Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Who Gets Benched When Gerrard Comes Back - And Where Will Stevie Play?

Read 15730 times
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Re: Who Gets Benched When Gerrard Comes Back - And Where Will Stevie Play?
      Reply #23: Sep 14, 2011 09:21:56 pm

Since we are playing the 4-4-1-1 formation under Kenny, it will be Adam who will lose his starting spot ... Gerrard is our best central midfielder in the 4-4-1-1, and that was the reason we've sold/loaned Meireles and Aquilani ...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #24: Sep 14, 2011 09:27:25 pm
      Adam and Anderson will rotate the bench warming duties.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #25: Sep 14, 2011 09:28:02 pm
      If we beat Spurs away without him, who says he goes straight in the team?

Kenny should tell Adam and Henderson before the game - whichever you plays the worst today gets dropped for Gerrard - good luck trying to get back in the side.

Should work.

kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #26: Sep 14, 2011 09:30:59 pm
      Adam and Anderson will rotate the bench warming duties.

?
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #27: Sep 14, 2011 09:34:48 pm
      For f*ck sake know the name of your team's players...

I personally feel that Gerrard needs to earn his place in the team just the same as any other player would... If he's the best in his position during weekly training, have him in the team, if not, tough. A good problem to have.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #28: Sep 14, 2011 09:57:26 pm
      I personally feel that Gerrard needs to earn his place in the team just the same as any other player would... If he's the best in his position during weekly training, have him in the team, if not, tough. A good problem to have.

Entirely agree. And with him being out for some time, it's double warranted.

Agree with those saying it's Adam who will lose his speck though. I think he'll slot him in there with Lucas.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #29: Sep 14, 2011 09:57:38 pm
      If we beat Spurs away without him, who says he goes straight in the team?

Kenny should tell Adam and Henderson before the game - whichever you plays the worst today gets dropped for Gerrard - good luck trying to get back in the side.

Should work.

;D, I like this.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #30: Sep 14, 2011 10:15:23 pm
      I personally feel that Gerrard needs to earn his place in the team just the same as any other player would...

Sorry, but that completely off target ... Gerrard is not only our best player, he is also the natural leader of the team ... He might need some time to get full match fitness, and he won't get that by sitting on the bench ... If fully fit, Gerrard goes straight into the team ...
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #31: Sep 14, 2011 10:47:51 pm
      Sorry, but that completely off target ... Gerrard is not only our best player, he is also the natural leader of the team ... He might need some time to get full match fitness, and he won't get that by sitting on the bench ... If fully fit, Gerrard goes straight into the team ...

Suarez is our best player.

Gerrard will be rotated and I think Henderson will be sacrificed when everyone is fit.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #32: Sep 14, 2011 11:01:22 pm
      Good thread mate :)

I think we will see Stevie playing where he has the last few seasons.... as an attacking midfielder playing in the hole.

Lucas       Adam

Suarez         Gerrard        Downing

Carroll

With Downing playing wide coming in off the wing, while Suarez plays narrow, moving wider on occasion. Gerrard just being Gerrard helping the midfield and the attack.  

Woah !

That looks good S@int.

...and Gerrard can go wide if Suarez comes in  ....... Stevie fizzing in an exocet or two.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #33: Sep 14, 2011 11:07:57 pm
      Suarez is our best player.

Gerrard will be rotated

Wrong on both accounts ...

I must admit that I can never understand this desire to dismiss one of the best players in the history of our great club ...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #34: Sep 15, 2011 12:29:12 am
      Think Gerrard will be on the bench and be introduced if things aint going our way. That will be for whoever is haveing the least impact against the spuds. If we're doing alright, he will probably get the last 15 to up his match fitness. Longer spells with each game for whoever looks the least effective. Can't wait to see him link up with Suarez. They must be doing it in training, and I think it could be as good as Gerrard/Torres was before Torres lost the plot. No denying, that was a frightening partnership before Torres went into decline.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #35: Sep 15, 2011 01:10:43 am
      Wrong on both accounts ...

I must admit that I can never understand this desire to dismiss one of the best players in the history of our great club ...

Gerrard is not the same player he once was.Yes he still our captain,still our heart and soul of the team,still the influencial captain he always has been.

But Luis Suarez is on another Level at the moment he scares every defender,doesn't stop moving,and doesn't stop scoring has been relatively injury free.

Onto the Question i think Adam will be dropped,He cant play alongside Lucas in that diamond formation the way some people have put him in.As you saw against Stoke he struggles big time when he gets closed down he needs time on the ball,The thing about Henderson and Lucas as a pairing is the fact both players rarely give the ball away and it allows us to control the tempo and the pace,have the other team chasing.

I like Adam alot but as good as his passing is he needs more time to pick a pass,and try's alot of killer balls which is a job for a playmaker not a CM.Gerrard and Adam will be fighting for that place and no way is it a given that Gerrard will cement it

Lucas  Henderson

Suarez             Gerrard          Downing

Bellamy

I'd have Suarez and Bellers constantly switching,the potential for quality pass and move football is phenomanal.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #36: Sep 15, 2011 01:33:34 am
      Gerrard is not the same player he once was.

We won't really know that until he is back playing again. He has had a bad groin for so long its hard to say what he might be like when he comes back. I am hoping for the best.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #37: Sep 15, 2011 01:59:34 am
      1. Charlie Adam

2. In the hole behind Suarez
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #38: Sep 15, 2011 04:11:51 am
      Whether Gerrard isn't the same player as before, he's still the best Liverpool player for me at the moment. Suarez is boss, though!

I think Gerrard has to come in for Adam if we play ..

Lucas         Gerrard

Henderson                                           Downing

Suarez
                                              Carroll

and if ..

Lucas          Adam                                                Lucas     Adam

Suarez                  Gerrard          Downing      or       Henderson             Gerrard         Downing

Carroll                                                                 Carroll
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #39: Sep 15, 2011 05:13:44 am
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #40: Sep 15, 2011 05:45:55 am
      Feel like Adam should be the odd man out but Kenny seems to fancy him a great deal so seems like Henderson would take a seat. What about Bellamy and Downing on the wings and Suarez up top in front of Stevie?
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #41: Sep 15, 2011 07:33:41 am
      1. Charlie Adam

2. In the hole behind Suarez

Agree with this. Adam to the bench, cause he's not been consistent enough thus far, and he needs to improve.

We'll get the best out of our Cappy, if he's played in a more advanced position.

We'll pose a much bigger threat in attacking, and we have the players to do it, Suarez, Carroll, Downing, Bellamy and Gerrard.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #42: Sep 15, 2011 09:07:30 am

This is how I see Liverpool will operate with Gerrard.

But I think this is far better because the interchanging between players (bar Carroll) will give us some advantage against oppositions.

TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #43: Sep 15, 2011 09:21:35 am
      I don't think this is the right question tbh.  It is not a case of who drops out and where will Stevie play. We will mix it up this year, playing differently against different opposition.  Stevie, Lucas and Downing, plus Suarez are probably nailed on.  Carroll, Henderson, Kuyt and Adam will be fighting it out for the final two places, KK will pick them based on the opposition, form etc.

Lucas   Gerrard
      Kuyt                    Downing
               Suarez
                     Carroll

or

Gerrard Lucas Adam
      Suarez                        Downing
                      Carroll

or
                  Gerrard  Lucas
      Henderson                 Downing
                       Suarez
                          Kuyt/Carroll

I'd be very surprised to see Stevie on the right wing.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #44: Sep 15, 2011 10:45:04 am
      Very surprised that quite a few seem to think Gerrard will play central midfield rather than further forward. I know he played there a bit last season , but I think that was as much due to injury restrictions as any tactical decision. A fit and firing Gerrard for me is much better suited now to playing behind the striker(s) rather than in the midfield mix.

Obviously he can still play midfield (assuming a complete recovery) but for me the best way to optimise his passing,running and shooting now is to play him further forward. I also think this will add years to his game as he won't be required to do as much of the "donkey work" further forward.

I think Kuyt will become marginalised as the season progresses with either Suarez and Carroll playing up front or Suarez leading the line with Gerrard behind him.   

I honestly can't see Henderson playing CM, he doesn't tackle and I have seen nothing in his game so far to suggest he could play that role. I see him as an attacking midfielder either from the wide areas or central when Gerrard needs a rest.

Should be an interesting few weeks once Gerrard is back, seeing what formation and team we put out. 
      Wall
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Dangerous, Unpredictable and I Make a lot of Noise
      Reply #45: Sep 15, 2011 10:54:37 am
      I think it would be Adam or Kuyt to make way most of the time. I think Stevie would be best foward of Lucas but behind the 'real' forward 3 he could link up more spray balls around and be more fluid between defense and attack where he'd be in the perfect position to help out with both.

I'm not sure of Henderson's best position yet he's only a bairn but RM or CM not sure yet and maybe neither is he?

Quick Reply