011 07:47:33 pm
      It is not sh*t, it is valid opinions, we don't need to be drawing home games to Sunderland, it angers me that we drew, we needed the best start possible to carry on the high spirits of the team and fans, yes there are 37 or so more games to go, does not mean it was disappointing and poor for us to draw, our second half display was dismal.

It is all good being positive, but the truth is we were poor in that second half, the lack of fitness was worrying, the first half was great, but one half will not win you games.

By sh*te, I mean slating an 18 year old lad who has had his first bad game in a Liverpool shirt since his introduction to the team. We claim to be the best fans in the world, that type of criticism and negativity after one game, is in my opinion, worthy of being labelled talking sh*te.

No were did I say the performance was not disappointing, I whole heartedly agree. That second half was drab, compared to the first half were we played some great stuff. But Christ almighty, theres some people on here who seem to revel in negativity. Doom merchants coming on here, slagging off the young lads, criticizing the signings we've made, labeling Henderson as useless. Anticipation and excitement was rightly at some of the highest levels its been in years, but bloody hell, you would think we had just been mullered after reading some of the comments on here. Everyone has the right to be dissapointed, Kenny got a few things wrong yesterday as did the team, but the type of negativity and criticism being dished out by a minority around here towards certain players is not what I expect from Liverpool supporters. In my opinion, there has been some sh*te posted, if you don't agree with that, no worries.

God help us had we been beat though, think there would of been a few suicide notes knocking about.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #930: Aug 14, 2011 07:49:12 pm
      By sh*te, I mean slating an 18 year old lad who has had his first bad game in a Liverpool shirt since his introduction to the team. We claim to be the best fans in the world, that type of criticism and negativity after one game, is in my opinion, worthy of being labelled talking sh*te.

Fair do's, i took it a bit too personally, and i do agree with you on Flanagan, he does not deserve the slating his getting as a player, but i feel Kenny and the team do.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #931: Aug 14, 2011 07:51:09 pm
      how long does it take for proffessional footballers to get match fit. they have a preseason  and the first game played for 45minutes. looking at videos of training is a joke barely moving at 25% pace.just showing up for a soacil event. time to get these guys doing a strenous work out exercise bycyle for an hour,followed by 30 minutes in weight room, folllowed by running. after that poor display hope they show up against arsenal next week.   
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #932: Aug 14, 2011 07:59:25 pm
      the second half performance was like the hodgson days, we were poor and as reds we expect more.

kenny made two errors in my opinion. It was clear to me and obviously to many on here reading comments that adam became tired in the second half, his fitness wasn't up to scratch. When henderson came off, i actually would have taken Adam off and put henderson in the middle. He was poor on the right, hes a natural centre mid and he would have gave us a bit of energy there.

Completely baffled why he put raul left mid. I dont know what kenny thought raul would offer us playing there. Personally id have played him behind Andy with kuyt on the right and downing on the left, but kenny put downing more central.

kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #933: Aug 14, 2011 08:04:30 pm
      Thought we were very good in the 1st half but our inability to kill the game off came back to bite us on the arse!

Flanno was poor (his only bad game so far), Adam went missing for about 25mins in the 2nd half and couldn't understand the Meireles substitution.

On the plus side some of our movement and attacking play in the 1st half was excellent and Im getting more and more convinced that Downing will be an excellent signing.

Bring on the Gooners.............
      L4Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • @L4Red8
      Reply #934: Aug 14, 2011 08:43:36 pm
      Was happy with most of the 1st half and impressed at how our new signings clicked, we should have made the most of it when we were on top. The second half was disappointing, we stopped trying to play football, the ball was in the air far too much and a very stop start game. Hope to see more of what we saw in the first half.

Flanno had a bad game and should never have let Larrson pull away for the goal but he wasn't the only one at fault. What were the three over at the corner doing. I didn't see too much of Henderson to get me excited yesterday but I'm sure there's more to come. Downing especially and Adam did enough for me to be positive.   

Where are youse re-watching this? I usually watch the match again on LFCTV online but I can't seem to find the whole 90mins?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #935: Aug 14, 2011 08:44:44 pm
      Where are youse re-watching this? I usually watch the match again on LFCTV online but I can't seem to find the whole 90mins?

It replayed on .tv at 1800.
      L4Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • @L4Red8
      Reply #936: Aug 14, 2011 08:50:41 pm

Damn! I've missed it, thanks anyway. Must have stopped putting the full 90mins on the video bit then :( longest is 40mins.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #937: Aug 14, 2011 10:21:59 pm
      No one was happy with the 2nd half. Not Kenny, players or the supporters. However, i'm quite confident that the issues on the pitch will be sorted out. Yesterday we had a lot of players on the pitch that hardly knows each other, but this will be fixed at Melwood.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #938: Aug 15, 2011 01:37:44 am
      Missed the whole first half and only got to watch the second half.

Heard the first half was pretty good. Highlights of Suarez's goal, his penalty miss, Adam's and Downing's shots. Carroll's goal ruled out and maybe Richardson should of been sent off.

To be honest, I wasn't impressed in the second half. Seb Larsson did score a great equalier. I've always liked him! Adam was not too bad whereas Downing was pretty quiet in the second half. I was very, very impresed with Jose Enrique. Don't think the defence made much mistakes except for failing close the cross that led to Larsson's goal. Also, Flanno probably didn't see him creeping behind him. Not sure how Lucas played in the first half but he did misplace a few passes in the second half. Carroll also caused some problems with his heading abilities, a couple which went wide.

Disappointed we started a new season with only a home draw after all those high expectations but at least Chelsea and Arsenal also failed to win but they did play away.

Next up, Arsenal. With the uncertainties surrounding the club, I'd be disappointed if we don't win.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #939: Aug 15, 2011 01:38:53 am
      Missed the whole first half and only got to watch the second half.

Heard the first half was pretty good. Highlights of Suarez's goal, his penalty miss, Adam's and Downing's shots. Carroll's goal ruled out and maybe Richardson should of been sent off.

To be honest, I wasn't impressed in the second half. Seb Larsson did score a great equalier. I've always liked him! Adam was not too bad whereas Downing was pretty quiet in the second half. I was very, very impresed with Jose Enrique. Don't think the defence made much mistakes except for failing close the cross that led to Larsson's goal. Also, Flanno probably didn't see him creeping behind him. Not sure how Lucas played in the first half but he did misplace a few passes in the second half. Carroll also caused some problems with his heading abilities, a couple which went wide.

Disappointed we started a new season with only a home draw after all those high expectations but at least Chelsea and Arsenal also failed to win but they did play away.

Next up, Arsenal. With the uncertainties surrounding the club, I'd be disappointed if we don't win.

We were pretty good in the first half mate - some nice footy and created chances.

Tired badly and ran out of ideas in the 2nd.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #940: Aug 15, 2011 10:18:38 am
      The Arse drew. Chavs drew  and the Mancs took casualties .

Things could be much worse.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #941: Aug 15, 2011 10:55:54 am
      Of course it was a disappointing result, I was looking for a convincing 2-0 or 3-0 win, and you know what, it looked like it could well have been. The penalty, the cross bar, the (wrongly disallowed) carrol goal. I saw enough to encourage me for the new season.

It is the first game with several new faces in the team so I'm by no means fuming. I also noticed that with more youngsters and new faces around, the team looks hungrier.

If you're kelly, johnno, Miereles, Aquilani, Kuyt - you'd be disappointed not to start, but hopefully it'll just increase the hunger to earn regular starts.

Learn, move on and beat the next team. It's about time we beat Arse in their ground anyway.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #942: Aug 15, 2011 11:09:01 am
      Apologies that the MOTM poll is a bit late.

Add your vote at the top.

Quick Reply