Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Kenny hails the impact made by Damien Comolli

Read 4604 times
      LFCexiled
      Nov 10, 2011 09:58:20 am

KENNY DALGLISH has hailed the impact made by Damien Comolli during his first year at Liverpool.
      The Frenchman was the first major appointment by owners Fenway Sports Group when he arrived at Anfield last November.
      Comolli, who was lured from French outfit St Etienne, was installed as director of football strategy and then back in March he was handed the title of director of football.
      The 38-year-old oversees all football-related matters outside of first team training and selection, including scouting and negotiating transfers.

Comolli has been integral to the rebuilding of Liverpool’s squad, which started with January’s £57.8million double swoop for Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll.

Dalglish is full of praise for Comolli’s efforts over the past 12 months and says he’s been glad to have his assistance in plotting the Reds’ revival.

“I think the position Damien holds in the football club a lot of people frown upon, but since I came in it has been a godsend for myself,” said Dalglish, who had the title of director of football at both Blackburn and Celtic.

“The amount of work he does, the organisation, the recruitment, the scouting of players, all the stuff that a chief executive used to do when I was here before, Damien does most of it.

“It is a fantastic help to a manager to have someone doing all the administration stuff and a lot of the organising regarding scouting and players that we want to go and have a look at to see if we want to sign them. The year that he has been in, the results are there. The amount of transfers in and out and the business that has been done has made the squad a lot stronger than it was before.

“He has done a lot of the work, identified and sent in reports and we have chosen the players.

“He has gone and done the work for the players. Go back to last January when we brought Luis in and right at the death Andy Carroll, that was great business in such a short space of time.”

As well as identifying talent to strengthen the squad, Comolli has also played a key role in off-loading those who were surplus to requirements.

This summer no fewer than 18 players departed either permanently or on loan as the Reds’ bloated wage bill was cut back.

“That was important for the football club, but it was more important for the players,” Dalglish added.

“If we have decided their future does not lie here you are not going to just dismiss them, you want to do something to help them. Through Damien’s contacts a lot of the players got a club somewhere else.

“Everybody who left here has moved on and moved to a club which may not be as good as the one they have left but they have moved on and got themselves fixed up and back playing.

“That is partly due to the contacts Damien has but the players have a part to play in it as well.

“Unfortunately for them they never did what they could here, but that is not to say they cannot do it somewhere else.”
      « Last Edit: Nov 10, 2011 10:11:07 am by JD »
      LFCexiled
      Re: Kenny hails the impact made by Damien Comolli
      Reply #1: Nov 10, 2011 10:01:21 am
      Liverpool chief Henry praises Comolli for overcoming critics in first year at Anfield

John W Henry believes Damien Comolli has emphatically silenced the sceptics as he hailed his first year at Anfield a success.

Liverpool’s principal owner caused eyebrows to be raised last November when he made Comolli his first appointment as the club’s Director of Football following Fenway Sports Group’s takeover.

There was suspicion about what Comolli would contribute, given his spell with Tottenham had in acrimony in 2008, while questions were then raised in January over whether he could work closely with Kenny Dalglish.

But such is the impact Comolli has made, Henry has credited the Frenchman with helping Liverpool 're-establish' a philosophy and insists he has an integral role to play in shaping the club’s future.

‘It's been a great first year,’ said Henry. ‘His accomplishments so far – most of them unseen by people outside the club – have been extremely important. He has organized so much so quickly and so well.‘Stability, clarity and purpose have been established.  A philosophy had been re-established.  And just as importantly there is a strong trust that has developed among staff and has been translated into the dressing room.‘I don't think it was a gamble (to appoint him) at all. I believe not having a Director of Football is a gamble and Kenny agrees with that perception. The manager's job is huge in football throughout the world for large clubs.  No one person can be responsible for every aspect of the operation.’

Dalglish has gone on record several times about how cordial his relationship with Comolli is and Henry – who has stressed that the manager always has the final decision on new signings – says the two men have proven to be an ideal foil.

‘I was speaking with Kenny about it this week and he doesn't see that much difference between our model and the model of Liverpool when he was managing before,’ Henry said. ‘It's up to Damien and his staff to identify, study and acquire the right players, but Kenny always has the ultimate say. The two of them work very, very well with each other.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2059552/John-Henry-praises-Damien-Comolli-Liverpool.html#ixzz1dIMEoSFR
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #2: Nov 10, 2011 10:04:50 am
      I hope this puts to bed the notion some people have that Comolli decides who we buy. Kenny and Damien have always said that the manager has the final say on signings and these articles back this up.

I'm not surprised they are working well together as Kenny has said in the past that he like this system and had something similar during his last spell as manager with Peter Robinson and it is clear that he likes to leave this part of the job to others so he can get on with coaching and picking the team and players.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #3: Nov 10, 2011 10:14:49 am
      “I think the position Damien holds in the football club a lot of people frown upon, but since I came in it has been a godsend for myself,”

I'm sure lots of us were a bit worried about how it would work, but they seem to get on and if the manager appreciates a weight being lifted off him then that's all good.

Good of Kenny to highlight that the club feel they also have a duty of care to former players, and it's something we don't credit Commolli enough for - getting rid of so much of the chaff in a single summer.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Nov 10, 2011 12:20:39 pm
      I'm sure lots of us were a bit worried about how it would work, but they seem to get on and if the manager appreciates a weight being lifted off him then that's all good.

I know I was worried. As usual there were more than a few rumours going around that Kenny was unhappy and that Commolli was being pushed out. Nice to know the rumours were (as usual) complete bollocks.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #5: Nov 10, 2011 12:36:30 pm
      I think the fact it works is largely due to the fact Kenny has no Ego when it comes to what is best for the club.Being an adult he has ensured it has worked well.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Nov 10, 2011 02:09:20 pm
      Comolli looks like a sh*t Brazilian actor, I always feel like laughing when I see his pics.

Anyway, it's good to hear from Kenny himself that they work well together. I particularly like the model FSG has implemented but it can only work if the people involved share the same ideas as they seem to do.

I'm a huge fan of the Moneyball concepts and statistical evaluation of sports, ideas shared by FSG and apparently Comolli as well. So I can't help but like them all ;D

I'd actually be quite interested to do this course with Damien:
      http://www.proedgesportsacademy.com/courses/soccer-scouting-operations/
      :P
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #7: Nov 10, 2011 02:40:22 pm
      A vote of confidence to the murmurs starting or a genuine well done. Only time will tell.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #8: Nov 10, 2011 05:54:36 pm
      I think the fact it works is largely due to the fact Kenny has no Ego when it comes to what is best for the club.Being an adult he has ensured it has worked well.

I agree, lesser managers would have made the situation unworkable. The way Kenny sets about his business is a great credit to his character.
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #9: Nov 10, 2011 06:01:58 pm
      kenny +comolli = legendary(hopefully) :roll:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10: Nov 10, 2011 07:03:10 pm
      13/12 Birthday.

Sign of a Genius.

;D.

!

sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #11: Nov 11, 2011 07:41:02 pm
      intresting partnership..hope it brings us a league title
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #12: Nov 12, 2011 09:13:53 pm
      I hope this puts to bed the notion some people have that Comolli decides who we buy. Kenny and Damien have always said that the manager has the final say on signings and these articles back this up.

I'm not surprised they are working well together as Kenny has said in the past that he like this system and had something similar during his last spell as manager with Peter Robinson and it is clear that he likes to leave this part of the job to others so he can get on with coaching and picking the team and players.

Except Kenny also has stated that he doesn't want to coach and leaves that to Steve Clarke and his team.

Hmm...just what DOES Kenny do all day?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Nov 12, 2011 09:40:13 pm
      Kenny dont negotiate the fees
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #14: Nov 13, 2011 12:01:46 pm
      I was a little bit dubious when he came in, whilst recognizing his impact at Spurs.

He seems to work very hard...gets deals done...and I am happy with the job he is doing.

The work he did in the summer...work that had needed doing for a few years...namely getting rid of all that dead wood that had no place at Liverpool Fc was a job in itself. Overall we have started this season with a leaner squad..less numbers but more quality and as long as we continue to add quality and not quantity...we will be fine going forward!

Kenny seems to rate him...and enjoy working with him and that is the best endorsement Comolli could have !
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: Nov 13, 2011 12:22:58 pm
      A vote of confidence to the murmurs starting or a genuine well done.

Do you not believe Kenny mate?
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #16: Nov 13, 2011 12:30:01 pm

Dalglish would never get involved in mind games in the press or patting someone on the back if he didnt feel it justified. If there was any discontent with anyone...we would never find out about it. It would be dealt with the Liverpool way..behind closed doors and while the King is in charge it would always be that way!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #17: Nov 13, 2011 12:46:41 pm
      Dalglish would never get involved in mind games in the press or patting someone on the back if he didnt feel it justified.

Maybe you should quote corbally's post in your response mate. It'll make more sense then.   8)
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #18: Nov 13, 2011 01:06:10 pm
      Maybe you should quote corbally's post in your response mate. It'll make more sense then.   8)

Probably mate yeah :-)...will try and do it now!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #19: Nov 13, 2011 03:43:41 pm
      A vote of confidence to the murmurs starting or a genuine well done. Only time will tell.

As i read the first four words i thought you'd taken Prozac but my joy was short lived corbally. You had to end the sentence with a negative slant. It seems that remnants of the previous regime still remain in your mind?, that is the only reason i can come up with to justify your constant negativity.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Nov 16, 2011 01:32:11 pm
      All Good !
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe