Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Club or Country?

Read 4448 times
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Club or Country?
      Sep 26, 2011 02:25:24 am
      Just a question, to understand you guys better
      Would you prefer to win the CL final against ManU, or the WC final against your biggest rivals(France I suppose for the English?)

The point is Club or Country? Who makes you prouder, who makes you cry?
      I know i can cry for my club, but never quite felt that way for may national team.
      Club is more important in my country, more important that anything. You can change religion, wife,political views, pretty much everything, but not your club,

How do you guys feel?

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Club or Country?
      Reply #1: Sep 26, 2011 02:28:30 am
      Not even a hard choice for me, club.  I refuse to watch internationals during the league season & I'm not overly fussed in the off-season, but if all friendlies, qualifiers & tournaments were moved to the off-season, it may increase my interest.
      Bier
      Reply #2: Sep 26, 2011 02:39:17 am
      What I've noticed is that many Scousers seem to not feel like they're English, or feel that they are a part of England? Many certainly don't seem to care much about the national team either. I've thought about this before, and thought that maybe this is because Liverpool with it's history is kind of a melting pot of different nationalities? I'm interested to know how people from Liverpool view this.

For me they're totally different experiences, but I'd say it's fairly even. What I like about our national team, is that during tournaments it turns my country completely upside down.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Sep 26, 2011 07:54:06 am
      This thread is F***ing hilarious if your Australian. Win the World Cup against New Zealand in the final of the WC? In 2148 maybe.

CL againost ManU please and thank you.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Sep 26, 2011 09:42:45 am
      This thread is F***ing hilarious if your Australian. Win the World Cup against New Zealand in the final of the WC? In 2148 maybe.
      :lmao:

Mate, it's not all that different if you're English, we just hype the team up more!!

Absolutely club before country for me! I couldn't care less about England other than hoping that our players return from the match with no injuries. I hate it when we have a week off from domestic football so that we can play internationals.

...or the WC final against your biggest rivals(France I suppose for the English?)
      It might make less sense geographically but our biggest 'rivals' will always be Germany.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #5: Sep 26, 2011 10:04:05 am
      This thread is f**king hilarious if your Australian. Win the World Cup against New Zealand in the final of the WC? In 2148 maybe.
      :lmao:
      I hate it when we have a week off from domestic football so that we can play internationals.
      This.

However I can also see it from a players perspective, the chance to represent your national team is a great honour and one that I would relish if I was a player. As a lot of players, whilst yes they will respect/enjoy playing for Liverpool mightn't be Liverpool fans (e.g. Carroll) however being English means that you are representing your country, your family and your friends.
      If I was a player I'd definitely play for my country when given the chance, but would retire from international team early (before 28) to focus on club as club still comes first.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #6: Sep 26, 2011 10:22:38 am
      My club is my country ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7: Sep 26, 2011 12:54:27 pm
      Kloob, kloob, kloob, kloob, kloob, kloob.

England can kiss my fat arse, so can 'arry when he takes over. While they're at it they can stop taking our lads and injuring them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Sep 26, 2011 01:09:24 pm
      I love my country but in terms of football Id rather see Liverpool win the Johnstons paint trophy then Ireland win the world cup
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #9: Sep 26, 2011 01:15:00 pm

It might make less sense geographically but our biggest 'rivals' will always be Germany.
      Right, but i always tought you hated the french even more!.

So far, most of you would prefer to see your club win it all.

This thread is f**king hilarious if your Australian. Win the World Cup against New Zealand in the final of the WC? In 2148 maybe.

Well,it is a  hypothetical question
      So, Liverpool winning  would make you happier than Australia winning? 

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #10: Sep 26, 2011 04:21:23 pm
      Liverpool all day, every day. I hate the Socceroos.

However in a few years that may change when the wankers such as Cahill, Kewell, Neill and Holman decide to F**k off from the face of the earth.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #11: Sep 26, 2011 04:41:34 pm
      The Irish soccer team is half English anyway but I absolutely love our rugby team. All down to earth, hard working pros who actually mingle with fans.

Especially the munster players. They actually go to the same pub as the fans so you feel closer to the team.

I'm still a way bigger Liverpool fan but I feel bad picking them over my country sometimes. Proud to be Irish aswel though :)
      LFCexiled
      Re: Chelsea bummer or Country?
      Reply #12: Sep 26, 2011 05:14:09 pm
      I'm still a way bigger Chelsea fan but I feel bad picking them over Liverpool sometimes. Proud to be plastic aswell though :)

:o

>:D

;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #13: Sep 26, 2011 05:17:56 pm

I read that quickly exiled and thought pglynn had finally come clean ;D
      LFCexiled
      Reply #14: Sep 26, 2011 05:36:12 pm

I read that quickly exiled and thought pglynn had finally come clean ;D

Nah, that lads so far in the closet he watches the match with Mr Tumnus.

;D
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #15: Sep 26, 2011 05:44:08 pm
      Club.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #16: Sep 26, 2011 05:48:32 pm
      This thread is f**king hilarious if your Australian.

Not as funny as I feel. My country will never qualify for the WC before I die.

And yeah, I am 25. :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #17: Sep 26, 2011 05:52:28 pm
      It could be funnier than being Australian but i just loved the prospect of seeing the flags of Australia and New Zealand walked out and the commentator saying 'Welcome to the coverage of the 2148 World Cup final between...Australia and New Zealand!'

The South Americans would roll in their graves, the Europeans would claim some sort of ownership and everyone in the two countries represented wouldn't give two shits an hour later because they'd be piss drunk and near passed out.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #18: Sep 26, 2011 05:56:27 pm
      they'd be piss drunk and near passed out.

I agree with this because the number of litres of beer (average) the world drinks in an year is 27 litres and the corresponding figure for an Aussie is 84 litres.

Wish I had that capability. ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #19: Sep 26, 2011 06:06:12 pm
      I think i drank that much the past two nights!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #20: Sep 26, 2011 06:14:15 pm
      When the England team had good honest men playing they were the pinacle of football and for a footballer the highest accolade was a cap.But know money is king and playing in the EPL or the CL is far more lucrative than playing for England.
      added to which having just vented my spleen watching Ferdinand or Rooney I cant then turn around and cheer them it just doesnt work.
      So since about 1978 its been club fist club second club always.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #21: Sep 26, 2011 06:53:40 pm
      I hate the England team, full of arrogant over rated pricks. Call me unpatriotic but I actually like seeing England lose, the disappointed faces of Fat Frank, Cashley, Rio and Rooney puts a smile on my face. I prefer LFC 1 billion times more than England.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #22: Sep 26, 2011 07:15:54 pm
      It could be funnier than being Australian but i just loved the prospect of seeing the flags of Australia and New Zealand walked out and the commentator saying 'Welcome to the coverage of the 2148 World Cup final between...Australia and New Zealand!'

The South Americans would roll in their graves, the Europeans would claim some sort of ownership and everyone in the two countries represented wouldn't give two shits an hour later because they'd be piss drunk and near passed out.

Most of the English would support New Zealand, just to piss the Aussie's off, but yeah that would be a funny scenario.

Or to piss the English off even further, a World Cup Final with Ireland v Scotland, yeah I know unlikely, but let them dream ;)

Quick Reply