Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool boost as Fabio Aurelio returns

Read 1279 times
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Liverpool boost as Fabio Aurelio returns
      Sep 11, 2007 01:15:12 pm
      From .tv and the Echo

FABIO AURELIO was expected to make his long awaited recovery from injury in a behind closed doors friendly today.
      The Brazilian is pencilled in to face Crewe in a reserve game scheduled at Liverpool’s Academy.
      Providing the full- back feels comfortable enough to start, he'll be involved for the first time since snapping his Achilles tendon in the 3-0 win over PSV Eindhoven in last year’s Champions League quarter-final first leg.
      “We hope Fabio will be able to play in this game,” explained manager Rafa Benitez. “He’s been training well and now we think he is ready. It’s positive news to have him back.”
      If Aurelio comes through the match unscathed, he could be in contention for a senior call-up sooner rather than later.
      Benitez will be eager for more cover at full-back, despite the impressive start to the season of Alvaro Arbeloa.
      Aurelio was beginning to establish himself at Anfield with some excellent performances before bad luck intervened at the end of last season.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2007/09/11/liverpool-boost-as-fabio-aurelio-returns-100252-19768973/

Excellent news Fabio seemed to settling in well last season and will sure to be challenging for his place back in the team and the team can only benefit form the competition for places. plus in is in my fantasy football side  ;)
      MsGerrard
      Re: Liverpool boost as Fabio Aurelio returns
      Reply #1: Sep 11, 2007 01:22:46 pm
      Dead pleased about this, Fabio is one of my favourite players, and I was gutted for him when he got injured, hopefully he will get his chance in the team and turn on that magic he showed just before his injury.

Good Luck Fabio :-*
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #2: Sep 11, 2007 01:52:28 pm
      Great news... I really rate him and im glad he'll be challenging JAR and Arbeloa for a spot...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Sep 11, 2007 02:42:45 pm
      Dead pleased about this, Fabio is one of my favourite players, and I was gutted for him when he got injured, hopefully he will get his chance in the team and turn on that magic he showed just before his injury.

I echo MsGerrards thoughts, without the kiss though, obviously... ;D

It will be really refreshing to see him back in the squad soon, he'll seem like a new signing to be honest because he's been out of the picture for so long. Fingers crossed he can get back into the swing of things sooner rather than later and continue to improve.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #4: Sep 11, 2007 03:01:38 pm
       FABIO AURELIO made his return to action as Liverpool Reserves beat Crewe Alexandra Reserves 2-1 at the Academy this afternoon. 
      The Brazilian, who had not featured since injuring his Achilles tendon against PSV in April, played 45 minutes of the friendly alongside a host of first-teamers.

Goals from Xabi Alonso and Ray Putterill either side of the break secured victory in front of the watching Rafa Benitez.

This is from Liverpool tv.

Nice to have him back

The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Sep 11, 2007 04:37:43 pm

Totally agree with you on this I was really impressed with him last season, he looked in good nick till that bloody achilles gave out. We seem to suffer with left siders who have problems through no fault of their own. The only one being the execption is John Arne Risse. I hope for his sake Fabio stays fit and can put in some good performances for us which Im sure he will, I think he will have something to prove this season and his mindset may well say that.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Sep 11, 2007 06:26:52 pm
      Im not to keen on him maybe he can sway my opinion like Arbeloa has.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #7: Sep 11, 2007 06:39:06 pm
      I quite like Aurelio however I really can't see where he is going to find a game at the moment. I know Arbeloa was principally bought as a right back but he is doing a fantastic job where he is and Finnan proved last year he can play 60 odd games.

I remember the great Liverpool sides of the past and the whole back four used to play all the time - and when the likes of Phil Neal, Steve Nicol, Alan Kennedy etc were out then it was very noticeable - especially in those days when patient build up play from the back was integral to the Liverpool side.

Great to have him back but where - I just don't know!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #8: Sep 11, 2007 10:53:30 pm
      Gutted when he got injured, just when his good form was starting to show consistency. Glad to see he's on his way back. Great player.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #9: Sep 12, 2007 02:33:47 am
      This is great news and it can only serve as a reminder that no one's place is guaranteed in the starting 11. We have a squad of 45 players, 12 of them on loan. 11 defenders is a healthy number when pushing for honours. In a season where 4 cups plus the holy grail is on offer it is pleasing Fabio has returned to the fold as he was turning in some great performances before the cruel injury blow.

Risse and Arbeloa had better keep their socks pulled up otherwise Fabio could steam in to the Left back position and claim it for himself. My feeling is that Risse had better improve his shooting because unless he cashes in on the money shots his defending needs improving. I feel he plays better as a winger and defending is better left to defensive players. Arbeloa on the other hand is quite versatile as he proved against Messi in the CL last season, Right back by trade playing Left back, nice, and also good cover for Finnan.
      Fabio has a little while to go before a 1st team place emerges so Risse and Arbeloa have some work to do but it's early days but great news all the same.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #10: Sep 12, 2007 09:48:27 am
      I'll be very glad to see him return to action, as I feel on form he's the best option we have. Arbeloa is doing a great job filling in but it worries me how often he drifts into the middle, something which is natural for a player playing on the 'wrong' side of the pitch. Because this hasn't resulted in us conceding as yet it hasn't really been picked up on, but it will cost us a goal and quite possibly a game at some point. Riise for me is a bit of a luxury player, he's got an amazing shot but that's about it. Defensively he's not good enough, getting caught out of position & mistiming tackles, if he hasn't improved on this by now it's not gonna happen. When playing on the wing he doesn't have the dribbling skills to take players on, and whilst his crosses are pretty accurate when they get there often they don't clear the first man as a result of not going past him. I'm not one of the people who thinks Riise should go, he isn't that bad just not good enough to be first choice, and the fact he can play two positions makes him an ideal squad player. Unforunate as it is Arbeloa will quite likely return to playing understudy to Finnan most of the time, he should still get some games on the left but ideally it should really be a left footer playing there. Whatever happens competition is always a good thing, and the return of Aurelio will bring just that.

Quick Reply