Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man Of The Match Today?

Luis Suarez
      62 (48.4%)
      Steven Gerrard
      7 (5.5%)
      Pepe Reina
      2 (1.6%)
      Charlie Adam
      5 (3.9%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.6%)
      Jamie Carragher
      0 (0%)
      Stewart Downing
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      13 (10.2%)
      Craig Bellamy
      30 (23.4%)
      Someone else?
      7 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Liverpool 1-1 Norwich - post match frustration

Read 48064 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Norwich
      Reply #644: Oct 22, 2011 10:11:19 pm
      Is that counted as a shot then?
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #645: Oct 22, 2011 10:18:02 pm
      Should have been done an dusted first 20 mins ,bitterly disappointed at the points we are giving away .
      TBH I dont think we are that far away its just results like this game and the Sunderland game that really piss me off they WILL come back to haunt us ,  draws tomorrow so the rest of the field dont get further away would help .
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #646: Oct 22, 2011 10:29:09 pm
      That stat says to me that we need someone to put the chances away
      CR, we already have those players. I know that you are not a big fan of Carroll, but he is still a very talented target man. By the way, here is what Rafa has said about him last week:

by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo
      Oct 13 2011

Benitez continues to analyze games even today.

Which is why he believes Andy Carroll will be a big success at Anfield.

Benitez used John Carew as a target-man integral to his game-plan at his la Liga winning Valencia side and also brought Peter Crouch to Fernando Morientes to Anfield.

And he likes what he has seen from Carroll so far.

“Carew was not a target man. Believe me. He was so fast that we used him to play counter-attack,” said Benitez.

“I remember against Arsenal in the Champions League and he was amazing against Sol Campbell.

“But you need to have different types of player. We brought Crouch and Morientes in because when I arrived we had Baros and Cisse, who could run, but we didn’t have a target man.

“We brought Morientes in to be good in the air, hold the ball and give time to the others. Then we brought Crouch in because Morientes did not settle down.

“Carroll is that type of player, because Liverpool already have Suarez with mobility, Bellamy is a very good striker with mobility, so they need Carroll. He is a good option.

“But you do need to explain to the other players how to play with a target man and if they can’t play with a target man then they have to go.

“You need to support him, run in the right places, give him the right balls.

“My idea with someone like Crouch was for him to flick the ball on for others to run behind and other players to support.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/10/13/former-liverpool-fc-manager-rafael-benitez-eyes-new-premier-league-position-100252-29587446/#ixzz1afUxkJmd

Now, there was obviously some sort of a plan when we've decided to sell a world class finisher like Torres, and replace him with Carroll and Suarez. The price tag of both players would suggest that they have been bought to be starters. If that was the original plan, it is time for Kenny to put that plan in action. The longer we wait, the longer we will struggle.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #647: Oct 22, 2011 10:35:53 pm
      Voted Enrique for MOTM , good performance,attacking and defending ,making last year's vulnerable position on the left  safe now , Luis gave 110% just not finding the net ,but tried like hell ! we had a good first half but then Adam run out of gas ,Stevie is 2 yards short of pace,Kuyt ? runs round like hell but frustrates the hell out of me because he loses control,and makes poor decisions , the game should have been out of sight by half time , we must attack in 2's and 3's and not totally rely on Luis , must put our chances away !
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #648: Oct 22, 2011 10:40:24 pm
      This is just the team we are now, gone are the days of smashing the likes of Norwich without getting out of 3rd gear
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #649: Oct 22, 2011 10:44:07 pm
      Voted Enrique for MOTM , good performance,attacking and defending ,making last year's vulnerable position on the left  safe now , Luis gave 110% just not finding the net ,but tried like hell ! we had a good first half but then Adam run out of gas ,Stevie is 2 yards short of pace,Kuyt ? runs round like hell but frustrates the hell out of me because he loses control,and makes poor decisions , the game should have been out of sight by half time , we must attack in 2's and 3's and not totally rely on Luis , must put our chances away !
      All relevant points mate but how the hell did that ball stay out of their net so many times?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Norwich - post match frustration
      Reply #650: Oct 22, 2011 11:41:52 pm
      Need to start converting our chances and not letting teams get back in the game by going to sleep for half an hour.

Thought we deserved to win, very annoyed that we didn't.
      Joe D Pistone
      • Banned

• 8 posts |
      Reply #651: Oct 22, 2011 11:51:19 pm
      We are just not ruthless or efficient enough to be a top 4 team. The top 4 teams are in a different stratosphere to liverpool in my opinion. I would also add Spurs to that list who i i think are superior to us in a large number of positions. We are lacking class all over the pitch. We just don't keep the ball well enough for sustained periods. We continue to play Kuyt who for me is an extremely limited footballer technically and more crucially when the game get's tight and teams sit back on the edge of their box, his footballing attributes or lack off come to the fore. As always after a bad result we as supporters tend to over analyze and over elaborate but i'm just giving an honest opinion on what i have seen on the pitch over the past 9 games.

We played better football at the tail end of last season than we have so far this season and that is worrying with the heavy investment we have made. Downing, Carroll and Adam have yet to turn up consistently. If i am being honest all three have been mediocre and inconsistent. For 20M and 35M respectively you expect the finished article. These are also two player who don't need to adapt to the league. Very worrying signs too is our over reliance on Suarez. Granted he missed some chances today but a lot of them were of his own making. His general play was immense to say the least. Ironically in the vast majority of games we have played this season we have been the better team over 90 minutes. Defensive mistakes and a lack of quality in front of goal has cost us dear. I would expect the top 3 teams to go away from the pack as the season progresses. I'd be amazed if we got 4th. I don't think we have the quality or consistency to grab a CL place
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #652: Oct 23, 2011 12:06:06 am
      I've always said that Suarez is not a clinical out and out striker. He plays 'up front' and loves to roam from edge of the box to edge of the box. He can create and he can baffle defenders - but he also baffles himself.

Seriously, the guy needs a lot more composure in front of goal, he needs to stay on his feet more. He needs to discipline himself, or KK needs to do it. Right now he's a headless chicken running around on instinct.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #653: Oct 23, 2011 12:07:54 am
      Need to start converting our chances and not letting teams get back in the game by going to sleep for half an hour.

Thought we deserved to win, very annoyed that we didn't.

very worried about our signings mate, except for Enrique, they aren't producing
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #654: Oct 23, 2011 12:08:57 am
      Ian Rush was once asked if he was letting a lack of goals bother him, he said it doesnt matter , if the chances dry up then he has a problem. Same with the reds today, fantastic football just really unlucky. Im really enjoying our team at the moment, think of where we were this time last year . The goals will come.

Very good attitude to todays game. Very refreshing to read. I'm in agreement that someone is soon to get a hiding from us. When the chances aren't being created, that's when you have to worry.

One other thing, how much was Lucas missed today.

I think we missed him Billy. We were too loose between defence and midfield in the second half - especially in that casual phase we went through for about 20 mins. Charlie Adam can't run so can't chase people down and Gerrard is still not fully fit for me.

I knew Norwich were going to be up for a game today and it came in the second half. You have to give all credit to them because the play footy and knock it round on the deck. They've adopted the best approach to the game and I think they'll do well this season if they keep the right attitude towards never giving up.

What else can you say? Obviously we had about 9 on target attempts that weren't blocked. So it easily could have been about 5,6,7,8,9-1 to us. But luck was on their side coupled with some excellent goalkeeping.

The sad thing is seeing so many reds wanting to point blame somewhere rather than accepting that there'll be days like this every season. I'm very confident that someone is going to be on the end of a hiding from us soon. As long as we keep creating so many chances, it keeps the opposition out of your half. Today we just couldn't put them away which bred confidence in them and deflated ours.

I'm gutted it was a draw as I don't think it was a fair reflection of the game. But we've only got ourselves to blame for some loose defending when the game should have been over years ago.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #655: Oct 23, 2011 12:15:37 am
      Have to say, upon reading, I've never known a less clinical team than us.

We could easily win games in a heartbeat, we just don't finish.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #656: Oct 23, 2011 12:21:14 am
      I've always said that Suarez is not a clinical out and out striker. He plays 'up front' and loves to roam from edge of the box to edge of the box. He can create and he can baffle defenders - but he also baffles himself.

Seriously, the guy needs a lot more composure in front of goal, he needs to stay on his feet more. He needs to discipline himself, or KK needs to do it. Right now he's a headless chicken running around on instinct.

to be fair Luis finishing skills was as good as his assist skill at Ajax. And i believe he still has it in him. you don't loose skill like that. I honestly think he will be top of his game before new year.
      SoCalLFCChick
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #657: Oct 23, 2011 12:35:19 am
      I want to say we should have won, but it doesn't feel like we deserved to. We had the players to win the game but didn't use them or brought them on too late. I think Suarez is a great player for us and he had some outstanding chances, but this game was not working for him. Norwich defense was awesome, I really couldn't be mad at them for getting things done properly.

Not a fan of Kenny waiting until 20mins are left to sub. I understand giving players chances, but he doesn't seem to recognize that the same players every game is not gonna work against all out opponents. Sadly we are just not that team, but atleast we have a decent selection to choose from to make it work. JUST USE THEM :f_steam:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #658: Oct 23, 2011 12:35:44 am
      very worried about our signings mate, except for Enrique, they aren't producing

I don't really agree mate. Suarez has been our best player this season. Enrique has been outstanding since he came. Downing started off great, but has hit a sticky patch at the moment. Bellamy has done much better than I expected (I didn't have high expectations). Carroll and Henderson .... maybe you have a point with these two. Adam has been hit and miss for me so far, more hit than miss imo, but he needs more consistancy if he is going to hold his place once Henderson hits form.

We are desperately short of a goalscorer imo, Kuyt has never been clinical (more the hit it hard and hope, or scraps scorer), we need someone to take on that role, be it Carroll or a new signing.   
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #659: Oct 23, 2011 12:47:35 am
      I don't really agree mate. Suarez has been our best player this season. Enrique has been outstanding since he came. Downing started off great, but has hit a sticky patch at the moment. Bellamy has done much better than I expected (I didn't have high expectations). Carroll and Henderson . . maybe you have a point with these two. Adam has been hit and miss for me so far, more hit than miss imo, but he needs more consistancy if he is going to hold his place once Henderson hits form.

We are desperately short of a goalscorer imo, Kuyt has never been clinical (more the hit it hard and hope, or scraps scorer), we need someone to take on that role, be it Carroll or a new signing.   

That's the thing that's worrying me mate, I agree about Suarez and Enrique, but Downing isn't producing, he isn't showing the type of form that he showed with Aston Villa, but I'm confident that he will eventually. Adam agreed, hit and miss needs to get a level of consistency. My biggest worry is Carroll.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #660: Oct 23, 2011 01:28:45 am
      Disappointed doesn't quite cover it, we had the chances and, not for the first time, failed to convert them.  A few other things that I want to discuss, but I'm not sober enough to express them, clearly, at present.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #661: Oct 23, 2011 04:10:32 am
      Well we need to be more clinical saurez tries very hard every game give him that, yes he tries hard, dribbles but if he cant score its not worth much. looking at our goal difference speaks volumes what is it now 1.
      Thats not good enough for a top top four  finish but 7th probably. So thats the thing to look for in the coming weeks see if that improves.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #662: Oct 23, 2011 04:50:17 am
      I'm not buying that Suarez isn't a goalscorer and people arguing from that stand point are losing respect in my eyes. He's scored a good amount of goals throughout his career, internationally and domestically. He gets in positions to score, he keeps creating his own and others and yes he's missed a few easy chances recently but for that to suddenly warrant this turncoat attitude disgusts me. He's absolutely been the best signing we've made for years, a truly world class player of exceptional talent that every single defender will not enjoy playing against him. With regards him going down too often, I think there's some weight in this, but I also believe he gets abused by defenders and when you come in for that treatment sometimes it's a self preservation tactic, rather than riding challenges and ending up with injuries due to constantly being kicked around. Please show the guy the respect he deserves and our support rather than this drivvle that is beginning to rumble on here.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #663: Oct 23, 2011 05:09:10 am
      Shooting practice for all.

Tore them to bits and the chances we had to the chances we took is completely unacceptable. You can't expect to create 30 scoring chances and scoring just one will be good enough to win matches.

Other than that some real positives. Glen is back, Jose was terrific, Gerrard was terrific, Charlie is gradually improving his attacking game and becoming smarter, Bellars got his first goal for the club again and Suarez was ripping the sh*t out of their defence.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #664: Oct 23, 2011 06:47:16 am
      For me this match was another sign of growing pains, a little more confidence and some of those misses go in. Only thing to do is keep pushing and continue attacking like we did, sooner or later the goals will come. 30 chances is on hellavu attacking effort we just need to follow thru and things will fall into place.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #665: Oct 23, 2011 07:07:39 am
      Looking back now, Dirk had a stinker.

Was hoping for Andy to come on for him and Hendo for Adam.

Anyways, on to the next game.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #666: Oct 23, 2011 07:31:56 am
      Horribly frustrating, held off posting because I didn't want to knee-jerk.

All in all, the first half was very good, plenty of chances created, but after 15-20 minutes gone and several chances gone amiss, I started getting that "oh-oh" feeling that we were going to struggle to kill off the match.

When Bellamy scored, I thought we'd done the hard part and would push on in the second half, but as has happened all too often, we switched off. You could feel their goal coming, despite them having very few clear chances, and in it went.

What I really don't like is how early in the match you can see the players start to panic. As early as the hour mark, you can see us starting to play too directly, trying to force passes forward instead of picking the right moment, and things go from bad to worse. I honestly feel that mentality is costing us points and wins, and with more patience to continue building forwards we would do better.

Don't want to comment too much on individuals, though I was very disappointed with Downing, in particular his decision making. For me, he was off completely yesterday, shooting when he should have passed or crossed, and vice versa. Is he feeling the pressure of not getting goals/assists? I don't know, but his play didn't seem very natural to me, a break could do him good perhaps.

I thought Bellamy was our man of the match, really impressed me with his driving runs and was very influential throughout, I was disappointed when he went off.

As for Suarez, don't know where to start. He was immense, creating numerous chances out of thin air, magical skills on the ball, but another guilty of trying TOO hard? He does look like he feels he has to win every match himself, and in his defence he was often isolated, and our midfield needs to support him more for our play to become more balanced.

To sum up, F***ing gutted, we should have hammered them and didn't, something I'm sick of typing. We need to pull ourselves together sharpish. Granted, the season is long and we have plenty of matches left, but it could quickly start slipping away the way the individual matches are, we need to turn things around now.

Quick Reply