Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

RIP Gary Speed

Read 11740 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Gary Speed dead aged 42
      Reply #92: Nov 28, 2011 02:16:37 am
       Ther has to be something drastically wrong for a 42 year old man to take his own life,it must be very difficult for his familt to handle as well.Commiserations to Gary's family.
      zodak
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts | 10 
      Reply #93: Nov 28, 2011 04:17:42 am
      RIP Gary.

Condolences to the Speed family - devastating news.

I was chatting with an old mate - and we were talking about how when we were young lads, playing CM, Gary was one of those guys you just had to have in your team!

Gary - you'll always be a legend.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,791 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #94: Nov 28, 2011 07:58:55 am
      RIP Gary.

Condolences to his loved ones.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #95: Nov 28, 2011 08:51:44 am
      So sad - seemed to have it all.

RIP Gary.

A true footballing gentleman.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #96: Nov 28, 2011 09:22:39 am
      Hearing some things about the death of Gary Speed up here and its absolutely sickening if true.

What I've been told is one of the nationals had found out Gary Speed was gay and they planned to reveal all in the papers.

So, are they any happier now that Gary is gone? RIP.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #97: Nov 28, 2011 09:51:02 am
      Well, i still can't believe it myself, woke up this morning thinking it was just a bad dream, a nightmare even. The manager of my national team, a model professional, a true family man and respected by all and sundry in the footballing fraternity. Such a shock, you'd never hear anyone have a bad word to say about Gary.

My thoughts go out to his family at this very trying and difficult time. I'm not being funny here but would it be possible to change the topic title to 'passes on', dead seems so clinical and Gary deserves more than that.

I also appreciate that there is much speculation surrounding his sudden passing but i'd like it if people were to keep that kind of talk off the boards, out of respect for Gary and his grieving family. A true legend has passed on so let's remember all the good he did, all the players who had the pleasure of being in his presence, the fans and of course the Welsh National side who must be absolutely devastated at losing the man they all looked up to and wanted to be like.

Gorwedd Mewn Hedd Cymro.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: RIP Gary Speed
      Reply #98: Nov 28, 2011 10:03:20 am
      Still can get my head around this sad news. Heaven only knows how his family are feeling.

I don't think speculation in the media at this time is right. I think his family should be allowed time to grieve. For that reason, I'm just paying my respects to a gentlemen of our great sport.

RIP Gary Speed. YNWA
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #99: Nov 28, 2011 11:07:03 am
      Rest In Peace Gary
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #100: Nov 28, 2011 04:35:18 pm
      Gary Speed: A life in numbers

3 years and 2 days: His death came almost three years to the day after his last game as a footballer, in Sheffield United’s 3-1 defeat to Wolves in November 2008. Despite that, he didn’t announce his retirement as a player until 18 months later at the end of the 2009/10 season

22 years, 7 months, 24 days: His age when he helped Leeds United to the Football League title in 1992, the last season before the formation of the Premier League. His fellow midfielders in that side included Gary McAllister

4: Number of top flight clubs he played for – Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton. He went on to play in the Championship for Sheffield United, who he also managed

777: The number of competitive league and cup games he played in

17: Seasons in the top flight, straddling the Division One and Premier League eras

1st player to make 500 Premier League appearances, a milestone he reached in December 2006

535: Premier League appearances, which set a record that David James and Ryan Giggs subsequently eclipsed

1 in 6: His goals per game ratio throughout his career (127 goals in 777 games), an exceptional record for a box-to-box midfielder

4: Losing Wembley appearances. Speed was part of the Newcastle side that lost FA Cup finals to Arsenal and Manchester United in 1998 and ’99 and was also on the Leeds side in the 3-0 League Cup final defeat to Aston Villa in ’96. He returned to Wembley as manager of Wales this year, but was again on the wrong end of a 3-0 defeat to England

£5.5m: His biggest transfer fee, which Newcastle paid Everton in 1998. Everton had signed Speed from Leeds for £3.5m two years previously

10: International games as manager – he replaced John Toshack as Wales boss late last year

67: The number of world ranking places Wales climbed during the final three months of Speed’s all-too-brief time in charge. The Welsh were 117th in the world in August but are listed at 50th in the latest list published Fifa following four wins from their last five games

39%: His win percentage as a manager. Sheffield United won six of the 18 games in which Speed was in charge, while Wales won half of their 10

1: MBE. Awarded in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List in 2010 for services to football

85: Caps for Wales between 1990 and 2004. As a comparison to underline his commitment to the cause, Speed’s approximate contemporary Ryan Giggs played just 64 internationals in a 16-year international career

2nd most capped Wales player after long-serving former Everton goalkeeper Neville Southall
      http://www.joe.ie/football/football-features/gary-speed-a-life-in-numbers-0018126-1

Impressive record for the man. I always thought he was one of the cool-headed players in PL. Wales has been on the rise when he took over the reign.
      He has won my respect and for that I always looked up to him as one of the PL legends. RIP Gary Speed.

Sad to see the way Given reacted when he knew about Speed.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #101: Nov 28, 2011 06:37:40 pm
      Watched Sky Sports News earlier with Bryn Law reporting outside Elland Road, it actually brought tears to my eyes.

RIP Gary Speed
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2842 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #102: Nov 28, 2011 06:51:42 pm
      Words fail me

What a loss. His poor wife and kids. Tragic. May they find the strenght to get through this

R.I.P Gary. Fine footballer and Ive yet to hear a bad word spoken of him 
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #103: Nov 28, 2011 07:38:24 pm
      I record Footy Focus every Saturday on the HD box as i'm usually off to football as it starts. I watched a bit of it earlier and simply can't believe it to see how chipper he wa son the program. It's unbelievable.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #104: Nov 28, 2011 07:40:55 pm
      Still numb about this, just cant make sense of it.

Loads of rumours going around as you'd expect in this day and age but just hope the press and everyone leaves the family and his friends to be at such an terrible time.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #105: Nov 28, 2011 09:20:38 pm
      Still numb about this, just cant make sense of it.

Loads of rumours going around as you'd expect in this day and age but just hope the press and everyone leaves the family and his friends to be at such an terrible time.
      Forget about the rumours and just remember a great footballer, a great manager and most importantly a great man has passed away. Gary Speed rest in peace!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #106: Nov 28, 2011 10:13:17 pm
      Really can't believe it. There has to be something serious wrong for a person who seems to be so happy to take their own life. Thought it was some kind of a joke at first, just so shocking and unbelievable, especially the way he was working the day before and seemed normal! Thoughts are with his friends and family at this time, if we are all shocked i dread to think how his family must be.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #107: Dec 03, 2011 03:46:12 pm
      Interesting to hear Millwall fans weren't allowed up to their seats until after the minutes silence/applause was observed.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #108: Dec 04, 2011 12:08:35 pm
      A week on and I still can't believe this has happened. Never really been effected by a Footballer dying as much as this.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #109: Dec 04, 2011 02:07:21 pm
      Nice gesture by Gareth Bale yesterday, had RIP Gary Speed on his boots.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #110: Dec 07, 2011 11:51:50 pm
       Gary. YNWA.
      « Last Edit: Dec 08, 2011 12:51:48 am by MsGerrard »
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #111: Dec 08, 2011 09:32:30 am
      Forget about the rumours and just remember a great footballer, a great manager and most importantly a great man has passed away. Gary Speed rest in peace!

This

I think its better to leave the rumours on the likes of twitter.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #112: Jan 30, 2012 08:19:55 pm
      Narrative verdict on Speed

A coroner has ruled that the death of former Wales football manager Gary Speed may have been an accident.

In a narrative verdict, Cheshire coroner Nicholas Rheinberg gave the cause of death as hanging but said "the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental".

The inquest at Warrington Coroner's Court heard that Speed texted his wife days before his death and "talked in terms of taking his life". The couple also "had words" on the night before he was found dead after they had been to a dinner party at a friend's house.

Speed, who played for Leeds, Everton, Newcastle, Bolton and Sheffield United, was found hanged at his Cheshire home on November 27 last year by his wife Louise, but Mr Rheinberg said on Monday that the football manager may have "nodded off" while sitting with cable around his neck on the stairs in his garage.

Mrs Speed told the inquest her husband had talked in terms of taking his life in the text exchange days earlier but that he "dismissed it", saying that he was "excited" about the future with his wife and two sons. Mrs Speed said the text referred to their "ups and downs" but went on about "how important the boys were" and about "moving forward".

"We walked in the house and we had an exchange of words about something and nothing," Mrs Speed said.

She said she suggested she go for a drive but her husband blocked the door and told her she "wasn't going anywhere".

"I went upstairs and lay on the bed for probably about five or ten minutes," she said. "Then I decided to go for a drive, to clear my mind (and for) space to think."

Questioned further by Mr Rheinberg, she said she only drove to the "top of the road" before she stopped to ring her husband's mobile phone. After getting no reply, she returned to the house and tried, unsuccessfully, to ring him again. "I decided to keep the car running and stay there until I could get into the house," she explained.

After getting some sleep in the vehicle she told the hearing she woke up at about 6am and went to the outside bathroom. She said she noticed some shed keys missing that were usually stored there and went to the shed to see if Gary was there, before moving to the garage.

Blinking away tears she said: "I went to the window and there I saw him."

She nodded as Mr Rheinberg asked: "Could you see Gary on the stairs? Was it apparent that Gary was hanging?"

"Yes," Mrs Speed told him.

She said she then woke the children to open up the house and called the emergency services. On their advice, she cut her husband to the ground as paramedics were sent to the scene.

The sportsman was hanging from a banister with a piece of television aerial, the court has heard, and Mrs Speed confirmed there was no note or message left by her husband before his death.

In a statement read out after the inquest, Mr Speed's family said the day of his death was the "worst day of our lives" but his memory "shines brightly in our thoughts".

Earlier Mr Rheinberg told the hearing the couple had clearly been going through a "difficult time". Mr Speed was appointed as manager of the Welsh team in December 2010 and Mr Rheinberg said: "It's clear that with the appointment as manager came responsibilities."

He said Mrs Speed "talked in terms of some stresses, including some stresses within their relationship, partly brought about by forced absences, and clearly the couple were going through something of a difficult time, but nothing that couldn't be sorted out".

He said "nothing abnormal" had happened in the days leading up to Mr Speed's death. He appeared on BBC1's Football Focus programme and met up with his friend and former Newcastle United team-mate Alan Shearer, who was in Salford recording Match of the Day, before going home to Huntington Hall, Chester.

He and his wife then went to a dinner party where at one point Mr Speed was pushed into a swimming pool. Mr Rheinberg said he joined in "with gusto".

Asked if the Wales job was forcing him to spend more time away from his family, Mrs Speed said: "I think he was spending more hours there than he thought he would do initially."

Mr Rheinberg then asked if it was difficult for both of them "spending long periods apart".

Mrs Speed responded: "Yes."

Mr Rheinberg asked if this had "put some degree of stress" on their relationship.

She responded: "I would say so, yes."

Mrs Speed said they had been "working through" their "ups and downs".

The inquest heard that investigators believed Mr Speed had been sitting on the stairs in his garage with the ligature around his neck. Mr Rheinberg said: "It seems likely that Mr Speed was sitting for some time with a ligature around his neck.

"It may have been that this was some sort of dramatic gesture, not normally in Mr Speed's character, but, nonetheless, a possibility."

Mr Rheinberg said it was a "possibility" he was sitting there for some time and he "nodded off to sleep" with the cable around his neck.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1015248/coroner-rules-gary-speed-death-may-have-been-accidental?cc=5739
      LFCexiled
      Reply #113: Jan 30, 2012 08:22:16 pm
      Is it just my suspicious mind or does this not make sense at all?

Gary Speed Death May Have Been An Accident

Gary Speed died from hanging but his death may have been an accident, a coroner has ruled, after his wife told the inquest into his death they "had words" on the morning he died.

Recording a narrative verdict, Cheshire coroner Nicholas Rheinberg said there was no evidence to suggest the Wales football manager intended to take his own life.

He said it was possible Speed could have "nodded off" while sitting with cable round his neck on the stairs in his garage.

Speed, 42, was found on November 27 at the family home in Huntington, near Chester.

Earlier, Speed's wife Louise told the hearing they had "had words" on the morning she found him hanged.

Giving evidence, Mrs Speed began crying as she described how she found her husband's body in a garage and went on to tell how she had tried in vain to revive him.

She said they had been driven back from a party together shortly after midnight and "had an exchange of words about something and nothing" when they got home.

Mrs Speed left the house at 1.15am, which was the last time she saw him alive.

She told how when she returned a short time later, the house was locked and she could not get hold of her husband so she slept in the car. She awoke at 6am and got inside the house, finding his body a short time later.

Her husband - who played for Sheffield United, Everton, Newcastle, Leeds and Bolton - had left no note, the inquest heard.

Describing their text conversation days before his death, she said it referred to their "ups and downs" but went on about "how important the boys were" and about "moving forward".

She said he "dismissed" the idea of killing himself, and he was "excited" about his future with his family.

The inquest also heard evidence from Gary Speed's parents and former England footballer Alan Shearer, who told the inquest he was "shocked to hear of his friend's death".

Richard Bevan, of the League Footballer's Association, read a statement from Mrs Speed and her family outside court after the verdict.

He said: "Gary's death and the manner of it made Sunday, November 27, the worst day of our lives.

"Throughout the nine weeks since, there have been some very dark moments, which we have all had to find different ways to endure.

"Now we have to adapt to the future without a husband, father, brother and son.

"Gary's memory shines brightly in our thoughts and we will forever remember the wonderful times we shared with him and the deep love and affection he offered so freely to our close-knit family."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16159085
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #114: Jan 30, 2012 11:26:04 pm
      Is it just my suspicious mind or does this not make sense at all?
      Was thinking the same mate. Certainly appears quite odd in some respects.

Quick Reply