Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Reina: Hicks and Gillett blocked my Arsenal Move

Read 21270 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Reina: Hicks and Gillett blocked my Arsenal Move
      Reply #23: Oct 09, 2011 12:32:09 pm
      Yeah, and no manager ever gets "sacked" after a vote of confidence do they ?

Yes they do, but me and you both know that wasn't the case no matter how much you want to suggest otherwise.

Carra stupidly has almost admitted it and Reina is giving you all the indications that you need in that interview.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24: Oct 09, 2011 12:40:51 pm
      Yes they do, but me and you both know that wasn't the case no matter how much you want to suggest otherwise.

Nah mate, Rafa  took advantage of the situation at the club over the terms of his new contract while we had no CEO, pushed for transfer funds knowing that it would just be going straight onto the debt, and then after finishing 7th fell out with Purslow. Hardly surprising that Broughton decided enough was enough.   

If he had finished top 4 he would still be here imo.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #25: Oct 09, 2011 12:42:51 pm

You don't need to be a genius to realize that Gerrard and Carragher have played a role in Rafa's departure, Roy's appointment, and the purchase of Joe Cole ... All you need to do is read their interviews at the time ... Some of them on the club's official site ...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #26: Oct 09, 2011 12:45:39 pm
      Hardly surprising that Broughton decided enough was enough.   

True, hardly surprising that a life-long Chelsea supporter has sacked one of the main reasons Chelsea have never won the Champions League ... Not to mention Torres' own admission that the first bid from Chelsea for him has arrived when Broughton was still our chairman ...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #27: Oct 09, 2011 12:48:43 pm
      You don't need to be a genius to realize that Gerrard and Carragher have played a role in Rafa's departure, Roy's appointment, and the purchase of Joe Cole ... All you need to do is read their interviews at the time ... Some of them on the club's official site ...

Carra and Gerrard were part of the squad that finished 7th I agree.
      I thought we were blaming Purslow for Cole? If I remember correctly RLB said that it was Rafa that had already sorted the Cole deal out (of course that was well before Cole flopped).

Everything else is just supposition.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Oct 09, 2011 12:52:14 pm

Not to me mate, I was told about it as it happened and I said as much as in this very forum, I believe HR had also heard similar things.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #29: Oct 09, 2011 12:52:23 pm
      True, hardly surprising that a life-long Chelsea supporter has sacked one of the main reasons Chelsea have never won the Champions League ... Not to mention Torres' own admission that the first bid from Chelsea for him has arrived when Broughton was still our chairman ...

Which was turned down by Broughton and Hodgson ? 

So now its all a dastardly plot by Broughton? At least Gerrard and Carra are in the clear then :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #30: Oct 09, 2011 12:54:31 pm
      Not to me mate, I was told about it as it happened and I said as much as in this very forum, I believe HR had also heard similar things.

I hear lots of things mate (and no, not in my head)...... doesn't make them true. 
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #31: Oct 09, 2011 12:56:43 pm
      I hear lots of things mate (and no, not in my head)...... doesn't make them true. 

It might not make them true, but everything that is coming out now suggests it was.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #32: Oct 09, 2011 01:02:22 pm
      It might not make them true, but everything that is coming out now suggests it was.

I am sure many players at many clubs get upset when the team is badly underperforming. I am also sure that Carra and Gerrard would have preferred finishing 4th and having CL football and Rafa staying than finishing 7th and Rafa going.

Imo I think Rafa's "sacking" was just an accident waiting to happen. As soon as he failed he had made too many enemies and not many friends.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #33: Oct 09, 2011 01:08:14 pm

Imo I think Rafa's "sacking" was just an accident waiting to happen. As soon as he failed he had made too many enemies and not many friends.

Could have been avoided though and the splits in the dressing room that Pepe refers too, certainly wouldn't have helped.

We almost lost Pepe.

We lost Mascherano and Torres.

We lost Rafa and gained Roy and Poulsen and Konchesky.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34: Oct 09, 2011 01:14:49 pm
      Could have been avoided though and the splits in the dressing room that Pepe refers too, certainly wouldn't have helped.

We almost lost Pepe.

We lost Mascherano and Torres.

We lost Rafa and gained Roy and Poulsen and Konchesky.

We lost Benayoun and Alonso too but that was more down to Rafa so we won't mention them eh?  Torres left because we finished 7th and then appointed Roy, Masch left because of his family :)

We lost Rafa but we have Kenny now .... I'm happy!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #35: Oct 09, 2011 01:35:25 pm
      Well, maybe Stevie, Carra and Kenny could have spoken out but I guess their silence, especially Kenny's, is understandable.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #36: Oct 09, 2011 01:37:54 pm

We lost Rafa but we have Kenny now .... I'm happy!

I'm happy we have Kenny, but I'm not happy about the conduct of some of our senior players during the removal of Rafa and I never will be.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #37: Oct 09, 2011 03:03:31 pm
      If Carra or Gerrard speak up, Rafa stays.

Only Pepe, Masch and Torres have stated Rafa leaving played a part in their decisions to leave or contemplate their future here. When they are our 5 best players at the time, and only the two local lads are saying nothing, you start to wonder no?

I think that much is as obvious as a priest on a mountain of sugar.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #38: Oct 09, 2011 03:08:25 pm

Carra and Gerrard were part of the squad that finished 7th I agree.
      I thought we were blaming Purslow for Cole? If I remember correctly RLB said that it was Rafa that had already sorted the Cole deal out (of course that was well before Cole flopped).

Joe Cole was Rafa's signing ? Now, I've seen some pretty nasty revisionism, but that one is ridiculous ... Anyway:

Steven Gerrard believes Joe Cole has the individual brilliance that is equal to Lionel Messi and tipped the midfielder to land the 2011 Players' Player of the Year award.

The Reds skipper is convinced the former Chelsea star has all the talent to be a Kop hero and reckons he can help the club begin a bright new era.

"[Lionel] Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better," said Gerrard.

"He used to shock us in training by doing footy tricks with a golf ball that most players can't even do with a football. I really fancy Joe for the [Player of the Season] award this season."

He added "This is a great club and after speaking with Roy Hodgson I'm really pleased to see his plans for the club. It's a new era now - we must forget about the horror of what happened last season and get this club back to where it belongs, which is the Champions League at the very least."
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/stevie-on-joe-messi-and-golf

That interview shows what happens when an idiot playing real life Football Manager and the senior players are allowed to run a serious football club like LFC ... My only hope is that it will never happen again ...
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #39: Oct 09, 2011 04:00:20 pm
      If Carra or Gerrard speak up, Rafa stays.

Only Pepe, Masch and Torres have stated Rafa leaving played a part in their decisions to leave or contemplate their future here. When they are our 5 best players at the time, and only the two local lads are saying nothing, you start to wonder no?

I think that much is as obvious as a priest on a mountain of sugar.

^ This.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Oct 09, 2011 04:29:58 pm
      That's what makes Pepe Reina the player and man we love and adore.
      He fought for the fans and the club he loved, I thank him for giving us the chance to show him we are going somewhere.
      It's a shame that such role models as Carrara and Gerrard don't put the clubs needs 1st.
      The Rafa demise and Roy employment does seem to have been influenced by them.
      Pepe has an excellent character, true to himself and others. Legend

I love his honesty.
      If ever anyone has any doubt over Pepe .. just watch his goal celebrations when we scored in the Derby.
      It would appear that the only thing Hansel and Gretel  did for us is block Pepe's move and now it doesnt matter why.

In one year we have seen a revolution take place at the club with Pepe a big part of it.

Love the guy.
      smithymonster
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #41: Oct 09, 2011 04:35:58 pm
      Forget making a great song for Pepe , Lets make a great song for Mrs Reina!
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2011 05:08:01 pm by Venison 86 »
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #42: Oct 09, 2011 05:02:38 pm
      smithymonster@hotmail.com
      Did you get your email address and username boxes mixed up on registering?  :D
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #43: Oct 09, 2011 05:10:10 pm
      So whilst two Spaniard, Rafa and Pepe, fought for the future of our club, two scousers kept quiet and backed the appointment of the clueless Hodgson.

Stevie and Jamie should feel embarrassed by this.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #44: Oct 09, 2011 05:12:26 pm
      He would have really really regretted joining Arsenal wouldn't he!

Christ, thankfully we held onto him!
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2011 05:13:14 pm by Venison 86 »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #45: Oct 09, 2011 05:47:52 pm
      When Houllier left they asked Owen, Gerrard and Carra for their opinion of who should be the next manager..... then totally ignored them and signed Rafa. Same with Roy, he will have been a board signing not Gerrard and Carra's.

Houllier was sacked the season after winning a trophy and after qualifying for the CL, Rafa was "sacked" after winning nothin for 4 years and finishing 7th

Quick Reply