Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Who's the pick of the new boys?

Read 14640 times
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Re: Who's the pick of the new boys?
      Reply #23: Sep 14, 2011 05:19:27 pm
      Enrique looks real class and could easily push on for a place in the Spanish national team, but for me its Downing. He gets you on the edge of your seat a lot of the time when he gets on the ball and is a really exciting player to watch.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #24: Sep 14, 2011 05:23:24 pm
      Of course he has discussions with Kenny and the staff ... Ultimately, he is the one making the decisions on new signings ...

How do you know this inside information, might I ask? and don't talk about the bloody aggregator :)
      Liv-Love
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #25: Sep 14, 2011 05:24:11 pm
      1. Enrique
          Somehow, it surprisingly seems not his first season with us!

2. Downing
          Not really surprised, but his work rate & consistency are great.

3. Coates
          I expect a lot..I mean A LOT..from him.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #26: Sep 14, 2011 05:24:18 pm
      Of course he has discussions with Kenny and the staff ... Ultimately, he is the one making the decisions on new signings ...

Are you an insider at the club or something? Appreciate some of your findings but you sound as if you are actually at Melwood when meetings are taken place!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #27: Sep 14, 2011 05:37:13 pm

From the interview on LFCtv the other day it didn't sound like that.

Damien made a comment about the manager should always have the final say!
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #28: Sep 14, 2011 06:11:11 pm
      Back on topic. I have been very impressed with Enrique and Downing with the latter getting the nudge for me. Henderson has shown brief flashes as has Charlie Adam.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Sep 14, 2011 06:13:20 pm
      To be honest, I was speaking more from Comolli's point of view ...

After all, he is the one making all these signings, not Kenny ...

And you don't think Kenny had a hand in selecting any of these signings ?

Put down your pipe and step away from the crack cocaine. ;)

Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #30: Sep 14, 2011 06:13:20 pm
      How do you know this inside information, might I ask?

Well, it is not exactly some confidential information ... Comolli hast talked about it at the official site, couple of days ago ...

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/comolli-answers-your-questions
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #31: Sep 14, 2011 06:13:20 pm
      From the interview on LFCtv the other day it didn't sound like that.

Damien made a comment about the manager should always have the final say!

Read the full context of that interview, and you will see that he actually says something completely different ... He is just being respectful towards Kenny ...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #32: Sep 14, 2011 06:21:21 pm
      Much to early for this topic, sure we havent even seen Coates yet
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33: Sep 14, 2011 06:23:29 pm
      Sounds to me like Kenny has the final say

Kenny can say 'I like him', 'I don't like him', 'he can fit into my team', 'he can't fit into my team', 'he's what we need', 'he's not what we need', and then once the football decision has been made I will explain to the owners why we want to go after this player and what the financial consequences are.

A massive input because if there is a player Kenny isn't comfortable with then we'll never sign him. He's the one at the end who has to say 'I'm really comfortable with this player' and 'I like your recommendation' or 'I don't like your recommendation'. The input from Kenny is massive, probably the most important.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #34: Sep 14, 2011 09:21:56 pm
      Sounds to me like Kenny has the final say

Not really ... Kenny and his staff obviously have the final say on the footballing aspects of any possible new signing, but the most important part (the financial aspects - transfer fee and wages) are obviously in the hands of Comolli ...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #35: Sep 14, 2011 09:39:57 pm
      Not really ... Kenny and his staff obviously have the final say on the footballing aspects of any possible new signing, but the most important part (the financial aspects - transfer fee and wages) are obviously in the hands of Comolli ...

No too  sure about that either mate

and then once the football decision has been made I will explain to the owners why we want to go after this player and what the financial consequences are.

Maybe it's just a polite "this is what we are going to do", or possibly it's "we would like to spend x amount on this player, is that ok ?"  

I think our new owners are a little more hands on than was previously the case both under H&G and Moores. Obviously I am guessing as I have no inside info.  

My view would be Kenny decides which/if the player is the right one for us from Comolli's recommendations, Comolli negotiates and closes the deal after clearing it with the owners.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #36: Sep 14, 2011 09:50:13 pm
      This topic isn't about who has the final say on signings. I feel some people just take delight in steering topics away from the subject to massage their own ego, as all I ever seem to say these days is something about off-topicness. And I'm doing my own head in now.

SACK IT OFF!

Enrique is definitely my pick of the new boys so far. Cool as you like when under pressure. Knows how to defend and attack. But always does his job first and foremost. Seems like he's been in the team for donkeys.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #37: Sep 14, 2011 09:59:00 pm

;D

It's been worth reading through just for that Kenny!

I have missed most of the start of the season due to work and holiday but Enrique for me has been the pick as he looks like he has been playing for us for years and been a while since we have had someone so solid at the back but still gives options going forward at LB.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #38: Sep 15, 2011 03:59:30 am
      Jose Enrique for me has been fantastic, an ambitious character that should fix what has been a nasty hole in our team. Seems to be thrilled with the red shirt. I like Henderson and would probably have him start over Adam if Gerrard is playing. Charlie is a good player for mine but I'm not sure what he'll give us long term yet. Downing's style is exquisite and when he gels with our attackers he is sure to impress.

I think what Mac Red is saying is that DC is doing his job. He's been hired to do that job and it's his job to go find the talent and present it to Kenny. Of course Kenny can say "go scout X" "I like Y" "I want Z for left wing" but it is also literally DC's job to find players for us!
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #39: Sep 15, 2011 09:18:25 am
      Enrique for me has been Kenny's best buy this summer. Along with Suarez, these the two most important and influential buyings Kenny has made and a shrewd business it were for Kenny.

Enrique has the quality that we're lacking from a LB. Rood reading on the ball, good shielding, great recovery and he's a tough nut to crack. Suarez as always continues to be the phenom we already know. Guardiola admires him, Manc Scum scared of him.

But to be honest, every manager entitle to a bad buy, but still it's early to separate the bad from the good. Every player that Kenny has brought in has the potential to be a great player (bar Bellamy), it's only time and themselves will tell how good they want to be. 
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #40: Sep 15, 2011 12:01:45 pm
      For me it's Enrique.

He's just fitted into the team so easily, and he hasn't put a foot wrong. I'm still amazed at the price we got him for.

Although Downing is looking brilliant aswell, and Adam has been better than what I'd have expected. Plus I rate Henderson highly, and I think he's going to settle into the team nicely soon.

But although I'm a fan of all the new boys that I've seen play, I think Enrique has been the best so far. Still early days though, so don't write Henderson, Adam etc. off just yet.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #41: Sep 15, 2011 12:14:08 pm
      Enqrique, I have to say I am a little underwhelmed with Henderson and Adam.
      I like Downing though.
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #42: Sep 15, 2011 04:26:04 pm
      Charlie adam not f**king Adams !!

Calm down mate, it's not the end of the world! Anyway, without doubt it's Enrique. Slotted right in, I hear Barca calling already >:(
      Downing has also done well. I don't see Adam as anything more than a benchwarmer, Henderson has looked poor & out of his depth. Coates will come good I am confident of that. As for the Jan signings well Suarez is awesome & again I can see clubs sniffing around him if he carries on. Lets not say much about Carroll as if you cant say nothing nice dont say nothing  :f_steam:
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #43: Sep 15, 2011 04:30:42 pm
      Been happy with all of them.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #44: Sep 15, 2011 04:43:56 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #45: Sep 15, 2011 05:01:56 pm
      I'm gonna give a small assessment of the new players so far and compare them to our ones from last season.

Enrique and Downing  has impressive the most out of the new signings and I'm sure Bellamy will, but the others haven't really impressed me so far.

Is Downing much of an improvement from Maxi? I don't think there's much difference, Downing has better pace and crossing and more suited in 4-4-2, but his movement and passing is not as good as Maxi's if we were to play 4-2-1-3 imo... however, he is a vast improvement to Kuyt on the right.

Henderson an improvement from Kuyt, Aquilani, Maxi or Meireles?  Not for me. Henderson is too negative in his passing, weak defensively and decision making is very poor. However, Henderson has a better cross than all 4.

Adam an improvement from Spearing, Meireles or Aquilani?  Spearing played exceptionally well towards the latter stages of the season when Dalglish took over and should've carried on from there, so.. I would say no, Spearing is slightly better with his defensive attributes, speed and decisive short passing. Adam is definitely not an improvement to Meireles and Aquilani.

Quick Reply