Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Suarez claims it's cups rather than top?

Read 8213 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Suarez claims it's cups rather than top?
      Oct 05, 2011 03:55:18 pm
      Luis Suarez has claimed Liverpool's best chance of picking up silverware this season is in the cup competitions, with the Uruguayan suggesting Premier League title contenders Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea are "unreachable".

Luis Suarez
      GettyImagesLuis Suarez: £22 million transfer to Liverpool

The forward has been a shining light for Liverpool this season, with his four goals propelling the Reds up to fifth in the table. They are just six points adrift of the Manchester duo, and three behind Chelsea, but Suarez feels they are not on the same level as the pacesetters.

"We have no limit and want to stay in the top four. But winning the Premier League is now very difficult," Suarez told Gazzetta dello Sport. "The two Manchesters and Chelsea are unreachable. But we can win the cups."

The No.7 jersey is held in great esteem at Anfield, having been worn by Kevin Keegan and current Reds boss Kenny Dalglish, but Suarez has claimed he was not aware of its significance when he joined the club from Ajax.

"I didn't know the history of my No.7 shirt at Liverpool," Suarez said. "I picked it because it was one of the few numbers available. Now that I know the story I am proud to wear the 'seven' and I try not to feel the burden of its heritage."

Suarez has adapted well to life in England and has been helped along the way by Dalglish.

"Dalglish tries to talk to me in Spanish and tries to help me," he said. "I appreciate that."

I agree with him that we are clearly not the favorites to win the league this term, but to label Manure, City, and Chelsea as "unreachable" is over the top!  Unfortunately, I think this is another subtle glimpse into the mind of Luis Suarez.  He doesn't see Liverpool as the best club in the world, and in my opinion, unless we can start winning titles and trophies in the next 12-24 months, we will see Luis pull a Torres when a club who can offer more immediate success (ex: Barca) comes calling. 
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011 10:48:10 pm by redkenny »
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Re: WTF Luis?!
      Reply #1: Oct 05, 2011 04:03:18 pm
      Who knows what he actually said, he either said it in English, which isn't his first language or in Spanish and it got translated.

I wouldn't worry, yet. If we are in the Champions League next year he will be happy enough.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Oct 05, 2011 04:07:13 pm
      Post your source, please.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #3: Oct 05, 2011 04:10:53 pm
      For a second I thought he had submitted a transfer request before I clicked.

Phew!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Oct 05, 2011 04:11:18 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11669_7225116,00.html

Liverpool ace Luis Suarez has conceded the club are unlikely to challenge for the Premier League title this season, with a top-four finish the main goal.

The Reds currently sit in fifth spot in the Premier League table, six points behind leaders Manchester United after just seven games.

Suarez, who has been Liverpool's star performer so far this term, admits winning the title is now difficult because of the gap between the Reds and rivals like United, Manchester City and Chelsea.
      "We have no limit and want to stay in the top four. But winning the Premier League is now very difficult," Suarez told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"The two Manchesters and Chelsea are unreachable. But we can win the cups"
      Luis Suarez
      Quotes of the week
      "The main reason why it is so difficult is because the two Manchesters and Chelsea are unreachable. But we can win the cups."

Heritage

Suarez, who inherited the famous No.7 shirt at Anfield, admits he was not aware of the signifcance of the shirt, but is happy to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish.
      "I didn't know the history of my No.7 shirt at Liverpool," added Suarez. "I picked it because it was one of the few numbers available.

"Now that I know the story I am proud to wear the '7' and I try not to feel the burden of its heritage."
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #5: Oct 05, 2011 04:14:07 pm
      He may have been mis-quoted. I wouldnt worry about him leaving just yet. He can see we are building a great squad and one in which he will be challenging over the next few seasons for titles. He will definitely stay for our return to the Champions League next season!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #6: Oct 05, 2011 04:16:20 pm
      Very surprised if he has said this!! think there are a few misquotes in this story.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #7: Oct 05, 2011 04:19:45 pm
      Hes prob just playing down our chances it would be ridiculous if he said we are going to win the league. And tbh he is right the league isnt really our realistic target this season we are building a team to challenge and we arent there yet.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Oct 05, 2011 04:24:13 pm
      We need to win the league next season or play very well in the Champions League to make sure we keep him.  Or win 1or 2 cups this season.
      Our future depends on what we do until January. The quality of players signed in January will definitely depend on our position in the League and to upgrade our squad (which is already good)we need world class players like Suarez. We have a good team but we need some players like Muller, Nani, Young, Ribery, Nasri or Silva. If we're not in the top 4 by January we'll struggle to challenge for players and trophies.
      I trust Kenny :scarf:

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #9: Oct 05, 2011 04:29:03 pm
      Quite strange when you consider his never say die mentality to come out and say this, especially when we are only 6 points off the top of the league and barely a quarter of the way through the season. Wouldn't be surprised if its been lost in translation abit, the phrases "we have no limit" and "unreachable" raise a few eyebrows.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011 04:35:54 pm by Dannylfc »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #10: Oct 05, 2011 04:31:39 pm
      It has probably lost a bit in translation as he doesn't seem like a player who would be saying teams are unreachable at this early stage in the season.
      harrydunn08
      • Started Topic

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #11: Oct 05, 2011 04:55:43 pm

Apologies on the source, I'm trying to figure out this new and improved version of the site!  I saw the story on Soccernet:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/966101/title-out-of-liverpool%27s-reach---suarez?cc=5901

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a slight misinterpretation, but it wouldn't be shocking to me if he really did say it....  I made a comment a few games ago (not sure which one now though) about how frustrated Luis looked at some of the lack of quality surrounding him on the pitch.  It looked as though Luis was thinking one or two steps ahead of everyone else around him (LFC players included).  His movement and vision were always getting him into dangerous positions, but it seemed like none of our players were able to link up with him or pick him out with the right pass.  I hope for our sake that Luis doesn't become frustrated if we struggle this term and end up handing in a transfer request when one of (insert: Barca/Madrid/Inter/Milan/City/Chelsea/Munich) come knocking on our door next summer to test our resolve.....
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12: Oct 05, 2011 04:58:19 pm
      Would love to see the original interview, which I'm assuming is in Spanish.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #13: Oct 05, 2011 05:02:17 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a slight misinterpretation, but it wouldn't be shocking to me if he really did say it....  I made a comment a few games ago (not sure which one now though) about how frustrated Luis looked at some of the lack of quality surrounding him on the pitch.  It looked as though Luis was thinking one or two steps ahead of everyone else around him (LFC players included).  His movement and vision were always getting him into dangerous positions, but it seemed like none of our players were able to link up with him or pick him out with the right pass.  I hope for our sake that Luis doesn't become frustrated if we struggle this term and end up handing in a transfer request when one of (insert: Barca/Madrid/Inter/Milan/City/Chelsea/Munich) come knocking on our door next summer to test our resolve.....
      [/quote]

He must of been F***ing fuming at Ajax :roll:
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #14: Oct 05, 2011 05:18:51 pm
      To write your team off 6 points adrift from the top - you must either be an idiot, or mis-quoted.

I hope he's been mis-quoted as these are disappointing comments.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #15: Oct 05, 2011 05:30:51 pm
      He probaby meant 'seem unstoppable'
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #16: Oct 05, 2011 05:30:59 pm
      Even if he said it I like it.
      More work, less talk!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #17: Oct 05, 2011 05:39:59 pm
      gah, sky, probably mis-quoted and exaggerated along with anything else those scumbags get their hands on.

tbh, if barca come calling, most players would leave. not everyone is a gerrard or a carra with ties to one club only. pepe is an exception :)
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #18: Oct 05, 2011 05:40:35 pm
      ps: i like the website upgrade with alex the kidd on master system graphics ;)
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #19: Oct 05, 2011 05:50:50 pm
      Suarez in a "its very unlikely we'll go from 6th to 1st in a year" shock revelation... Storm in a teacup
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20: Oct 05, 2011 05:53:41 pm
       I can't see what all the fuss is about. We are extremely unlikely to win the league this season, it's hardly an earth shattering revelation is it?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,735 posts | 7167 
      Reply #21: Oct 05, 2011 06:08:48 pm
      Think he is a bit of a lose cannon.Don't care who says what as long as we keep winning.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #22: Oct 05, 2011 06:45:11 pm
      Suarez in a "its very unlikely we'll go from 6th to 1st in a year" shock revelation... Storm in a teacup

Exactly ... Even if he wasn't misquoted, he is only giving a fair assessment of the quality of the squads ... It is no secret that the Mancs, Chelsea and City have deeper and stronger squads, and that they also have less new players on their teams ...

Quick Reply