Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Charlie Adam
      (2.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (7.3%)
      Stewart Downing
      (1.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      (67.4%)
      Andy Carroll
      (11.9%)
      Jose Enrique
      (8.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (0%)
      Someone else
      (1.6%)

Liverpool 2-1 Wolves: In game and Post Match Discussion

Read 55070 times
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Wolves: In game and Post Match Discussion
      Reply #598: Sep 26, 2011 01:42:55 am
      Interesting fact alert.

Kenny's first season in charge we had 11 points from our opening 6 games and were 4th.

This season we are on 10 points and 5th from our opening 6.

Fairly consistent then.

I'm also pretty sure that United won their first 10 games that season (85/86).  They finished 4th - had the Radio City cassette of the season highlights with big Jan talking about a bet he had with Jesper Olsen about who would finish higher in the league.  Anyway enough of that......

Thought we very played well in parts.  First half was once again very good, and should have again scored more.  Wolves did play better in the 2nd half, after changing their formation, and yet we still continued to create the better chances throughout the game.  No outstanding individual performances for me, but though Carroll had as good a game as he has had for us.  He always offered, dropped deep to get involved and was unfortunate not to score - next week maybe?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #599: Sep 26, 2011 02:25:41 am
      It was good to get the 3 points after a lesson from the Spuds.

We created plenty of chances to win that game by a more convincing score line. There was alot of good link up play moving forward between the likes of Downing, Carrol and Suarez even Enrique when he decided to bomb forward. Two things really stand out for me Adam in midfield with only Lucas in support does not work. He needs 2 workhorses around him not just one and against a stronger midfield we would have been heavily exposed again. Secondly the absence of Agger and our inabillity to bring the ball out of our half from the back and link up with the midfield. Carra sat too deep and allowed the Wolves midfield to have acres of space in our half.

Overall very positive to see us getting results and the 3 points whilst not playing at full capacity and identifying areas for improvement. The sooner we identify and straighten them out the stronger we will be as the season progresses.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #600: Sep 26, 2011 02:28:42 am
      F***ing hell hennesey had a good second half. Our attacking play throughout the game was fantastic, all our playing linked up well I thought.
      Andy as I've said in his thread was great, set up lucas' shot, hit the bar, lovely cross to Suarez, dangerous attacking play.
      Suarez was beast again, tore the wolves defense apart and was unhappy to come off, love his hunger.
      Good for Stevie to get a run, hopefully he can start againstthe bitters, I'm sure that'll be his aim.

The negatives: our defence. Completely shambolic, I wish we hadve bought an experienced central defender in the window, but I'm not gonna complain, still think we need one though as Carra's pace is gone and Skrtel/Agger aren't reliable enough, need some defensive work definitely... They're probably just bamboozled from training against luis though haha
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #601: Sep 26, 2011 09:14:03 am
      Pleased we got the win but some things I couldnt understand.

Gerrard for Suarez - Suarez was our most dangerous player yet he comes off when Adam was totally spent in the middle and being over run by the Wolves midfield.

Strange one that from Kenny and I too was well pissed off that we chose to hold out for the win rather than go for the 3rd and 4th that would have killed the game off.

Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #602: Sep 26, 2011 09:38:48 am
      Ye gerrard for suarezwas a shock alright would have loved to see the pair of them play a bit together.
      I thought we played ok overall but as has been said we look very dodgey at the back. When wolves put a bit of prrssure on it was panic stations. But we won and looked very dangerous going forward. Thought andy played great he seemed to want to shut people up so fair play to him. Roll on the blue sh*te YNWA
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #603: Sep 26, 2011 10:08:34 am
      After two successive defeats, finally we bagged 3 full points!

But it's still the same old story. We were strong in 1st half but we nearly crumbled under pressure during the 2nd half. This was the perfect reversal of what we've experience during Rafa's day;decent show on first then a burst of life during 2nd. Still will be no blame game for me towards any of our lads but there's still some improvements needed to be addressed.

Henderson - He's 20 and still young but he needs to beef up and step up the game a bit. Last two games he seems to be more like a passenger than a squad player. He should build his momentum after scoring his first goal for us, but he stagnated a bit now. But it's not that he'll be stagnate always, just a temporary form glitch from him.

Adam - He need to have more control on the game. Seems like he got everything right during our earlier games but he just faded and now need to up his game.

Carroll - After half decent performances, finally I got to see the real Andy Carroll. But he needs to try not to overdo everything. That last attempt, I thought he's gonna score but he continue to get through every player he can dribble. But anyway one near solid performance that was unlucky it was not capped by a goal or two.

Suarez - F**king hardworking and we understood fully his frustrations. That's is what every Liverpool player need to be.

Gerrard - Still early to judge him, but he's showing back his form.

In all, we just need to maintain our good run throughout 90 minutes. It was kind of frustrated to see them just sit back most of time during the 2nd half. When opposition started to up their game we failed to cope. Remember this is ANFIELD. We don't need to remind you lads with that.

Personally I just didn't agree with Kenny substitution of Suarez. I thought it was Henderson and Adam that should be replaced and brought in Bellamy and Gerrard, but that's just my opinion.

RAFA.....Give it a rest won't ya...
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #604: Sep 26, 2011 10:11:34 am

Have to say Macca8 is spot on with that assessment.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #605: Sep 26, 2011 10:21:31 am
      It actually depresses me mate that even when we win people don't seem happy. After the match I was f**king bouncing. Few hours later and I feel like slitting me wrists. Reading some of this I thought I was back in the Tottenham thread.

Need me head testing I reckon cos I don't live in the same world as most of these la.

Can't believe you take any notice.....from the new generation of playstation,X box kids who watch on their computers and have never even been and are really closet Man U fans with no real understanding of the game except for player management games.....and who say EPL and think the only football is the Champions league....and live far away in countries with no football culture or history and wouldn't even know about L.F.C if it wasn't for ESPN and Murdoch.....(still got sky but don't buy the sun?)...

And think we should just roll over teams they've never heard of......

So why do you care..?

Have to say Macca8 is spot on with that assessment.

Sorry mate.....seen the boys in the 80s and they would crush anything RAFA had to offer...oh yes and while were at it..in Paisley's day and Shankly's  day..etc etc..
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #606: Sep 26, 2011 10:27:27 am
      Red - sorry mate I dont see what your getting at. Why are you stating RAFA in the topic?

I just thought Macca8 assessment of the game was spot on and pretty much what I saw as well.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #607: Sep 26, 2011 10:31:06 am
      Can't believe you take any notice.....from the new generation of playstation,X box kids who watch on their computers and have never even been and are really closet Man U fans with no real understanding of the game except for player management games.....and who say EPL and think the only football is the Champions league....and live far away in countries with no football culture or history and wouldn't even know about L.F.C if it wasn't for ESPN and Murdoch.....(still got sky but don't buy the sun?)...

So why do you care..?
      Mate don't you want to revisit your post? I mean try look into what you wrote and the gravity of your post because i am sure you don't mean to articulate this viewpoint.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #608: Sep 26, 2011 10:40:13 am
      Red - sorry mate I dont see what your getting at. Why are you stating RAFA in the topic?

I just thought Macca8 assessment of the game was spot on and pretty much what I saw as well.

Because Rafa was mentioned in his assessment of the game and so obviously he was comparing like for like....i'm the last person who wants to start a Rafa debate ...i'm not going back down that road ever again but if he is mentioned in terms of performance against Kenny i'll be the first in....and for the record besides the Rafa comment i don't really disagree with anything Macca8 had to say on the game..(see my post match comments)
      Mate don't you want to revisit your post? I mean try look into what you wrote and the gravity of your post because I am sure you don't mean to articulate this viewpoint.

If you explain why....i shall reply.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #609: Sep 26, 2011 11:28:26 am
      If you explain why....I shall reply.
      In your previous post you gave a very sweeping comment about fans from other countries, where according to you they are closet Man U fans with no footballing knowledge and come from countries with no footballing heritage, watch football on their computers and never come to anfield to see games. I feel such a comment is highly inappropriate and does not do justice to those of us who support liverpool from "far away countries". Of course you are privileged because you were born in the city and support the team your ancestors supported and many other liverpool fans worldwide cannot say the same (although i am sure many of them like me are pretty contented about our own origins) however when you say such things you take away the global appeal of the club which is a truly "global brand" in this globalizing and cosmopolitan world. From your post it would appear you would prefer liverpool FC to be restricted to Liverpudlians, for Liverpudlians and no one else and any liverpool fan cannot be a true liverpool fan if they are not from the city. But such a viewpoint would be parochial in my opinion and if such were the case and liverpool FC was only for Liverpudlians than liverpool would be a regional brand and not a world brand. Moreover, such an opinion is totally incorrect because the club is owned by americans and they have no qualms in admitting that their knowledge of the game is not extensive and have said that their attraction towards liverpool was its global appeal and potential. Moreover, the club is an integral part of the city and a major tourist attraction and the tourists who come to spend their money have a big role to play in the local economy. Therefore, i believe you must revisit your viewpoints because not only is it condescending but it is also parochial in outlook.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #610: Sep 26, 2011 12:25:54 pm

So why do you care..?

Well, that is probably the biggest pile of parochial crap I have seen in a long time ...

You also believe that Everton are our biggest rivals, and once we beat them, our season is a success ?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1545 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #611: Sep 26, 2011 12:26:57 pm
      There's so much wrong with this post on so many levels I wouldn't dream of picking it apart.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #612: Sep 26, 2011 12:36:44 pm
      Red Horizon I'm one of the fake fans from far away who recently went to anfield from Australia for the wolves game. I'm happy to say all the fans in the kop welcomed me and I indeed met some awesome people.

None of them had the w**ker elitist attitude that you have.I learnt that most are more then happy to have a beer and a chat with people from far away rather then be snobby.
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #613: Sep 26, 2011 12:49:17 pm
      Not been able to see the highlights yet but have been told by a mate that Suarez wasn't best pleased at being subbed. My mate also reckons that Suarez kicked out at water bottle as he went off. Can anyone tell me if this true or if its just being blown up out of proportion.
      Have to admit last couple of times i've seen him, he has seemed pissed off at being subbed.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #614: Sep 26, 2011 12:49:24 pm
      Well, that is probably the biggest pile of parochial crap I have seen in a long time ...

You also believe that Everton are our biggest rivals, and once we beat them, our season is a success ?

Well for many people that live and work in the City this is the biggest game of the season and always has been.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #615: Sep 26, 2011 01:01:23 pm
      Well for many people that live and work in the City this is the biggest game of the season and always has been.

Mate don't try explaining it. If it's not Man United, it doesn't matter. That's the mindset of several Liverpool fans now.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #616: Sep 26, 2011 01:06:58 pm
      its getting more and more diffiuclt not to answer some posters with a barrage of abuse.Things have changed so much these days the title of "most educated fans" cannot be seriously applied to us anymore.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #617: Sep 26, 2011 01:10:13 pm

Wait until 17/10/11, I'll be banging on about our last European cup winning manager all day!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #618: Sep 26, 2011 01:10:19 pm
      its getting more and more diffiuclt not to answer some posters with a barrage of abuse.Things have changed so much these days the title of "most educated fans" cannot be seriously applied to us anymore.

Certainly isn't the Liverpool fan base I grew up with.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #619: Sep 26, 2011 01:16:02 pm
      Wait until 17/10/11, I'll be banging on about our last European cup winning manager all day!

Huyton are you going to an audience with rafa?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #620: Sep 26, 2011 01:17:06 pm
      Huyton are you going to an audience with rafa?

;)

Quick Reply