Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Buying a new PC

Read 5093 times
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Buying a new PC
      Sep 24, 2011 06:54:24 pm
      I realised that my PC is slow as F**k, so I decided to buy a new one.

I'm not very good with computers, so can you help me to choose a good PC? I mainly use the PC for gaming.

I'm thinking about getting one of these:

This one is the most expensive:
      IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-2500 3.30Ghz (Sand Bridge) / 6 GB DDR3 / 1000GB / GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit / DVD+-RW LS /

IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-2310 2.90Ghz (Sand Bridge) / 6GB DDR3 / 2 TB / GeForce GTX 550 1GB / DVD+-RW /

This one is the cheapset:
      IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-2310 2.90Ghz (Sand Bridge) / 4GB DDR3 / 1000GB / GeForce GTS 450 1GB / DVD+-RW /
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Re: Buying a new PC
      Reply #1: Sep 24, 2011 10:20:33 pm
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2: Sep 24, 2011 11:38:47 pm
      If you're looking to use it for games/entertainment purposes remember to get a quality monitor! It really makes a difference having a quality hi res screen.

Those Sandy Bridge processors are the newest out from Intel Core, which is why they are so expensive.

What's the price difference between those you've listed mate?
      Bier
      Reply #3: Sep 25, 2011 01:43:04 am
      For me the best way to go about this has always been to first establish how much you are willing to spend. And then try and find the best system for that maximum price. There's always better systems around, for more money.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #4: Sep 25, 2011 01:49:43 am
      Ov3rdose, what's your budget? I could probably help you out here.

If you're looking to use it for games/entertainment purposes remember to get a quality monitor! It really makes a difference having a quality hi res screen.

Those Sandy Bridge processors are the newest out from Intel Core, which is why they are so expensive.

What's the price difference between those you've listed mate?

They're not expensive at all - in fact the i5 2500k is Ā£160, which is very cheap for a quad-core very high-end processor these days.

If you want expensive, look at the Core i7 3960x, or the Core i7 980x/990x. Ā£1000 a pop, mate.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #5: Sep 25, 2011 05:41:29 am
      Mention your approximate budget mate, that is the first step towards buying the PC.

Out of the 3 choices that you've mentioned, I'd say go for the 1st one. Faster processor and better Video Card. As for the space, you can always buy an external hard-drive for a minimal amount, although I don't know what you will do with 2 TB. :D
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #6: Sep 25, 2011 09:11:18 am
      I only have about 500 pounds to spend. The first PC costs 1900lt (about 475 pounds). And the last one costs 1500lt (about 375 pounds. And I don't really want to built a PC, since most of the parts are much more expensive here than in England.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #7: Sep 25, 2011 09:39:37 am
      That is pretty awesome config. for 500pounds ( comparing with Indian prices ).

If you are ready to spend upto 500, why not go for the first one itself? Its very good and should last you some good years.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #8: Sep 25, 2011 10:19:56 am
      Simple answer...don't!
      Buy a mac.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #9: Sep 25, 2011 12:35:23 pm
      Simple answer...don't!
      Buy a mac.

Yeah... no. I tried to laugh, but it was too bad a joke.

Macs are inferior to PCs in almost every way. You're paying for the name, and not for the OS - which is supremely outdated compared to Windows 7 & 8.

Macs can't play most games, and seem to have an inability to copy and paste certain stuff.

I only have about 500 pounds to spend. The first PC costs 1900lt (about 475 pounds). And the last one costs 1500lt (about 375 pounds. And I don't really want to built a PC, since most of the parts are much more expensive here than in England.

I urge you to go for the first configuration - the most expensive. I haven't seen a setup like that for that price anywhere, ever.

Although if you can, add an extra 2GB of RAM, OR, take away 2GB of RAM.

LGA1155 (Sandy Bridge) accomodates four RAM slots - so I can't understand why they'd put 6GB in there (3 x 2GB). The communication between the RAM would be slower than if there were 2 x 4GB, due to it using one dual channel, and and single channel (1 DIMM working by itself working with the CPU, then 2 DIMMs working with each other and the CPU).

jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #10: Sep 25, 2011 05:43:45 pm
      Yeah... no. I tried to laugh, but it was too bad a joke.

Macs are inferior to PCs in almost every way. You're paying for the name, and not for the OS - which is supremely outdated compared to Windows 7 & 8.

Macs can't play most games, and seem to have an inability to copy and paste certain stuff.

Have to disagree with some parts. If you want quality, sleekness and pure fun to use PC, go for mac.

Yes it isn't compatible with most games and software since it isn't as wide and universal a platform as windows.
      But to call it inferior to Windows is plainly...outrageous. :laugh:

It is much more advanced and full of quality compared to windows. But compatibility is a big problem, yes.

I urge you to go for the first configuration - the most expensive. I haven't seen a setup like that for that price anywhere, ever.

Although if you can, add an extra 2GB of RAM, OR, take away 2GB of RAM.

LGA1155 (Sandy Bridge) accomodates four RAM slots - so I can't understand why they'd put 6GB in there (3 x 2GB). The communication between the RAM would be slower than if there were 2 x 4GB, due to it using one dual channel, and and single channel (1 DIMM working by itself working with the CPU, then 2 DIMMs working with each other and the CPU).

Agree with this.

I didn't know it was 3 RAMs of 2gb each. If you can, opt for one of 4gb and one of 2gb. As you mentioned correctly, 3 RAMs will perform slower than 2 RAMs hence he should go for the 2 RAMs option even if it costs a bit more.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #11: Sep 25, 2011 06:36:59 pm
      I found a PC which is the same like the one with 6GB RAM, but it has 4GB RAM, and it looks nicer.

Here's it's full specs:

Intel® Core™ CORE I5-2500 3.3 GHZ, 6 MB cache, 4 cores
      4 GB DDR3 1333MHZ in dual channel mode
      Intel® H67 Express
      1 TB 7200 RPM SATAII/III
      DVD-RW 22X Dual Layer
      nVidia GeForce GTX 560 PCIE 1024MB 256 bit 2X DVI+HDMI
      Supports: CF (Compact Flash) I and II; MD (Micro Drive); SM (Smart Media); SD (Secure Disk); MMC (Multimedia Card); MS (Memory Stick); IBM micro drive.
      Realtek RTL8102EL Gigabit Ethernet
      8 Channel High-Definition
      Midi ATX 500W (or more)

If I would want to add more RAM, would I have to add 2GB x 2? Or is 4GB RAM enough?

And would this PC be able to run all the new games?
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #12: Sep 25, 2011 07:08:41 pm
      I found a PC which is the same like the one with 6GB RAM, but it has 4GB RAM, and it looks nicer.

Here's it's full specs:

IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ CORE I5-2500 3.3 GHZ, 6 MB cache, 4 cores
      4 GB DDR3 1333MHZ in dual channel mode
      IntelĀ® H67 Express
      1 TB 7200 RPM SATAII/III
      DVD-RW 22X Dual Layer
      nVidia GeForce GTX 560 PCIE 1024MB 256 bit 2X DVI+HDMI
      Supports: CF (Compact Flash) I and II; MD (Micro Drive); SM (Smart Media); SD (Secure Disk); MMC (Multimedia Card); MS (Memory Stick); IBM micro drive.
      Realtek RTL8102EL Gigabit Ethernet
      8 Channel High-Definition
      Midi ATX 500W (or more)

If I would want to add more RAM, would I have to add 2GB x 2? Or is 4GB RAM enough?

And would this PC be able to run all the new games?

Yes that is pretty good config, although I still think you should rather go with 6gb instead of 4. But that depends on how ou want to use it too. If you're into hardcore gaming, you should go for a 6gb one. Games like Modern Warfare 3 will already be requiring a 3gb RAM so its better to take a 6gb now itself rather than keep adding later on.

If you want to add RAM, you can add a 2gb one to make it 6 or a 4gb one to make it 8gb.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Sep 25, 2011 11:00:10 pm
      Yes that is pretty good config, although I still think you should rather go with 6gb instead of 4. But that depends on how ou want to use it too. If you're into hardcore gaming, you should go for a 6gb one. Games like Modern Warfare 3 will already be requiring a 3gb RAM so its better to take a 6gb now itself rather than keep adding later on.

If you want to add RAM, you can add a 2gb one to make it 6 or a 4gb one to make it 8gb.

You are so wrong on the RAM that I can't even begin to explain.

If he's going to add RAM it HAS to be another 2x 2GB, or remove the 2x 2GB in there and put 2x 4GB in.

Like I said on my previous post, it's stupid to have 6GB in dual channel, as there'd be a stick by itself and the RAM wouldn't communicate with each other as they should do. This in turn slows the PC down MAJORLY, and it's incredibly noticeable when multi-tasking.

As for adding a 4GB to 2 2GB sticks, that's just worse. Different sizes of RAM trying to interact with an already interlinked 2xGB dual channel. Big-nono.

Ov3rdose, see if you can switch that H67 motherboard for a P67 or Z68 motherboard. They're better, have more features and are more reliable.

Also, that power supply will fail you in about a month. Maybe two. Give or take a few weeks. And it might take the whole PC with it.

You need a reliable power supply. Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, Silverstone all make good power supplies.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #14: Sep 26, 2011 04:20:49 pm
      Also, that power supply will fail you in about a month. Maybe two. Give or take a few weeks. And it might take the whole PC with it.

You need a reliable power supply. Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, Silverstone all make good power supplies.
      Is the power supply too weak or something? I never leave the PC on for more than a day, if that helps.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #15: Sep 26, 2011 04:49:30 pm
      You are so wrong on the RAM that I can't even begin to explain.

If he's going to add RAM it HAS to be another 2x 2GB, or remove the 2x 2GB in there and put 2x 4GB in.

Like I said on my previous post, it's stupid to have 6GB in dual channel, as there'd be a stick by itself and the RAM wouldn't communicate with each other as they should do. This in turn slows the PC down MAJORLY, and it's incredibly noticeable when multi-tasking.

As for adding a 4GB to 2 2GB sticks, that's just worse. Different sizes of RAM trying to interact with an already interlinked 2xGB dual channel. Big-nono.

Just had a read on the internet and apparently both yours and mine view was wrong. Supposedly 2 RAMs are faster than a single RAM. In the sense, its better to have 2x 4gb RAMs than 1x 8gb RAM. This is because both of them can be used in parallel, hence fastening the speed of the required work. Its called dual channel mode.

As for your thinking that 1x 4gb and 1x 2gb RAM wouldn't work together nicely and "majorly" slow down the computer, sorry but you're plainly wrong there. There's nothing wrong with using two different memory RAMs with each other. As long as they have the same specifications ( frequency etc. ) there's absolutely no problem in doing that. I have no idea where you got that ideology.

In such a case, a the 2gb will combine with 2gb of the other RAM forming a dual channel mode whereas the other 2gb will perform singularly.
      It doesn't slow it down in any way, let alone "majorly". ;)

Even all major brands use 6gb dual channel if you care to see their websites, so there should be no problem with it.

I am myself using 2 laptops one of 4gb ( 2x 2gb ) and one of 6gb ( 4+2gb ). Trust me the 6gb one is much faster and doesn't slow down the comp. at all.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #16: Sep 26, 2011 11:10:03 pm
      Is the power supply too weak or something? I never leave the PC on for more than a day, if that helps.

It's not too weak, it'll just fail on you like all crappy power supplies do. You need a power supply that's "80 plus" rated.

Just had a read on the internet and apparently both yours and mine view was wrong. Supposedly 2 RAMs are faster than a single RAM. In the sense, its better to have 2x 4gb RAMs than 1x 8gb RAM. This is because both of them can be used in parallel, hence fastening the speed of the required work. Its called dual channel mode.

As for your thinking that 1x 4gb and 1x 2gb RAM wouldn't work together nicely and "majorly" slow down the computer, sorry but you're plainly wrong there. There's nothing wrong with using two different memory RAMs with each other. As long as they have the same specifications ( frequency etc. ) there's absolutely no problem in doing that. I have no idea where you got that ideology.

In such a case, a the 2gb will combine with 2gb of the other RAM forming a dual channel mode whereas the other 2gb will perform singularly.
      It doesn't slow it down in any way, let alone "majorly". ;)

Even all major brands use 6gb dual channel if you care to see their websites, so there should be no problem with it.

I am myself using 2 laptops one of 4gb ( 2x 2gb ) and one of 6gb ( 4+2gb ). Trust me the 6gb one is much faster and doesn't slow down the comp. at all.

Once again, you're wrong.

I said it takes affect when you're multitasking, and have several apps open at the same time - which most users do.

Communication between the dual channel and single channel is slow in comparison to two dual channels. It's as simple as that.

And yes, I do know what dual channel is. And no, major brands don't do 6GB dual channel kits, they do 6GB triple-channel kits. That's for X58 chipsets that have 6 RAM slots.

Please research this before replying.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17: Sep 27, 2011 01:53:05 am
      Just gone and brought a Z5761 Core i3 4Gb 1Tb 23in All-in-One Touch Screen Desktop, my laptop is dying on me, had no real choice.  Got it on tick, but if I pay it off by November next year, I'll have no interest to pay.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #18: Sep 27, 2011 09:33:47 am
      Just gone and brought a Z5761 Core i3 4Gb 1Tb 23in All-in-One Touch Screen Desktop, my laptop is dying on me, had no real choice.  Got it on tick, but if I pay it off by November next year, I'll have no interest to pay.
      My old man has a touch screen pc at his pub. To be honest, the novelty wore off pretty quickly and I just use the mouse. Nice not having a tower though.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #19: Sep 27, 2011 03:37:32 pm
      Is this power supply good?

http://www.corsair.com/hx650w.html

And what is the best way to transfer files from the old PC to the new one?
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #20: Sep 27, 2011 04:21:55 pm
      Corsair PSU's are some of the most reliable around.

Better asking Res in regards to the watts, think it depends what your going to be using your PC for. Gaming PC's usually require a higher wattage, in which case 650 W I think would be fine.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #21: Sep 27, 2011 04:37:56 pm
      Once again, you're wrong.

I said it takes affect when you're multitasking, and have several apps open at the same time - which most users do.

And yes, I do know what dual channel is. And no, major brands don't do 6GB dual channel kits, they do 6GB triple-channel kits. That's for X58 chipsets that have 6 RAM slots.

I'll give you that. Got your point about the dual channels and understood it.

But as far as I know, and I can tell you from my own experience, there's is no slowing down in multitasking. None. Infact I am using a 6gb lappy now, multitasking ( have 5 apps open at the moment ) and I'm not experiencing any slowing down.

Communication between the dual channel and single channel is slow in comparison to two dual channels. It's as simple as that.

Ofcourse. I never argued that.

Actually you can't compare the two. I mean one dual channel and one single channel will get you RAM combos like 3gb(2+1) or 6gb(4+2) whereas 2 dual channels will get u 4gb (2x1gb + 2x1gb) or 8gb(2x2gb + 2x2gb) which is mathematically greater than the previous ones, so there's no comparison itself. The 2 dual channels option automatically becomes fast because of more RAM.

What I argued is you saying that getting 6gb is pointless as it slows down the computer. It doesn't slow it down in any way. If you compare it with 8gb, ofcourse it is slower!!

But IF you're trying to say that it will be slower than 4gb because 4gb will form a dual channel whereas in 6gb there'll be an extra single channel communication, then that is wrong. That was all I said.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #22: Sep 27, 2011 11:57:22 pm
      Is this power supply good?

http://www.corsair.com/hx650w.html

And what is the best way to transfer files from the old PC to the new one?

Perfect power supply, possibly one of the best.

Transferring files? Probably just hooking up the HDD to a SATA port on the motherboard and routing it as an internal drive.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #23: Sep 28, 2011 12:08:01 pm
      You could just buy and external hard drive.
      Would be a good way to back up your files while you're at it.
      iomega do some good ones.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #24: Sep 28, 2011 12:12:28 pm
      You could just buy and external hard drive.
      Would be a good way to back up your files while you're at it.
      iomega do some good ones.

No point, easier and cheaper just hooking his old HDD up.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #25: Oct 02, 2011 06:01:17 pm
      HP Pavilion dv6-6157ea

Featuring Genuine WindowsĀ® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
      IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-2630QM processor
      6GB memory for fast and efficient performance
      750GB Hard drive for storing all your digital files
      39.6 cm (15.6") High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display
      AMD Radeon HD 6490M Graphics
      Finished in Steel Grey Metal
      1 year, pick-up and return, parts and labour
      Featuring Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and an Integrated Webcam & Microphone, ideal for social networking and communications
      Includes Beatsā„¢ sound system

Yay/nay? Ā£849
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #26: Oct 03, 2011 07:55:08 am
      HP Pavilion dv6-6157ea

Featuring Genuine WindowsĀ® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
      IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-2630QM processor
      6GB memory for fast and efficient performance
      750GB Hard drive for storing all your digital files
      39.6 cm (15.6") High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display
      AMD Radeon HD 6490M Graphics
      Finished in Steel Grey Metal
      1 year, pick-up and return, parts and labour
      Featuring Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and an Integrated Webcam & Microphone, ideal for social networking and communications
      Includes Beatsā„¢ sound system

Yay/nay? Ā£849
      Sounds good but is it the same as this one? I've only had a quick read through but can't see any difference and this one is Ā£629.99.
      http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-HP-HP-DV6-6157-Laptop/770612?cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Feed-_-Laptops-_-770612_Hp__HP_DV6-6157&_$ja=tsid:8360%7Ccc:%7Cprd:HP+DV6-6157%7Ccat:Laptops
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #27: Oct 03, 2011 09:22:32 am
      Cheers Rep... if they deliver to Ireland I'm sorted. Just need Res' help to see if it's 3x 2gb ram sticks or one 2 and one 4. Seems like a great laptop from the specs anyway.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #28: Oct 06, 2011 12:48:38 am
      Doesn't matter what the RAM is - I explained it before and I got "corrected" every single time by people who quite obviously know better, so I won't bother helping people with that anymore.

What is this laptop for? Does it have to be a laptop? Can it be a desktop? Would you be willing and prepared to build your own? What is your budget?

Just trying to help you get more for less here.

If it's for gaming I could probably help you build a high-end desktop for about Ā£700. If it's for college work and sh*t like that, then that laptop would be okay but I don't see the need for a quad-core processor.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #29: Oct 06, 2011 12:50:09 am

Oh God, don't go with Comet, Currys or PC World - they rip you off to F**k for what you get.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #30: Oct 06, 2011 07:00:29 am
      Just for general use really. Was also looking at the iPad 2 but I'd get sick of typing on a touchscreen.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #31: Oct 06, 2011 07:05:38 am
      Quote from Reslivo
      Oh God, don't go with Comet, Currys or PC World - they rip you off to F**k for what you get.

I agree and normally wouldn't go anywhere near the places but I can't see any difference between these 2 systems and it's much cheaper. Unless I've missed something, I didn't spend too long reading them.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      Reply #32: Oct 06, 2011 07:17:23 am
      Doesn't matter what the RAM is - I explained it before and I got "corrected" every single time by people who quite obviously know better, so I won't bother helping people with that anymore.

Cheeky. ;)
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #33: Oct 06, 2011 12:36:17 pm
      I agree and normally wouldn't go anywhere near the places but I can't see any difference between these 2 systems and it's much cheaper. Unless I've missed something, I didn't spend too long reading them.

Yeah, but it makes me think that IO's first link was a rip-off to begin with.

Which, by looking at the specs, it actually seems to be.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Oct 06, 2011 02:14:35 pm

Where do you buy your equipment Res?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #35: Oct 06, 2011 03:09:19 pm
      Just cancelled my order, my laptop sputtered back into full working order last night, no problems except the battery now, if I can nurse it through to the new year/late spring and then look again, I will.
      « Last Edit: Oct 06, 2011 03:26:06 pm by Roddenberry »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #36: Oct 06, 2011 06:42:32 pm
      Where do you buy your equipment Res?

Overclockers.co.uk store, eBuyer.com, dabs.com, scan.com, aria.co.uk

All decent, cheap online retailers.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: Oct 06, 2011 07:25:32 pm
      Thanks
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #38: Oct 06, 2011 07:46:48 pm
      I'm pretty lucky in that respect because Overclockers is about 3 miles from my house. Now if I just had some money.... haha.

Quick Reply