Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Outcome against Portsmouth?

Another three points for the reds thanks!
      41 (85.4%)
      Tricky... we'll nab a draw
      7 (14.6%)
      Oh dear - curse of Pompey will strike again
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: Sep 16, 2007 11:09:23 am

Portsmouth v Liverpool (Sat 15th Sep - 12.45pm)

Read 7877 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Portsmouth v Liverpool (Sat 15th Sep - 12.45pm)
      Sep 11, 2007 11:08:39 am
      Time to start looking ahead to our weekend game.

We will be looking for revenge for that penalty defeat that took the Asia Trophy away from us
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,3542.0.html

Portsmouth had a good season last year, and are always a tricky place to go to.  They have put in good performances against the big teams in a difficult start to the season for them, but unfortunately haven't got a big points haul yet.

Let's hope it DOESNT start on Saturday for them.
      « Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007 10:46:59 pm by JD »
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Re: Portsmouth v Liverpool (Sat 15th Sep - 3pm)
      Reply #1: Sep 11, 2007 11:17:24 am
      I believe we have the quality to turn them over this season and hopefully Cara will be fit to start, think it is our hardest test to date and will be a close game and the first goal will be all important
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #2: Sep 11, 2007 11:37:51 am
      Difficult game this one I have said a draw. I don't think we will get beat and could possibly sneek it 1-2! Here's hoping!
      Cy
      Reply #3: Sep 11, 2007 11:38:50 am
      The plan will be to consolidate the start of our season and stay at the top of the league. Portsmouth is a good test but I can still see us getting the three points in a professional manner. We will need to do what we have done so far which is keeping the ball and be patient. Gerrard will be happy to be back in the squad, as Carra, Crouch and Torres to start.

Unless a magic performance from James, Liverpool to win 2-1.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #4: Sep 11, 2007 12:22:44 pm
      I can't watch the game  :'( . I will be on the beach ;D
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #5: Sep 11, 2007 12:50:52 pm
      I believe we now have the quality to turn over anyone in the Premiership.

The question is do we start withe team that kicked off against Derby or given that we have a Tuesday European fixture will Rafa ring the changes?

I don't think it matters as we can now field two extremely strong sides.  I do however feel the defence always looks more solid with Cara at the core.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #6: Sep 11, 2007 12:54:09 pm
      Mmm, a sticky one. Looking at Portsmouth, they are sure to give any number of the the top sides an uncomfortable time BUT, I'm going to say that we'll buck the trend, confound the experts and bar the odd attempt on goal from Harry's men, we'll run out 2-0 winners.

We just have better players and more class.

How's that for 3-points-in-the-bag-optimism...
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #7: Sep 11, 2007 01:03:24 pm
      looking at pompey against arsenal they were very slow to get to the ball  arsenal played around us .ya they beat us 2-1 last season  only because rafa rung the changes cause of the champs league and two mistakes by dudek
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Sep 11, 2007 01:18:00 pm
      I hope I'm wrong, but I think this game will be a draw, 2-2, it will be quite difficult down there especially after the break we've had.

Torres and Gerrard to score
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #9: Sep 11, 2007 01:33:46 pm
      The caution shown by everyone in their predictions is not without justification, but i feel that with the return to fitness of key players and the quality we have, we should be good enough to beat Pompey...especially if we want to consider ourselves title contenders.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Sep 11, 2007 01:36:29 pm
      I agree with Oldred on us having the quality to turn anyone over in the Premiership lately. But I do feel it'll be a really tough test to get the three points. Pompey are a very dogged and determined team, so we're gonna have to be very careful in possession. I think patience will be the key. I'm hoping we can create a couple of decent chances and to take at least one of them.

Tight game, but the mighty reds come out one nil winners!
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #11: Sep 11, 2007 02:31:56 pm
      I'm not so sure that Rafa will start with Gerrard.He has just recovered from an injury and in all probability will play the full 90 minutes again against Russia.I think he will be on the bench.

Most Portsmouth players will be fresh having not played in midweek.I think it will be a 1-1 draw although i hope that im wrong and we can get all 3 points :)

camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #12: Sep 11, 2007 03:49:45 pm
      we'll win it 2-0 i think we are too hot to handle at the moment they will be tricky but i think it will take a better team to stop us

The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: Sep 11, 2007 04:45:27 pm
      I think Sol Cambell is out again for the weekend and without him they do tend to struggle a bit in defence. When Cambell and Primus were in defence for them last season they looked a bloody good outfit but without those two they will be ripe for the taking. We just have watch for that freak Taylor who can do a Xabi from inside his own half. But with not such a good start to the season this time round I think we can win this one 2-0 or maybe 2-1 but we have to treat them with a lot more caution than Derby or Scumberland, I say just get the ball to my new best friend Torres and let him run rings round em.
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #14: Sep 11, 2007 05:10:08 pm
      I expect Stevie will play as I think Masch has had a long flight to represent Argentina and we would not risk Leiva or Yossi.

Two nill to us i reckon and Torres to consider his scoring form.

REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #15: Sep 11, 2007 05:19:24 pm
      This could be quite a tight game,Games after international matches are always a little more challenging.Pompey will be well up for upsetting one of the 2top four"i hope i am wrong ,but i can see this being a draw.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #16: Sep 11, 2007 05:52:25 pm
      The way Liverpool have played this season, and the way the players have settled in there positions, I believe a win is on the cards.
      Look at the way Portsmouth played us in Hong Kong. The had 1 goalkeeper and 10 men behind the ball.
      Yes they will attack more when they play us at home - they have to, but now we have the players to open up there defence and convert the chances.

In Hong Kong we battered them off the park, but we failed to create / convert our chances. This was down to new players settling in and probably under confidence.
      Look at us now, we have goals in us from all over the place, confidence is sky high and players who are not only playing for there position - but for the club also.

I'm going for a 2 - 0 win.
      Crouch and Pennant.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #17: Sep 11, 2007 06:41:13 pm
      I would be surprised if Gerrard plays.  I think England will have over-exerted him - damn MacClaren!

Even though I had questioned Alonso at the start of the season he made me eat my words in the last game and I would like to see him and the excellent Mascherano start.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #18: Sep 11, 2007 06:51:03 pm
      Portsmouth have come on leaps and bounds under Redknapp to the point that they're serious contenders for a UEFA Cup spot this season. However there is one department in which they are lacking, pace. With this in mind I would opt for a line up of:

Reina

Finnan     Carra   Agger   Arbeloa

Pennant  Masch  Sissoko   Babel

Voronin   Torres

I would leave Gerrard out for this one if he plays for England as expected, I feel Masch can do a good enough job defensively, Sissoko will provide a lot of energy in the midfield, and we will have enough attacking threat from the wings & upfront to do without him for this one. I would still name him on the bench just in case. Carra to me is a little more important for this one, and unless his recovery hits a setback I feel he needs to be in the team, we haven't looked the same defensively without him there.

With the form we're currently in I expect Redknapp to take quite a cautious approach to this game, not quite as cautious as in Hong Kong but I feel they will keep it pretty tight. In Pennant, Babel, Torres & Voronin we have the players to break them down, but I'm not expecting goals galore like we've had recently. I'm going to go for 1-0 in this one.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #19: Sep 11, 2007 06:55:33 pm
      Portsmouth have come on leaps and bounds under Redknapp to the point that they're serious contenders for a UEFA Cup spot this season. However there is one department in which they are lacking, pace. With this in mind I would opt for a line up of:

Reina

Finnan     Carra   Agger   Arbeloa

Pennant  Masch  Sissoko   Babel

Voronin   Torres

I'd pick this team also - but wouldn't be surprised if you see Ging playing LM and Kuyt up top with Torres.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Sep 11, 2007 06:57:21 pm
      Even though I had questioned Alonso at the start of the season he made me eat my words in the last game and I would like to see him and the excellent Mascherano start.

I've got a feeling Alonso's appearance in the reserves means he'll be sitting this one out.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #21: Sep 11, 2007 07:01:03 pm
      I've got a feeling Alonso's appearance in the reserves means he'll be sitting this one out.

Maybe he played that as he will not be playing a midweek international like Stevie? And I think Mascherano arrives back from Australia on friday so that would make him doubtful?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #22: Sep 11, 2007 07:48:50 pm
      Actually is this game at 3pm or is it at 12:45? Anybody confirm?

Quick Reply