Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match?

Downing
      (1.2%)
      Carroll
      (5.6%)
      Suarez
      (7.5%)
      Lucas
      (9.3%)
      Enrique
      (47.8%)
      Reina
      (6.8%)
      Someone else
      (21.7%)

Spurs 4-0 Liverpool: In game chat and post match finger-pointing

Read 78106 times
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Re: Spurs 4-0 Liverpool: In game chat and post match finger-pointing
      Reply #1288: Sep 19, 2011 09:14:25 pm
      NEWSFLASH:  We won't win every game this season.

And it's probably likely that we go home without a win more often than we take all 3 points.

But even that doesn't mean we won't have enough points to have a much better season than last year.

The first four games in the League showed some real improvement on last season.  Okay so we had a sh*t game, although worth remembering that even 'brilliant Spurs' needed us to lose 2 players before they made the game safe.

I remember Man City hammering us with 11 last year and we tonked them at Anfield.

I'm prepared to bet that the same morons who suggest the end is nigh after the weekend's game would have been the exact same ones who would have had us down to storm the league if we had won 4-0.

The ultimate definition of knee jerking.

But we didn't win 4-0, so we're probably not going to storm the league ATM. I would've been one of those guys to say we'd do it if we had won 4-0 at WHL. Wouldn't you?

The fact is we lost 4-0 with an awful display... everyone has the right to be pissed off, concerned or w/e. I don't think most people think that we should've hammered 'em 10-0, nor that we have to win every game, away or home (though we should, isn't that how United is 8 points ahead of us in 5 games?), but losing 2-1 or getting back with 1 point would've been better than coming back 4-0, don't you think so?

On the other hand, I agree that we will certainly have a better season than last year's, but after all the investment that was made we better do. But seeing such a terrible display with all of our investment on the pitch is to be worried about, at least IMHO.

And no, I don't think i'm knee jerking by saying this...
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #1289: Sep 19, 2011 09:21:41 pm
      Came on and only read last two pages.Good decision on my part.Not too many giving Spurs any compliments.
      I thought Parker was outstanding as was Modric (under the circs).It happens,the next opposition in the "old" days would be shaking in their boots after a Liverpool loss.Our players WILL put this right,of that I'm sure.So keep the faith people.

IKKWT.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1290: Sep 19, 2011 10:34:54 pm
      When we were 2 men down and 3 nil down, I still thought of Istanbul...crazy I know, but when the 4th went in, it completed a miserable sporting weekend for me personally. Hopefully next weekend will be a hell of a lot better.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1291: Sep 20, 2011 01:42:47 am
      I will try and look at the positive outcome out of this loss. It has identified key areas we need to improve on and it will make the players realise they need to step up a notch in their commitment and desire. Dominating at Stoke and losing the match and expecting a result against a top 4 contender with the same preparation clearly does not work. Kenny get some things wrong in this one but the blame lies at the feet of the players the intensity desire and passion needs to lift. Especially given that in a few weeks time we have the derby and the Mancs. Hopefully this will be a massive wake up call to all at the club.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #1292: Sep 20, 2011 02:03:08 am
      I'm not going to slag anyone here because everybody's entitled to his/her opinion, but slagging off a Liverpool player just because he didn't turned up to be what we've expected/performed the way we wanted clearly show us the sign of an ignorant fan.

I agree with some of you that Skrtel could sometime be a nutjob. His decision sometimes is questionable and he's not what he used to be, but how many times did he saved our sorry a**es when it matters the most. Remember the lad wasn't Rafa's first choice target when we got him, but still he show the nerve of steel. Often he made crucial tackles and saved us so many times but always we see what we wanted to see in him;reckelessness and bad timing decisions. Yes he was not a RB but did he stepped back and played like he didn't care? Nope and everytime I see him play I see a man trying to give his all on the field eventhough I cringed and f**king mad about some of his decisions. Saying that, everyone knows that football is a split second decision game. You just cannot stand here and think what you want to do, you just do what you consider necessary. It's 50-50 chances you'll get it right or otherwise. But some of us were in different tune with Alonso. Yes he gave us what we called the greatest season for him and for us, but did anyone remembered how average his season was prior to that last one? But still some of being too ignorant and let that slipped through because we thought Alonso was at a different class than Skrtel. I f**king hates it when you try to pin anything on someone just because in your eyes he was not up to your f**king standard. I hated him when he did some silly mistakes but nobody' sperfect in this world, learn and accept it. At least he give his all and never complained, not like that t**t who think we're no big club. I'm not defending him because he's my favourite, but he's a Liverpool player FFS! If you're saying he's f**king nutjob, so did Adam that day, but we knew deep in our heart that those two lads were just trying to do everything that was right to them but it did actually turned bad.

Just try to move beyond that scapegoat theory and learn to accept that our midfield was terribly horrendous that day. Our MIDFIELD, the whole bunch not just someone. They alienated themselves from both our attacking lines and defensive lines. Spurs moved through them like knife slicing butter. Our passings were absolute dismal and we lacked creativity. Enrique it was not the case of him trying to be a Torres and dribbled every f**king player on the field, but it was a case either our lads were too far out or too damn narrow for him to make a successful pass.

I was kind of delighted to see us got trashed that kind of way (not like I like seeing us get beaten) because even we're playing like s**t that day those Spurs b**ches couldn't get pass beyond 1-0. Only when we're 2 men down, then we got battered. To say that Spurs is a top 4 contender is a totally rubbish. We just need to pick up our tempo and rediscover our form back and play like when we played against Sunderland that day. 
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #1293: Sep 20, 2011 02:13:27 am
      I'm not going to slag anyone here because everybody's entitled to his/her opinion, but slagging off a Liverpool player just because he didn't turned up to be what we've expected/performed the way we wanted clearly show us the sign of an ignorant fan.

I agree with some of you that Skrtel could sometime be a nutjob. His decision sometimes is questionable and he's not what he used to be, but how many times did he saved our sorry a**es when it matters the most. Remember the lad wasn't Rafa's first choice target when we got him, but still he show the nerve of steel. Often he made crucial tackles and saved us so many times but always we see what we wanted to see in him;reckelessness and bad timing decisions. Yes he was not a RB but did he stepped back and played like he didn't care? Nope and everytime I see him play I see a man trying to give his all on the field eventhough I cringed and f**king mad about some of his decisions. Saying that, everyone knows that football is a split second decision game. You just cannot stand here and think what you want to do, you just do what you consider necessary. It's 50-50 chances you'll get it right or otherwise. But some of us were in different tune with Alonso. Yes he gave us what we called the greatest season for him and for us, but did anyone remembered how average his season was prior to that last one? But still some of being too ignorant and let that slipped through because we thought Alonso was at a different class than Skrtel. I f**king hates it when you try to pin anything on someone just because in your eyes he was not up to your f**king standard. I hated him when he did some silly mistakes but nobody' sperfect in this world, learn and accept it. At least he give his all and never complained, not like that t**t who think we're no big club. I'm not defending him because he's my favourite, but he's a Liverpool player FFS! If you're saying he's f**king nutjob, so did Adam that day, but we knew deep in our heart that those two lads were just trying to do everything that was right to them but it did actually turned bad.

Just try to move beyond that scapegoat theory and learn to accept that our midfield was terribly horrendous that day. Our MIDFIELD, the whole bunch not just someone. They alienated themselves from both our attacking lines and defensive lines. Spurs moved through them like knife slicing butter. Our passings were absolute dismal and we lacked creativity. Enrique it was not the case of him trying to be a Torres and dribbled every f**king player on the field, but it was a case either our lads were too far out or too damn narrow for him to make a successful pass.

I was kind of delighted to see us got trashed that kind of way (not like I like seeing us get beaten) because even we're playing like s**t that day those Spurs b**ches couldn't get pass beyond 1-0. Only when we're 2 men down, then we got battered. To say that Spurs is a top 4 contender is a totally rubbish. We just need to pick up our tempo and rediscover our form back and play like when we played against Sunderland that day. 
      Top post +.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,507 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1294: Sep 20, 2011 10:25:06 am
      Interesting comment about Modric being outstanding under the circumstances...I would be bouncing up and down and buzzing after spending the summer in a sulk after not being allowed to go to Chelsea and then your manager tells you are going to talk to the chairman about a big fat pay rise. This is the same manager who openly talked about selling you to raise money for the rest of the team. BTW spot on about the start of the game, we were on the back foot from the beginning, we didn't compete in the middle and Adam and Lucas were too deep.
      L4Red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • @L4Red8
      Reply #1295: Sep 20, 2011 10:55:38 am

Good post! If I could give a + I would   :D
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1296: Sep 20, 2011 12:29:19 pm
      I look at it this way: Spurs dominated the opening 20 minutes. Their goal was a terrific wonder goal. You wouldn't count on a goal like that every game being scored against you. I have my doubts about Spurs maintaining that energy for a full 90 minutes. How many games have we come out and dominated for the opening quarter hour, only to lose steam and let the opposition back in? It's a very common thing in modern football, and is easier to do at home with the crowd on your side.

Once we went a man down, it was much easier for them to maintain energy as they kept the ball longer. I believe the game would have been a different outcome if it was 11 v 11. Not saying we would have won, but we would have grown in to that game and our midfield would have made more of a contribution. Once it was 11 v 10, we were chasing shadows. 11 v 9, the shadows were chasing us :D

No one should slag Skrtel off for his performance. He's not a right back. He's stuck there because all of our right backs are hurt, end of. Going against the paciest left winger (probably in the world) wasn't fair to him from the outset. I can't wait for Kelly to come back.

End of the day, I think the game would have shaped up a wee bit differently had gap-tooth not been sent off. He wasn't playing well, but once Spurs tired I think we would have grown in to the game. On the road against teams that are roughly our equal, we have to be prepared for an onslaught.

Also, we've played our two main rivals for the top 4 away already. 3 points out of a possible 6. Better than two away draws, or a draw and a defeat, or two defeats! We'll be back. If we can get to December in a good position, our schedule is relatively easy that whole month: Fulham, QPR, Villa, Wigan, Blackburn and Newcastle. Move forward :)

you make some very good points, and I completely agree that no way spurs would have maintained that pace for 90 minutes. I think kenny's tactic was to soak up the preassure knowing spurs would throw everythign at us, and use downing/enrique/suarez's pace later on.

my problem wasn't with the tactics, it was with what I was seeing from a lot of players out there. we started off slow, very slow. there is a difference between soaking up preassure and not countering preassure. we weren't closing down enough at the start, we weren't putting nearly enough preassure in the midfield and if you remember, there were a lot fo last ditch tackles flying in between our penalty area and the half way line. I also saw enrique making useful runs, only to run into blind alleys with noone supporting him, that showed lack of desire from us to get at them.

tactics can be worked on and improved, but my worry was the body language and the lack of desire from certain players - that's more difficult to turn around. kenny's as good as a motivator as it gets so we've got the right manager to turn it around. but I don't want to see that type of attitude again.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #1297: Sep 20, 2011 01:41:58 pm
      Taken me until today to get out of the mood that scoreline put me in.

But I'm over it now and ready for the next few games. I know that Kenny and Steve will take note of what happened and realised they didn't get it quite right the other day.

I knew when Adam got sent of it was going to be hard because I don't think out of Henderson, Lucas and Downing that there was going to be someone who would try and dominate the midfield for us. I thought we did well with 10 men but soon as it went down to 9 it was going to be extremely difficult to get anything out of the game.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #1298: Sep 20, 2011 01:59:31 pm
      Skrtel is reckless but the criticism of him in this thread is shameful. Can't quote on my phone but some people in here must be forgetting he plays for us not the mancs or something!!
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #1299: Sep 20, 2011 07:19:07 pm
      Lets also bear in mind it was only 1-0 when it was 11v11 and we had the ball in the net, offside like but a reply non the less.

It took us going to 9 men for them to score 4.
      They were already all over us before the first sending off though mate, you'd have to be blind not to see that
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #1300: Sep 20, 2011 07:54:34 pm
      Parker and Adebayor cost £5 million. Carroll and Henderson cost £55 million......
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #1301: Sep 20, 2011 07:56:11 pm
      Parker and Adebayor cost £5 million. Carroll and Henderson cost £55 million......

PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #1302: Sep 20, 2011 07:56:28 pm
      I won't continue to moan, what's more important is what is KK going to do now about the situation? The mess is so terrible I'm no sure where he's going to start with. There has been too many below par games from Adam and Henderson and this cannot continue and I believe KK is smart enough to realise that and will not allow that to continue that willl cost us big time. I'm so upset about our midfield that I now think if my midfield line-up is as shown below, can it possibly bite and one that play with a much faster pace and aggression until the Jan window that we can get some real quality players in :-

Suarez        Carroll

Shelvey       Stevie      Spearing      Bellamy

Enrique       Skrtel       Coates         Kelly

Reyna

At least they will play with true grit, speed and aggresssion. Never mind Shelvey is no winger and over hit passes but he can be a real menace to play against, at least he tried and he'll improve with more game time, much better than the much more expensive version of Henderson that hardly tried going forward except for those side and back passes. Some may say I'm mad with this line-up, but getting thrashed big time at spuds is no fun and at times desperate situations requires drastic actions.

Whats downing done wrong?
      pool07
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #1303: Sep 20, 2011 07:59:40 pm
      Parker will retire in a couple of seasons and Adebayor will be playing for some italian/spanish/middle-eastern team next season.....maybe we could give Carroll, Henderson and other new signings some time to settle in? Just saying.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #1304: Sep 20, 2011 08:03:58 pm
      Completely agree pool07 but just saying I think we may have over spent on a few of our signings recently.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #1305: Sep 20, 2011 08:04:44 pm

And what's shelvey done right?

;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1306: Sep 21, 2011 01:03:11 am

:mad:

Posts like this indicate the idiocy of the modern football fan.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #1307: Sep 21, 2011 01:03:31 am
      So, your point is? What ever the price tag it doesn't really matter because at the end of the day, he the one who consistent will prevail. What you're saying is both Henderson and Carroll should justify their £55 million price tag this early of the season? Parker and Adebayor really worth the money? What because Adebayor played for Arsenal, City and Madrid once and Parker was at Chelsea once? We only got to know Adebayor when he's 25 and Parker not even a regular for Chelsea. We got in our hand two youngsters who are eager to prove themselves so be patient. I could agree with you that Carroll's price was slightly over the top but that's the price of a British players nowadays. 
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #1308: Sep 21, 2011 01:06:28 am
      So, your point is? What ever the price tag it doesn't really matter because at the end of the day, he the one who consistent will prevail. What you're saying is both Henderson and Carroll should justify their £55 million price tag this early of the season? Parker and Adebayor really worth the money? What because Adebayor played for Arsenal, City and Madrid once and Parker was at Chelsea once? We only got to know Adebayor when he's 25 and Parker not even a regular for Chelsea. We got in our hand two youngsters who are eager to prove themselves so be patient. I could agree with you that Carroll's price was slightly over the top but that's the price of a British players nowadays. 
      I totally agree.

We didn't sign Carroll & Henderson for just 1 season.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1309: Sep 21, 2011 03:54:01 am

And who's Reyna?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1310: Sep 21, 2011 05:37:37 am

Your point is?

We bought Carroll and Henderson for 10 years, not for two years.

With the potential they've got, the prices would be nothing in the future.

Quick Reply