Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 309446 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #2001: Jul 22, 2017 07:13:02 pm
      Someone had so much time on their hands that they decided to watch every episode of The Simpsons (all 600 odd) and charted it's rise and fall in quality.

https://twitter.com/solmaquina/status/878252029960966146
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2002: Jul 23, 2017 07:10:52 pm
      Someone had so much time on their hands that they decided to watch every episode of The Simpsons (all 600 odd) and charted it's rise and fall in quality.

https://twitter.com/solmaquina/status/878252029960966146

"Someone" ie a demented manc tw*t you mean?

Or to make absolute sure a demented tw*t that could be just residing in Manc land!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2003: Jul 25, 2017 03:18:00 am
      Sounds promising - don't know whether it will be along the lines of the likes of Band of Brothers and Pacific.

Michael Mann to direct a Vietnam War TV series

Michael Mann will return to TV for Hue 1968, a Vietnam War drama on FX...

Michael Mann is heading back to TV. Way back in his early days as a writer/producer, he worked on episodes of Starsky And Hutch and Miami Vice. Of course, he went on direct massive movies such as Heat, The Last Of The Mohicans, Ali and Collateral.

And now, with the golden age of 'peak TV' continuing, FX has snapped up Mann to helm a new war drama. The show will adapt Hue 1968, Mark Bowden's bestseller, all about American involvement in the conflict. (You might recognise Bowden's name - he also wrote the book that became Black Hawk Down.)

Mann will direct multiple episodes, including the first one. There are expected to be 8-10 episodes in total, making this very much a limited series. Filming is expected to start, in Asian locations, by the end of this year.

Deadline reports that the show will "humanize the conflict by telling the story through the eyes of different characters on both sides over a 26-day period."

Deadline also offers this big paragraph of info...

The intertwined characters include a seemingly innocent schoolgirl on a bike, whose heart had hardened her into a revolutionary after her sister was executed, leading her to help smuggle weapons; a former NFL tackle who became a U.S. Marine colonel and tactician; a Buddhist poet-turned-Viet Cong commissar; an American civilian meeting his Vietnamese fiancée’s family; a math teacher from Hanoi in the North Vietnamese Army; a Marine captain radio operator from Pennsylvania, who immersed himself in local culture and language and then found himself unable to convince his supervisors that Hue had been overrun by conventional infantry; and President Lyndon Johnson in his pajamas in the White House with Gen. William Westmoreland, a sleepover guest who presented a rosy view of progress in Vietnam. The limited series will follow Bowden’s narrative structure to make understandable why bloody events unfolded the way they did and made clear that Vietnam was an unwinnable war for the U.S.

Michael De Luca - producer of The Social Network, American History X, Moneyball and many others - will exec produce the series, alongside Mann and FX.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/hue-1968/50544/michael-mann-to-direct-a-vietnam-war-tv-series

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2004: Jul 25, 2017 03:26:26 am
      Watched Taboo.

I thought it was dark enough, but slow as F**k.

If it hadn't have been for Tom Hardy I would have fu**ed it off rapid.

Kept thinking it would liven up a bit more after the first couple of episodes (as they typically introduce the characters and all that biz), but it didn't really, well not until ep08 when the series finished.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #2005: Jul 26, 2017 07:16:58 am
      Game of Thrones starting to gather pace now. Enjoying the Thronecast on Sky Atlantic as well.

Read stuff recently about there being spin offs to follow.

Think whatever happens now, Game of Thrones goes down as one of the best TV shows ever but the producers need to tread carefully here. It'll be very hard for them to make another series from the same world that lives up to the original.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2006: Jul 26, 2017 11:29:15 am
      Last Chance U, season 2, on netflix.

Strangely compelling.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2007: Aug 02, 2017 02:20:30 pm
      Watched seasons 3 to 7 (the 3 released episodes so far) of Game of Thrones in just a bit over a week, haha. I was supposed to be writing a dissertation.

I'm the kind of purist (one might say pedantic) nerd that always goes for the book before tv series or movies, so I've read all five books and had been refusing to get back to the series up to now.

I've waited far too long for that f**king 6th book though, and after reading news that it probably won't be out before the end of next year, I decided to stop waiting and watch the remaining episodes. It's a shame because I'd much rather read everything first, but it's annoying to see everyone talking about it knowing I am stuck at a certain point of the story and probably will be for years to come.

Well, the books are far more nuanced and give much greater depth to characters, as is to be expected in god knows how many pages they have. Some characters, in particular, are almost entirely irrelevant in the series but I loved them in the books (Doran Martell, for example, or Maester Aemon), but generally the series does a pretty good job. I don't understand the reason for some of the changes they've made to the story (why does Robb's wife have to be from Volantis? It's just a pointless change), but that's probably the purist in me talking.

The one thing I disliked in the series, however, is whatever happens beyond the wall. Their depiction of the White Walkers is frankly ridiculous, they look like something out of The Walking Dead - and that's not a compliment, I think TWD is horrible. That incident in Hardhome never happened in the books and seems to me to have been added just for style and to show off some visual effects. Not all that interesting in my opinion. Same goes for the Children of the Forest and Brandon Stark's role in the series, their depiction is even aesthetically crap, and Bran's period with the three-eyed-raven seems far too rushed and disjointed with the rest of the show. The books do a better job of making you empathize with him, in such a way that Bran became one of my favourite characters.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2008: Aug 03, 2017 10:42:12 pm
      Big recommend it The Ozarks
      On Netflix.
      Damn good
      Also just started watching Bloodline. Only 6 episodes in but great so far
      What was utter pants was the OJ Simpson drama with Cuba gooding. Don't get why it got the plaudits. Terrible acting, script, direction and editing. Really is dire. Don't get it at all. The ESPN documentary was far far more interesting and powerful.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2009: Aug 04, 2017 12:13:05 pm
      Big recommend it The Ozarks
      On Netflix.
      Damn good
      Also just started watching Bloodline. Only 6 episodes in but great so far
      What was utter pants was the OJ Simpson drama with Cuba gooding. Don't get why it got the plaudits. Terrible acting, script, direction and editing. Really is dire. Don't get it at all. The ESPN documentary was far far more interesting and powerful.

I wasn't really impressed with Ozark.
      It was OK, and worth a watch, but for me it tried to shoehorn too much into too little time, with the result that it looked too forced, like it was trying too hard.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2010: Aug 04, 2017 12:17:43 pm
      Just watching all three seasons of 'In the Line of Duty' on Netflix.

Think it's absolutely fantastic and brilliantly written.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2011: Aug 04, 2017 03:23:35 pm
      Season 3 of Narcos due in September

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ory6b2EJ3Bk
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2012: Aug 05, 2017 01:52:42 pm
      Couldn't help myself, and watched the (low res) leak of the next GoT.

Brilliant.
      Absolutely brilliant.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2013: Aug 05, 2017 01:54:13 pm
      Just seen first episode of false flag, looks good.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2014: Aug 07, 2017 10:04:56 pm
      Most thrilling Game of Thrones episode yet.

Absolutely incredible.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2015: Aug 07, 2017 10:32:20 pm
      Most thrilling Game of Thrones episode yet.

Absolutely incredible.

Was on the edge of my seat, so so good.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2016: Aug 07, 2017 10:36:42 pm
      Was on the edge of my seat, so so good.

Up there with the best battles ever put on screen.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2017: Aug 07, 2017 10:39:26 pm
      Loving the dragon scene.

Also, Jamie lives.

Yea Bronn will save him... again.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2018: Aug 08, 2017 01:25:02 pm
      Watched it again, in better res.
      F***ing Epic.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2019: Aug 08, 2017 01:44:43 pm
      Funnily enough I didn't like the last episode all that much :D I guess it all comes down to me being a pedantic books-first type of person, and some stuff in the series frustrate me as hell. Shallow dialogue but enough visual effects to compensate, I guess.

The reaction of the Starks meeting each other after years of not knowing where they were or if they were even alive was just so bland it felt fake, not human. I think again it comes down to reading their years of sufferings in far more detail than you get to see in the series, and how they all yearned for getting back to Winterfell and their family. They practically seem to show no interest in each other's stories, or show any surprise. Take the reaction from Arya in hearing that Bran knew all about her list and that he had visions. I would expect *wtf tell me everything*, but rather it comes across as *yeah sure perfectly normal go on then, I'll ask nothing*. :D

Small things but they annoyed me.

The action scenes were visually superb but I'm getting tired of all the last-minute, nearly death experiences in every single battle that the main characters have. Or the personal focus on them, while death surrounds them from all sides but they remain untouched somehow. Why the f**k was that machine unmanned and why would it need Bronn himself to go after it, in the middle of the battle? It's just silly and unrealistic, obviously if that was their main hope in case of an attack from the dragons then obviously they'd have been prepared.

Anyway, I obviously enjoyed watching it, and can't wait for the next episodes, I'm just being far too easily annoyed I guess ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2020: Aug 08, 2017 01:49:29 pm
      Funnily enough I didn't like the last episode all that much :D I guess it all comes down to me being a pedantic books-first type of person, and some stuff in the series frustrate me as hell. Shallow dialogue but enough visual effects to compensate, I guess.

The reaction of the Starks meeting each other after years of not knowing where they were or if they were even alive was just so bland it felt fake, not human. I think again it comes down to reading their years of sufferings in far more detail than you get to see in the series, and how they all yearned for getting back to Winterfell and their family. They practically seem to show no interest in each other's stories, or show any surprise. Take the reaction from Arya in hearing that Bran knew all about her list and that he had visions. I would expect *wtf tell me everything*, but rather it comes across as *;D yeah sure perfectly normal go on then, I'll ask nothing*. :D

Small things but they annoyed me.

The action scenes were visually superb but I'm getting tired of all the last-minute, nearly death experiences in every single battle that the main characters have. Or the personal focus on them, while death surrounds them from all sides but they remain untouched somehow. Why the F**k was that machine unmanned and why would it need Bronn himself to go after it, in the middle of the battle? It's just silly and unrealistic, obviously if that was their main hope in case of an attack from the dragons then obviously they'd have been prepared.

Anyway, I obviously enjoyed watching it, and can't wait for the next episodes, I'm just being far too easily annoyed I guess ;D

I'm the same as far as the books go.
      It used to annoy the crap out of me when the series moved so far away from the books (and books are always better), but I just keep them separate in my mind now, and watch the series as though it has nothing to do with the books.

The problem will come when Winds Of Winter comes out; will I be sitting there reading, then suddenly saying out loud "that didn't happen in the F***ing TV series"  :laugh:
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #2021: Aug 16, 2017 03:32:52 pm
      Game of Thrones episode 6 has been leaked now.  Somehow HBO Spain accidentally broadcast it.  :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2022: Aug 16, 2017 09:36:12 pm
      A show worth a look if you haven't before is currently running from the first episode again on Dave.

Dave Gormans Modern Life is Goodish.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #2023: Aug 17, 2017 07:12:35 am
      I've just finished watching Outcast. It's only two seasons but a decent show.

About a man with a gift to sort of exercise demons out of people. Only in season one he doesn't really realise what it is that he can do.

I'm also half way through season one of Hannibal. Deffo worth a watch.

Quick Reply