Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Celtic Fans against Anti Sectarianism

Read 5733 times
      BCFC Brummie
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 6 posts |
      Celtic Fans against Anti Sectarianism
      Oct 12, 2011 07:20:40 pm
      Hello.
      Liverpool Football Club and Celtic Football Club have a good relationship and Celtic fans are calling you out to support them in a case for  freedom of singing Football songs.
      My second team is Celtic so I am going to advertise this in Celtic time of need to battle the Scottish Governments ridiculiuous rule.

You may know about the Anti Secteriansim Bill and the law to stop Celtic fans and SPL Teams Fans singing songs and posting messages on the internet that some may find offensive for whatever reason.
      If you don't know very much about this, find out more by reading the blog from this link.
      http://takealiberty.blogspot.com/

So what I say to all Celtic fans and Football fans that are aware of the situation and support Celtic and SPL Teams Fans is sign up to this petition which Celtics fans are planning to send to the Scottish Government and show them that we have the freedom to sing and say what we want to say and try and turn over this rule that might see you get jailed for 5 years for singing a song about the IRA or The Fields of Anthenry.
      http://www.petitiononline.com/1967a/petition.html

Celtic and SPL Teams Fans want as many people as possible to sign up to this petition so if you are aware of this situation and you support The Against Anti Sectarianism Bill then please sign up.

Let The People Sing! Hail Hail! Keep Right On and YNWA.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Re: Celtic Fans against Anti Sectarianism
      Reply #1: Oct 12, 2011 10:02:30 pm
      F**k the lot of the Secterian wankers!!

Send them all to jail! xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

By the way, I'm not signing...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2: Oct 13, 2011 08:22:03 am
      "my second team" - F***ing moron.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,278 posts | 801 
      Reply #3: Oct 13, 2011 08:36:05 am
      Ha F***ing Ha

The good relationship between the clubs ends when that IRA sh*te is brought up.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,639 posts | 3866 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Oct 13, 2011 08:47:48 am
      That sh*t is the reason why Irish football will probaby never have a stronger, 32 county league. Has no place in sport.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,278 posts | 801 
      Reply #5: Oct 13, 2011 08:53:35 am
      That sh*t is the reason why Irish football will probaby never have a stronger, 32 county league. Has no place in sport.

Correct mate. Too many narrow minded bitter cu*ts about the place.
      Sickening!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,484 posts | 3437 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Oct 13, 2011 10:05:19 am
      I saw at a recent Rangers home game that some fans had tape over their mouths and a banner along the lines of football fans rot in jail while Al Megrahi (the lockerbie bomber) rests at home.
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #7: Oct 13, 2011 12:09:39 pm
      Hello.
      Liverpool Football Club and Celtic Football Club have a good relationship and Celtic fans are calling you out to support them in a case for  freedom of singing Football songs.
      My second team is Celtic so I am going to advertise this in Celtic time of need to battle the Scottish Governments ridiculiuous rule.

You may know about the Anti Secteriansim Bill and the law to stop Celtic fans and SPL Teams Fans singing songs and posting messages on the internet that some may find offensive for whatever reason.
      If you don't know very much about this, find out more by reading the blog from this link.

So what I say to all Celtic fans and Football fans that are aware of the situation and support Celtic and SPL Teams Fans is sign up to this petition which Celtics fans are planning to send to the Scottish Government and show them that we have the freedom to sing and say what we want to say and try and turn over this rule that might see you get jailed for 5 years for singing a song about the IRA or The Fields of Anthenry.

Celtic and SPL Teams Fans want as many people as possible to sign up to this petition so if you are aware of this situation and you support The Against Anti Sectarianism Bill then please sign up.

Football and politics should never mix. Your suggesting its ok to sing secterian songs because its freedom of speech, using this same bullshit argument, I suppose its also ok to making monkey nosies and throw bananas at black/ethnic players because that then would be your right to freedom of expression?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #8: Oct 13, 2011 01:35:29 pm
      Would I be wrong in saying IT is the only reason to watch the Glasgow Derby, to see the bad blood.

Cos the football certainly isn't a reason for tuning in.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Oct 13, 2011 01:42:00 pm
      I remember watching the Old Firm game at O'Neils in Liverpool. Was the game where Maurice Edu got the winner in the last minute.

I couldn't believe the amount of people in there with Liverpool tops on all full on supporting Celtic, all Scottish/Irish and when Celtic did concede in the last minute all hell kicked off.

At the final whistle they all broke out into some strange IRA chant, and I was left confused as to who these people actually supported?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #10: Oct 13, 2011 01:53:03 pm
      I remember watching the Old Firm game at O'Neils in Liverpool. Was the game where Maurice Edu got the winner in the last minute.

I couldn't believe the amount of people in there with Liverpool tops on all full on supporting Celtic, all Scottish/Irish and when Celtic did concede in the last minute all hell kicked off.

At the final whistle they all broke out into some strange IRA chant, and I was left confused as to who these people actually supported?

They'll be either full on catholics or Irish!!

Forgot to ask, don't you remember the CELTIC/RANGERS chant that used to take place on the kop during home games back in the day?
      « Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011 02:09:17 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Oct 13, 2011 04:06:14 pm
      f***in disgrace, following that argument racism is freedom of speech as well.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #12: Oct 13, 2011 04:31:48 pm
      Hello.

Talk about light the fuse and retire to another country. You coming back to this?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #13: Oct 13, 2011 07:42:41 pm
      Any movement to openly endorse the singing of pro IRA songs, under the guise of free-speech is Idiotic.  What does the IRA and the Irish struggle have to do with a football match?  I grew up an Irish-American and support my heritage and Ireland. I know the history of the troubles and have numerous family members directly involved but I wont support inciting violence and sectarianism.

Their is a reason that the Irish people have worked toward a peace proposal. No one wants to see a return of violence and killing and attacks.  Its always the people who have nothing to lose or have not been effected by violence that see it as some sort of noble belief. Its not. Who wants to see children being killed and mothers dying and for what?  Because I say the lords prayer a little different than someone else?  Sectarianism is a f***in' disgrace and anyone who openly endorses violence in the name of "Their God" is a disgrace and they are an embarrassment to humanity.

Here's an Idea. How about going to the match for the atmosphere of the derby and support your team because you like the sport and the rivalry.  Not for nothing but anyone who posts on a Liverpool forum, looking for support of chants which will almost guarantee violence at the match, knows nothing about Liverpool or its history.  You'll have better luck getting support on a Rangers forum than on here.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #14: Oct 13, 2011 08:06:34 pm
      Not for nothing but anyone who posts on a Liverpool forum, looking for support of chants which will almost guarantee violence at the match, knows nothing about Liverpool or its history.  You'll have better luck getting support on a Rangers forum than on here.

"You'll get your F***ing heads kicked in"
      "ten to nine is stabbing time"
      "Your going home in a St john's ambulance"
      "We're a right shower of bas**rds when we lose"

All songs or chants endorsing violence and have emanated from the kop in the late 70s and 80s.

Plus there used to be a massive support for either Celtic or Rangers from Liverpool fans including loads wearing those half-halfy bobble hats that were all the rage from the same period .

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: Oct 13, 2011 09:03:23 pm
      All songs or chants endorsing violence and have emanated from the kop in the late 70s and 80s.

Indeed... I was at a West Brom game (late 70's I think) - the Kop sang 'Old Man River' and chucked bananas at Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson.

I wouldn't sign a petition which endorsed Racism - I'll be fu**ed sideways before I sign one which demands a right to be sectarian.

Strange thread all round this.  :-\
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #16: Oct 13, 2011 09:12:21 pm

Still hear those were the days especially away but yes Huyton, most have gone.

F**kin disgrace, following that argument racism is freedom of speech as well.

Exactly, shocking.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #17: Oct 14, 2011 12:13:05 am
      Ah Scotlands anti-sectarianism laws... I'm doing my dissertation on much the same subject. But I can see I'm going to have a different conclusion.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #18: Oct 14, 2011 03:46:02 pm
      I'm sorry lads....I'm in no way in favour of sectarianism, but by the same token if singing a song about the IRA years ago is enough to warrant a jail sentence then half of the traditional artists in Ireland would be locked up! What's wrong with Celtic fans singing "The Fields of Athenry"? Its a traditional song which we as Liverpool fans have borrowed too. Celtic has a strong Irish connection (founded by an Irish monk) and part of Irish tradition and culture is various rebel songs. I see no problem with these songs. What's more I have friends and family all over the UK who have no problem with these songs, and even sing along to them when a session breaks out in a pub in Ireland. To me Celtic fans are celebrating their Irish heritage and when they sing Irish Rebel songs and I don't see a problem with this.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Oct 14, 2011 04:04:05 pm
      I'm sorry lads....I'm in no way in favour of sectarianism, but by the same token if singing a song about the IRA years ago is enough to warrant a jail sentence then half of the traditional artists in Ireland would be locked up! What's wrong with Celtic fans singing "The Fields of Athenry"? Its a traditional song which we as Liverpool fans have borrowed too. Celtic has a strong Irish connection (founded by an Irish monk) and part of Irish tradition and culture is various rebel songs. I see no problem with these songs. What's more I have friends and family all over the UK who have no problem with these songs, and even sing along to them when a session breaks out in a pub in Ireland. To me Celtic fans are celebrating their Irish heritage and when they sing Irish Rebel songs and I don't see a problem with this.

Why would Fields of Athenry be banned? It's not sectarian, is it?
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #20: Oct 14, 2011 04:09:54 pm
      Its about the famine in ireland. I think he making the point the songs are about irish history. Sectarianism is stupid in this day and age how many of them ppl calling one another a proddy c**t or whatever even goes to mass. This is a wierd one most of them songs celtic fans sing are about irelands history same goes for rangers. Its part of the rivalary
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #21: Oct 14, 2011 04:12:20 pm
      Its about the famine in ireland. I think he making the point the songs are about irish history. Sectarianism is stupid in this day and age how many of them ppl calling one another a proddy c**t or whatever even goes to mass. This is a wierd one most of them songs celtic fans sing are about irelands history same goes for rangers. Its part of the rivalary

A rivalry that turns violent almost every old firm match...

People in Glasgow and Scotland are fed up with it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #22: Oct 14, 2011 04:12:37 pm

Yeah mate I know it's about the famine, I love that song. But is it considered sectarian? If so, I'll have to agree it's stupid. There are differences between celebrating your heritage and being sectarian, inciting violence etc.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #23: Oct 14, 2011 04:44:20 pm
      To be honest Diego, I wouldn't say Fields of Athenry is sectarian. But songs like Boys of the Old Brigade or the Billy Boys is more likely to be considered contentious. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: Oct 15, 2011 11:24:39 am
      To be honest Diego, I wouldn't say Fields of Athenry is sectarian. But songs like Boys of the Old Brigade or the Billy Boys is more likely to be considered contentious. 

Exactly mate. It's all about context and what offends - personally I don't know anyone who gets offended by The Fields Of Athenry. Songs about the IRA, at a football match, are designed to offend. 'The Billy Boys' - "We're up to our knees in fenian blood; Surrender or you'll die" - designed to offend. Plain and simple.

Dress it up what ever way you want - these songs when sung at opposing fans, at a football match, are designed to offend. The 'fans' who sign them know what they're doing. We all know what their at - to pretend otherwise is disingenuous; to give excuse to them or be an apologist for them - wrong.

I wonder, if some F***ing wum opened a thread by asking for us to sign a petition against Bulgarian fans being jailed for incitement of racial hatred, how long it would last.

One is either against sectarianism or one's not.  I've Zero tolerance for this sh*te and see it as being no different from Racism.

higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,278 posts | 801 
      Reply #25: Oct 15, 2011 11:39:49 am
      Exactly mate. It's all about context and what offends - personally I don't know anyone who gets offended by The Fields Of Athenry. Songs about the IRA, at a football match, are designed to offend. 'The Billy Boys' - "We're up to our knees in fenian blood; Surrender or you'll die" - designed to offend. Plain and simple.

Dress it up what ever way you want - these songs when sung at opposing fans, at a football match, are designed to offend. The 'fans' who sign them know what they're doing. We all know what their at - to pretend otherwise is disingenuous; to give excuse to them or be an apologist for them - wrong.

I wonder, if some f**king wum opened a thread by asking for us to sign a petition against Bulgarian fans being jailed for incitement of racial hatred, how long it would last.

One is either against sectarianism or one's not.  I've Zero tolerance for this sh*te and see it as being no different from Racism.

Quality post mate! Living in this sh*te hole that is NI, we see the worst of it!

Catholic, Protestant, black or white, what the F**k is the difference! cu*ts!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #26: Oct 16, 2011 12:07:51 am

Exactly mate and as higgy said living in NI we have experienced sectariansim at it's worst.

It is naive to think that it doesn't exist and that many fans will want to go into a ground and chant sectarian songs, just as there are many would would like to go into grounds and chant racist songs but that doesn't make it right and to try and get people to sign a petition in favour of this is unacceptable in my opinion.

I really am surprised this thread passed moderation and can only guess it was to gauge opinion on the matter.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #27: Oct 16, 2011 08:57:40 am
      Exactly mate and as higgy said living in NI we have experienced sectarianism at it's worst.

It's nice to see N.I. Reds fans (from both sides of the divide) unite on this one mate. I guess in having the experience of living with this sh*te every day gives us more of a perspective.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Quick Reply