Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

We're putting too much pressure on the team

Read 3710 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      We're putting too much pressure on the team
      Oct 23, 2011 01:57:36 am
      Thought that this was an issue that needs addressing. The result of only gaining two points against Norwich and Manchester United is a bitter disappointment for us fans because we expected 6 points from these games. But I do feel that while it is important that we make Anfield the intimidating cauldron it is, we have to make sure that it's not intimidating our own players. It is understandable. A summer of transformation with some fine players coming in and us looking immediately for them to perform and take us to the top. But with that expectation there does seem to be an anxiety about the play at times lately at Anfield both on the pitch and in the stands and I really don't think that is helped by us lot making exasperated noises and the likes from players that make mistakes in play. The team are desperate to impress us and not disappoint so they're already under a lot of pressure but lately there's been a lot of negative noises made against players. I was at the Wolves game a few weeks back and I was a bit disappointed at the noises made, especially against Jordan, whenever he lost the ball.  I really feel it is important that we don't show our frustrations to the team on the field. You know it yourself on the pitch when just one of your team mates hold their hands up at you so imagine what 40,000 odd fans is like.

Let's stay cool guys when we see one of our players in a bit of trouble. Pick him up, don't knock him down!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Re: We're putting too much pressure on the team
      Reply #1: Oct 23, 2011 11:25:19 am
      Loads slagging the players off and Kenny yesterday and rightly so in some respects but the second a team scores against us or has a decent run of play, Anfield turns into the most tense nerve wracking ground possible and the players know it. The expectation to beat the 'lesser' teams is like a curse and until the players and the fans treat the likes of Norwich like Man U nothing will change. Three points is three points no matter who you beat. Some of our fans 'expect' us to beat the relegation fodder, but like the players they only 'turn up' for the big games too. Yeah you pay your money to go and are entitled to moan and these players on superstar wages shouldn't need motivation but in holy trinity of players, manager and fans we are all lacking against the smaller teams.
      Joe D Pistone
      • Banned

• 8 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 23, 2011 11:35:34 am
      Pressiure is living on the breadline with two kids and looking to pay off a mortgage, not running out at anfield with 40,000 kopites behind you. Are champion teams like Barca, Real, Man U not under pressure every game to keep the level and standard up year in year out? Stop making excuses for a catalogue of poor buys from Dalglish.  We are too quick to go on the defensive and state it's early days, players have to gel,we have to find our best eleven. This has been endemic of liverpool the past two decades. Are top teams afforded that luxery. Successive managers at Anfield have been poor in the market. That's what makes a great manager. Having an eye for a player. You live and die by it. i'm afraod Kenny has bought terribly for the money spent.

Carroll, Downig, Adam and Henderson have't enhanced the team "so far". Let me stress we are only 9 games into the season. What i will say is for 35M(Carroll), 20M(Downing) ad 16M (Henderson), i expect to see ready made stellar qualty. True gamechangers. We bought potential with Carroll and Hendo. We needed ready made quality to push us on. Carroll and Henderson were always a risk. Unproven and young with not much premier league football behind them.

We can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives either. Pepe's level has dropped this season i have to say. Carragher? Still a mainstay in the team? Should have been eased out of the team 18 months ago. There is a complete lack of pace right across midfield. We have 3-4 world class players, the rest is supplemented by a lot of mediocrity. Carra,Skrtel,Kuyt,Adam,Downing,Carroll in my opinion are either past it, not good enough and or have it all to prove. To be a championship winner or challenger you have to have that defensive aptitude. Even when things are going against you i.e terrible finishing. Champions find a way to win games like that with defensive quality and organisation. We are lacking a lot to be honest. Carragher should have been replaced a long time ago. Still no playmaker who can dictate consistently. Wide players are functional but lacking top tier class.

there is no relentless consistency in our play. 100M+ spent since January. We continually struggle to beat cannon fodder at home and away at an alarming rate. There is o doubt Kenny is the man for the job. I believe in his vision and philosophy but we need to start performing and putting the ball in the back of the net. Granted i feel the top three are superior to us collectively as a team and squad but 4th place shouldn't be beyond a team with the investment we have had.

Their are problems from back to front. I do agree that we could have spent more wisely on a better quality of player. Downing for 20M i feel was unbelievably overpriced and hasn't performed yet. Carroll is a big worry. Is Kenny losing confidence in him? He scores in the derby and then get's dropped? I think Kenny has reservations. We lack an ironclad winning mentality. Teams fear ManU and City/Chelsea. They feel they have a chance against us.

Even after substantial investment we are still lacking. Early days of course and we should be 5-6 points better off whch would have us in contention. We are a good team but we are not great. 20M for downing and 35M for Carroll. You would expect ready made world class talent. We missed a beat i feel in that respect.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #3: Oct 23, 2011 11:45:55 am
      Pressiure is living on the breadline with two kids and looking to pay off a mortgage, not running out at anfield with 40,000 kopites behind you. Are champion teams like Barca, Real, Man U not under pressure every game to keep the level and standard up year in year out? Stop making excuses for a catalogue of poor buys from Dalglish.  We are too quick to go on the defensive and state it's early days, players have to gel,we have to find our best eleven. This has been endemic of liverpool the past two decades. Are top teams afforded that luxery. Successive managers at Anfield have been poor in the market. That's what makes a great manager. Having an eye for a player. You live and die by it. i'm afraod Kenny has bought terribly for the money spent.

Carroll, Downig, Adam and Henderson have't enhanced the team "so far". Let me stress we are only 9 games into the season. What i will say is for 35M(Carroll), 20M(Downing) ad 16M (Henderson), i expect to see ready made stellar qualty. True gamechangers. We bought potential with Carroll and Hendo. We needed ready made quality to push us on. Carroll and Henderson were always a risk. Unproven and young with not much premier league football behind them.

We can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives either. Pepe's level has dropped this season i have to say. Carragher? Still a mainstay in the team? Should have been eased out of the team 18 months ago. There is a complete lack of pace right across midfield. We have 3-4 world class players, the rest is supplemented by a lot of mediocrity. Carra,Skrtel,Kuyt,Adam,Downing,Carroll in my opinion are either past it, not good enough and or have it all to prove. To be a championship winner or challenger you have to have that defensive aptitude. Even when things are going against you i.e terrible finishing. Champions find a way to win games like that with defensive quality and organisation. We are lacking a lot to be honest. Carragher should have been replaced a long time ago. Still no playmaker who can dictate consistently. Wide players are functional but lacking top tier class.

there is no relentless consistency in our play. 100M+ spent since January. We continually struggle to beat cannon fodder at home and away at an alarming rate. There is o doubt Kenny is the man for the job. I believe in his vision and philosophy but we need to start performing and putting the ball in the back of the net. Granted i feel the top three are superior to us collectively as a team and squad but 4th place shouldn't be beyond a team with the investment we have had.

Their are problems from back to front. I do agree that we could have spent more wisely on a better quality of player. Downing for 20M i feel was unbelievably overpriced and hasn't performed yet. Carroll is a big worry. Is Kenny losing confidence in him? He scores in the derby and then get's dropped? I think Kenny has reservations. We lack an ironclad winning mentality. Teams fear ManU and City/Chelsea. They feel they have a chance against us.

Even after substantial investment we are still lacking. Early days of course and we should be 5-6 points better off whch would have us in contention. We are a good team but we are not great. 20M for downing and 35M for Carroll. You would expect ready made world class talent. We missed a beat i feel in that respect.

What's your problem with Kenny?

The atmosphere for long periods was sh*te, tell me at what point, 12,000 kopites, because thats what the kop holds got behind the team yesterday and then tell me what the rest of the crowd does.

Your crying about signings. Who were you expecting us to buy, seeing as you're a big expert and far more qualified in football management, then the likes of Kenny. Especially as we have no european football this season, who did you think we should of bought in the summer.

Hindsight being the F***ing marvellous thing that it is?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #4: Oct 23, 2011 12:11:28 pm

In the main the above is the most pessimistic comment on the manage''s tenure I've been subjected to.
      The monies you speak of in the final snipe were the result of a generous donation by Chelski FC and anyone who expects either player to gel instantly is severely mistaken, perhaps there is a sub text here because you planting all this sh*te on the managers' shoulders is far from positive,
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #5: Oct 23, 2011 12:22:36 pm
      There is always going to be pressure at a club like Liverpool. Sure up until a few weeks ago people were saying we would win the league
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #6: Oct 23, 2011 12:28:50 pm
      There is always going to be pressure at a club like Liverpool. Sure up until a few weeks ago people were saying we would win the league

It's not just that though, it's the extra pressure that is put on the team by the crowd, who rather than get behind the team, like we do ala the mancs, what happens is those that aren't entertained and seeing goals start moaning and it just grows with more people moaning and groaning than actually supporting the team and I bet it's quite audible to the players.
      « Last Edit: Oct 23, 2011 12:40:46 pm by HUYTON RED »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Oct 23, 2011 12:36:50 pm
      Sure up until a few weeks ago people were saying we would win the league

What's the point in this post mate? Let me guess - you were right, we were wrong and...you told us so.

Just as two weeks ago saw some fans suggest we had a chance of winning the league, after two good results (against the 'old enemy): we also witnessed some snide, half-wits go into hiding. What a difference two weeks can make; eh?
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #8: Oct 23, 2011 12:39:35 pm

You for real?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #9: Oct 23, 2011 12:48:54 pm
      Are you suggesting i went into hiding because of results your sadly mistaken bb. It was more to do with the hounding i was getting when making comments like we wouldn't win the league and that top 4would be a good achievement by Kenny and the team. Your comment is the snide one while my comment was a general one about the topic yours was a personal one
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,372 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Oct 23, 2011 12:58:35 pm
      Seriously, the day there is no pressure on Liverpool FC to perform and to be the best is the same day a part of me will die.

If certain players cant perform at Anfield because of pressure then they should not pull on that shirt simple as that for me
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #11: Oct 23, 2011 01:14:37 pm
      Shaping up to be a real wum.
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #12: Oct 23, 2011 01:20:09 pm
      yes there is alot of pressure on the team but if the lads keep slipping up arsenal spurs necastle will be miles ahead of us :f_steam:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: Oct 23, 2011 01:29:37 pm
      Are you suggesting i went into hiding because of results your sadly mistaken bb. It was more to do with the hounding i was getting when making comments like we wouldn't win the league and that top 4would be a good achievement by Kenny and the team.
      That's exactly what I was suggesting corbally but if you are telling me you went into hiding because you got hounded then I'm happy to believe you. I'm glad that you've got over that but I'm sure you'll understand that the timing of your 'return' could easily be mis-interpreted. Forgive me if I have.

Your comment is the snide one while my comment was a general one about the topic yours was a personal one
      You are right, I've no need to lie, my comment was snide. Although you are mistaken if you believe yours wasn't. Again, if you are telling us that it wasn't a classic corbally 'told you so', I'll happily believe you. You'll understand why one could have thought it was, I'm sure; so forgive me if I got it wrong.

Listen corbally; I actually enjoy reading your views on players, team selection and formation, for e.g. (many of them mirror my own) - I just don't get why you have a need to point out that 'you told us so'. It detracts for, otherwise, solid posts mate and gives the impression that you gloat at our misfortune. Maybe that's why you were "hounded", I don't know. I do know it's something that can be rectified.

Pressure is all part and parcel of playing football and (whilst I understand the sentiment behind the question) top players should be able to cope. It's what sets them aside. If they can't handle it then, in my opinion, they're wrong for this club.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Oct 24, 2011 12:46:57 am
      Mr Joe  D  Pissed On.

Weren't you the one who called our new signings " journeymen"?

Anyway.

If I was paid 100,000 pounds a week to pull on my favourite shirt in football and do a job I loved:  then any pressure that came with that I would love.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #15: Oct 24, 2011 10:21:10 am
      of course there isn't too much preassure, we're a big club and want titles. the biggest preassure on players should be coming from themselves, which should be manifesting in their performances week in week out. it's why we admire people like carra, stevie, suarez, kuyt, lucas. even if they don't play well, they still run their hearts out every game. if you get pansies like torres, miereles and mascherano who start thinking they're too big for the club, then regardless of how quality they are, they should f*** right off. and if a player can't handle the preassure of playing for lfc...they can also f*** off.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,535 posts | 3470 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #16: Oct 24, 2011 10:24:20 am
      I don't think it is pressure but expectancy. Some people do moan way too much if we're not ten nil up ater 10 minutes but the fact is we have to back Kenny and the team and take it from there.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #17: Oct 24, 2011 11:52:20 am
      I have to disagree about the pressure and the comments in the opening post.

Good teams no I will rephrase great teams thrive on the pressure and thats what seperates the good from the great. Take any sport be it individual such as tennis, golf etc or team sports rugby and football for example and the team/individual that ultimatley build the pressure on themselves and handle it are the ones that come away victorious.

We are capable of this our mentality just needs to change.

LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #18: Oct 24, 2011 01:02:35 pm
      Being paid between £30,000 AND £120,000 a week to play football ..........I wouldnt mind that Pressure.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #19: Oct 26, 2011 12:25:03 am
      I don't think it is pressure but expectancy. Some people do moan way too much if we're not ten nil up ater 10 minutes but the fact is we have to back Kenny and the team and take it from there.

Good point.  I heard people calling for Kenny to be sacked last Saturday.  Absolutely pitiful to hear such utter and complete toilet nonsense.

I think the unrealistic expectation of some fans could be the problem (hence the knee jerking after a couple of draws where we should have won - but it happens, that's football).
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #20: Oct 26, 2011 02:47:59 am
      Nah, poor excuse this one.

For one, they get paid to put up with this pressure. Two, they're professionals, they should be able to put up with the pressure. Three, they're doing what most people can only dream of, as a profession, and get paid for it, it's almost a privilege, not a chore. Four, this isn't an excuse for Manchester, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barca, etc. so it shouldn't be for us either.

We've got to buy the players who are quality, yet show the leadership and are able to live up to the pressure. So far this season, not many of them have. That isn't because we're putting too much pressure on them, that's because there is that pressure associated with playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, and the day we lose that, is the day we've lost our heart.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #21: Oct 26, 2011 02:49:04 am
      Nah, poor excuse this one.

For one, they get paid to put up with this pressure. Two, they're professionals, they should be able to put up with the pressure. Three, they're doing what most people can only dream of, as a profession, and get paid for it, it's almost a privilege, not a chore. Four, this isn't an excuse for Manchester, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barca, etc. so it shouldn't be for us either.

We've got to buy the players who are quality, yet show the leadership and are able to live up to the pressure. So far this season, not many of them have. That isn't because we're putting too much pressure on them, that's because there is that pressure associated with playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, and the day we lose that, is the day we've lost our heart.

Sums it up. Top post
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #22: Oct 26, 2011 03:25:11 am
      Barcelona are winning .. do they have pressure? Of course they do. It is always there because Liverpool fans have high expectations.
      I don't want us to just win though. I want us to win playing great football while sending Alex and his Army of Shitehounds to bowels of hell. IS THAT SO WRONG!!!

Quick Reply