Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Money In Money Out

Read 3817 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Money In Money Out
      Sep 12, 2011 12:52:37 am
      I was sitting down today bored so started scribbling down the players that have come in and gone since Kenny took over with rough estimates in terms of figures.
      I came to the conclusion that once again compared to our rivals, our net spend is still much better than theirs.

Man United paid around £50million for their 3 summer signings. Man City spent another heap on Aguero, Nasri, Clichy...etc

Then I looked at us since Kenny has come in:
      Suarez 23m, Carroll 35m, Henderson 20m, Adam 7m, Doni FREE, Downing 20m, Enrique 6m, Coates 7m and Bellamy FREE.
      That all totted upto 117million.
      Then for the players that left:
      Torres 50m, Babel 5m, Krygiakos 1m, Poulsen 1m, Insua 1m, Jovanovic 1m, Ayala, Degen, ElZhar, Ngog 4m, Meireles 15m.
      That all adds upto around 80million.

Its basically only the Andy Carroll fee that separates us from balancing the books.

So fair play to Kenny and NESV for improving our squad significantly without raping the club financially!
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Money In Money Out
      Reply #1: Sep 12, 2011 12:54:26 am
      And reduced the wage bill. Incredible.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #2: Sep 12, 2011 12:58:24 am

The problem is that wage bill is directly proportionate to your chances of winning the league.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #3: Sep 12, 2011 12:59:45 am
      The problem is that wage bill is directly proportionate to your chances of winning the league.

Not if you are paying sh*t loads of money to sh*t players.

The quality of your squad is directly proportional to your chances of winning the league.
      We have added quality.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #4: Sep 12, 2011 01:01:34 am

Haven't you heard? Reducing the wage bill is the kind of proper business decisions that will kill this club. We should be paying Wayne Bridge to sit in our ressies and if we aren't then its a sure sign of H&G mk II.

Have been dead impressed with them all so far. Especially Comolli, something that was my only real concern about how it'd work. But Comolli too seems to be a properly shrewd appointment.

Well done FSG so far, time for Kenny, Steve and the rest to make it work on the pitch. Which I'm sure they'll do.
      Bosnian_Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 12, 2011 01:06:25 am
      I think that we didn't received any money from Poulsen Kyrgiakos or Jovanovic but anyway it's great business we did under Kenny :)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #6: Sep 12, 2011 01:08:22 am
      I think that we didn't received any money from Poulsen Kyrgiakos or Jovanovic but anyway it's great business we did under Kenny :)
      I'm sure we got something.

If not, getting them off the wage bill is good in itself!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #7: Sep 12, 2011 01:18:00 am

A net investment of £40 million is not enough to create a title challenging team, even though we've made some good business over the past 8 months ...
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #8: Sep 12, 2011 02:05:46 am
      Surely it isn't but that's how the first full season of a new manager and new owners usually pan out.

Need to get in the quality players (based on who KK feels are) and rid of the deadwood in the squad.

Maybe starting January onwards, we'd see more players coming in to strenghten the squad, rather than just replacing.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #9: Sep 12, 2011 02:12:07 am
      Surely it isn't but that's how the first full season of a new manager and new owners usually pan out.

Need to get in the quality players (based on who KK feels are) and rid of the deadwood in the squad.

Maybe starting January onwards, we'd see more players coming in to strenghten the squad, rather than just replacing.
      Doubt we spend until June.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #10: Sep 12, 2011 02:14:17 am
      A net investment of £40 million is not enough to create a title challenging team, even though we've made some good business over the past 8 months ...

Who says £40m isn't enough? Put it this way, if we average a net spend of £40m each season for the next five or six years we'll be exceptionally strong, especially if you couple that with our youth system.

£40m net spend isn't enough to turn us into title challengers in one season, but almost everyone at the club is talking about Top 4 being first so this £40m wasn't meant to!

If I'm not wrong Chelsea have averaged around a £40m net spend since their takeover and been consistently strong and challenging for honours. While its true they spent lots some summers and f**k all in others couldn't that be to blame for their ageing squad? Maybe an average net spend of somewhere near £40m spent gradually would have helped them.

£40m spend a summer, or close, every summer IS enough to build a title winning team... providing you are willing to let that team progress over time and not just do it in a summer.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #11: Sep 12, 2011 02:16:01 am
      It is enough to turn you into title challengers if you came 3rd say the season before.

But a net spend of £40m from 6th is a different story.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: Sep 12, 2011 06:40:41 am
      The wage bill has been proven to have a direct link to who win the league in all top leagues in Europe. Those who pay the most wages compete for the league that is a fact. Till we are matching the city utd and chelsea net spend it will be hard to compete. I think we really need these financial fair play rules to be enforced
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #13: Sep 12, 2011 06:56:12 am
      The wage bill has been proven to have a direct link to who win the league in all top leagues in Europe. Those who pay the most wages compete for the league that is a fact. Till we are matching the city utd and chelsea net spend it will be hard to compete. I think we really need these financial fair play rules to be enforced

I don't think the owners mind paying the wages of the top 3 but I'm sure that they would rather be paying £100k a week to a top player and not an ageing plYer like Cole or Jovanovic.

We ain't going to win the league this year, that's a step beyond where we are right now but top 4 is very likely if we continue like we have done.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Sep 12, 2011 07:05:02 am
      We wi have to pay wages similar to the top three who have no problem paying 200000 plus to big players
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #15: Sep 12, 2011 08:50:54 am
      Who says £40m isn't enough? Put it this way, if we average a net spend of £40m each season for the next five or six years we'll be exceptionally strong, especially if you couple that with our youth system.

£40m net spend isn't enough to turn us into title challengers in one season, but almost everyone at the club is talking about Top 4 being first so this £40m wasn't meant to!

If I'm not wrong Chelsea have averaged around a £40m net spend since their takeover and been consistently strong and challenging for honours. While its true they spent lots some summers and f**k all in others couldn't that be to blame for their ageing squad? Maybe an average net spend of somewhere near £40m spent gradually would have helped them.

£40m spend a summer, or close, every summer IS enough to build a title winning team... providing you are willing to let that team progress over time and not just do it in a summer.

That was exactly the point Mac_Red was making. 

Spending £40m each summer for six years is a net spend of £240m that is enough to build a title winning side.
      We wi have to pay wages similar to the top three who have no problem paying 200000 plus to big players

Yep. Unless we want to end up like Arsenal.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #16: Sep 12, 2011 12:35:33 pm
      But with the financial fair play rules, I think teams will have to stop paying 200k a week to players. Until we're back in the CL we will struggle matching wages as we can only spend what we earn.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #17: Sep 12, 2011 12:48:47 pm
      Depends how we are doing in January of course, but I tend to agree.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #18: Sep 12, 2011 07:11:59 pm
      Im quite confident if we are still in the mix come january and a world class player becomes available we will have the funds to make a move. The good news is Kenny is happy with the summer and so are we, well done to the owners for working fast to secure targets look at arsenal someone royally fu**ed up their summer.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #19: Sep 12, 2011 07:38:20 pm
      PGlynn where did you get the Sotis, Poulsen and Jovanovic fees from? Meireles wasn't 15m either, it was 12m. Your figures will be off.

It's excellent that we've cut the wage bill and so can start offering big (hopefully not Man City big...) wages to players who actually 'deserve' them.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #20: Sep 12, 2011 08:07:44 pm
      Im quite confident if we are still in the mix come january and a world class player becomes available we will have the funds to make a move.

Comolli on January transfers ...

"Clearly the squad has improved over recent months - but are there areas you are already targeting as needing further strengthening?

Not at the moment. We want to see how we're going to do. We are very, very pleased with what we've done during this window, and the previous one as well. For me it's like a big window from January until the 31st of August and in total we brought in nine players, we changed the team and changed the squad, so it's the time to reflect. To be honest with you I would really struggle to answer the question now and say we need something there or something there, because I think we have such a complete squad at the moment. Let's see how those players develop, how they gel together, how the young players like Sebastian Coates adapts, and then we can make a decision later."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/comolli-answers-transfer-questions
      Red America
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #21: Sep 12, 2011 08:20:45 pm

Might be reading too much into it but I took the whole last minute Meireles transfer as a way to dump some $$ in preparation for January to have some extra cash on hand. I also think if we are hovering around 4th with a 5th or 6th place team on our heels then its pretty likely we'll go out and get someone (or 2) in the Jan. transfer window to help finish the season.

Not to mention, Arsenal has a war chest from Fabregas and Nasri that they didn't get to spend much of before the end of the summer window. I know we're talking about tight pocket Wenger here, but if his job is on the line, I bet he'll have no problem throwing some cash around too.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #22: Sep 12, 2011 09:07:21 pm
      Might be reading too much into it but I took the whole last minute Meireles transfer as a way to dump some $$ in preparation for January to have some extra cash on hand.

Or alternatively, and much more realistic, we needed to balance the books ...

Quick Reply