Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Summer Transfer Window 2011 - how was it for you?

Read 14592 times
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: Summer Transfer Window 2011 - how was it for you?
      Reply #184: Sep 02, 2011 03:51:12 am
      We are moving towards the promised golden sky. After the s**tstorm, we finally saw the light. Yes, I do agree that some of the signings didn't fit into my Liverpool dream team, but who the f**k care as long as this set of players can operate and functional within the frame Kenny built.

Who even care about the net spending anyway? Did you ever dreamt of having 9 new players in just 8 months? Did you really think that this could happen if that two lying b**tches still here? Or do you still argue that this 9 new bloods are still falling short to what you're expecting?

This time ain't no sell-to-buy policy. They were just selling to trim. The first two lucky guys they sold made us 57 million richer and we got 2 players who is one just been recognized as the best South American Player in Copa while other is a towering young striker. Our performance continue to spark after the gloomy days. January was the begining of something exciting for us. Then now after we got 9 new faces (including that 7-iron welsh), getting rid of the not suitable players (I wouldn't say any reds players unwanted, they were just not suited to Kenny's style) plus selling the son to the father (Meireles), we are looking at the new Liverpool, though not illustrious but dangerous. Not a superstar team but the slender more agressive looking team. We are putting our money to players worthy and full of potential. No more table-lamp(Rafa's era) thing. Kenny wants it he gets it. But in order for us to be operating within budget some of the players have to be sold/released/loan. Did we sold first then buy? Sold for 30 million then was told we only got 2.5 million to spend? Sold the important ones to get another important ones? Every player is important but if he didn't fit into the system, so why should we keep him anymore? Players like Cole even chucking in 100K per week eventhough he's not getting enough playtime, what's the point keeping him and wasting millions of wages on him alone as we can get two players on a 50,000 per week? It's like a cancerous thing for us (not Cole though but his wage). It's like having a bad tooth problem. Eventhough it's f**king killing you but still you want to keep it because it will make you look good.

Like I said before everybody has their own view on this. Some might agree this was the most productive window for us and some might say we are not getting enough quality players on board. For me quality is when you give your very best and the fans acknowledge it and cheer you every step of the way. That's f**king quality. No point of spending fortunes on Messi but he couldn't even fit into our system (btw we still crap them out). It's the manager job to identify the players he deemed necessary to bring in that he thinks fits well into the style of play. He has been spending wisely, bringing in talents he considered worth splashing money for. It was rather logical than spending like crazy to know that you spend 100 millions on 9 strikers to find out 8 out of 9 were total s**te and go out spending another 60 million on another two which I thought was a f**king waste of money (not Tevez and Aguero though).
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #185: Sep 02, 2011 03:56:30 am
      Yanks a lot! Liverpool chief Comolli hails owners' financial backing in transfer window

Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli has praised owners Fenway Sports Group for their 'brave' approach to the transfer window.
      The Americans provided significant cash for the signings of Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam and Alexander Doni early in the summer.

They then supplemented those additions by bringing in Jose Enrique and Sebastian Coates over the last fortnight with the final business being completed with Craig Bellamy's on Wednesday, on a day when the club offloaded almost all of their remaining deadwood.
      In the two transfer windows since taking over the club last October FSG have sanctioned about £120million-worth of signings, although they have recouped well over half that from the sales of Fernando Torres, David Ngog, Ryan Babel and - late Wednesday night - Raul Meireles to Chelsea.
      Joe Cole and Christian Poulsen, both drains on the wage bill, were offloaded on deadline day to Lille (on loan) and Evian (permanently) respectively.
      And Comolli believes the way they operated in the window worked out almost perfectly, thanks to the backing he and manager Kenny Dalglish received from principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner.
      'It's difficult for me to put into words what they gave us throughout the summer,' said the Frenchman. 'Their support was absolutely tremendous, in the down times and in the up times.
      'When they needed to invest money we didn't think they'd have to, John and Tom were unbelievably helpful. I think we are very lucky to have these owners because people need to realise a lot of owners would have said the squad is too big so you need to reduce it, and then when you've done that bring some players in.

'But that was never the approach they had. They were happy to take risks, for us to spend the money, to support us and to trust us as well.
      'I told them in the summer we need to buy players first and towards the end of the window there would be a lot of movement with players going out.
      'They were very brave to accept that, having had no experience of a similar transfer window. From the outside it might be difficult to understand, but from my side their support was absolutely tremendous.'
      That approach contrasted sharply with 12 months ago when former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett were selling players like Javier Mascherano a week before the transfer window in order to meet interest payments on loans they had taken out.
      One of the smartest pieces of business could well turn out to be the re-acquisition of Bellamy on a free transfer. The 32-year-old returns to Anfield four years after leaving following one satisfactory but unspectacular season on the pitch.
      However, Comolli believes the Wales international's vast experience will be useful.

'We were short of an attacking player once David Ngog was transferred to Bolton,' he added on liverpoolfc.tv. 'Craig is someone we targeted a long time ago as you can imagine. He's not a discovery for anybody, we know the quality of the player.

'Both for Kenny and I it was a no-brainer. I think everyone knows how good a player he is. He has pace, he's a good finisher, he works hard and the timing of his runs is second to none.
      'His work-rate is really good and what we really liked is the fact he is so versatile. He can play wide, he can play up front, he can play off the target man, so he is an ideal complement to the squad we have built during the summer.'
      Despite interest from elsewhere Bellamy had eyes only for Liverpool when it became apparent City were prepared to come to an arrangement over the final year of his contract.
      'I've grown up with Kenny Dalglish, now to be signed by him is a massive honour,' said the Welshman.' This is an exciting time. The players they've signed this summer, a lot have been British which takes me back to when I started watching Liverpool.
      'To be part of it is such a huge honour. It's been a long couple of months, I had to be patient and believe something like this could happen.'
      Bellamy is now concentrating on winning silverware for the Reds and regaining their top-four status.

'We're not in Europe so it gives us a great opportunity to concentrate on the league,' he added. 'Cup competitions speak for themselves but this gives us the opportunity now to go week by week and really concentrate on our league position and get back into the Champions League.'

John Henry admits she was the one making him investing 35million on Carroll ;D!

OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #186: Sep 02, 2011 04:01:29 am
      Over the moon with this transfer window. ;D
      Glad to see we are buying/keeping players that want to be here.
      L4Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • @L4Red8
      Reply #187: Sep 02, 2011 04:34:01 am
      Very happy, especially at how our new players have settled in. I really did not think it would be possible to get rid of so many players who weren't required, very impressive. I'm trying not to get too excited but its kinda hard....

Hurry up 10th September!
      KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #188: Sep 02, 2011 07:30:15 am
                                                                 <-----  (Thats me being speechless) :)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #189: Sep 02, 2011 08:03:51 am
      Fantastic - we feel like us again. Everything focused on moving forward. I've no sentiment for the players that have gone - thank you for your efforts and on to the future. What we have left is balanced and exciting and I have a sneaky feeling Bellamy could prove to be a real stroke of genius.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #190: Sep 02, 2011 09:09:25 am
      MAJESTIC. (sorry about the capitals)  >:D xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #191: Sep 02, 2011 09:15:19 am
      Around £14m a year saved in wages? Amazing.  Still got to consider the pay-offs and I wonder how much that cost.  I wonder how much we saved in total, I guess we'll never know.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #192: Sep 02, 2011 09:44:55 am
      i'm very pleased. i'd still rather have kept miereles, but that's a side issue. difference i saw this summer was that there has been no panic buying.

kenny and comolli were clearly been doing their homework during second half of last season, identified their targets and pursued them early on. the main ones in hendo, adam, downing and doni came in very early, with enrique and coates coming in moderately early because first choice transfers failed. having a second choice striker as your only last minute buy is a good sign.

FSG have impressed again, so far the ideal owners. run the business properly, support the manager and don't get involved in the football :) what a difference a year makes. onwards and upwards.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #193: Sep 02, 2011 10:29:43 am
      We have put ourselves in a nice position. We now have good cover for our keeper. We have 4 solid centre halves. A quality looking left back. Options now on both flanks. 4 strikers to pick from who would do a job. If im honest Id be happier if we'd kept 1 from Aqua and Raul but if players dont want to be here were better rid.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #194: Sep 02, 2011 02:19:59 pm
      Wage bill 2009/10

Chelsea - £172.5m (League position: 1)
      Manchester City - 133.3m (League position: 5)
      Liverpool - £121.1m (League position: 7)
      Man United - £111.9m (League position: : 2)
      Arsenal - £107.9m (League position: 3)
      Spurs - £65m (League position: 4)

Hopefully our wagebill will now be more in line with our performance and league position.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #195: Sep 02, 2011 03:20:38 pm
      Why some people are so critical about the nett spending, I just don't understand, couldn't be bothered. Without looking at the figures, need to ask myself one question, are we better compare to 12 months back, definitely yes, that's all that matters, so why are we still moaning?  When  NESV first took over the club did they promise us the Messis and Agueros, no they didn't, so why are we unhappy now just because we've sold Meireles who thought he's too good for us (good riddance) and not got a replacement. Is cutting the recurring wages a wrong thing to do? No. Any production house will tell it's the right thing to do, we're no different. NESV saw that very very early and they did what they have to do, keep it lean and mean. They have allowed Kenny to change almost 1/2 the squad within a year and allowed Kenny to bring in new players that deems fit. Isn't that a point in the right direction? What else more we want from the owner? We are no bloody oil well that refuse dry up and go round splashing 30 mil for a player like a mad man. This is not what Kenny would consider, in his own famous words "to spend responsibly". Take those oil wells away from Citeh and Chelski with a more balance playing field, they'll struggle to get into the top 4. I believe Kenny would have brought in a couple more quality players if he could, but the price may not be right and he has to work within means. Who knows, the cash reserves may be there for future signings. If we signed all the players in this window what else we expect Mr. Comolli to do? Just joking.   We have to wind back the clock to the 70s and 80s, did we have superstars on the field, hardly any that I can remember. But all I can remember is, in every game we had 11 no nonsense players on the field and I for one wouldn't fancy playing against them, they had outran, out tackled and outscored many opposing teams. You play against LFC in extra time, you're asking for trouble. That's what, I believe, Kenny is trying to create here, equal responsibility on all players, no superstars but a group of hardworking, no-nonsense and never say die set of players. Kenny himself came from very successive regimes during his playing days and seen all that already and knows what he's doing here, I have full faith in him. He already knows how he wants the team to play, it's a matter of getting the righ players with the right attitude to fit into his plans, not necessary superstars. Just give him and Steve a bit of time to replicate the current team into those succesive teams of the 70s and 80s, we'll be there eventually. But don't expect us to win the league too soon when the damages (club as a whole) over the years will take time to repair.  I'm the least surprise if he signs a few more non-marquee players as he's more looking at quality players that fits into his red machine, that's the monster he's buiding together with Steve at the moment and it's taking shape already. I'm not surprised that we ended up higher than 4th this season as Chelsea is not particularly impressive with an aging set of players and they have been pretty lucky so far while Citeh is beatable if we tackle them hard enough and knock them off their rhythm while Arsenal has a bit of rebuilding work to do at the moment. Whiskey nose is no fool when he said we are back on the radar, he knows what he's talking about, his current team is a replicate of what we used to be before and he knows too well only one person that can outfight and outwit him. Am I happier compare to 12 months ago? Certainly so, can't find anything to moan at the moment and very happy with the summer transfer window.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #196: Sep 02, 2011 04:35:47 pm
      ^^^^^^^And breath^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^,
      ever heard of paragraphs mate?

The summer window has been f***in awesome, it could not have been better, 9 new players in and the deadwood all but gone, the difference from 12 months to ago is immense, then we had a squad of players with no real direction managed by a man with 35yrs experience of winning F**k all,we had no cohesion, no sense of togetherness, no team spirit, no realistic target but to finish in the top half of the league, playing defensive negative football that would bore the sh*t from ya, and were beaten at home by clubs we should have wiped the floor with, in the history of this fantastic institution it has to be one of the most depressing times we have had to endure(on the playing side).

But look at us now, 12 months on, a total transformation under KK, DC, FSG, we have strength in depth in quality mainly British players who are as hungry as a scabby dog, we're playing the most exciting football we have seen for years, the attacking options are frightening, our midfield is strong and powerful with the ability to destroy any defense in the league, our defensive 4 are solid with a mixture of experience and hungry youth, we have one of the the best keepers in world football, and the joker in the pack we have for me one of the top 5 players in the world(on his game) to come back, our captain Stevie G,

I'm salivating over the thought of Gerrard and Suarez linking up, with the passing ability of Adam picking out precision balls, Downing pulling defenses apart creating acres of space, Lucas sitting in front of the back 4 protecting them, and serving those around him starting yet another assault,

Its hard to not get carried away with all the excitement, we cant help it can we? this is the most exciting time for years for our club, we are on our way back to those glory days PPL, and KK is at the helm, a man whose passion for our club knows no bounds, in some ways i can see similarities in how Shanks effect must have been all those years ago,for some fans they will be witnessing a LFC that  possibly their grandfathers witnessed and can look forward to telling stories they were told by their forefathers, and how lucky are we elder posters who were there during the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's, how lucky would it be to witness all those unforgettable times again, i'm f***in lovin it, i need to go and lie down, i'm f***in hyper,

NURSE!!!
      AW00D
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #197: Sep 02, 2011 06:40:18 pm
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #198: Sep 02, 2011 06:46:21 pm
      Wish I didn't read that. People think we have the best fans in the world. Shameful
      LFCexiled
      Reply #199: Sep 02, 2011 06:56:21 pm
      Wish I didn't read that. People think we have the best fans in the world. Shameful

Don't worry about it, the comments on there are quite obviously not from LFC supporters. You might as well go to redcafe and become annoyed by their sh*te as it's probably the same shower posting in there.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #200: Sep 02, 2011 07:26:08 pm
      Kenny, with a poor squad, had us the second best results since January. Now he has his squad. Bring it f**king on. Even the United fans know Fergie is afraid of only one manager. Were coming for you b***ard. There will be nowhere to hide. There will be no mercy

Lovin' That       Racer.

17 million saved off the wage bill down to 13 million.

Only two of Woys and three of (fourteen) Rafa's last 24 month.

Ruthless.

We can do  nasty Fergie.
      There is no sentiment in taking you down.

That Rory fella is a craic.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #201: Sep 02, 2011 07:36:50 pm
      Don't worry about it, the comments on there are quite obviously not from LFC supporters. You might as well go to redcafe and become annoyed by their sh*te as it's probably the same shower posting in there.

Absolutely. First LFC forum i signed up on was the offal ones.

Never again. Bunch of piss-ant cu*ts most of them, a few good posters but mixed in amongst idiots who wouldn't probably know who Emlyn Hughes was.

Anyways, this transfer window for me was the most enjoyable in a long long time. The spectre of "will he go?" Torres is gone, and Gerrard aint going nowhere anymore, so the worry about that is a non-issue. The only player who is half-decent in Raul went, but no one is too torn up about that right? And then all our in-comings - each and every one of them brilliant buys in my book, now that i have seen them all play promising parts in games. Enrique is an absolute steal being that i can't think of a hell of a lot of good left-backs around at the moment, and he will be huge for us for a good few years providing he stays fit. The midfield pick ups all very good. Downing solving part of the wing issue which has plagued us for a long time, and him and Enrique seem to have found a bit of an understanding already. Adam - or is it Alonso? ;D He has been showing some great signs to me, obviously not perfect (and no, not as good as Alonso :D ) but i think he will prove very handy. Henderson is looking better with every game, and he has plenty of improvement years left - and will be learning from the best in Stevie and Kenny!

I'm excited to see what Coates can bring, aint seen much of him so can't really comment, but he looks a monster and at 20 - like Hendo - his best years are well ahead.

Finally, the deadline pickup of Bellamy was icing on the cake for me. If used right he is just brilliant, his spell at City was quality and he absolutely knows how to put the ball in the back of the net. Certainly a belter of a bench option. Our strikeforce looks kinda deep for the first time in a long time, and this is great.

Oh, and the deadwood basically all gone. F***ing brilliant.

All in all, a great first summer for FSG!

(Thanks to Abromavich as well, put a fair bit of cash into our coffers ;D )
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #202: Sep 02, 2011 08:55:23 pm
      Not too worried about the amount spent or not spent. Just glad we're moving in the right direction. Sorry to see Sotis go. Great character who gave it all even though he was nearing the end of his career. Made a few mistakes but also got us out the sh*t a few times. Love the fella. And Aqua again. Still not been able to prove if he has it or not, with us. As for the rest, glad to see the dead wood cleared out.
       As for the imports, Downings looking better than I gave him credit for. Still not sure about the consistency of Adam. Henderson still to be confirmed. Enrique looks the real deal and looks better than he did with the bar codes. Hope he keeps it up.  Coates, not seen a lot of him, but what I have seen he looks a beast of a defender. Hope he continues to impress me.
      Mereiles--- see Torres. Shallow, fickle money grabbing vigilante. Total Judas, and both will be again.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #203: Sep 02, 2011 11:54:10 pm
      Kenny, with a poor squad, had us the second best results since January. Now he has his squad. Bring it F***ing on. Even the United fans know Fergie is afraid of only one manager. Were coming for you b***ard. There will be nowhere to hide. There will be no mercy

This !! Ha ha love it.

Best Summer transfer for a good few years.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #204: Sep 03, 2011 12:17:52 am
      I'm not over enamoured with 1 or 2 buys, but I am not complaining either.

I think we did pretty good business.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #205: Sep 03, 2011 12:39:23 am
      I'm not over enamoured with 1 or 2 buys, but I am not complaining either.

I think we did pretty good business.

I'm the same with one. Doni, don't see the point whilst Jones is still here.
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #206: Sep 03, 2011 04:03:04 am
      I am very happy with the way things have gone this summer, the only question I have is whether Meireles was sold to balance the books or not. Selling one of our better attacking players to one of our rivals to me does not make any sense financial or footballing at all and I far from see him as being surplus to requirements. That is why people are questioning our net spend, the whole transfer was very cloke and dagger and I have a sneaking suspicion that it was agreed days before and it was nothing more than a PR stunt by Liverpools owners to keep it from the fans and to balance the net spending. Hate me for being skeptical but after the sh*t we have been through over the last couple of years I think alot of fans are being very naive in singinf FSGs praise when there net spend in the first year was very similar to the last 2 clowns who ran the club. The might do things behind clothes doors, but that just means they have learned from the lat 2 muppets, I am just asking people to not get carried away. On a positive note I think DC done a great job this summer.

Quick Reply