Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Mascherano Facing Possible 5 Year Sentence

Read 1192 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Mascherano Facing Possible 5 Year Sentence
      Sep 11, 2007 06:17:25 pm
      From the Daily Mail:

Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano are at the centre of a police probe in Brazil - and could face up to five years in jail for alleged tax evasion, according to reports in Brazil. Manchester United striker Tevez and Liverpool midfielder Mascherano moved to West Ham last year from Brazilian club Corinthians. The country's authorities are now investigating alleged financial irregularities at the Sao Paulo club, involving players supplied by Iranian tycoon Kia Joorabchian and his company MSI. They include Argentines Tevez and Mascherano, both 23, as well as Werder Bremen's Brazilian midfielder Carlos Alberto and his countryman, Besiktas midfielder Ricardinho. Police are seeking to establish whether the stars were involved in a scheme to dodge Brazilian taxes, and are investigating both current and former Corinthians officials as well as Joorabchian. Sao Paulo daily O Estado quoted a 70-page police report, and claimed that the players could face two to five years in jail if found guilty of not declaring money they received to Brazil's tax authorities.
      Another city paper, Folha, alleged that Ricardinho and Alberto had struck an agreement with Corinthians and MSI to receive part of their salaries outside Brazil - which could constitute a crime in the South American country.

LINK

I really hope this turns out to be media sensationalism, fingers crossed it's just the club getting investigated & the players names have been linked as they're big players over here. If the clubs knew about this investigation in advance though, it would explain why neither ourselves or Utd signed the players on permanent deals. I'm not sure if we have an extradition treaty with Brazil, they certainly didn't help send Ronnie Biggs the other way, if it is true maybe Masch could just not go back there & stay over here?
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Re: Mascherano Facing Possible 5 Year Sentence
      Reply #1: Sep 11, 2007 06:28:09 pm
      I'm sure I read or heard this story before but only about Kia Joorabchian and his company MSI, from what I can remember the Brazilian justice system works so slow and you can appeal everything they were talking about it taking 10years for them to get a conviction. lets hope so
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #2: Sep 11, 2007 06:33:02 pm
      Can they not wait for the end of the season when he won't be our player anymore?
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Sep 11, 2007 06:35:02 pm
      I'm sure I read or heard this story before but only about Kia Joorabchian and his company MSI, from what I can remember the Brazilian justice system works so slow and you can appeal everything they were talking about it taking 10years for them to get a conviction. lets hope so

Yeah I heard it before about Joorbachian only, but it now appears the net is spreading & more people are getting dragged in. I hope that's true about it taking so long to get convicted in Brazil, 10 years should see him through to the end of his career, although they might have some rules about staying in the country whilst appealing.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: Sep 11, 2007 10:00:20 pm
      Screw the brazlians we have no extradition treaty with them. Remember Ronnie Biggs?? Anyone!!! someone go round Javiers house and tell him not too worry he can stay here as long as he likes!!
      PaintingTheTownRed
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 11, 2007 10:09:18 pm
      From what I've read, there seems to have been some dodgey stuff going on at Corinthians with MSI in charge, reports of money laundering etc. I can only hope that it is the club that takes the hit and not the players. I think our government would only extradite if there was sufficient evidence implicating the players, not just the club.
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #6: Sep 11, 2007 10:24:50 pm
      Its the Mail..ignore it....right wing trash with anti Liverpool agenda even in the sports sections.

Quick Reply