Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Sorting and placing of our new squad members

Read 1986 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Sorting and placing of our new squad members
      Aug 25, 2011 07:48:17 pm
       Saw some comments on Andy how he is always scowling and was not really happy last night when he scored. I think there are some valid issues here where perhaps some player from outside England may find it an easier go when they first come here then some of our newer talent.

I am not stating or arguing the English/Foreign thing at all here...In fact I think we have a really nice mix now of both so let's not turn this thread into and us/them argument that being said:

Carroll like Henderson and Adam are in my opinion trying to hard.

Carroll - Torres
      Henderson  - Gerrard
      Adam - Alonso

In Hendo's case I mean the kid probably had a poster of Stevie G on the wall when he was growing up....big shoes to fill all the way around and I know they feel the heat, you can see it when they play that they understand the history and the legends of Anfield and they are trying to meet those expectations.

Instead of letting the game come to them...(ala Suarez, Raul, Maxi) they are forcing and overcompensating..best thing could happen to all three of them would be to let off the gas a bit and just relax. I think one of the reason a non-English youngster or new PL player from overseas might kick off a bit quicker is they did not grow up hearing as much about the legend of Liverpool and what it mean's. I almost think some of our new signings are a bit awestruck by the scope of it all, whereas somone like Luis has played in the World Cup...his National Team...Ajax or Raul in Portugal.

The only one of the newer English players that seems un-phased by everything is Downing...but remember he is older than Carroll and Hendo.

Of all the new players I think Hendo needs a little bench time, not because his play is so terrible but come If I had the stress this kid seems to have I would be dead of a coronary, he needs to sit and be told just breathe.

I think  all of our new players have talent, but just like with Lucas they are going to need our support, best wishes and time to slot into the side to a point where they are comfortable and letting the game come to them vs. flailing around trying to make an impression. We are asking a lot of guy's that just came in from other systems, (all smaller clubs) to come in and fill some big shoes on short notice. The starting XI hardly resembles last years. Maxi and Raul IMO are going to have to be given more playing time to so these new fella's can progress at a proper place, and no doubt Stevie's return will help a lot.

Not making excuses for them, not slaging them, It is going to take a bit more than a few matches for these guy's to come together as one...hell might take til next year I don't know. We have seem small glimpses of what it could be..I think we will continue to see more and more as time goes on, but honestly these guy's need to just take a deep breathe and exhale.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2011 10:29:32 pm by AZPatriot »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,684 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Issues with out new players
      Reply #1: Aug 25, 2011 07:54:47 pm
      Good constructive post but could you sort the spelling on the title
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Issues with out new players
      Reply #2: Aug 25, 2011 08:47:18 pm
      A good post AZ but long gone are the days when we would buy a player and throw him in the reserves for a season to learn the Liverpool way of playing.After being thrown in the reserves the new player would often come back to the first team in a totally different position and usually excell in that new position.In these days of huge transfer fees fans demand instant success and rightly so,there is no room for sentiment in this modern football game.cheers.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Sorting and placing of our new squad members
      Reply #3: Aug 25, 2011 10:32:51 pm
      Good constructive post but could you sort the spelling on the title

that work Racer? You know on this side of the pond we have difficulties expressing ourselves.
      A good post AZ but long gone are the days when we would buy a player and throw him in the reserves for a season to learn the Liverpool way of playing.After being thrown in the reserves the new player would often come back to the first team in a totally different position and usually excell in that new position.In these days of huge transfer fees fans demand instant success and rightly so,there is no room for sentiment in this modern football game.cheers.

Don't want to throw Carroll, Adam or Hendo in reserves just saying that I do agree with some on here that Maxi,Raul and Dirk need to be given quality minutes..it's good for them, the club and will give the newbies a bit of a chance to spread they're wings a bit.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2011 10:40:05 pm
      I think Racer just meant you had put "out " instead of "our" in the thread title :)

I think its always harder for players when its the first time they move clubs. Henderson and Carroll have been brought up at their respective clubs and coming to a new club is a huge change for them. Downing and Suarez have both already had experience of changing clubs, so its slightly easier for them. Being a little older and more experienced obviously helps too.

I just think they need patience. Let them find their feet, move out of the hotels etc get their own houses and generally get settled in both on and off the pitch.    
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #5: Aug 25, 2011 10:41:38 pm
      When does building confidence become too high expectations in a players mind that makes them try that little bit too hard?

It's a fine line, and I think that modern players with massive wages and prices tags can buy into it more easily than in years gone by.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #6: Aug 25, 2011 10:42:45 pm
      I think I've totally missed the point of the opening post so apologies in advance.

You highlighted Andy scowling even when he scored.  Maybe he thought he could have scored more if some of the crosses had been better.

I don't want players laughing and joking while they are playing. Full time of course (when we've won).  Carroll looks ruthless and perma-annoyed on the pitch - I'd rather that than that disinterested number 9 we had before him, wandering around the pitch looking like he wanted to be anywhere else.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2011 10:53:17 pm
      Fair point there JD.

Carroll looked really pumped up last night, and was AGAIN pissed off that it just kept getting lumped up to him - I also like the fact that he's not afraid to give his team mates a piece of his mind when he wants it on the deck.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8: Aug 25, 2011 10:55:48 pm
      I think I've totally missed the point of the opening post so apologies in advance.

You highlighted Andy scowling even when he scored.  Maybe he thought he could have scored more if some of the crosses had been better.

I don't want players laughing and joking while they are playing. Full time of course (when we've won).  Carroll looks ruthless and perma-annoyed on the pitch - I'd rather that than that disinterested number 9 we had before him, wandering around the pitch looking like he wanted to be anywhere else.

I agree with you JD...in fact I kind of like our striker to have the attitude of an Agger, a bit of an edge so to speak. That is the one thing I always have found funny with Ngog...he could miss a shot, fall down and he would still get up laughing and smiling. As for the title...feel free to revamp, had a difficult time coming up with a title for some reason.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #9: Aug 26, 2011 01:50:38 am
      I trust Kenny and how he is managing our players. Like he said Henderson wasn't picked up to sit on the bench. I think people are reacting too early and we'll see a great team settle with each other.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2011 04:26:25 am
      Interesting post.

I think Henderson, Adam and Carroll do indeed feel they have big boots to fill - Gerrard, Alonso and Torres but I trust Kenny to reassure them that they are not replacements of the former players.

They may be trying to hard to impress but better to try hard than to just wander around not putting effort and may affect them early in their Liverpool careers but as I said, I trust Kenny to know what to do with them.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #11: Aug 26, 2011 10:19:40 am
      I have previously posted about Carroll's body language.  One of the points I was trying to make was that he seems to let things get to him, and effect him on the pitch and as a striker it is important not to do this.  An example of what I mean is when Suarez missed the pen against Sunderland, he did not let it affect his game, but with Carroll that kind of thing seems to. 

Not having a go at him as I think he is working hard and must be a nightmare for defenders.  Someone should tell him that Luis if filling Torres' boots, and that he is the new N'Gog

Maybe he needs a Gary Lineker "have a word" moment (Italia '90) just to calm him down and help him move on quicker on the pitch.  Don't know if any of this makes sense but it does to me........
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #12: Aug 27, 2011 07:43:46 pm
      That's right fellas...just breathe and let the game come to you...

Quick Reply