Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Prediction for the Bolton game?

Gerrin there! Win.
      (94.3%)
      Ho hum. A draw.
      (4.9%)
      Forum havoc. Defeat.
      (0.8%)

Liverpool vs Bolton. EPL Sat 27 Aug. KO 17:30 (Pre Match Thread)

Read 12595 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Liverpool vs Bolton. EPL Sat 27 Aug. KO 17:30 (Pre Match Thread)
      Aug 25, 2011 08:34:26 am
      Bolton had better be ready for a fight as I reckon we are on a roll and are a match for any team in the EPL.It is good to see the spirit that Kenny has instilled (not distilled) in the squad. Go the REDS and make us even prouder of our team.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2011 10:08:08 am by RedPuppy »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Re: Bolton Here we Come-We Are On A Roll
      Reply #1: Aug 25, 2011 08:43:21 am
      Their usual spoiling tactics will backfire on them and their lack of aggression will be their undoing.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #2: Aug 25, 2011 09:00:09 am
      Should be a good game - I beleive its on SS2 Saturday 5pm so happy days!

Want to see us play with hunger, passion and a desire to win! Bolton will be a tough game, we need to keep the ball on the deck and get out of this habit of belting it up to Carroll - this is one game where it really wont work! Adam needs to use the wings - not go for the killer ball all the time - but with Lucas behind him this will help him have a bit more time on the ball and give him an easy option. Yesterday Maxi did enough to again show he is a threat when on the pitch.

My team would line up

Pepe

Kelly       Carra      Agger      Enrique

Lucas

Maxi              Adam           Downing

Suarez            Carroll

Doni, Kuyt, Shelvey, Skrtle, Spearing, Sterling, Hendo
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Aug 25, 2011 09:20:27 am
      Should be a good game - I beleive its on SS2 Saturday 5pm so happy days!

Want to see us play with hunger, passion and a desire to win! Bolton will be a tough game, we need to keep the ball on the deck and get out of this habit of belting it up to Carroll - this is one game where it really wont work! Adam needs to use the wings - not go for the killer ball all the time - but with Lucas behind him this will help him have a bit more time on the ball and give him an easy option. Yesterday Maxi did enough to again show he is a threat when on the pitch.

My team would line up

Pepe

Kelly       Carra      Agger      Enrique

Lucas

Maxi              Adam           Downing

Suarez            Carroll

Doni, Kuyt, Shelvey, Skrtle, Spearing, Sterling, Hendo

I agree with you mate and it shows the depth of the squad this season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2011 09:53:20 am
      Just get that 3 points!!
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #5: Aug 25, 2011 09:57:51 am
      Can't wait for this
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #6: Aug 25, 2011 10:04:24 am
      Every game is a big game this year.

Expect:
      Pepe
      Kelly Skrtel Agger Enrique
      Lucas
      Kuyt    Adam   Downing
      Suarez   
            Carroll

Though I'd go with:
      Pepe
      Kelly Skrtel Agger Enrique
      Lucas
      Downing    Adam   Maxi
      Suarez   
            Carroll

I think the most important tactical change would be to equip Steve Clarke with a pellet gun, so that if anyone lumps the ball at Carroll, he can shoot then in the arse.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool vs Bolton. EPL Sat 27 Aug. KO 17:30 (Pre Match Thread)
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2011 11:04:46 am
      Bolton while not the one dimensional thugs of the Allerdyce years are still a physical in your face team, and we will have to compete for every ball. Which is why I think Kuyt will get the nod over Henderson or Maxi.

Reina

Kelly           Carra                  Agger           Enrique

Kuyt             Lucas          Adam          Downing

Suarez
                                 Carroll   

It wouldn't surprise me if Kenny threw an extra player in midfield for this one with Spearing coming in for Suarez (to the squeals of disappointment echoing around Anfield)  Would have been more likely but for Meireles injury.           
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #8: Aug 25, 2011 11:16:50 am
                     Reina
      Kelly   Carra     Agger     Enrique

Lucas
               Henderson    Adam
      Suarez       Carroll        Downing

Kuyt replaces Downing and Maxi replaces Carroll at the 65thmin while we're leading 2-0 ;)

Henderson needs to impose himself as the playmaker because our game is too obvious without a playmaker- on the wings and cross.

3-0 Suarez and 2 from Carroll
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #9: Aug 25, 2011 11:29:58 am
      Really looking forward to this. We need a big performance, just to ensure we get our first league win of the season at Anfield. Will be interesting to see what team KK pits out, especially after the game against Exeter. This would be my team:

Reina

Kelly, Carra, Agger, Skrtel

Kuyt, Adam, Lucas, Downing

Carroll, Suarez.

I probably wouldn't play Hendo as I think Kuyt deserves a starting place.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #10: Aug 25, 2011 12:15:44 pm
      Kop 208 for this one, looking forward to it, never been at the back of the Kop before!

Hoping Kuyt plays over Hendo, not been mega impressed with him in the first few games.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Aug 25, 2011 12:25:46 pm
                      Reina
      Kelly   Carra     Agger     Enrique
                  Lucas  Adam
                      Suarez    
         Downing    Kuyt       Maxi

I think with this team, we'll see a lot of interchanging and pass and move style.

Watching City vs Bolton last weekend, they struggled against City's fluid passing and interchanging, so maybe we should go for that route?

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #12: Aug 25, 2011 12:58:39 pm
      3 points and a clean sheet.

Prob 7 changes from last nights team - all the defence, spearing,raul  and hendoout - lucas, kuyt and Carroll in.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #13: Aug 25, 2011 01:07:05 pm
      Reina

Kelly          Carragher          Agger          Enrique

Lucas          Spearing

Rodriguez          Suarez          Downing

Kuyt

That's what I'd prefer. Can't see Carroll or Adam being left out though.
      arturs
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #14: Aug 25, 2011 03:02:47 pm
      I hope KK will let Maxi have a lil playing time, this guy has recently shown he has an eye for goal and he's such a waste just sitting there on the bench.

It'd be good if Kenny didn't start Caroll or Henderson for the first half. My line-up would be

Reina

Kelly          Skrtel          Agger          Enrique

Lucas          Spearing

Rodriguez       Adam        Downing

Suarez

Maybe if the game is going well for us going into the second half we can replace Maxi with Hendo and Adam with either Kuyt or Caroll, we would be switching to a simpler 4-4-2 there though
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #15: Aug 25, 2011 03:13:01 pm
      I'd like to see: 

Pepe
      Johno*  Carra  Agger  Enrique
                 Lucas  Adam
         Maxi      Suarez     Downing
                       Kuyt

I think we will see:

Pepe
       Kelly  Carra  Agger  Enrique
               Lucas  Adam
        Hendo   Suarez   Downing
                    Carrol

Both are very strong lineups, but I tend to prefer the fluid pass and move footie we play when Carrol is not on the pitch.  We tend to lump it long to the big man far too often for my liking.  Maxi is well suited to the pass an move style - him, Suarez, and Downing could switch positions fluidly and create all kinds of problems for Bolton's defense.  Kuyt has shown that he is very capable of leading the line on his own and bagging goals as a lone striker.  If we needed to chase the game late on, we could bring on Carrol for Adam and get another big target in/around the box. 

I hope Kenny is able to get the lads playing pass and move footie when Carrol is in the squad, because it would be such a waste of a talented and dangerous striker to be in a team that plays glorified long ball all the time....
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Aug 25, 2011 03:30:41 pm
      Both Bolton games were tough last season. If we have serious top 4 or league aspirations, we have to make Anfield a fortress. 3 points a necessity.

I think we will see:

Pepe
               Lucas  Adam
        Hendo   Suarez   Downing
                    Carroll

So do I.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Aug 25, 2011 03:37:33 pm
                          Reina

Kelly       Carra       Agger       Enrique

Lucas         Adam

Kuyt         Suarez         Downing

Carroll

That'll do me.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #18: Aug 25, 2011 05:25:08 pm
                          Reina

Kelly       Carra       Agger       Enrique

Lucas         Adam

Kuyt         Suarez         Downing

Carroll

That'll do me.
      I want this but I think Hendo will play instead of Kuyt.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #19: Aug 25, 2011 05:41:49 pm
      Let's keep building the momentum! 3 point please Redmen!

Pepe

Kuyt  Lucas Adam  Downing

Suarez  Carroll
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #20: Aug 25, 2011 06:49:37 pm
                               Reina

Kelly          Carra             Agger         Enrique

Lucas             Adam

Downing        Suarez          Maxi

Carroll

Hope Maxi starts, these are the kind of games he thrives in and he usually ends up scoring or creating some goals.

I'm going for a 3-0. Carroll, Maxi and Suarez to score.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #21: Aug 25, 2011 07:31:30 pm
      I would actually play Lucas and Spearing in midfield with Maxi and Downing on either side. Suarez and Carroll u front.
      Then later on bring in Henderson & Adam to dictate play once Bolton have been run ragged by Suarez & Downing.

Tough game expected, but we should win. My prediction is 2-1.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #22: Aug 25, 2011 10:30:24 pm
      Liverpool v Bolton - Tactical Preview

Liverpool welcome Bolton to Anfield this Saturday afternoon in what should be an exciting, fast-paced Premier League encounter.

It has proven difficult to predict Dalglish's line-ups this season, as he has chopped and changed his first-team to allow for injuries, lack of fitness and tactical tweaks. With only Raul Meireles, Steven Gerrard and Glen Johnson carrying injuries, though, it seems likely that Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll will start up front, with Downing likely to retain his place on the left, and either Jordan Henderson or (more likely) Dirk Kuyt taking the wide-right berth. Charlie Adam and Lucas Leiva seem to be the first choice midfield pairing, and the back-five will surely be the one which kept a clean sheet at The Emirates last weekend.

Bolton, meanwhile, have started with the same XI in both their Premier League games so far (a 4-0 win away at QPR, and a 2-3 defeat to Man City), and there is no reason to believe that they'll change. Owen Coyle did use new signing Sanli Tuncay up front in Bolton's Carling Cup victory over Macclesfield on Wednesday night, but Ivan Klasnic and Kevin Davies will surely resume their fruitful striking partnership, as the Wanderers have scored more goals than any team bar Man City in this fledgling Premier League season.

We will probably see Liverpool's fluid 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 take on Bolton's flatter, more robust 4-4-2:

This season, Luis Suarez has scored or created a goal on average every 30 minutes. He does seem to be pretty integral to Liverpool's play, whose attack stumbled somewhat in the closing 15 minutes against Sunderland after the Uruguayan had been substituted, and the Reds didn't break through Arsenal's makeshift defence until the introduction of Suarez with 20 minutes to go (although other factors, such as fitness, red cards and team strategy may have had something to do with this). Getting him regularly involved in Liverpool's attacking play, especially in dangerous positions, will be Dalglish's key aim and Coyle's key concern ahead of the match.

Liverpool do look well-placed to win the midfield battle though, which will be vital if they are to dominate this home game as they ought to. Bolton will be wary of the threat caused by leaving too much space between their midfield and defence, so Muamba and Reo-Coker might drop deep to congest the areas where Suarez could do most damage. However, this is where Charlie Adam's (and even Lucas Leiva's) excellent passing abilities come in handy, as Bolton will not want to afford Liverpool's central midfielders too much space with which to exert their influence on the game. Bolton's midfield will have to be extremely fit and tenacious to keep an eye on Suarez behind and Adam/Lucas in front.

As for the away side's attacking strategy: last season, Bolton averaged the fourth-lowest share of possession (46%) and the third-lowest pass-completion rate (67%) in the league. They also completed the fourth-highest number of long balls per game (73 on average, compared with Arsenal's 45). They remain, too, a strong, tall, physical team - last season they topped the tackling and fouling charts, with an average of 25  and 14 respectively per game. They were also the joint most successful at winning aerial duels (i.e. challenging for headers), along with Chelsea and Tottenham.

But, unlike the archetypal Bolton sides of old (those managed by Gary Megson and, yes, Sam Allardyce), Coyle's side has a great emphasis on assertive, positive defensive play, with pressing high up the pitch, rather than the passivity of sitting deep and narrow and waiting to win the ball back. They aren't entirely one-dimensional, and Coyle has received some deserved praise for introducing a more aesthetically pleasing brand of football to the Reebok.

But still Kevin Davies receives more passes-per-game than any other Bolton player (whereas for Liverpool this season it has been Charlie Adam), and with more elegant midfielders like Lee Chung-Yong and Stuart Holden out injured, Bolton's primary emphasis will be on functionality and directness. (For a more detailed discussion on Bolton's directness-or-otherwise, see @OmarChaudhuri's article: http://wp.me/p1j6Sz-7b).

Daniel Agger will have to put in a strong, competitive performance to deal with the number of long-balls to Davies, who is an excellent target-man; but fortunately the Dane has won 80% of his aerial duels so far this season, so he should be up to the task.

Paul Spearritt (http://bit.ly/ovQgM5- @PSpearro on Twitter) has also pointed out that Liverpool's forwards should look to close-down Gary Cahill, whose long-passing tends to be impressively accurate, so that the less technically-gifted Zat Knight will have the responsibility of playing the ball forward. Carroll's tackling and defensive work-rate is good, so this seems like a wise tactic for Dalglish to employ.

If you're nervous about the upcoming encounter, it's worth remembering that the Reds haven't lost at home to Bolton in nearly 60 years. Even Roy Hodgson managed to get 6 points from them last season. Provided Liverpool's defence fight a good aerial battle with Kevin Davies, and that they can get the ball to the feet of their creative players, they look set to record their first home win of the season.

http://www.lfconline.com/news/tmnw/liverpool_v_bolton__tactical_preview_697050/index.shtml

Quick Reply