Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Why Isn't Andy Carroll Starting Games?

Read 12615 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Why Isn't Andy Carroll Starting Games?
      Reply #69: Dec 17, 2011 01:50:00 pm
      Why isn't Andy starting? Simply because Kenny doesn't feel, for whatever reason, that it's not what is best for Liverpool at that point. Why he chooses to go without playing him could be for a number of reasons; from fitness to tactical but to say Kenny's not playing him, from the start, because he's "not good enough" doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny. In fact it's daft.

If it were simply a case that "he's not good enough" we'd have to accept that the same must hold true for every other player. It's more a case of 'horses for courses' in my honest opinion. Andy's time will come - be sure of that. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #70: Dec 17, 2011 03:43:55 pm
      People should ask themselves why Kenny appears to be giving Jordan Henderson every opportunity but doesn't appear to be giving Carroll the same opportunity
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,279 posts | 8588 
      Reply #71: Dec 17, 2011 03:44:59 pm
      People should ask themselves why Kenny appears to be giving Jordan Henderson every opportunity but doesn't appear to be giving Carroll the same opportunity

Because we've got players injured and suspended in midfield!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #72: Dec 17, 2011 03:48:35 pm
      He was starting long before that ahead of Maxi Kuyt and Bellamy
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #73: Dec 17, 2011 04:01:57 pm

For the same reason Bellamy & Maxi weren't getting a sniff for the first few games of the season I'd imagine, because Kenny believed other players could offer more to the team. In answer to the topic title,  personally don't think its rocket science meself. He isn't starting games because when he does play, he isn't playing well enough to cement a place in the team, nor is he contributing enough to justify someone else losing their place. Kenny is clearly picking those he presumes will do the job on the pitch, currently the big man isn't one of them, up to him to prove otherwise.

Personally still have every faith that over the course of his contract (Hes not even 1/5 of a way through it yet for some perspective) he will do that.

End of the day Kenny knows best. If he isn't doing the business in training or on the pitch Kenny won't pick him.

That being said, would put my house on the big man not going anywhere in January, or in Summer for that matter. Hes here for the long term.
      « Last Edit: Dec 17, 2011 04:16:05 pm by Dannylfc »
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #74: Dec 17, 2011 04:06:45 pm
      I have every confidence that Andy will come good for us. What i have noticed is that in his recent appearances he has looked very sluggish and awkward. He's obviously not back anywhere near full fitness and i think that is the reason he's not been starting as regularly.

Another thing i have noticed is that we seem to put more crosses into the box when Andy isn't on the pitch as opposed to when he is on the pitch. It's really strange.

As for the 'not good enough' comments, they are opinions but i don't agree with them and Andy can fit into the pass and move system that we use. I've lost count of the amount of times i've seen Carroll go mental this Season when team mates have skied long diagonals into him when he's wanted it to feet.

Now if we can get more crosses into the box when Andy is actually on the pitch then we might see a different Carroll, not raking diagonals, proper crosses form the byline. He's got great feet, we've witnessed it from both sides of our Club, as team mates and opponents.

Have no doubt, Kenny knew why he wanted Carroll, because he'll fit into what Kenny has envisioned for the future.

Pass and move football is the best football but our football style over the years has always involved quality wingers as well. You have to have variety in the side or you become way too easy to predict, as Arsenal have proven over the years. I still liken the Suarez / Carroll partnership to the Keegan / Toshack partnership and can see what Kenny is trying to do here.

It's not going to happen in an instant, people need to remember that, Carroll is still recovering from injury as well, that is clear to see. We are still missing a right winger and i hope to see that situation resolved in January, either that or start Downing and Bellamy on the flanks.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #75: Dec 17, 2011 04:11:57 pm
      I personally dont think his future position with us is as assured as some people think. I agree dont think he will go anywhere in January. But it is simple Carroll has to start performing from here to the summer.  Because if he doesn't im willing to bet the club would sell at the right price. We can't wait for ever for him.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #76: Dec 17, 2011 04:19:03 pm
      For the same reason Bellamy & Maxi weren't getting a sniff for the first few games of the season as well I'd imagine

Exactly mate: If one applies the childlike logic that Kenny's not picking Andy because "he's not good enough" then the same must be said of Bellamy & Maxi (and anyone else) - which is a nonsensical really.

Kenny is clearly picking those he presumes will do the job on the pitch, currently the big man isn't one of them

Nail on the head again. Totally on point and on topic. As you say - it ain't rocket science.  :-\
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #77: Dec 17, 2011 04:32:02 pm
      People can continue to make excuses for the lad all they want. The only person that can silence doubters like myself is good performances from the lad. Personally i think the only decent performance he put in this season is wolves at home. Dont like hearing Reina saying he is the worst trainer at the club.  This back from injury excuse really has to stop as well he is back since April and has a full pre season behind him
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #78: Dec 17, 2011 04:55:15 pm
      Preseason people were saying they were worried Kenny would play Carroll regardless of form, in an attempt to force him into the team, and it would harm the team.

And now its clear Kenny won't do that the tables have turned.

At first it was he shouldn't play because the team is more important, now that is happening it is now a 'worrying' sign he isn't playing. Couldn't make it up.
      iiBonKeRsS
      • Banned

• 162 posts |
      • Reppin' Liverpool FC Since 1892.
      Reply #79: Dec 17, 2011 05:16:27 pm
      The reason Andy does not start is because he is an overrated striker playing for a club too good for him.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #80: Dec 17, 2011 05:20:15 pm
      I just wish Kenny will use him more as to prepare him to be a mature lethal attacker years to come. But at this moment I don't see him getting much chance as he needs to work on his movement and speed a bit.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #81: Dec 17, 2011 05:26:54 pm
      Will people tell me why they think he will become a lethal attacker. Not arguing i just dont see it and would like someone to tell me what aspects of his game that will make him lethal
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #82: Dec 17, 2011 05:29:34 pm
      Talk is up here he's not really happy at Liverpool, he hasn't settled into the area, don't know how true that is, just repeating what some of the hardcore geordie fans I know are saying.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #83: Dec 17, 2011 05:31:46 pm
      He cant be who would sitting on the bench and looking more and more likely he wont be in the England squad for the euros
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #84: Dec 17, 2011 05:34:57 pm
      He cant be who would sitting on the bench and looking more and more likely he wont be in the England squad for the euros

From what they were saying mate, it was more about settling into the area than it was football.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,279 posts | 8588 
      Reply #85: Dec 17, 2011 05:37:20 pm
      Talk is up here he's not really happy at Liverpool, he hasn't settled into the area, don't know how true that is, just repeating what some of the hardcore geordie fans I know are saying.

Excuse me if I don't take the word of a bunch of F***ing retards still with a chip on their shoulder about the European Capital of Culture.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #86: Dec 17, 2011 05:39:02 pm
      At first it was he shouldn't play because the team is more important, now that is happening it is now a 'worrying' sign he isn't playing. Couldn't make it up.

Scary isn't it.  ;D

Since 2009 my posts are littered with my opinion that the team and not individuals is what's important to me. I honestly don't give two fucks who plays as long (as we perform and win) - that goes for Andy Carroll. If he never kicks a ball (and we win) I won't lose any sleep. If he gets picked I want him to play well and score - simply because that will aid us in that quest. Not the most complicated of thoughts I'll grant you but there you go. I digress...

The topic asks why he's not starting NOT our personal opinion on him (the best place for that would be in the player thread, I'd have thought). Andy's not starting, in my opinion, (just as Maxi, Bellamy and anyone else who were not picked) simply because Kenny is picking a team which, he feels, is tactically more able to produce a win. Surely, (as you rightly point out), that's all we can ask.

I don't believe that Maxi and Bellamy weren't picked because they "weren't good enough" so, (unless I have a childlike disliking of the big fella); why would I think the total opposite with Carroll?

Like others, I'm sure he'll get his chance and, like everyone, I hope he takes it and we win.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #87: Dec 17, 2011 05:43:19 pm
      I know we paid top dollar but I wish everybody would just forget what we paid for him, it doesn't matter anymore he's an lfc player get behind him! No matter how much we paid for him people who expected a young lad from Newcastle with 6months prem experience to come in and be to the required standard with in 12 months (less if you include injury) is deluded. Yes it was a lot of money but we didn't shell it out for current ability we shelled it out for potential, so quit stifilling it and be a little more constructive with your criticism. And I do think another striker is what we need in Jan I think it could be great for his development
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,279 posts | 8588 
      Reply #88: Dec 17, 2011 05:45:45 pm
      He was starting long before that ahead of Maxi Kuyt and Bellamy

Who? Carroll or Henderson?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #89: Dec 17, 2011 05:47:44 pm
      Bring Fowler back as a striking coach, get him to work very closely with Andy.

Teach him about getting into the right area's to get onto the end of things, F**k me if any one had the knack for that it was God.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #90: Dec 17, 2011 05:48:25 pm
      Still waiting to hear a decent argument why he is going to be top class
      in fowlers auto blood fowlers says he didn't know how he did it it came naturally.  Goalscorers are natural very hard to train the art of scoring
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #91: Dec 17, 2011 05:56:00 pm
      Bring Fowler back as a striking coach, get him to work very closely with Andy.

Teach him about getting into the right area's to get onto the end of things, f**k me if any one had the knack for that it was God.

Sadly even Robbie cant teach it. You're born with that ability that gift you've either got it or you aint.
      Robbie had it.
      Rushie had it.
      Aldo had it.
      Andy hasn't got it but that doesn't mean he cant be a top player for us.
      Toshack & Hunt didnt have it..

Quick Reply