Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who's going to win tonight's Euro 2012 Final

Spain
      14 (56%)
      Italy
      11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Euro 2012

Read 80866 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: Euro 2012- Finals
      Reply #92: Jun 01, 2012 11:59:07 pm
      ^^  :laugh: That is superb  ;D
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #93: Jun 02, 2012 12:06:48 am
      Hodgson's heroes, my arse.

More like Hodgson's half-arsed, hellish, horrible tactics.
      BroganHill16
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #94: Jun 02, 2012 02:43:01 pm
      for any Englishmen slagging Ireland. This is probably the worst England team ever to go to the Euros. They will be lucky to get out of the group.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #95: Jun 04, 2012 05:18:37 pm
      for any Englishmen slagging Ireland. This is probably the worst England team ever to go to the Euros. They will be lucky to get out of the group.

Havent read many if any English or scousers slaging Ireland. I have. Calling up a player with no club to your squad is a fooking joke as was selecting a player (kevin Foley) and deselecting him saying he wasnt fit yet he played a game to prove his fitness.

If the best 23 Ireland players were selected we'd be a very good side, that aint happening tho
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #96: Jun 04, 2012 06:49:36 pm
      Havent read many if any English or scousers slaging Ireland. I have. Calling up a player with no club to your squad is a fooking joke as was selecting a player (kevin Foley) and deselecting him saying he wasnt fit yet he played a game to prove his fitness.

If the best 23 Ireland players were selected we'd be a very good side, that aint happening tho

Hang on now;

Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe
      15 - Republic of Ireland are unbeaten in 15 games away from home in all competitions and have kept clean sheets in their last five. Resolute

Only messing, you're right mate. I feel for Foley he's not a world beater but I rate him more than Paul McShane. I'm not a big Trappatoni fan either, he's grand for where we are as a football team. Will scrap a result and get you to these tournaments, but if we're 0-0 in the last game of the group stages needing a win to go through he won't go all in. I just think we need someone a bit braver.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #97: Jun 04, 2012 06:52:10 pm

At International level, having the best players does not make you the best team. It's all about the team as one unit, pride in the jersey, wanting to play for their country. Just because individually they are not the best does not mean collectively they are decent.

Gary Breen was called up with no club and he is an icon of Irish football.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #98: Jun 04, 2012 07:22:26 pm
      At International level, having the best players does not make you the best team. It's all about the team as one unit, pride in the jersey, wanting to play for their country. Just because individually they are not the best does not mean collectively they are decent.

Is he?

As for the football aspect, Ill say this, Ireland will always have a chance in qualifiers we are tough to beat but when we get there and have to go win games well its a different kettle of fish. 4 4 2 against Croatia Spain and Italy could work out terrible. Does he have plan B? We will see.

I really believe if we picked our best 11 and set them out to go and play to win we'd surprise a lot of people including our own fans
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #99: Jun 04, 2012 07:29:02 pm

Is he?

As for the football aspect, Ill say this, Ireland will always have a chance in qualifiers we are tough to beat but when we get there and have to go win games well its a different kettle of fish. 4 4 2 against Croatia Spain and Italy could work out terrible. Does he have plan B? We will see.

I really believe if we picked our best 11 and set them out to go and play to win we'd surprise a lot of people including our own fans

I think ye both make good points and I think the key to success is a mixture of both.

4-4-2 against Spain could end up as a disaster but if we have the players that are willing to run themselves into the ground for the cause we can give ourselves a chance. The Russia match is a prime example of that. I know Spain are going to be a much tougher challenge than Russia but the team will know that too. They know what it will mean to pull off (dare I say it) a victory against the European and World Champions. We need the technical players to carry out whatever formation we go for but equally we need the players to fight enough to keep doing their jobs for 90 mins and beyond.

For the record lads I'm just delighted we got there. :P
      Bier
      Reply #100: Jun 04, 2012 07:31:22 pm
      Not a fan of Trapattoni, or more his tactics especially. I know he's had a succesful career as a manager, but he really is the old style catenaccio type manager. I've never enjoyed seeing any team play under his command.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #101: Jun 04, 2012 07:57:02 pm
      Not a fan of Trapattoni, or more his tactics especially. I know he's had a succesful career as a manager, but he really is the old style catenaccio type manager. I've never enjoyed seeing any team play under his command.

Same mate but for now he fits Ireland. We don't really have the players to play creative flowing football. Until Messi and Ronaldo turn out to have Irish grandparents (everyone seems to these days. ;) ) he'll get us to these tournaments one way or another.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #102: Jun 04, 2012 10:53:39 pm
      Being forced to watch the Jubilee celebrations is making me even more eager for the Euros to start.

JUST START THE EUROS NOW!!!!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #103: Jun 05, 2012 12:52:02 am
      Ireland play like Stoke.

Spewing Olic out for Croatia.
      BroganHill16
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #104: Jun 05, 2012 04:58:25 pm
      I think we could get a Draw against Croatia. A loss against Spain and we can beat the Italians. 4 points will qualify us in 2nd place behind Spain. We will go on the play France(Who will top their group) in the 1/4 Finals. Getting past France will be difficult but anything can happen.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #105: Jun 05, 2012 04:59:07 pm
      Germany or Netherlands to win it.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #106: Jun 05, 2012 06:00:30 pm
      Germany or Netherlands to win it.

I'm thinking Germany.

France could be a surprise package after their rehaul after the World Cup.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #107: Jun 05, 2012 06:17:33 pm
      Germany for me.

As for Ireland, well says it all sticking to 4 4 2 in a friendly that ended 0 all. No plan B even in a freindly. What will he do in the Euros when he needs one. Silly man.

I had a feeling we might actually come out of the group but that was before last night. Heres the team to play Croatia (bar injuries)

Given, OShea Dunne St Leger Ward. Duff Whelan Andrews McGeady. Keane Doyle. Thtas how obvious it is. And if he goes 4 5 1 hell drop Keane back or drop drop Doyle and bring Gibson in
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,875 posts | 704 
      Reply #108: Jun 05, 2012 07:53:58 pm
      Ireland are now 14 games unbeaten, so Trappattoni's tactics work. They might be predictable, but they work.
      BroganHill16
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #109: Jun 05, 2012 07:56:34 pm
      Bier
      Reply #110: Jun 05, 2012 08:15:59 pm
      Ireland are now 14 games unbeaten, so Trappattoni's tactics work. They might be predictable, but they work.
      And out of those 14 games you haven't won a single game against a good team or did you? And out of those 14 probably probably half are draws? I'm afraid you'll see this Euros against Croatia, Spain and Italy how those tactics won't get you anywhere. And what will you be left with then? Some horrible football that didn't get you anywhere, won't be respected by anyone, and certainly won't have made your players any better or have inspired a new generation, unless you aim for a new generation of hoofers.
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2012 09:08:22 pm by Bier »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #111: Jun 05, 2012 09:06:54 pm

Steady on now. The only decent win in that 14 was a friendly win over Italy in Belgium. In those 14 we failed to beat Hungary, Croatia, Czech Rep, Slovakia and Russia, in other words Good sides. In those 14 aside from the Italian win we beat Estonia Macedonia Bosnia Scotland and the North. 6 0f the 14 were draws. So you'll understand me not being over excited
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,875 posts | 704 
      Reply #112: Jun 06, 2012 12:04:12 am
      Quote from Brian78
      Steady on now. The only decent win in that 14 was a friendly win over Italy in Belgium. In those 14 we failed to beat Hungary, Croatia, Czech Rep, Slovakia and Russia, in other words Good sides. So you'll understand me not being over excited

If they're so good, why couldn't they beat Ireland and Ireland'ss dull, predictable tactics?

Hungary and Slovakia will be watching this tournament in a pub, despite how radical and technically gifted they think they are. Russia failed to score at home to Ireland or Slovakia in the qualifiers despite having the ball for the whole of the games. Ireland's record and rankings are not for effect, they're there for a reason, and will be very hard to break down at the finals.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #113: Jun 06, 2012 12:07:29 am
      And out of those 14 games you haven't won a single game against a good team or did you? And out of those 14 probably probably half are draws? I'm afraid you'll see this Euros against Croatia, Spain and Italy how those tactics won't get you anywhere. And what will you be left with then? Some horrible football that didn't get you anywhere, won't be respected by anyone, and certainly won't have made your players any better or have inspired a new generation, unless you aim for a new generation of hoofers.

Ireland to get second in the group ahead of Italy for me. I wish both Ireland and England well. Shame Scotland couldn't be there.
      BroganHill16
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #114: Jun 06, 2012 12:51:32 am
      The Ireland team trained in Poland for the 1st time today and 15 thousand people came to the stadium to watch. A training session. Not a match the vast majority were local Polish people from Gidyna.

Quick Reply