Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

IP Spoofing, Techy Help.

Read 13008 times
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Re: IP Spoofing, Techy Help.
      Reply #115: Aug 29, 2011 01:57:57 pm
      I'll try that in a bit once spybot has finished.

change your router password as well, especially if it's wireless.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #116: Aug 29, 2011 01:58:26 pm
      It see's a crack as a threat, similar to a trojan.
      Just run the crack again -  it worked for me anyway.

I have reformatted since then mate, but it wouldn't even let me re-install the programs never mind the cracks. Even legal but unlicenced programes like VLC player and Virgin media's pc guard couldn't be re-installed. 

The cure was almost as bad as the infection :) 
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #117: Aug 29, 2011 02:00:43 pm
      I have reformatted since then mate, but it wouldn't even let me re-install the programs never mind the cracks. Even legal but unlicenced programes like VLC player and Virgin media's pc guard couldn't be re-installed.  

The cure was almost as bad as the infection :)  

;D, I have to say I didn't have the VLC issue - it's kind of a last resort to use though, but short of reformatting the whole thing is the best one I've seen.

You know how these things go though, probably used different versions
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #118: Aug 29, 2011 02:11:17 pm
      ;D, I have to say I didn't have the VLC issue - it's kind of a last resort to use though, but short of reformatting the whole thing is the best one I've seen.

You know how these things go though, probably used different versions

It was years ago when I used it, no doubt they will have improved it since. I agree its a good last resort though as I had tried everything else and nothing had worked till I tried that. I went on the Spybot forum and they guided me through using it, they didn't want to know when I mentioned afterwards that half my programs wouldn't work though.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #119: Aug 29, 2011 02:14:53 pm
      I'd suggest combo-fix for that - it's the only tool I know of that will root out everything except the worst rootkits, and if you had one of those you would know, because anti-virus wouldn't run.

Might want to get someone who knows what they are doing to run it for you if some infections need to be manually removed, but 99% would be fixed automatically.

Yeah, very good point actually mate. That's boss that Combo-Fix - I helped sort a colleagues laptop out with that, which had a nasty deep rootkit on it. Under the guidance of someone who knows their stuff though. I believe if used incorrectly, it can do nasty damage to essential program files, like you and Saint have already said.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #120: Aug 29, 2011 03:01:49 pm
      Yeah, very good point actually mate. That's boss that Combo-Fix - I helped sort a colleagues laptop out with that, which had a nasty deep rootkit on it. Under the guidance of someone who knows their stuff though. I believe if used incorrectly, it can do nasty damage to essential program files, like you and Saint have already said.

It's because it eliminates what it sees as suspect DLL files I think.

LFCexiled
      Reply #121: Aug 29, 2011 03:10:33 pm
      If I used Combo-Fix on mine I would be left with a machine with zero usable programs left. I already have to teach my AV about which Trojans to trust.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #122: Aug 30, 2011 12:16:48 am
      heuristic algorithms
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #123: Sep 08, 2011 03:41:41 am
      If you live in a heavy area its possible someone has cracked your network and is using your router.  But the issue remains why someone would crack your wifi and then create an account on this site.

If I was you I would get a new router and make sure its running with WPA-PSK and not WEP. WEP is way to easy to break. It can be hacked with free software and any android phone. If you get a new router you will also have a new MAC address and anyone who is in your system will need to crack WPA-PSK which is not easy. I would also install a Network monitor and sniffer, lets you know every device using your network.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #124: Sep 08, 2011 01:34:42 pm
      If you live in a heavy area its possible someone has cracked your network and is using your router.  But the issue remains why someone would crack your wifi and then create an account on this site.

If I was you I would get a new router and make sure its running with WPA-PSK and not WEP. WEP is way to easy to break. It can be hacked with free software and any android phone. If you get a new router you will also have a new MAC address and anyone who is in your system will need to crack WPA-PSK which is not easy. I would also install a Network monitor and sniffer, lets you know every device using your network.

Or just set the router to only recognise certain MAC addresses. Easy enough, as they can't be falsified.

For the record, a new router wouldn't give you a new MAC address - a new motherboard & Windows installation would.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #125: Sep 08, 2011 02:47:05 pm
      I still don't think I was hacked in that way, one question I would be keen to know is could another forum user get hold of my IP address through PM's, I know only my ip address shows on the boards on my posts and it will be the same for other users, but is there anyway of a user obtaining an ip address from a PM or the message that they recieve in the e-mail account that is registered to their account when a pm is sent.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #126: Sep 09, 2011 12:19:03 pm
      The answer to the above question is no.  IP addresses are not visible to other members either in posts or via PM's or PM's sent to email accounts.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #127: Sep 09, 2011 12:37:25 pm
      Cheers JD.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #128: Sep 09, 2011 01:02:35 pm
      First time in this thread and that was an intersting read....all above me but I enjoyed it none the less.

Bit of an easier question for the whizz kids on here.

My home PC connects from upstairs using a Belkin thingy that i plug in . I have 2 other thingys that I believe can be used that plug into the back of my computer that I used to have for a work computer that i havent got anymore but they connected to my box downstairs - is that the router?

I seem to get a lot of connection issues while i am using the internet and it takes an age for it to reconnect - is this the belkin thing and should i change to the other 2 plug in aeriels - if so how do i do that...??

does this even make sense...??

My connection isnt good and normally i get the lost connection sign 
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #129: Sep 12, 2011 01:18:00 am
      Well i've solved one problem with my laptop cutting out, it was over heating and cutting out, so I took it to bits and the fan and this metal thing that connects to it was really dusty, gave it a quick hoover and its been fine since, so looks like that was just a coincidence.

Quick Reply