Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Reina: Hicks and Gillett blocked my Arsenal Move

Read 21166 times
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Re: Reina: Hicks and Gillett blocked my Arsenal Move
      Reply #161: Oct 12, 2011 05:09:24 pm
      It's all in the past and what's done is done. Let's just be grateful that we are now headed in the right direction. Great owners, great manager and a team with great potential. Stop the pointless bikering! YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #162: Oct 12, 2011 05:35:46 pm
      I wonder which were the half of the players Pepe says Rafa lost, Yossi, Riera, Gerrard, Carra, Babel ?

In context looking at that list theres only Gerrard and Carra we'd have been sorry to lose.

I'd have fu**ed the rotten cores out, kept Rafa and told Gerrard and Carra to knuckle down, because we fu**ed off Riera, Babel and Yossi anyway and spent stupid amounts of money to sack Rafa and bring Roy in.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think Rafa would have done much better than Roy under any circumstances.

But its all by the by, we still have Pepe and we have the King.

Nah mate , the mistake wasn't in moving Rafa on, but in appointing Roy to take his place. Thankfully the error was quickly rectified (though maybe not quickly enough :) )and we now have Kenny.

Its a bit like selling a misfiring striker, its not a mistake. The mistake is if you replace him with a worse one. Sign a good one and it's a great move.

Gian Piero Gasperini is upset over comparisons with another Inter Milan coaching flop - Rafa Benitez.

Gasperini lasted only five official games in charge, notching up one draw and four defeats before he was replaced by Claudio Ranieri.

“The players were always at my disposal and I cannot fault them for their efforts. I’ve always thanked them for that,” he told Rai Uno.

“We just weren’t ready, as many of them had been out of action since the previous season. Ultimately both the club and I didn’t look good in all this.”

When asked if he was similar to Benitez, who parted company with Inter in December 2010, Gasperini had other ideas.

“I don’t think so, as he had problems with the locker room and his rapport with people.”

Seems to be a recurring theme.

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2011 05:56:06 pm by s@int »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #163: Oct 12, 2011 06:11:44 pm

Yup, I'd say that a manager that has lasted exactly 5 games at the same job is the real authority on the issue ...
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #164: Oct 12, 2011 06:58:59 pm

But weren't we asked sooo many times "How do you know he's lost the dressing room?  Are You in there?  Well here we are a couple of years later and in fact we get to be the proverbial fly on the wall and find our suspicions to be confirmed.  (But we are the C*nts)
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #165: Oct 12, 2011 07:07:10 pm
      But weren't we asked sooo many times "How do you know he's lost the dressing room?  Are You in there?  Well here we are a couple of years later and in fact we get to be the proverbial fly on the wall and find our suspicions to be confirmed.  (But we are the C*nts)

Personally, I have never doubted that Rafa has lost the dressing room ... Considering that our captain and our vice-captain were leading the mutiny, Rafa had a very little chance of staying, especially considering that we've had some really incompetent idiots in charge of the club at the time ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #166: Oct 12, 2011 07:09:35 pm
      Nah mate , the mistake wasn't in moving Rafa on, but in appointing Roy to take his place. Thankfully the error was quickly rectified (though maybe not quickly enough :) )and we now have Kenny.

Its a bit like selling a misfiring striker, its not a mistake. The mistake is if you replace him with a worse one. Sign a good one and it's a great move.

Gian Piero Gasperini is upset over comparisons with another Inter Milan coaching flop - Rafa Benitez.

Gasperini lasted only five official games in charge, notching up one draw and four defeats before he was replaced by Claudio Ranieri.

“The players were always at my disposal and I cannot fault them for their efforts. I’ve always thanked them for that,” he told Rai Uno.

“We just weren’t ready, as many of them had been out of action since the previous season. Ultimately both the club and I didn’t look good in all this.”

When asked if he was similar to Benitez, who parted company with Inter in December 2010, Gasperini had other ideas.

“I don’t think so, as he had problems with the locker room and his rapport with people.”

I F***ing have lived to the day someone used Gian Piero Gasperini in their argument! I thought it wouldn't come. Tears of emotion. Happiness? Sadness? Anger? A bit of each i reckon.

Gian F***ing Piero Gasperini. That fossiliferous tw*t. 
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #167: Oct 12, 2011 07:11:55 pm
      Considering that our captain and our vice-captain were leading the mutiny

Jesus Wept change the F***ing record.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #168: Oct 12, 2011 07:13:31 pm
      Jesus Wept change the f**king record.

Why would I do that ? Because it is embarrassing for our captain and vice-captain ?
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #169: Oct 12, 2011 07:26:39 pm
      Personally, I have never doubted that Rafa has lost the dressing room ... Considering that our captain and our vice-captain were leading the mutiny, Rafa had a very little chance of staying, especially considering that we've had some really incompetent idiots in charge of the club at the time ...

Mac a big part of the reason why those that thought Rafa should go were of the opinion that Rafa had his focus turned away from what was happening on the pitch.  I give him credit for what he did to try to get rid of H&G.  But his main focus left the football as secondary.

Anyway, what's done is done.  Things now are miles ahead of where they were when we finished 7th and qualified for the Europa League because Pompey failed to correctly file paper work for their European licenses.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #170: Oct 12, 2011 07:32:27 pm
      I f**king have lived to the day someone used Gian Piero Gasperini in their argument! I thought it wouldn't come. Tears of emotion. Happiness? Sadness? Anger? A bit of each I reckon.

Gian f**king Piero Gasperini. That fossiliferous tw*t. 

See, things could have been worse ..... we could have appointed him as our manager instead of Roy. :)
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #171: Oct 12, 2011 07:34:57 pm
      Mac a big part of the reason why those that thought Rafa should go were of the opinion that Rafa had his focus turned away from what was happening on the pitch.  I give him credit for what he did to try to get rid of H&G.  But his main focus left the football as secondary.

To be honest, every person that cares about LFC has had his focus turned away from the pitch at the time, considering that our club was on the brink of bankruptcy, and the tumors assisted by Cecil were destroying it in front of our eyes ... The sad truth is, Rafa has fought for our club until the very end ... Unfortunately, our captain and vice-captain had different priorities at the time ...
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #172: Oct 12, 2011 07:38:32 pm
      To be honest, every person that cares about LFC has had his focus turned away from the pitch at the time, considering that our club was on the brink of bankruptcy, and the tumors assisted by Cecil were destroying it in front of our eyes ... The sad truth is, Rafa has fought for our club until the very end ... Unfortunately, our captain and vice-captain had different priorities at the time ...

I agree... to an extent.  Our captain and vice-captain wanted to switch the focus back to what was happening on the pitch.  Hardly a crime.
      wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #173: Oct 12, 2011 07:39:24 pm
      who cares its all in the past pepe is still here ,and everybody from the chairman right down to the tealady are all looking forward think some of our fans should try and do the same
      igor zidane
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 13 
      Reply #174: Oct 12, 2011 07:45:31 pm
      Pepe's ace isn't he . Pity he was signed by a fat spanish waiter .
      Now there are certain people who go the game and they meet up and have a chat with certain other people who go the game who are related to certain people who play for the club . Now i know what I've heard and i know what I've been told to my face , i also know that certain people from all area's of LFC had agenda's and were mischief making . From players to managers to directors to press officers to owners and to supporters . As always in war (because it was a war ) the truth becomes the first casualty . Noone came out of it smelling of roses accept maybe the fans who were caught in the middle . The most important thing is WE WON , US THE FANS ,THE HEART BEAT OF LFC .

It was shitty and nasty and horrible at times , but we've got our club back and we only need to argue about players and tactics now nothing else for now . Enjoy our club again and enjoy your fellow supporters again , because at times it felt like we were all gonna be fu**ed .
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #175: Oct 12, 2011 07:45:34 pm

But therefor it was a mistake letting go of Rafa, a rather costly one at that, had we held onto him for just one more season, maybe John Henry and Co would have still made the same decision, but it wouldn't have cost us as much.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #176: Oct 12, 2011 07:46:03 pm
      I agree... to an extent.  Our captain and vice-captain wanted to switch the focus back to what was happening on the pitch.  Hardly a crime.

From today's point of view, after we know all the details about our situation at the time, it was definitely a crime against everything our club stands for ... They should have spoken publicly against the tumors, especially since outsiders like Rafa and Pepe decided it was a fight worth fighting ... Gerrard and Carragher have chosen the easy way out, and let the Spaniards fight for them ... One of those Spaniards was the ultimate victim of that fight, but at least he has earned the eternal respect of the LFC supporters ...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #177: Oct 12, 2011 07:56:59 pm
      But therefor it was a mistake letting go of Rafa, a rather costly one at that, had we held onto him for just one more season, maybe John Henry and Co would have still made the same decision, but it wouldn't have cost us as much.

With half a team not supporting him, to keep Rafa on would have been an even bigger disaster than Roy was, plus we may then have finished up with Chelsea's manager rather than Kenny.

I am happy that things worked out so well in the end. Happy with Kenny, happy that Pepe stayed, and happy that we have got a future rather than administration, and relegation. 

finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #178: Oct 12, 2011 08:01:32 pm
      "A time comes when silence is betrayal"
      Martin Luther King
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #179: Oct 12, 2011 08:01:50 pm
      From today's point of view, after we know all the details about our situation at the time, it was definitely a crime against everything our club stands for ... They should have spoken publicly against the tumors, especially since outsiders like Rafa and Pepe decided it was a fight worth fighting ... Gerrard and Carragher have chosen the easy way out, and let the Spaniards fight for them ... One of those Spaniards was the ultimate victim of that fight, but at least he has earned the eternal respect of the LFC supporters ...

Why should players be castigated for not protesting when Rafa never did?  At least they didn't ask supporters not to protest as Rafa did.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #180: Oct 12, 2011 08:04:38 pm
      We covered this the other night and Rafa was only against protesting during the match (which perhaps makes sense).
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #181: Oct 12, 2011 08:09:56 pm
      We covered this the other night and Rafa was only against protesting during the match (which perhaps makes sense).

I think the point being ..... he NEVER protested about the debt, so why should Gerrard and Carra be castigated for not protesting? Surely they were just following the managers lead? Obviously if Carra and Gerrard had protested they would have stirred up the supporters, going against Rafa's wishes.... no?
      igor zidane
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 13 
      Reply #182: Oct 12, 2011 08:31:36 pm
      I think the point being ..... he NEVER protested about the debt, so why should Gerrard and Carra be castigated for not protesting? Surely they were just following the managers lead? Obviously if Carra and Gerrard had protested they would have stirred up the supporters, going against Rafa's wishes.... no?

He never protested about the debt publicly , but if you read Brian reads book he was protesting about it to anyone who would listen in private . The supporters would have backed Gerrard and carra to the hilt if they would have spoken out publicly like Alonso ,Torres Mascherano and Reina all did . In various interviews before and after there departure the foreign lads all talked about investment and the lack of . They didn't come out and shout yanks out but they certainly made it clear what was happening regarding funds . Instead  Gerrard and carra decided to focus on the managers faults rather than what the owners were doing . If people, players and supporters alike  had put as much effort into getting rid of the owners rather than trying to get rid of rafa we may well be celebrating our 2nd year with new owners.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #183: Oct 12, 2011 09:13:04 pm
      He never protested about the debt publicly , but if you read Brian reads book he was protesting about it to anyone who would listen in private . The supporters would have backed Gerrard and carra to the hilt if they would have spoken out publicly like Alonso ,Torres Mascherano and Reina all did . In various interviews before and after there departure the foreign lads all talked about investment and the lack of . They didn't come out and shout yanks out but they certainly made it clear what was happening regarding funds . Instead  Gerrard and carra decided to focus on the managers faults rather than what the owners were doing . If people, players and supporters alike  had put as much effort into getting rid of the owners rather than trying to get rid of rafa we may well be celebrating our 2nd year with new owners.

Maybe Gerrard and Carra were protesting to anyone who would listen in private?

Of the 4 players you mention as speaking out......3 have left (so no doubt were thinking about it at the time?) while Pepe has admitted to thinking about leaving. So they all probably felt they had less to lose than Gerrard or Carra?

The point I have been trying to make (badly) is that it wasn't about more transfer funds (which would have only added to our debt), it was about the size of our debt. Only the supporters seem to protest about that. Rafa moaned and groaned about transfers, the players moaned about lack of investment in the team.....but it was the debt that was killing us 

Quick Reply