Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 682129 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Player Thread
      Reply #161: May 30, 2008 04:16:04 pm
      Id rather him follow Carras example and retire.. reason being is England is full of Manure knobheads
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #162: May 30, 2008 04:51:16 pm
      Happy Birthday to Stevie G today
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #163: May 30, 2008 07:00:18 pm
      Stevie g to retire from England duties ? well thats up to him, but it would be better for liverpool fc  just look at Carra. Oh and happy birthday Stveie.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #164: May 30, 2008 09:17:59 pm
      If Stevie retired from England they would struggle to make the next world cup so it wont happen, at least not until the next WC has been settled...Happy Birthday Captain Fantastic...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #165: May 30, 2008 09:19:00 pm
      he wont retire from international until after the 2010 world cup
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #166: May 31, 2008 01:16:14 pm
      True he wont retire yet, i thnk he's hoping for some england success under capellos management.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #167: May 31, 2008 09:20:25 pm
      If Stevie retired from England they would struggle to make the next world cup so it wont happen
      aye, just like they struggled to get to Euro 2008.

still mustn't grumble....Trinidad and Tobago islanders are there for the beating tonight.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #168: Jun 08, 2008 06:48:13 pm
      http://football-corner.blogspot.com/2008/06/liverpool-star-linked-with-30-million.html

Liverpool star linked with £30 million exit... surely he won't leave?

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard has today been linked with a £30 million exit to Serie A giants Inter Milan after Jose Mourinho apparently made him his number one target. (news of the world) The former Chelsea boss has been told he would be wasting his time making a bid for the England international.

Gerrard has been linked with several moves away from Liverpool in the past, with Jose Mourinho apparently very close to signing him back in 2005 whilst Chelsea boss. The 28-year old stated back then that he wanted to stay at Liverpool for life, and with everything going so well now with his partnership with Fernando Torres I have no doubts he will stay at Anfield.

I feel it is vital for the future of Liverpool that Gerrard remains a part of it because without Gerrard I think many more would probably want to leave. He is Liverpool football club and I think £30 million wouldn't even be close to what Gerrard is really worth, so Gerrard to Inter, no way Jose.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___________________

Interesting piece. Not the Murinho wanting Gerrard news, but the highlighted bit.

Key Comment: "I feel it is vital for the future of Liverpool that Gerrard remains a part of it because without Gerrard I think many more would probably want to leave. He is Liverpool Football club........."

Is Steve Gerrard Liverpool FC in the context that is implied in the highlighted text?

I think, personally, being a Gerrard-head myself, that he is very key to the Liverpool game and winning formula; I agree that besides Gerrard you may be able to name only one or two, at most, other players at his 'vital' level!

But is Gerrard Liverpool FC?

I, for one, does not subscribe to the notion that any individual can be so strong and important that his exit totally throw the club in disarray.

If Gerrard were to leave today, he would be missed, but his shoes, will be filled and other players wont file out after him.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #169: Jun 08, 2008 06:57:51 pm
      Mate, don't worry about paper talk.
      If Gerrard was to go anywhere, he'd say so himself.

Inter may or may not of offered £30m for him, but they know themselves it won't be nowhere near enough to buy him.
      It'll just be a story to big up Mourinho and to portray him to the supporters of his intensions.

There would be numerous clubs in for Gerrard, if it were true about £30m able to buy him.

Gerrard will be at Anfield next season.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #170: Jun 08, 2008 07:00:59 pm
      Mate, don't worry about paper talk.
      If Gerrard was to go anywhere, he'd say so himself.

Inter may or may not of offered £30m for him, but they know themselves it won't be nowhere near enough to buy him.
      It'll just be a story to big up Mourinho and to portray him to the supporters of his intensions.

There would be numerous clubs in for Gerrard, if it were true about £30m able to buy him.

Gerrard will be at Anfield next season.

Actually, I was more interested in the comment that ''Gerrard is Liverpool''. Gerrard wont leave LFC.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #171: Jun 08, 2008 11:16:25 pm
      He wont be leaving, if Jose does approach him or the club then he will be told in no uncertain terms to do one
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #172: Jun 08, 2008 11:31:07 pm
      This another of Mourinho's tricks. When he arrived at Chelsea he wanted Gerrard but ended up with Essien saying he's been his number one choice all along, same this time. I've seen people saying Essien is top of his wish list. It's just another try by that arrogant tw*t Mourinho to get under the skin of Gerrard. Pathetic.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #173: Jun 09, 2008 10:26:52 am
      Gerrard is our best player but Gerrard is liverpool isnt really a fair comment in my opinion, i can see why people say it, due to him being liverpool through and through as well as being the clubs best player it draws that comment from alot of people but i do think if that just comes from the whole if you mention liverpool to someone they will often think of gerrard. The same goes for if you mention arsenal people will think of Francesc Fabregas although he obviously doesnt have the history with arsenal that stevie has with liverpool. 

I dont think any player is liverpool, but players like stevie, carragher, Hyypia are very big parts of the club especially the former two due to them being from liverpool. Hyypia might aswell have been born in liverpool haha he's such a legend and has been here for so long, been such a great player for the club and in my opinion he is most certainly the most underrated player i've seen play in the premiership, whenever i hear praise of Centre backs in the premiership his name doesnt seem to pop up and yet people who havent done half as much as him such as john terry seem to always pop up. Gerrard will be considered liverpools main man as long as he is playing i think, due to the impact he has at the club, he's the best player, captain, a homegrown player and has been through so much with the club, winning the premiership will only improve upon that and to be fair he is arguably the clubs best ever player depending on if people think he has passed king kenny or not.

He will never leave and the one thing i want to see is for him to be able to hold the premiership above his head as captain before he hangs up his boots. If any player deserves it he does. Our whole team wants it so much but i think Gerrard, Carragher and Sami want it most due to the length of time they have been with the club.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #174: Jun 09, 2008 10:37:42 am
      Actually, I was more interested in the comment that ''Gerrard is Liverpool''.
      yes, that type of attitude, which has been around for many years, is not only untrue, but also extremely disrespectful of the rest of our players, and what our great club's history is built upon.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #175: Jun 09, 2008 04:11:56 pm

Great post lil cisse, the thing is people do take the notion of Gerrard being MR Liverpool too far sometimes, but for the Innocent neutral fan one can understand he's always there when we need him.  He's in all the previews in our successes a great player and deserves the premiership.  Another thing Hyppia can not be praised enough the guy is a legend and just gets on with it.  Personally, think that if he was in the team 25 years ago he would be finding himself in the team with competition like Hanson and Lawrence.  The guy's had opportunities to go and play for teams like Madrid, but has stuck by the team he loves the most.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #176: Jun 09, 2008 04:24:59 pm
      Gerrard is the new Father of Liverpool. And the old Father was Shankly.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #177: Jun 09, 2008 05:59:30 pm
      Gerrard is the new Father of Liverpool. And the old Father was Shankly.
      Gerrard and Shankly are like oil and water.

Shankly believed in a sea of red.

Gerrard believes in a sea of me.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #178: Jun 09, 2008 07:00:40 pm

I disagree with you mate. Gerrard ranks with the likes of Sammy Hyypia, Robbie Fowler, John Barnes, Ian Rush, King Kenny Dalglish, Roger Hunt, & Billy Liddell. He is a player who has given his all to the Club.

Glad we have him. The best Captain yet!
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #179: Jun 10, 2008 01:51:10 am
      I disagree with you mate. Gerrard ranks with the likes of Sammy Hyypia, Robbie Fowler, John Barnes, Ian Rush, King Kenny Dalglish, Roger Hunt, & Billy Liddell. He is a player who has given his all to the Club.

Glad we have him. The best Captain yet!
      I disagree mate.

He's the very opposite of everything that the likes of Shankly and Paisley (and our great teams of the past) were about.

The team comes first.....an individual comes way down the list.

Bob Paisley, in interviews after games, always refused to talk about individual players. 
      LPJD
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts | -2 
      Reply #180: Jun 13, 2008 04:58:26 pm
      Gerrard exceeds sometimes so far we dont know how its possible.his shots his passing hes heart.. hes pure class and he'll be a liverpool legend forever.:)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #181: Jun 13, 2008 05:30:53 pm

Disagree wholeheartedly! The number 8 will never be the same because of Gerrard. That is a sacred number in Liverpool history now and forever.

He is the epitome of what it means to play for Liverpool.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #182: Jun 13, 2008 05:48:46 pm
      Disagree wholeheartedly! The number 8 will never be the same because of Gerrard. That is a sacred number in Liverpool history now and forever.

He is the epitome of what it means to play for Liverpool.
      for the nintendo/EA Sports generation, yes.

for those of us brought up on a generation of dominating england/europe, then no......he's exactly the opposite of what we were about. 

Any team that has a captain marvel in it's midst will struggle to win leagues (e.g. bryan robson at man utd; steven gerrard at liverpool).

Great TEAMS win leagues.  TEAM play is where it's at.  Indeed the late great Bob Paisley would refuse to be drawn, in after match interviews, on individual performances. He constantly referred to the team. 
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #183: Jun 13, 2008 05:52:27 pm
      I don't think that Shankley and Gerrard can be compared!  Gerrard will always be a legend and so will Shankley and to be fair I would leave it there!

Quick Reply