Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 325685 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #1012: May 09, 2014 02:13:09 am
      It's a great series. The direction has what got my attention the most. Of course, the acting and characterization are really good. But, there has been a lot of research on the body language of the characters. There is a lot of difference between how Kevin spacey reacts to a situation and how Robin wright/Kate Mara react to a similar situation. And, they have given attention to the body language of the actor when he/she is faced with a situation. A ruthless character takes a deep breath and doesn't answer a question quickly in order to hide the truth. There are a lot of such subtle things that have been taken care of.

Haven't watched it but it was interesting to hear a financial expert on the radio talk about Netflix a few weeks back. They're upping the monthly fee for new subscribers and he said it was because they are going to be investing billions in exclusive material.
      He explained that House of Cards being so popular was no fluke. Netflix constantly gather data about what we're all watching, which is no secret because they then offer us recommendations. However, they've looked at that data to find out what the majority like. Apparently political dramas are very popular so they chose to make one. They then found that Kevin Spacey is about the most popular actor so they gave him the lead role and so on...
      I don't suppose it's a bad thing as long as they still offer plenty of other shows and films.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #1013: May 09, 2014 03:23:38 am
      I don't suppose it's a bad thing as long as they still offer plenty of other shows and films.

Interesting.
      Big companies monitoring people's activities is an  open secret. I would expect nothing else from them. But, if what this guy says is true, then they are moving one step up in the value chain, which puts them in direct competition with the other production houses. And, I would hazard a guess that movie shows on Netflix might not be as freely available as it used to be.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #1014: May 09, 2014 06:30:08 am
      Interesting.
      Big companies monitoring people's activities is an  open secret. I would expect nothing else from them. But, if what this guy says is true, then they are moving one step up in the value chain, which puts them in direct competition with the other production houses. And, I would hazard a guess that movie shows on Netflix might not be as freely available as it used to be.

Indeed. My guess is that we'll see a kind of golden period where Netflix will remain good value as quality shows are added (and created) then greed will take over and subscription fees will rise even more for customers old and new and / or pay per view features will be added.
      Just a hunch. As things stand I still think it's a great value service, particularly for those up us without Sky / cable.

Bier
      Reply #1015: May 09, 2014 11:50:09 am
      Yeah, it's true. Netflix use their own data when creating new series. It's also why they pick up older previously cancelled series, like Arrested Development, Trailer Park Boys and The Killing. Certainly gives Netflix an advantage all that data.

I'm fine with it as they seem to go for quality(I love House of Cards). And there's some interesting series coming on Netflix, like Narcos(about Pablo Escobar), Sense8(sci fi by the Wachowskis), and a bunch of superhero series(Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, The Defenders).

I think we're going to have more high quality series than ever. TV as it was is slowly dissapearing, global on demand access is going to mean more income and higher budgets for tv series. And so many companies want a piece of the pie. It's why even the History Channel is now starting to produce original drama like Vikings, there's alot of money to be made. Awesome series by the way, any of you seen it?

But it's interesting how different Netflix is doing it compared to Amazon, who are basically more crowdsourcing their content. Amazon, besides letting their viewers directly choose out of several pilots, also started an online production house to which anyone basically can pitch their ideas to or send in a pilot. Netflix are also throwing alot of money at it, while Amazon are taking a more careful approach budget wise.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2014 12:20:33 pm by Bier »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1016: May 09, 2014 12:55:26 pm
      Watching some Farscape, really is a cracking bit of sci-fi.

What channel mate?

Is it repeats of the old series?
      I used to love that show. Cracking bit of sci-fi, as you say :)
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1017: May 09, 2014 01:00:14 pm
      I think that because there are so many characters (including a couple of composite characters not in the books), the back stories need updating and filling in at some point, and that's what we've seen.
      If I'm right, the action, plus boobs, will pick up again soon and then keep going up until the series finale.

There are two big events coming up that have to happen this season. With not all that many episodes left, I expect some pretty exciting stuff here on in.

On the Netflix subject they just emailed to say my original sign up price is not going up to 6.99 (as it is now for new customers). They say they promise to not change my 'plan or price' for two years.

I liked House of Cards, it seemed to me to be the first Netflix exclusive to actually bring people in just to watch it. As it is now it's very much worth it for me, and if they keep adding old shows (Scrubs for instance just got added) as well as making new exclusives, then I'll probably keep my subscription going.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1018: May 09, 2014 01:23:25 pm
      What channel mate?

Is it repeats of the old series?
      I used to love that show. Cracking bit of sci-fi, as you say :)

Pick TV are showing it, only started in April, but I recently picked up the blurays, which look and sound fantastic. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1019: May 09, 2014 01:40:57 pm
      Pick TV are showing it, only started in April, but I recently picked up the blurays, which look and sound fantastic.

OK, thanks mate.
      I think it's time for me to pick them up on disc as well. A worthy addition to any collection.
      If they were on a channel with no ads, I'd watch them on TV.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1020: May 11, 2014 06:05:48 pm
      Anyone on here watch the tomorrow people?
      rayniac
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #1021: May 21, 2014 08:54:56 am
      Oh, I see...

As a huge fan of books myself, I think it will be a shame if the story unfolds on the screens before than in the pages of the two remaining books, even if the TV Series are not 100% accurate in comparison to the books.

I certainly won't be watching it before I read it. I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to books :D they always come first for me.

I would usually agree with you on books being a priority over film/TV, but I'm making an exception for this particular, brilliant HBO series. It's just so damn good, I don't want to spoil it for myself (and the person I'm watching it with). I don't think I could enjoy it the same way if I knew what was coming / would be comparing storylines in my mind, adapting my imagination of characters with the looks of the actors, etc.

It is really hard though, to resist reading the books, because 1. I'm sure I will enjoy them a lot 2. I already bought them (and they keep staring at me)
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #1022: May 22, 2014 12:23:06 pm
      Anyone finished watching the second season of Hannibal? Only seen the first episode of it so I'm hoping to hear it's still as dark and gruesome as it was in the first season.

Also came across this article (written last year) of how the meals Hannibal cooks are prepared for the show. Thought it was fascinating and makes me feel less guilty about how delicious they look. :D
      rayniac
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #1023: May 23, 2014 12:15:54 pm
      I would usually agree with you on books being a priority over film/TV, but I'm making an exception for this particular, brilliant HBO series. It's just so damn good, I don't want to spoil it for myself (and the person I'm watching it with). I don't think I could enjoy it the same way if I knew what was coming / would be comparing storylines in my mind, adapting my imagination of characters with the looks of the actors, etc.

It is really hard though, to resist reading the books, because 1. I'm sure I will enjoy them a lot 2. I already bought them (and they keep staring at me)

talking about books vs. TV series, I found a related infographic. GoT really has the worst book-to-screentime-ratio: http://www.statista.com/chart/2113/book-to-tv-adaptations/
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #1024: Jun 02, 2014 06:05:19 pm
      Tell me someone has seen last nights GOT? I need to discuss!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #1025: Jun 02, 2014 09:23:12 pm
      Tell me someone has seen last nights GOT? I need to discuss!
      Cant discuss without spoilers. What a shocker right????? Pretty gruesome too

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1026: Jun 03, 2014 12:49:05 am
      Yeah, without spoiling anything for those who haven't watched it yet, that was, from start to finish, one of the best episodes of the entire show so far.
      Bier
      Reply #1027: Jun 03, 2014 01:37:37 am
      Loved the eipsode too! I could see "it" coming from a mile away though. I'm very excited for the last 2 episodes of this season, but I also dread the long wait after that!
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #1028: Jun 03, 2014 02:01:17 am
      Yeah, without spoiling anything for those who haven't watched it yet, that was, from start to finish, one of the best episodes of the entire show so far.

This, a million times this.

The end had me staring at the credits for five minutes.

Sansas character dev this season and this episode in particular has been brilliant.

Arya and the hound continue to entertain.

Can't wait for next week's episode with the castle black sh*t going down.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1029: Jun 03, 2014 09:59:14 am

Sansas character dev this season and this episode in particular has been brilliant.

Interesting you say that about Sansa, whose storyline the producers seem to be accelerating a bit compared to the books. I actually usually don't find her that great a character in the books or show but her scenes in this episode were very good and I thought the actress (I forget her name) was brilliant.

The last two episodes are going to be awesome I hope. There's a lot that they've really got to put in this season and I reckon I know what the last thing we see will be...
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1030: Jun 03, 2014 12:30:42 pm
      Anyone watch Silicon Valley? The season finale had one of the most beautiful dick jokes ever.

Silicon Valley Season 1 Episode 8 (S01E08) || Erlich's Dick Theory/Dick Joke Scene
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1031: Jun 03, 2014 12:58:33 pm
      Interesting you say that about Sansa, whose storyline the producers seem to be accelerating a bit compared to the books. I actually usually don't find her that great a character in the books or show but her scenes in this episode were very good and I thought the actress (I forget her name) was brilliant.

The last two episodes are going to be awesome I hope. There's a lot that they've really got to put in this season and I reckon I know what the last thing we see will be...

I've started reading the books again, which probably isn't the best idea while watching the series at the same time  :laugh:
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #1032: Jun 03, 2014 04:14:59 pm

Oooooooooohhhhhh cant wait to see how the sh*t hits the fan!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1033: Jun 03, 2014 04:22:52 pm
      The books are so good. The 5th is amazing.
      I don't care about the series right now.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1034: Jun 08, 2014 03:54:22 pm
      Talyn....Starburst

And so ends Crais's arc in Farscape.  lt suits the character so well, in fact all the characters are very well written, even the puppets. one season to go, plus the special. 

Quick Reply