Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Getting carried away

Read 2971 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,302 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Getting carried away
      Sep 14, 2008 12:36:39 pm
      Yesterday was a great day to be a red especially as the win was in the end a comfortable one. However some of the posters on here would want to calm down. Im reading stuff like "the title is coming home" or "19 is here". It was the 4th game of the season people. There is lots of football to be played. We started this well last season before dropping silly points. Granted getting the united monkey off the back should give the lads extra belief that they can go all the way. But lets just enjoy that win and see how the lads progress from here instead of assuming that were already home and dry as champions 
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,198 posts | 1642 
      Re: Getting carried away
      Reply #1: Sep 14, 2008 12:40:28 pm
      Yesterday was a great day to be a red especially as the win was in the end a comfortable one. However some of the posters on here would want to calm down. Im reading stuff like "the title is coming home" or "19 is here". It was the 4th game of the season people. There is lots of football to be played. We started this well last season before dropping silly points. Granted getting the united monkey off the back should give the lads extra belief that they can go all the way. But lets just enjoy that win and see how the lads progress from here instead of assuming that were already home and dry as champions 
      As Rafa would say 'one game at a time, for sure'
      Good point mate, hopefully thought this result will give the lads the belief that they can compete with the best, and come out on top.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #2: Sep 14, 2008 01:24:26 pm
      Great result and performance yesterday. Yeah agree we must take this on and hopefully it will give the players a massive confidence boost. Titles are a long way off....lets concentrate on beating Stoke is it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3: Sep 14, 2008 01:35:54 pm

Good post Brian, but it's always the same whether we win or lose! :D A great victory like yesterday and we feel like we can win every game ahead of us, a defeat or disappointing draw, and many people are ready to call for Rafa's head!  ::)

I don't think too many of us are getting too carried away though, like you say it's just such a weight off everyone's shoulders that we've broken the series of bad results against one of our biggest rivals of all time! We can see the potential of the team - to beat them without our (arguably) two best players is a hell of an achievement! I think a large part of it comes from the poor form we had leading up to the game too, it was hard to see us challenging for the title when we were playing so badly - yesterday we played them off the park! :D

Anyway, let's bask in the glory a bit longer before to come back down to earth! ;)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4: Sep 14, 2008 01:46:39 pm
      Is it so wrong to bask in something so great and something we didnt achieve in donkeys years? I said 19 is coming home I know its after 4 rounds but I feel there is a different feel to it this time around. We won 2 games and played sh*te and now we outclassed United I have reason to be optimistic and positive about our title credentials this year around.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 14, 2008 02:20:12 pm
      I understand the win yesterday was understandably HUGE for all of us, and perhaps even a little surprising given our rather dour recent form coupled with the fact that it was Man U, but needless to say we came through gloriously.
      That said, Brian is spot on in his more down to earth, measured and cautious approach to the season. Beating the teams we have, and then getting the point at a difficult to go to Villa Park was a good start. The win against a team we would be lying if we said we hadn't developed something of a complex against was brilliant, but going forward there are still massive games to be played against Chelsea (6 points at stake), Arsenal (another six), Everton (six), and of course the reverse rubber (pardon the tennis analogy) against Man U. Then there are the 'strong and difficult' teams such as Portsmouth, Man City, and Aston Villa (at Anfield), who are all potential banana skins; I guess you start to get Brian's point about it been a VERY long season ahead.
      Don't get me wrong, the omens are good thus far, but a game at a time people, and if and it is a big if, we are still apace with the usual suspects come the business end of the championship, then we can start getting our hopes up, for now lets savor this win for what it is- a brilliant statement of intent that can do no end of good for our confidence and morale, but thank god Man U do not determine the path of the premiership, I hope we and all the other teams in it still have a say in that!     
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Sep 14, 2008 04:17:27 pm
      I don't think too many of us are getting too carried away though, like you say it's just such a weight off everyone's shoulders that we've broken the series of bad results against one of our biggest rivals of all time! We can see the potential of the team - to beat them without our (arguably) two best players is a hell of an achievement! I think a large part of it comes from the poor form we had leading up to the game too, it was hard to see us challenging for the title when we were playing so badly - yesterday we played them off the park! :D

Anyway, let's bask in the glory a bit longer before to come back down to earth! ;)

I agree with Ayrton here, I think we should be allowed to milk it for all it's worth, we played the current Premiership Champions and Champions League winners here yesterday and we beat them and it could have been more 2 as well.

I'm not foolish enough to think we are Champions elect, well not yet anyway, I've been watching football for to long to know how hard it is to win the League especially now, but to beat United is cause for celebration surely, especially with the way we've been playing.

I bet nobody would have given us a cat in hells chance of winning yesterday with the way we played against Sunderland, Boro and Villa, but we went out yesterday with a positive frame of mind, and a good attitude, and it paid off.

I want to see more of this as the season progresses, as I'm sure you all do to.

Let's enjoy out moment of glory, as long as we don't get too carried away  ;)
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #7: Sep 14, 2008 04:21:09 pm
      WERE GUNNA WIN EVERTHING
      ARGHHH IM GOING CRAZY WITH OPTOMISM

ah yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa aaahhhhhhhhhhhh
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #8: Sep 14, 2008 04:38:42 pm
      Didn't get carried away yesterday but i was carried upstairs, some one nicked the bones out my legs when i wasn't looking.
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #9: Sep 14, 2008 04:51:12 pm
      was a great win but lets be realistic ;D
      there a long way to go
      but things can only get better
      so lets hope there a better and everlasting winning streak to keeps up there at the top were we belong
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #10: Sep 14, 2008 05:13:33 pm
      I'm not getting carried away,but I've always said Rafa will win us the league and yesterday proved it to me.We've won the battle now we've got to win the war.Can I just say the crowd were brilliant yesterday,you could feel and see the passion from the fans.It was like a CL semi or final ,and you could see something special was going to happen.

And without our two star players it was just amazing. I'm still on cloud nine and am going stay there regardless oof what anyone says.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Sep 14, 2008 05:43:15 pm
      I'm still on cloud nine and am going stay there regardless oof what anyone says.

Quite right aw1  ;D

Didn't get carried away yesterday but I was carried upstairs, some one nicked the bones out my legs when I wasn't looking.

Were you that drunk Gareth  ;) he he  :laugh:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: Sep 14, 2008 05:45:53 pm
      Didn't get carried away yesterday but I was carried upstairs

:lmao:

I'm not getting carried away at all. All we done was beat the scum and got three points for it. Next game is just as important against Stoke. Obviously yesterday I was over the moon because it's always great to get one over your long standing rivals. And I'm still buzzing now. But there's a long way to go yet and it was only the mancs. We have to be fair to ourselves - they've had it coming for a while now at Anfield.

I'll only get carried away when they can't catch us.  ;)
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Sep 14, 2008 05:59:54 pm
      Oooooh, I definitely get carried away!! And I looove it!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,127 posts | 454 
      Reply #14: Sep 14, 2008 09:16:14 pm
      I've felt that in recent seasons when we have been ahead we have done very well, but haven't had the quality to come from behind and win games, we proved that at Middlesbrough and have proved that we can win late in games.  This for me has been one of the corners that we needed to turn the second has been to win the 6 pointers which again we finally managed.  The other problem which has frustrated me is that when we have hit a bad patched the time machine stops and the period elongates, hopefully, we can turn this corner too.  But hey all the optimism, but like Brian has said the season has just begun and we have to carry on wresting round these corners as and when they come for the remainding 90% of the season.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #15: Sep 14, 2008 09:50:35 pm
      True we cant get carried away. I think people may have seemed it because of the size of the occasion but we are all smart enough to know the premiership isnt won over 90 minutes.

I think the best thing about the man u game was that we erased the errors that normally haunt us. Its normally us dominating but not playing enough pass and move or not shutting down with enough urgency but yesterday we changed that and did things the right way. It was like everyone was in mascherano mode haha, but in all seriousness it was good to see us play with such heart, determination and character. It says alot about our team and the setup and substitutions say alot about our inentions in the premier league. We played very well and I hope this will be a turning point. Although we were winning our other games before playing badly I think we neeed a good performance that gave us a win to help us to continue playing well. Im all for the grinded out wins they are necessary to win the league but we all know you cant win the league on them alone and thats what made that victory all the more sweet.

Im not getting carried away but I am quietly confident. To be fair we havent got huge amounts of praise for the win but I am happy to be the 'dark horses' that everyone writes off from the start, before it bothered me but we are a better side than we get credit for and to be fair whats the point in letting other sides fans get to you when you know what your team can do and that it is alot more than others believe. Im confident in our team and our manager and I hope this win springs us onwards and upwards.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Sep 14, 2008 10:50:39 pm
      I'm not getting carried away about us being joint top and beating United but we have'nt beaten them in the league for such a long time and its not often we get to say we are joint top or top so I am just enjoying it while it's there and I hope it can last for the whole season.
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2008 10:53:54 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Sep 15, 2008 10:03:55 am
      I'm not getting carried away about us being joint top and beating United but we have'nt beaten them in the league for such a long time and its not often we get to say we are joint top or top so I am just enjoying it while it's there and I hope it can last for the whole season.
      I agree mate there is nothing wrong enjoying taking United apart and wiping the smirk off Fergusons face,I will also enjoy it just as much beating Marseille and Stoke.Come to think of it I enjoy it when we beat any tean.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #18: Sep 15, 2008 10:20:31 am
      Getting carried away is a totally different matter. I don't think our fans are getting carried away, just enjoying our lovely victory while we can!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #19: Sep 15, 2008 10:26:12 am
      As I've said in another thread, this victory over United hasn't changed my perceptions on the season. I still feel that we've got a fantastic chance to have a crack at the league. I know we always feel this way but we've got a better squad which seems to be clicking into place now. We have a decent winger now who actually looks like he can take a player on. Some of the crosses coming in from Riera looked alien, it's been that long since we seen a decent one!

And, beating them doesn't hurt our chances at all. As I've previously mentioned, last seasons 'gaping' 11 point gap between us and the Mancs would have been cut down to just 5 had we beat them last season. Christ, had we beat them at their place as well, we would have won the league! :D It helps us get 6 points on them and 3 points on everyone else so obviously we need to start doing this to Chelsea and Arsenal to ensure we stop them taking any further steps than us. This is one glaring difference this season.

The second is that we look to be winning games regardless, even when we're not playing well. This is something that we wouldn't have seen last season. We played our arses off against City last season, yet the final whistle saw us ruing a costly 0-0 draw. We had our day on Saturday against United and won. In the same fixture last season, we outplayed them for large spells of the game yet they grabbed a winner in the last minute. Similarly, we played shockingly bad against Sunderland yet still came out on top. Yes, we didn't perform against Villa at their place this season, but we still came away with a point. Hardly a catastrophic result, in anyone's book.

I'm not getting carried away. But I'm taking the positives that seem to be rearing their heads and I'm looking at them as an improvement. Not as something that we should have anyway, because we all know that success is not something we should take for granted.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #20: Sep 15, 2008 10:35:56 am
      Of course we can have a crack at the league, it's not impossible! Some say that we still need a couple more players but I disagree. I think our players need to realise that they are good enough and winning against Man Utd who are the European & English champions just goes to show what potential our team has.

If we can beat Man Utd like that then we can beat any team, now it's just all about keeping up the hard work to do so.

I won't get carried away though, it's a long season yet and many teams to come by.

Quick Reply