Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match?

Downing
      (1.2%)
      Carroll
      (5.6%)
      Suarez
      (7.5%)
      Lucas
      (9.3%)
      Enrique
      (47.8%)
      Reina
      (6.8%)
      Someone else
      (21.7%)

Spurs 4-0 Liverpool: In game chat and post match finger-pointing

Read 78082 times
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Re: Spurs 4-0 Liverpool: In game chat and post match finger-pointing
      Reply #1242: Sep 19, 2011 01:27:31 pm
      We were second to the ball through the entire match. They played with pace and verve and were much hungrier than us.

Not all the yellow cards were warranted and it seemed the ref was trigger happy when it came to us. I believe he saw the kick out by Parker on Lucas towards the end of the match and did nothing. That was a straight red in anyone's language.

Even though it was painful to watch, it was a car crash and we must move on. The whole season isn't doomed by one dire performance. We just have to regroup, and realise that we must be up for it, every single match as many other clubs are showing the desperation to succeed, and it won't be plain sailing without grit and determination.

YNWA
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #1243: Sep 19, 2011 01:34:56 pm
      I deliberately never posted on here until today as I feel my anger at the scoreline would of over shadowed my view of the game as a whole.

We started with a team on paper who was more than capable of winning the game. Unfortunately the players who we had picked just didn't turn up for 20 odd minutes and it was already too late as Spurs had a goal and a man advantage.

I did wonder if Skrtel was going to be the weak link against Bale and unfortunately he was at 6's and 7's for the whole entire time. The exposure of Skrtel wasn't entirely hos fault though, we allowed Modric and Kranjcar to dominate the midfield and they can both pass a ball with deadly accuracy. Henderson wasn't good enough in protecting Skrtel and Kuyt would of offered a lot more stability down our right hand side. This wouldn't of been such a big problem if their midfield was closed down quicker.

Suarez and Carroll were having to come back to get the ball when we had it. The midfield were sitting so deep that even when Suarez, Carroll or Downing had it, they still had 30 yards to run with the ball before getting a shot away..

The sending off (Adam) helped us in a way and I feel we were at our best when we had 10 men. It was a sending off and there's no doubt about it, the way the ref was being I'm surprised it wasn't a straight red.

The Skrtel sending of was stupid from him as he knows that being on a yellow and making them tackles, especially with that ref, he was going to be sent off.

Down to 9 men was just about damage limitation to be fair.

Overall it was a horrible day and we may of believed that the Stoke loss was just unlucky but looking back, it has affected our confidence into this game.

We should go into the Brighton game with our strongest XI and batter them, just to get confidence up. Carroll needs goals to prove his starting XI position as Kuyt may start giving Kenny a headache over being a partner for Suarez and rightly so.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1244: Sep 19, 2011 01:38:04 pm
      It is true that 2 losses is nothing much compared to a 38 game season, but the side issue is that nowadays, the premiership is so difficult to win, and with the top 3 teams having such a very high win ratio, what with 5 games gone, it's already very difficult to see us winning the title.

This may or may not be our aim, but it's very frustrating to see us falter at such an early stage.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #1245: Sep 19, 2011 01:39:07 pm
      Skrtel was out of his depth, but playing Kuyt with him would have given more protection
      Henderson & Adam are simply not good enough, but if thats the best we have & what we spent a large amount of money on then what option do we have atm?
      Carroll also comes into this bracket. I think all 3 a very good squad players with Henderson & Carroll hopefully able to improve. Those 3 in the same team atm means we plod & dont have enough of anything much.

You have to ask would you rather Henderson & Carroll or Parker & Adebayor? Well you don't but when we play like that it makes you think! Personally you put Parker & Adebayor in instead of those 2 & then have £50M to spend & I don't think it's rocket science....
      I dont think Adam and hendo are bad players. Adam is trying too hard to impress. If he keeps it simple and basic then i honestly think that he would be a great signing. Hendo is young, although we paid too much for him. I believe that he will become a good signing. Maybe Kenny have overused him lately but thats another story.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #1246: Sep 19, 2011 01:58:05 pm
      I dont think Adam and hendo are bad players. Adam is trying too hard to impress. If he keeps it simple and basic then i honestly think that he would be a great signing. Hendo is young, although we paid too much for him. I believe that he will become a good signing. Maybe Kenny have overused him lately but thats another story.

Pretty much what I said about Adam. He's trying to take on the mantle of match winning play making hero, a part he played really well at Blackpool. If he sticks to the basics and lets others around him do their job, I too believe he'll be a very good signing for us.

Hendo just needs more time
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #1247: Sep 19, 2011 02:10:07 pm
      So hacked off still from the result. Not going to comment further than that.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #1248: Sep 19, 2011 02:28:32 pm
      Pretty much what I said about Adam. He's trying to take on the mantle of match winning play making hero, a part he played really well at Blackpool. If he sticks to the basics and lets others around him do their job, I too believe he'll be a very good signing for us.

Hendo just needs more time
      At the moment Adam is suffering the Lucas problem of a couple of years ago anywhere in the centre circle he is getting caught out having an extra touch usually when facing our goal. Seen us play some good football so far yesterday has gone now its over time to move on.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1249: Sep 19, 2011 02:43:17 pm
      My little boy got christened yesterday so I didn't see game.

Upto half-time now on Sky's Football First and what a F***ing nightmare half it was - we looked absolutely clueless and as much as I want to pass blame I haven't seen a card shown that I could say shouldn't have been.

Positive note that's White Hart Lane, The Emirates and The Brittania out of the way already and The Captain is nearly back.

Can only get better.

Dreading watching the 2nd half though.
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #1250: Sep 19, 2011 02:46:43 pm

Upto half-time now on Sky's Football First and what a F***ing nightmare half it was - we looked absolutely clueless and as much as I want to pass blame I haven't seen a card shown that I could say shouldn't have been.

Same here, want to blame ref that he gave so much cards but at the other point of view all cards were deserved. So we have to only blame ourselves :(
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1251: Sep 19, 2011 03:10:42 pm
      Can you blame KK for the weak performances from Adam and Henderson who left everything pass them by in midfield?

Of course he can ... Adam and Henderson are Kenny's signings, and he's been starting them in every match so far this season ...
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #1252: Sep 19, 2011 03:16:36 pm
      Bloody Hell quake hits when we go 1-0 down.  Damn scary.  poor game from us.  RIP to the deceased.  9 dead in Nepal so far.  Puts life into perspective.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #1253: Sep 19, 2011 03:17:36 pm
      Of course he can ... Adam and Henderson are Kenny's signings, and he's been starting them in every match so far this season ...

You know exactly what the poster meant so give the trolling a rest. 

Kenny picks the team.  He doesn't dictate whether a player moves around the pitch like he's got concrete in his boots.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #1254: Sep 19, 2011 03:25:00 pm
      It was simply a shocking performance against a very good team. People forget that this team is still rebuilding and are expecting too much too soon. In reality as much as we want to deny it, we havent got as strong a squad as Spurs or Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea. We are effectively the best of the rest after those 4 clubs and accordingly will have to ensure that we beat all the other clubs beside them to ensure that we get a top 4 place. Last week against Stoke was an example of what happens in the league, and it will happen to many of the clubs too where they drop points unexpectedly.

Hindsight is an exact science, but lets be honest...we cannot compare VDV, Bale, Modric, Parker, Defoe & Adebayor to our Downing, Lucas, Adam, Henderson, Carrol & Suarez? They have exceptional quality and each one of them is a match winner on their day. In order for us to compete with these top 4 clubs, we need to perform better as a team, and this will only come with more playing time together and tactical awareness.

We were outplayed from the 1st whistle regardless of the ref or sending off's... the reality is that for the past 2 seasons, Spurs have had a better team than ours and there's nothing wrong with that, but we need to be realistic about our expectations for this season if we put in such poor performances over the rest of this season.

We will bounce back and i hope the desire is there for the players to ensure that we go all out for victory against the teams outside of the top4...hell we can still get into Europe even if we lost to each of those teams but beat the rest and minimise our draws.
      It may sound harsh, but these are the realities im talking about. We are not a weak team at all, but in relation to our strongest competitors, we are not as strong YET.

Lets move on from this "off day".
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1255: Sep 19, 2011 03:28:52 pm
      You know exactly what the poster meant so give the trolling a rest. 

Kenny picks the team. He doesn't dictate whether a player moves around the pitch like he's got concrete in his boots.

Why is even the slightest criticism of Kenny considered a trolling ? Are we living in Romania under Ceaușescu now ?
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1256: Sep 19, 2011 03:38:04 pm
      Adebayor and Parker play like their playing for Spurs for years how can they gel so quickly and not our new boys.Iwonder sometimes is it us the supporters that put them under pressure to deliver and if so should we back off and leave them be .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1257: Sep 19, 2011 03:39:42 pm
      Lets be totally honest here,we were f***in woeful,the worst display for months IMO, and I dont think we will see another like it this season, Spuds won because they wanted it more, they totally controlled the midfield making Adam, Hendo, and Downing pretty much as useful as a fanny with teeth, Adam was way out of his depth and couldn't tackle a fish supper, Hendo was like a headless f***in chicken and Downing wasn't sure where or what to do,Skirtle was so out of it like a blind man on a galloping horse, I honestly dont ever want to see him at RB ever again,

Carra had diving boots on and after Agger got ribbed he was fu**ed, as Carroll and Suarez well,they were in the Shetlands while the midfield were still in the midlands,I could see after 10 mins we needed to change things, I would have dragged Adam off for Spearing, Robinson on at RB and put skirtle in for Agger,and Kuyt on for Hendo, we needed someone with teeth centrally to tackle and hinder their midfield, Spearing would have provided that, Kuyt would have provided support for young Robinson and neutralized Bale slightly, Downing on the left with Enrique,

we let them play in and around us with too much space,we needed to get closer and not let them move, ie,how Stoke played against us last week, it was a proper kick in the bollocks and a massive wake up call, we need Gerrard back asap, our midfield were so lucklustre, Modric, Parker and co had a field day, they bossed it from start to finish, that would not have happened had we Ste in there, the red cards were deserved Adam for dragging back Modric and then the high tackle on Parker, Skirtle like a ballet dancer with crampons on, went straight thru Bale even tho Bale had his back to goal and was going nowhere, maximum stupidity, you can forgive him for the first yellow, almost inevitable playing where he was,

overall it was a desperate performance and one not fit for LFC, I think the players themselves will recognise that fact and be ashamed to say the least, as I said above I dont think we will see a worse display again this season, I think KK may have fu**ed up by not having enough steel in the middle and playing Skrtle at RB against Bale, nevermind, a bad day at the office and its back to the drawing board, I just hope whoever plays wednesday takes their frustration out on the seagulls.

IKWT  YNWA  
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1258: Sep 19, 2011 03:41:12 pm
      Adebayor and Parker play like their playing for Spurs for years how can they gel so quickly and not our new boys.Iwonder sometimes is it us the supporters that put them under pressure to deliver and if so should we back off and leave them be .

Adebayor and Parker are quality experienced players, and a good fit for the Spurs team ... Just like Suarez, Downing and Enrique are quality experienced players, and a good fit for the LFC team ...
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #1259: Sep 19, 2011 03:41:33 pm
      I think it's a case of Spurs playing the way Adebayor and Parker have always played. They fitted right in, whereas with Carroll we play differently to Newcastle, and I think Henderson is being played out of position. At least he was.

Team styles and player styles. Either they gel from the start, or there's a period of bedding in when one changes their style slightly to accomodate and fit with the other.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1260: Sep 19, 2011 03:43:25 pm
      I think it's a case of Spurs playing the way Adebayor and Parker have always played. They fitted right in, whereas with Carroll we play differently to Newcastle, and I think Henderson is being played out of position. At least he was.

Carroll and Henderson are too young to be judged properly yet ... We will see where we stand with them, at the end of the season ...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1261: Sep 19, 2011 03:49:20 pm
      Skrtel doesn't play CB for me nevermind RB.

Too much of a liability for me as he dives in far too much - I haven't watched the whole 90 but from what I did see I agree with billythered in that the relevant changes were not made and the effort and quality was no where near acceptable.

Lets hope we get a win on Wednesday so we can get a bit of momentum going in time for Saturday.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1262: Sep 19, 2011 03:52:31 pm
      You can argue that Adam and Skrtel's first yellows were technically yellow card challenges, but they are never given, if they are it is only after a few warnings.  If you are booking a player for those challenges, you will end up with 8 v 8.  The ref did not apply the same strict standards to their players that he did to ours - Parker handball was a yellow card according to the rules, the foul on Suarez that the ref ignored led to his yellow for what? Clapping his hands.  Ridiculous. 
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1263: Sep 19, 2011 03:54:26 pm
      I look at it this way: Spurs dominated the opening 20 minutes. Their goal was a terrific wonder goal. You wouldn't count on a goal like that every game being scored against you. I have my doubts about Spurs maintaining that energy for a full 90 minutes. How many games have we come out and dominated for the opening quarter hour, only to lose steam and let the opposition back in? It's a very common thing in modern football, and is easier to do at home with the crowd on your side.

Once we went a man down, it was much easier for them to maintain energy as they kept the ball longer. I believe the game would have been a different outcome if it was 11 v 11. Not saying we would have won, but we would have grown in to that game and our midfield would have made more of a contribution. Once it was 11 v 10, we were chasing shadows. 11 v 9, the shadows were chasing us :D

No one should slag Skrtel off for his performance. He's not a right back. He's stuck there because all of our right backs are hurt, end of. Going against the paciest left winger (probably in the world) wasn't fair to him from the outset. I can't wait for Kelly to come back.

End of the day, I think the game would have shaped up a wee bit differently had gap-tooth not been sent off. He wasn't playing well, but once Spurs tired I think we would have grown in to the game. On the road against teams that are roughly our equal, we have to be prepared for an onslaught.

Also, we've played our two main rivals for the top 4 away already. 3 points out of a possible 6. Better than two away draws, or a draw and a defeat, or two defeats! We'll be back. If we can get to December in a good position, our schedule is relatively easy that whole month: Fulham, QPR, Villa, Wigan, Blackburn and Newcastle. Move forward :)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1264: Sep 19, 2011 03:58:48 pm
      ^^^ Skrtel is a liability , i"m always happy to see him away from the penalty area he"s a F***ing nut job  tackling and i"d love to see any stats on his penalty giveaways, i"m sure it"s high.

Quick Reply