Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

The referee appraisal thread

Read 23129 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: The referee appraisal thread
      Reply #184: Oct 02, 2011 12:19:59 pm

Yes he is.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #185: Oct 02, 2011 12:21:52 pm
      Mac_Red are you just a contrarian looking for an argument...? or are you a genuine pussy who wants to take tackling and contact out of football?

You want a honest answer ? I am a former football player who has ruined his career at the age of 17, after a reckless sliding tackle, that has split my knee in two ... Make of it what you like ...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #186: Oct 02, 2011 12:23:15 pm
      Rodwell wins the ball long before he touches Suarez. Nothing wrong with the challenge, it was a quality challenge in fact.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #187: Oct 02, 2011 12:26:01 pm
      I'm sorry to hear that.  But your experience doesn't make Rodwell's tackle reckless and it doesn't mean that tackling should be taken out of the game.

He hasn't gone flying through and then caught Suarez, he's come in with one foot, got the ball and stops making minor contact with Suarez. Not even a foul.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #188: Oct 02, 2011 12:27:43 pm
      I'm sorry to hear that.  But your experience doesn't make Rodwell's tackle reckless and it doesn't mean that tackling should be taken out of the game.

There is a reason why UEFA and FIFA are advising their referees to penalize sliding tackles ... These tackles are usually out of control, especially if the pitch is wet ... Honestly, I think that Rodwell's tackle on Suarez was worth a yellow card, but in a high-tension Merseyside Derby refereed by Martin Atkinson, every yellow card challenge is a borderline red card challenge, especially since the referee doesn't have the benefit of repetition ...
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #189: Oct 02, 2011 12:30:58 pm
      There is a reason why UEFA and FIFA are advising their referees to penalize sliding tackles ...

Because they are a bunch of fannies. ;)
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #190: Oct 02, 2011 12:36:41 pm

Well, they might be fannies, but they also want to protect talented players from agricultural tackles ... I am aware that in the tradition of English football, the tough tackling is a part of the game ... However, the game of football is changing, and it is really bad for business if the less talented agriculture defenders are allowed to seriously injure someone like Suarez ...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #191: Oct 02, 2011 12:37:14 pm

I thought the collective noun for fannies was a Growler of fannies TK but bunch will do.  ;D

The records show it was a sending off and we ate 'n' sh*t the bitters for three points. I can live with that lads and ladies.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #192: Oct 02, 2011 12:39:43 pm
      Well, they might be fannies, but they also want to protect talented players from agricultural tackles ... I am aware that in the tradition of English football, the tough tackling is a part of the game ... However, the game of football is changing, and it is really bad for business if the less talented agriculture defenders are allowed to seriously injure someone like Suarez ...

Yeah, lets just forget about defending, lets just allow players to waltz through and score beautiful goals.  Defending is part of the game.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #193: Oct 02, 2011 12:43:03 pm
      Yeah, lets just forget about defending, lets just allow players to waltz through and score beautiful goals.  Defending is part of the game.

True, but things that were allowed in defending 20-30 years ago, are no longer tolerated ... A single Suarez is worth a 1000 agriculture defenders in the modern game of football ... We might like it or not, but that is how the things stand at the moment ...
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #194: Oct 02, 2011 12:54:18 pm
      I don't know why all this fuss about a wrong decision by a referee , as if this was  the FIRST wrong decision given by a referee in the world of football
        Yes it was a wrong decision giving a straight red to rodwell ,there were other WRONG decisions in the game and they ALL went against LIVERPOOL, cahill tackle on adam, hibbert tackle and more.
       Have we all forgotten all the wrong decisions given against us ?
        We WON , I really don't care how,
       three points in the bag , that what matters  
        YNWA
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #195: Oct 02, 2011 03:12:10 pm
      To be honest the way I see it, it wasn't even a foul, it was a brilliant tackle by Jack Rodwell who won the ball a long time before his momentum took him into Suarez, I think 99% of people would agree with that.  The contact was minimal and if i was Suarez I'd be slghly embarassed that he went flying up in the air when he didn't really touch him.

Suarez himself made to much of it, and Lucas was also in the wrong for trying to get the lad sent off.  If it carries on like the way it is then football will be more or less a none contact sport in 5-6 years time which is really a shame.

Having said all that its probably jsut time to move on, its not our responsibility to worry about other teams, we have to concentrate on ourselves, I'm sure Everton wouldn't be giving it a second thought if it had been the other way round and as people have already said they're were worse tackles in the game from Hibbert and Ferlaini which probably even it out.

I do hope that the lad gets his red card overturned though.......
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #196: Oct 02, 2011 03:20:55 pm

Surely one of the reasons these players get paid ridiculous amounts of money to balance out the risk/reward ratio
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #197: Oct 02, 2011 03:21:10 pm
      Suarez himself made to much of it, and Lucas was also in the wrong for trying to get the lad sent off.  If it carries on like the way it is then football will be more or less a none contact sport in 5-6 years time which is really a shame.

Been happening for years, hardly gonna stop now, but don't like the point about Lucas, he wasn't trying to get anyone sent-off he was defending his teammate, something he does all the time, especially when you look at the reaction of that little c**t Cahill.

All in all it's was Atkinson's fault for reacting the way he did, free-kick at best, but he wanted to make his mark, but worse was the fact that a lot of worse challenges went unpunished because of Atkinson's original F**k-up.
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #198: Oct 02, 2011 03:24:17 pm
      Atkinsons a c**t, the only time I ever liked him is when he refereed the Chelski Scum game last season and didn't send off Luiz and gave a penalty to them at the end!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,471 posts | 2859 
      Reply #199: Oct 02, 2011 03:25:25 pm
      Not a red but definitely a foul.
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #200: Oct 02, 2011 03:31:13 pm

If that was a foul then football is in crisis
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #201: Oct 02, 2011 03:32:00 pm

How the F**k was it a foul? He won the ball fairly and caught Suarez afterwards. Very fair tackle.

The ref's decisions were in our favour, anybody who couldn't see that needs to take their red tinted specs off.

That wasn't even a foul, not a red. But we have been due a few decisions.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #202: Oct 02, 2011 03:43:40 pm
      Got the ball, shouldnt have got anything.

I can see why the ref did it though, everyone talking studs up but ref was 3 metres away and rodwell went in very hard from such a short distance away - watch it realtime without slowing it down, it looked pretty aggressive hence why i think he gave it but looked worse realtime than it actually was. (Suarez made a bit of a meal of it)

While i was watching the game iI didnt realise he'd won the ball so we were def lucky with the decision. Was a good tackle, the prem is renouned for fast paced football with last minute sliding interceptions, it what makes it better than any of the other leagues out there.

We have had our own run of bad luck, nice to see its starting to level out.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #203: Oct 02, 2011 04:01:57 pm
      If that was a foul then football is in crisis

Then football's in crisis - 'cause not only was a foul given but a red card was also shown. Them's the facts. That's what the record shows. It happens, for and against us, all the time and has done so since the sport started.

Personally I think it's a tad over dramatic to cry that the end is nigh because a human being made a mistake, in the heat of the moment and without slow-mo' hindsight but there you go... each to their own.

Lucas was protecting a team mate - good on him. Suarez jumped to stop Rodwell's momentum from bringing him down and hurting him proper. We stuffed the bitters. I'll take that.
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2011 04:08:12 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #204: Oct 02, 2011 07:58:13 pm
      How the f**k was it a foul? He won the ball fairly and caught Suarez afterwards. Very fair tackle.
      Rodwell has attacked the ball with open studs ...

Something like that never was, and never will be a fair tackle ... Of course, if we are discussing football here ...
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #205: Oct 02, 2011 08:16:34 pm
      From the laws of the game 2011/2012
      A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play.
      Serious foul play is a sending off offence.

So the question is was Suarez endangered? The referee thought he was and with studs up and moving he has a point. I can see why the referee gave a red given the laws of the game. It does look like sliding tackles are heading toward the history books.
      The problem in this match was the inconsistency with which the referee applied those laws.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #206: Oct 02, 2011 09:08:52 pm
      Rodwell has never pulled out of the challenge ...

Yes he did.

He's watching the ball all the way, wins it, then sees Suarez late, tries to stop and quickly plants his studs in the turf to stop and avoid hurting Luis as much as he can.

Reckless? Nowadays, yes.

Yellow card? For me, yes, you can't go charging in like that these days, it is dangerous.

Red? Not for me. No way.

Quick Reply