Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Right Wing

Read 11052 times
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Re: Right Wing
      Reply #92: Feb 12, 2012 11:15:29 am
      I think Glen Johnson is useless.. We dont need him.!
      Sarcasm? surely?
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #93: Feb 12, 2012 11:50:27 am
      Still hard to believe we haven't seen Johnson have a go on the right wing.

With Kelly fit, what is seriously the problem with trying? Can't imagine it would be worse than Kuyt on current form!

What makes it worse is when we've seen players like Dossena and (to a lesser extent) Aurelio given a chance on the left!

I don't believe Johnson has to have space to run into either, he still has trickery to beat a man, and he's a goal threat with either foot from inside and outside the box.

Just do it already!
      This.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #94: Feb 13, 2012 11:45:17 pm
      Glen had possibly our two best efforts at goal on Saturday.

Lots of us think he'd do a great job on the wing but there must be something that Rafa and now Kenny see that puts them off the idea.

Its not like we havent got another decent player to come in at right back.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #95: Feb 13, 2012 11:54:39 pm
      Christ this thread got bumped and forgot it was about footy on the pitch and we were re-organizing scal-queda.  :o
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #96: Feb 14, 2012 01:52:43 am
      I'd rather not. Like said above, Rafa and Kenny both now, have seen something that puts them off.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #97: Feb 14, 2012 02:08:49 am
      I'd rather not. Like said above, Rafa and Kenny both now, have seen something that puts them off.

It's a very peculiar subject if you ask me as he fits the bill perfectly. Pace, dribbling, crossing, cutting in and having a shot, a natural flank player. Plus we've got a 21 year old quality fullback to fill his spot and we've got nobody else with as much speed in our attack as Glen. Would love to know what is holding Kenny off and what held Rafa back, possibly Glen does not want to play there? Surely it'd be at least worth a go to let him play there a bit.
      the general
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #98: Feb 14, 2012 09:35:03 am
      I can understand what people are saying about playing Johnson further up the field and a perfect example is Gareth Bale, he wasn't an amazing LB, but when he got moved further forward, he started to improve and show his qualities. I know theyre not exactly the same player etc. but i agree it could at least be tried, maybe against brighton? it wouldnt be that big a risk compared to trying it in the league i reckon
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #99: Feb 15, 2012 03:09:59 am
      I don't know. This Glen Johnson at RW gets talked about a lot, yet we've never seen it. I know he gets slated a lot, but Glen is probably one of my favorite Liverpool players. I'm a big fan of his, and I think he has a pretty good attitude.

But I'm not sure he'd be good at RW. I think what makes Johnson deceiving is that he's good going forward for a defender. He's good at exploiting that space from a deep position. But I don't think it can hurt to give it a try, though. Play him as a RW with Kelly at RB for a match or two and see how it works.

But if Kenny wants to play it safe a bit, Kuyt is still the man on the right. Unless he wants to give Henderson another shot out there. I'm personally not a fan of Hendo out wide, but I think he was originally bought to play there for a large number of games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #100: Feb 15, 2012 07:05:05 am
      Still hope we sign Junior Hoilett in the summer.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #101: Feb 15, 2012 07:07:33 am
      The more i see of him, the more i like Glen at right wing in a 4-4-2. Time and again he's our best attacker.

However i'd like to see Hoilett and another top class wide man come in. We'll be losing Maxi, Bellars won't be able to play week in and out and Dirk is poo these days.

Two pacey wingers with goals in them.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #102: Feb 15, 2012 07:10:58 am
      When Wolves get relegated snap up Jarvis too.
      Two wingers would be great business.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #103: Feb 15, 2012 09:28:26 am
      Still hope we sign Junior Hoilett in the summer.

Same here. Looks a good little prospect.

I'd also like to see Jonno get a little run out further up the pitch as I think he'd do alright although not as well as others are predicting. He can run at players and make things happen when he got a head of steam but it's different (and easier) doing it from a depper position, particularly if you've got a 2 on 1 and someone ahead of you who has already effected play (dragged someone out of position etc). Still worth a try though given our poor play out wide this season (and every other season for some time).
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #104: Feb 15, 2012 09:32:57 am
      Jarvis from Wolves, Krasic from Juventus, Lavezzi from Napoli can play there.

Wouldn't mind any of those 3.

Johnson to be given a go there 1st though.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #105: Feb 15, 2012 10:06:43 am
      Jarvis from Wolves, Krasic from Juventus, Lavezzi from Napoli can play there.

Wouldn't mind any of those 3.

Johnson to be given a go there 1st though.

Jarvis is a left winger mate. And Levezzi is a fine player (i really like him) but he's always played a s frontman when i've seen him.
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #106: Feb 15, 2012 11:33:58 am
      Jarvis is a right footer. He had to move to left wing ,back when they were in the championship as Michael Kightly was the best right winger in the league. TBH i would still sign him as our new left winger as competition for downing. on another note to do with wolves just sign fletcher too(10 goals)
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #107: Feb 16, 2012 01:24:03 pm
      I'm all for giving Johnson a shot at right wing, but is he really the winger we want? I think not, unfortunately.

If you notice when Glen does attack, he attacks space rather than creating it for himself. Greta wingers can create space. Someone like Valencia is great at picking out little pockets of space where he can get a good cross in. Glen uses his acceleration to burst in space where he has more time and space to get a good cross in.

Also, I'm assuming the winger we want is the winger than will get down the outside and get a cross in to Carroll's head. People go on about Johnson's shots per game and whatnot but haven't they all be on his left foot when he has cut inside?
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #108: Feb 16, 2012 02:10:07 pm
      Been saying this for a long time, completely agree. Johnson has been our most natural, skillful and creative wide player since he's joined the club and with a better defender in Martin Kelly behind this really would make sense.

Even when he plays right back he's usually our main creative outlet from out wide plus he'd be able to track back and cover as a right winger.

I'm shocked and disappointed this hasn't been put in to place already to be honest.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #109: Feb 16, 2012 02:18:27 pm
      I know.

I've always said that Johnson should be given a go at RW especially since Kelly doesn't exactly deserve to be dropped because he's such a sound RB.

I wish Kenny would give him a go.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #110: Feb 16, 2012 04:13:07 pm
      Jarvis is a left winger mate. And Levezzi is a fine player (i really like him) but he's always played a s frontman when i've seen him.

Not 100% sure (hardly watched Serie A lately) but I believe Lavezzi does play on the left of a front three for Napoli.

I think both wings need sorting to be honest. If you take Bellamy out of the equation I'd say we probably have one of the weakest set of wingers in the league. No pace, no trickery and no goals.

Got to move Glen out to the right for the rest of the season in my opinion. He can beat a man with trickery or pace, he can go on the outside but he can also cut in onto his left very well. He'll also help Kelly out when he needs it.

Hope we make it a priority to sign two wingers in the summer.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #111: Feb 16, 2012 04:59:09 pm
      ^ I have seen Lavezzi line up on the right side of a front 3 on multiple occasions and he does quite well there.  He can really play on either side as he is a pacey player who loves to get through the channels.  However, I think it will take a silly amount of money to land Lavezzi - prob around 25-30M. 

I think Affelay would be a more realistic option, and like Lavezzi he would provide an option down either flank.  He is currently out injured, but Barca hardly need him and he will be little more than an impact sub when he returns to fitness.  He is competing with Villa, Messi, Pedro, Sanchez Fabregas, Xavi, and Iniesta for one of the attacking positions.  Even the likes of Isaac Cuenca and Thiago will provide stiff competition for positions at Barca, so I don't see Affelay staying at Barca for much longer if he is hoping to get regular playing time. 

I agree with the sentiment that we really do need more quality options on both wings as Maxi, Dirk, Downing, and Hendo (when forced to play out wide) are not creating enough quality scoring chances for our forwards.  Also, I don't see Johno as the solution to our RW position, so this is something that we need to address in the summer. 
      dannylfc7
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #112: Feb 16, 2012 05:23:14 pm
      Last season we played him right midfield once against west ham away when we lost 3-1. they were bottom of the league and although johnson scored it didnt really work out. it was only one game though and i think its worth giving it another go. kelly never has bad games either and its surprising he isnt played more often.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #113: Feb 16, 2012 06:06:20 pm
      How many years now have we been on the look out for wingers, yet not one of our managers have unearthed a gem. I've gotten used to having sub standard wingers. Here is hoping we can sign one or two in the summer. With this current bunch, I would give Johnson a go. Tho I do think he is successful going forward because he comes from deep and is harder to track.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #114: Feb 16, 2012 08:21:17 pm
      I'd definitely give him a go.

Maybe a similar scenario - I remember our former fave John Arne Riise saying he preferred playing at LB than LM as he could get momemtum in his runs or something similar (this was when Houllier was playing him LM).  I'm sure he got dropped after saying it as Houllier took exception to being told where a player wanted to play. 

Maybe Riise's preference is similar to Johnson's feelings I don't know, or there is something tactical about having mobile, attacking full backs.

Quick Reply